PDA

View Full Version : Generic Class tiers?

JusticeZero
2013-03-16, 01:49 PM
Title pretty much says it all. What's the tiers/balance of the Generic Classes and why?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-03-16, 01:55 PM
Tier 1: Spellcaster
Tier 2: Expert
Tier 3: Warrior

Each tier itself has a completely different definition, because these classes are only ever used with each other and no other base classes.

Greenish
2013-03-16, 01:59 PM
Warrior might be able to pull itself to tier 4 due to having any bonus feats instead of being limited to fighter list, but probably not. Expert is thereabouts too.

Spellcaster is high tier 2. Tier 2 due to being spontaneous caster, high due to picking their spells from three of the best lists.

Jeff the Green
2013-03-16, 03:55 PM
We had this discussion at some point last year, but I can't find it. I think the consensus was Spellcaster: Tier-2 (higher than anything save Spirit Shaman); Warrior: Tier-4 (low); Expert: Tier-5 (high).

TuggyNE
2013-03-16, 04:49 PM
We had this discussion at some point last year, but I can't find it. I think the consensus was Spellcaster: Tier-2 (higher than anything save Spirit Shaman); Warrior: Tier-4 (low); Expert: Tier-5 (high).

I think it was the other way around; Expert is higher tier than Warrior.

Though Biff's note is also quite correct. :smallwink:

AmberVael
2013-03-16, 05:10 PM
I think it was the other way around; Expert is higher tier than Warrior.

Nah.

The advantage the expert has over the warrior is 4 extra skill points per level, and one more good save.

The advantage the warrior has over the expert is 2 extra HP per level, full BAB, and 4 extra class features.

The four extra features tips the scale notably.

TuggyNE
2013-03-16, 05:26 PM
Nah.

The advantage the expert has over the warrior is 4 extra skill points per level, and one more good save.

The advantage the warrior has over the expert is 2 extra HP per level, full BAB, and 4 extra class features.

The four extra features tips the scale notably.

Huh, you're right. Why did I think it was the other way around?

Jeff the Green
2013-03-16, 05:27 PM
Each tier itself has a completely different definition, because these classes are only ever used with each other and no other base classes.

Not quite true.

If you use these generic classes, you shouldn't also use the standard character classes (or variants of those classes).

"Shouldn't" implies a recommendation, not a commandment.