PDA

View Full Version : It happened again

Lokiare
2013-03-16, 10:55 AM
Once again I suspect that the WotC forums have been hacked. I got this in the mail:

"Hello,

The Wizards Community account associated with this email address has been deactivated for violation of the Code of Conduct, specifically section 6, Room Disruption. You can find our Code of Conduct by clicking here . The violating content can be found below.

lokiare posted:

If that were true the government wouldn't be in a sequester

As a result, this account will no longer be able to access Wizards Community until 18 March 2013. This action has been taken in accordance with our Terms of Service.

Thank you for understanding our position in this matter. You may contact us with any questions regarding this issue.

To login to your account, or update your question please click here .

Online Community Conduct
Wizards of the Coast"

Now, no self respecting moderator would flag that as room disruption (which should only be used in a chat room by the way). So I suspect that the WotC forums have once again been hacked. I've sent an email to their customer support but haven't got a response. Sadly you have to go through their forums to find the customer support email address which means it could have been hacked to. I'm wondering if someone could get in contact with them and let them know of the possibility that their system has been hacked. Thanks.

SilverLeaf167
2013-03-16, 04:29 PM
But you did post that message they quoted? I agree, sounds pretty innocent and definitely not a bannable offense, at least not out of context. Hopefully some can help, but clearing up what exactly this was about would still be useful.

The Glyphstone
2013-03-16, 04:39 PM
I think I can speak from personal experience that any self-respecting moderator would enforce the rules they're in charge of moderating.:smallwink:

This clause is from the Code of Conduct, which I found in 30sec of Googling:

6. Do not disrupt chat, forums, blog comments or other communication channels. For example:

Spam through repeated posts, or off-topic content by word or intent to forums or comments (scrolling, flooding, polling, or by "bumping" a post more than once in 48 hours)
Make off-topic posts or chat or trades in the wrong forums or chat rooms (casual chat or roleplay in rooms or forums not designated for these types of activities)

And matches up exactly to what you were supposedly temp. banned for. Consider Occam's Razor:

1)Nefarious hackers have broken into the Wizards forums, stolen a moderator's account, and banned someone for an alleged offense down to and including the rule they allegedly broke, rather than DDOSing or redirecting to Goatse or something.

2) You were actually banned by an actual moderator, who felt that your comment was off-topic for whatever thread it was posted in. You clearly disagree, but that's between you and the guy who temp. banned you.

dps
2013-03-16, 06:12 PM
Without any context, it's a pretty big assumption that his comment actually violated anything in those terms of contact.

The Glyphstone
2013-03-16, 07:25 PM
Without any context, it's a pretty big assumption that his comment actually violated anything in those terms of contact.

Unless it was in a thread about politics, it would technically have been an off-topic comment. I can see a sufficiently zealous moderator ruling that way, and considering the general population of the WotC forums, I would expect their moderators to be more zealous than average.