PDA

View Full Version : Play-By-Post

White_Drake
2013-03-16, 04:51 PM
Weirdly enough, I think this fits best in the general RPG forum. My question: is it considered rude to spectate a PbP game? I don't really know anything about PbP, and I was hoping to look at a few games to see what it's like. I'm DMing for my group, and would like to try out some characters, so I was thinking about checking out these forums' PbP section. Also, anything you could tell me about PbP in general would be nice. Thanks in advance.

Strawberries
2013-03-16, 04:57 PM
Err... I'm not really sure about what the question is....:smallconfused:

You mean reading IC threads? As long as you don't post IC disturbing the thread I don't see the problem (and besides, how would people know?). One of the games I'm in has at least a couple of stalkers, and they sometimes come out in the OOC to chat with us. It's fun.

As for info about pbp. have a look at the stickied guide (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257924). :smallsmile:

Ajadea
2013-03-16, 05:12 PM
Spectate as in lurking, without posting in that thread? I personally would consider it 100% OK.

In two of the games I play here (one of which is with Strawberries, actually), a couple forum members who are not players post sporadically in the OOC thread as well. As long as spectators don't post IC, I don't have a problem with it.

Tips from the DM's side of the screen:

PbP is slow. And by slow, I mean glacial. A battle takes 2+ weeks to finish. If you don't pile on the XP, the level-up rate will be like 1 level/year.
The game attrition rate is high. Expect your first (and second, and third) games to die slow deaths for one reason or another.
Organize, organize, organize. Google Drive spreadsheets are wonderful maps - MapTools and Roll20 are also useful if you're willing to invest a bit more learning time.

White_Drake
2013-03-16, 05:35 PM
Err... I'm not really sure about what the question is....:smallconfused:

Ever try to write something, get to the end and think "That is horribly phrased, I sure hope somebody knows what I mean"?

I guess what I'm trying to ask is just what Play-By-Post is like, and if there are any rules of etiquette of which I should be aware before joining a game.

I did mean just lurking, and it's good to know that it would be fine. I really have virtually no knowledge of the whole thing, so I thought it would be best to ask the community before I committed some faux pas. Thanks for the answers, and I'll check out that guide. It's possible that it will render this thread obsolete.

The Dark Fiddler
2013-03-17, 07:52 AM
I guess what I'm trying to ask is just what Play-By-Post is like, and if there are any rules of etiquette of which I should be aware before joining a game.

I did mean just lurking, and it's good to know that it would be fine. I really have virtually no knowledge of the whole thing, so I thought it would be best to ask the community before I committed some faux pas. Thanks for the answers, and I'll check out that guide. It's possible that it will render this thread obsolete.

Personally, I always post in the game's OOC thread (if I can find it) and ask if I can watch the game.

Granted, I haven't watched a game in a while...