PDA

View Full Version : A World of Hazard and Possibility: Let's build a Setting !

le Suisse
2013-03-16, 01:28 PM
Hello, people of the Playground. Today, I was surfing on the net when a link directed me to this site :http://www.seventhsanctum.com/

Seeing this, I had an idea: what if we used these generators to build a world of our own? Everybody can participate, as long as they follow the rules of this worldbuilding.

Rules:
The Setting Organizer will use the corresponding generators to randomly (without cheating) create the names of the Setting, the World, the lands and their inhabittants, the bad guys, the organizations, the magics, the concepts, etc., and the Setting Contributors have to describe them in depht. If there's more than one description, the participants have to vote for one (each participant one voice by vote).

For the Setting I propose a Fantasy world with a RPG-cliché feel.

I am the Setting Organizer:
Setting: Techno Ocean
World: Thogghuao

The Goodies:

the Anti-Evil Organization: the Choir Of Nanohitmen

the MacGuffing: The seven pieces of the Mask of the Sun

the Ways (the skills used by the heroes, teached to them by their mentors. who then probably got burned alive):-Martial:
-The Fighting Monkey's Way. This art is very famous and taught all over. This warrior's way has an inaccurate reputation for philosophy, and has a casual, but important, focus on enduring damage. This warrior's way is known for the "Raging Combat Grasp" and the "Death Knee".

-The Panther Academy. This martial path is very well-known and only taught in specific schools. This martial art has a well-documented reputation for scholarship, and focuses on grace. This art is known for the "Offensive Battle Fang" and the "Fang Tail".

-Magical:

-Theurgic Chaos Runes: This magical style focuses on both motion and darkness. It requires special poems, the drawing of sigils, and a piece of the target of any spell. This style of magic draws powers from the infernal realms. It's signature spell is The Foul Ceremony of Good.

-Pagan Geomancy: This magical style focuses on holy energy, specifically using it to create mechanisms and augment the caster's abilities. It's signature spell is Sacred Rune of Cold.

Sages, Wizards and other Scholars:
-the Turtle Finder
-the Ethical Conjurer
-the Experimental Geomancer
-the Seer Future Inscriptions
-the Director of Inter-Planar Studies
-the Necromantic Philosopher

The Baddies:
the Big Bad: Ulrguingbaular

the Bigger Bad: (dark god, ruler of the demons, etc.): Natrehza ,The Hateful Emperor That Enlivenes Shadows

Mooks and Monsters (underlings, minions and other enforcers of the Big Bad):

-Astral Hornets From The Cursed Plane
-Bone Burners Of The Slashing God
-Children Of The Eating Goddess
-Final Illusion Ones
-First Wolf Entities
-Forbidden Beasts From Amothasha, The Shadow Sphere
-Legendary Earth Scions
-Lurking Flyers From The Draining Planet
-Offspring Of Bbboghat-tagh
-Wandering Larvae From The Shadow Sphere
-Cremating Fungus-roper
-Ghostillness Drowner
-Light Cat
-Ochre Hornet
-Ochre Raven
-Phased Wing Imp
-Russet Star Bat
-Saintly Lynx
-Scum Brood
-Unknowable Hypnotizer-shredder

Bosses and mid-bosses (not quite characters on their own, these powerful foes are the muscles that make the Big Bad's plan a reality):

-Demonic Demon Boss
-Elder Vulture Offspring
-King Bug Swarm
-Profane Kitten Vagabond
-Whiphaunt
-White Hill Crusher

the Dark Event (necessary to the completion of the Big Bad's Evil Plan of Evil): Outer Wraith's Ritual of Hopelessness

The Uglies
Aside from the Evil Empire of Evil, every world have his lot of problems. On this one, they are:

the Virus: Chaos Dropsy

Independant villains:
-Huntterror The Constructed, Heretic Monk Of The God(dess) Of The Forge
-Oceanthorn The Slasher, Red Socreror Of Fire
-Seekhaunt, Pirate Explorer
-Vaultfight The Miser, Heretic Of The Arctics
-Wavelove The Foul, Unknown Fletcher

the Omnious and Observant Organization: the Reserve Of Millenium Men

the Solitary Behemoth: Vaorang, The Dark Poet Who Desires Oblivion, mountain offspring

the Magical Incident:the Enlivining Nexus

The Dungeons:

-the Ghastly Vault of Despicable Enchantments
-Animated Spire
-the Damned Sanctuary
-the Gorge of the Wind
-the Hidden Cenotaph of Prayers
-the Tunnels of Magic

Anyone? I'll continue if somebody is interested by this.

Tovec
2013-03-16, 06:00 PM
Anyone? I'll continue if somebody is interested by this.

Am I the only one not sure what "this" is?

Octopusapult
2013-03-16, 06:14 PM
Not %100 certain, but I think we're supposed to be detailing the things listed in the spoilers.

le Suisse
2013-03-17, 03:06 AM
Am I the only one not sure what "this" is?

Well, "this" is the setting and yes, people are supposed to write a description of the things listed based on the name.
If somebody has a better idea, let me know.

Tovec
2013-03-17, 03:37 PM
Well, "this" is the setting and yes, people are supposed to write a description of the things listed based on the name.
If somebody has a better idea, let me know.

If that is the intention, then am I right in seeing that you essentially want us to fill in the blanks? Write up descriptions, with nearly no guidance and very little to go on? To make a setting for you?

Octopusapult
2013-03-17, 03:43 PM
The Turtle Finder

Elected every few years by the sages from a collection of island nations in the south is a young man or woman who is trained by the previous Turtle Finder in the ways of hunting down a rare species of Runic Turtles.

The Runic Turtles are born with strange eldritch energies that leave their shells marked with glowing blue / red runes. The Turtle Finders job is to take a small group of sages out on fishing boats, locate these Runic Turtles, and translate the runes to predict omens of good and bad fortune.

Am I doing this right?

Octopusapult
2013-03-17, 03:44 PM
If that is the intention, then am I right in seeing that you essentially want us to fill in the blanks? Write up descriptions, with nearly no guidance and very little to go on? To make a setting for you?

I thought about it that way at first too, but then decided "what the hell, it could be fun."

And at the very least it's a decent writing exercise.

le Suisse
2013-03-18, 07:30 AM

Your right on the concept, wrong on the intention.
The goal is to have fun while creating a setting based on absurd names randomly generated. No, it's not "for me", it's probably not even a thing that will be playable (beside, it's not like "I" have the power of claiming a bunch of writing on a forum as my own). And no, I don't "want you to fill in the blanks", I just hoped people would be interested in a fun way to do world building.

Let's take an example: I see the Choir Of Nanohitmen and it ignite my imagination. Who are they? Why do they fight? Are they really helping the good guys? Who is their chief?, Their founder? Their black sheep?... Then I can write a small text about it.

Octopusaputl, your Turtle finder is great. Very good and very fun writing.

Tovec
2013-03-18, 01:16 PM
Your right on the concept, wrong on the intention.
The goal is to have fun while creating a setting based on absurd names randomly generated. No, it's not "for me", it's probably not even a thing that will be playable (beside, it's not like "I" have the power of claiming a bunch of writing on a forum as my own). And no, I don't "want you to fill in the blanks", I just hoped people would be interested in a fun way to do world building.

Let's take an example: I see the Choir Of Nanohitmen and it ignite my imagination. Who are they? Why do they fight? Are they really helping the good guys? Who is their chief?, Their founder? Their black sheep?... Then I can write a small text about it.

Octopusaputl, your Turtle finder is great. Very good and very fun writing.
Fair enough, I was just confused how this worked or what exactly you wanted us to do.

I still think there isn't enough to go on but Octopusapult apparently has no problem. Good luck with it.

I thought about it that way at first too, but then decided "what the hell, it could be fun."

And at the very least it's a decent writing exercise.

I sadly have too many bits to do on my own setting (which I am already using and trying to update) and so I probably won't be adding any content here unless something really stirs me.

In concept this reminds me of a random fluff thread I used to be on at the WotC boards where the first poster gave a random hook or name and the next reply had to use that term, then that person would give another at the person after them had to use it. It was good material and a good exercise, also clear intention and focus on what the goal was.

Octopusapult
2013-03-18, 01:41 PM
Fair enough, I was just confused how this worked or what exactly you wanted us to do.

I still think there isn't enough to go on but Octopusapult apparently has no problem. Good luck with it.

I sadly have too many bits to do on my own setting (which I am already using and trying to update) and so I probably won't be adding any content here unless something really stirs me.

In concept this reminds me of a random fluff thread I used to be on at the WotC boards where the first poster gave a random hook or name and the next reply had to use that term, then that person would give another at the person after them had to use it. It was good material and a good exercise, also clear intention and focus on what the goal was.

I've got my own setting to work on as well, which is why I'm going to wait and see if someone else (hopefully) chimes in before I do another one so le Suisse and I aren't on this by ourselves.

I'd love to see this take off though.

Demidos
2013-03-18, 01:46 PM
Seems like an awesome idea. Have no fear, i'll help too! :smallwink:

Minions/Underlings:

Spirit Cat:
A glowing cat-shaped emptiness, this evil cat spirit prowled the mountains for millenia. It enjoys toying with its prey, and using its powers to appear suddenly, its sudden harsh glow startling a hunter into a raging bear or off a high cliff. Rarely would it take physical action against people and never would it leave a trace, and so it was discounted as more of a myth than a story, until a rash of odd dissapearances and possessions (around three decades ago) began to plague the villages. A small band of adventurers eventually determined that the Spirit Cat was the cause of the possessions and called forth the totem spirit of the tribes to protect them.
The totem spirit came forth, but the battle went horribly wrong, and now it is believed that both the totem spirit and the Spirit Cat continue to plague the tribes, although reports of the Spirit Cat have been mysteriously lacking for the last several years.

Saintly Lynx:
A powerful quasi-spirit, the Saintly Lynx was once a protecter of the the mountain tribes, the beloved totem spirit of the tribe. Angered by the depredations of the Spirit Cat, he told the tribes to create for him a body of precious stones and wood that he could use to take form and destroy the Spirit Cat for once and for all.
His command was carried out but one carver, (Beulgoth, if names are allowed to be added), desiring the rare woods and stones for himself, replaced the right hind leg with regular wood and stone, and only a veneer of the precious stuffs. The Saintly Lynx, not noticing the deception, sent his spirit into the form, and for three days and nights fought with the Spirit Cat. On the fourth day, however, the weaker leg collapsed, and he fell before the Spirit Cat, who left, laughing scornfully. Even then, he held out hope that some villager would come, find him, and repair his body, but none came. Eventually, half dragging himself, the Saintly Lynx dragged himself into a nearby cave, recovering his strength, but his thirst for vengeance drove him mad, and he became a second scourge on the folk of the mountains.
It is said he appears as a wonderfully carved statue, that moves as if it were alive in every respect, with two deep eyes carved of agate looking out, but to those who know this tale and have sharp eyes, his right hind leg will always drag a little, and leaves a trail of shining rubies instead of drops of blood.

Octopusapult
2013-03-18, 03:15 PM
Seems like an awesome idea. Have no fear, i'll help too! :smallwink:

See this is a good attitude to have. I'll be selecting and adding something later today for sure.

Also, I really like the Saintly Lynx (though I couldn't keep from picturing it as a Sphinx for some reason.)

le Suisse
2013-03-18, 03:18 PM
...if names are allowed to be added...
They are, they sure are.
Thank for your comment and your collaboration.

Well, here I go:
Setting: Techno Ocean
World: Thogghuao

It is say that the story of Thogghuao, world of terrors and wonders, begin like the one of all the others. P'dotec, Omnidominator of all the Gods, pondered about the unity of it domain of Void and Emptiness. Calling his court, the Gods of All Things, each the aspect of one part of the Reality yet to come. It said: "You are the Agents of Reality, but Reality is only Nothingness. You have to Create." "What are we to Create, you who are but Void?", said the dieties. And P'dotec told the "You shall Create worlds. One for each of you, who have dominion over one thing. You shall Create a world to your image, and then return." And it would be done. In the Void, Gods created worlds and worlds, each of them the very enbodiment of their creator's dominion. Here was the World of Time, there the World of Sand, and later one could see the World of Pity next to the World of Past Mistakes.

Once All of its court had returned, P'dotec was pleased. He then said: "Now, Gods of All Things, go back to your Worlds. To each, Every one of you shall give a piece of your image, so that all worlds will be complete."

Not all dieties were happy about this, but all knew better than going against the Will of the Void. And so they traveled to each Worlds, and gave to each a part of themselves, some bigs, some smalls, and with each parts the Worlds began to change, still dominated by their creator's dominion, but now tainted the aspects of the other Gods. There was now Wind in the World of Sun, Time in the World of Blue, Balance in the World of Shark. And soon nearly all the univers was whole, one not it absence but by its presence. And P'dotec saw it was good.

But one diety was both bitter and possessive of its creation, and this was neit her the God of Possessiveness nor the God of Bitterness. Cwund, God of Craft, was able to let its World untouched, free from the other Gods tempering, until there was none other left. The World was a single ball of all the crafts, the trades and the technologies that were, are and will be. It creator called it Thogghuao, and as Thogghuao it would be know for the eternities to come. Cwund thought its World was superior in all aspect to the other world, even to the one of the Gods of Trades and Technologie, even to the World of Superiority.

When the Gods finnally arrived to the World of Craft, and were to begin their work, Cwund, in a moment of rage, let out a roar and attacked the assembly with all its divine might. It missed. The bolt ended its course in the newly finished World of Water, and broke it into pieces, its creator suffering the same fate.

But Cwund soon felt itself entengled into the power of P'dotec. The Void looked at the Craft, who started to struggle. "Do thou fell lucky, knave? Do thou fell lucky?" said then the Omnidominator. It then made the God of Water whole again. But the World of Water was truly gone, because many of the pieces were absorbed by the Worlds that stayed on their paths. So P'dotec took all the remainings, lacerated the World of Craft, and then added the pieces of Water that was left, allong with all the gifts that the Gods gave to the World of Water. The Void then said:" Your World will remain at this state, and this until you had reCreated what you destroyed, be it after the End."

Mystics and men of science say that somewhere, Cwung, God of Craft, is still trying to recreate the destroyed World, scarred and alone in the Void, hoping to correct its act and terminate its task. As of Thogghuao, it is now a vast ocean, it surface only troubled by the gears and mechanismes of the destroyed World-Engine in lieu where on other Worlds there would be landmasses.

Octopusapult
2013-03-18, 05:11 PM
Chaos Dropsy

A spontaneous disease also known as "The Roaming Swells"

Chaos Dropsy causes a collection of liquid directly underneath the surface of the skin in grapefruit sized swelling. This collection of liquid is aware of the distress it causes the victim and thrives to make life as difficult as possible for the afflicted persons. Any attempt to cut open and drain the excess fluid is circumvented by the Chaos Dropsy, as it literally slides from position to position within the person.

It is only capable of moving from the extremities and limbs to other extremities and limbs by way of gliding across the stomach (never the spine or back.) For whatever reason, areas such as the forehead, shoulder blades, and other places where bones are easy to locate through the skin are difficult terrain for the Chaos Dropsy and it avoids them whenever possible.

Chaos Dropsy is commonly understood as a difficult and annoying disease that will warrant commoners a day away from work, but it has never killed or incapacitated a person. There is no cure for the Chaos Dropsy, but it does go away after approx. two weeks (the actual time varies from person to person.)

Chaos Dropsy is not contagious, and the cause of the affliction is still under investigation.

Demidos
2013-03-18, 05:35 PM
They are, they sure are.
Thank for your comment and your collaboration.

Well, here I go:

-snip-

Mystics and men of science say that somewhere, Cwung, God of Craft, is still trying to recreate the destroyed World, scarred and alone in the Void, hoping to correct its act and terminate its task. As of Thogghuao, it is now a vast ocean, it surface only troubled by the gears and mechanismes of the destroyed World-Engine in lieu where on other Worlds there would be landmasses.

Hmm. So I assume the mountains of which I spoke before are formed of dirt that has settled on long-ago stopped gears. In that case....

The Enlivening Nexus: An experiment by the gods themselves that went awry. Several decades ago (around 25 years), an aspect of Nezrah's (big bad's) was summoned by a suprisingly competent cabal of cultists and bound into a specific cog, determined by the cultists to have special significance to the now-destroyed World Engine in the hopes of helping Cwung to regain his former power. It is unknown whether Cwung had any knowledge of this, for the aspect, now bound, went beserk, mentally enslaving the cabalists and, taking advantage of the fact that it had been bound in one of the World-Engines central cogs, tapped into the very source of the world's magic, sucking it into itself. The gods were no help in this case, as the divine nature of the aspect allowed it to shield itself from them, resulting in a lack of response to its appearance from the gods themselves, except perhaps from Nzrah, who suffered a sudden (and to him, unexplicable) loss in power.

Now people say that the danger is past, that the cog imploded, and a thousand other things. But the magic remains awry, and no one knows who might be spreading rumors.

Mechanically speaking, a 20% mis-cast chance, 10% backfire and 10% no effect. Should help balance spellcasters. Or is that a bad idea?