PDA

View Full Version : help with character concept

reapersoulEater
2013-03-16, 01:25 PM
my friend is looking to be a pyromaniac/fire elementalist and was wondering if there were any specific prestige classes or feats that would enhance this concept.

please list source book btw Thanks!!

Jeff the Green
2013-03-16, 01:32 PM
There are a lot of ways you could go, but I'll give you the three that come to mind. The least powerful, probably, is pyrokineticist (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/pyrokineticist.htm). Basically you start fires with your mind.

Second would be a Desert Wind specialized swordsage (ToB). You start fires by being an awesome swordsman.

Finally, there's the spellcaster route. Druid is surprisingly good at this, but unless you're specifically burning down cities/farms/villages, the fluff may not work. Cleric's okay, but the fire domain sucks. Sorcerer/wizard are awesome, obviously. Regardless of which spellcasting class you get, you need Searing Spell to combat fire resistance.

(Fire resistance/immunity, BTW, is the bane of all these builds. Spellcasters get around it with Searing Spell, swordsages by using other disciplines or just straight-up attacking, and pyrokineticists don't.)

BowStreetRunner
2013-03-16, 01:35 PM
Elemental Savant (Complete Arcane p32)

Krobar
2013-03-16, 01:40 PM
Elemental Savant (Complete Arcane p32)

This.

Sorcerer w/ Eschew Materials, Searing Spell, and Elemental Savant.

I ran this guy a few years ago. Lots of fun if you want to burn everything to cinders.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-03-16, 01:53 PM
Psion (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/classes/psion.htm) (Kineticist) with Anarchic Initiate, get powers with Energy in the name. If you happen to run into fire-immune opponents, your powers have the built-in ability to switch their damage type each time you use them.

reapersoulEater
2013-03-16, 02:30 PM
Eschew Materials? why would he need this feat btw?

Krobar
2013-03-16, 03:00 PM
Eschew Materials? why would he need this feat btw?

So that when he becomes a fire elemental (the capstone of the Elemental Savant class) he won't be burning up every mundane material component he would otherwise need for casting spells, simply by holding them in his hands.

The Viscount
2013-03-17, 12:26 PM
Shugenja also fits the description, but I almost never hear about someone playing one.