PDA

View Full Version : Factotum

Master Thrower
2013-03-16, 05:10 PM
I am looking to build a factotum with a samuari esque flavor without levels in samurai. My character is a LG and trying to head the party I am looking to focus on iajtusu focus the skill and was wondering the best way to do so without being a one trick pony.

Starting level is 9 and standard WBL most books are open as well.

my biggest issue is what items/feats I should be getting and If i wanna prestige what class should I take?

Gildedragon
2013-03-16, 05:26 PM
Check the handbook in my sig.
But to start; which samurai class OA or CW?

exemplar might be a good prc if you're being so skill-focused

Master Thrower
2013-03-16, 05:28 PM
Check the handbook in my sig.
But to start; which samurai class OA or CW?

exemplar might be a good prc if you're being so skill-focused

samurai is the flavor not the class. and more OA i guess but thats just cause the cw one is horrible. thanks for the link!

The-Mage-King
2013-03-16, 05:29 PM
Honestly? Four factotum levels, with Able Learner at 1st. Then make the rest be Warblade, if it's allowed. If there are no multiclassing penalties in play, make it 3 Fac, 1 dip, rest Warblade.

You get good fluff, solid mechanics, and more than just one gimmick.

Feats... Imp Init is obvious, as is Power Attack. Able Learner is a must for your 1st level, though.

Gildedragon
2013-03-16, 05:35 PM
If the fella is going so martial fact 8 is a better choice. Extra standard actions, particularly during that first round are gold.

The handful of buffs you can get out of spellcasting isn't shabby either.

You might want to look at the martial factotum build.

As to dipping into samurai, a 1 or 2 dip might be good for the two free ancestal relic feats, and 1 bonus feat.

as for 1st level feats, if you don't take samurai, and are human

Flaw: Code of Arms (Dr 324)
Flaw: Solitary Paragon or Honor of the Duel (Dr 324)
These give a bit of crunch to a character that will not readily attack flanked enemies or participate in one-sided fights.Ancestral Relic (your bastard sword)
EWP: Bastard Sword
Font of Inspiration x 2

Greenish
2013-03-16, 06:05 PM
samurai is the flavor not the class.Yes, but which samurai class are you? (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0209.html) :smalltongue:

Anyway, mixing Factotum with Warblade, maybe with a dip to Exotic Weapon Master if you want to wield your katana one-hande, should work.

[Edit]: If you just want Factotum for Iaijutsu focus, you might consider human paragon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/racialParagonClasses.htm#humanParagon) dip instead, with a mostly warblade build.

Master Thrower
2013-03-16, 06:24 PM
Yes, but which samurai class are you? (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0209.html) :smalltongue:

Anyway, mixing Factotum with Warblade, maybe with a dip to Exotic Weapon Master if you want to wield your katana one-hande, should work.

[Edit]: If you just want Factotum for Iaijutsu focus, you might consider human paragon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/racialParagonClasses.htm#humanParagon) dip instead, with a mostly warblade build.

I am the party "rogue" for clarification as well, and I was looking at iajutsu master as a potential prestiege class and my DM has house ruled in a quick "sheath" feat that will help me use iajutsu strike

limejuicepowder
2013-03-16, 10:20 PM
I was playing around with a samurai-type build at one point, and came up wit this. It doesn't have any factotum levels, but it's only level 6 so there's lots of room to add things later.

Human Paragon 1 Fighter 1 Warblade 2 Paragon 2 (CL 6)

feats (6): improved initiative (1), power attack (1), quick draw (2), adaptive style (3), imperious command (5), leap attack (6)

skills: concentration 9, intimidate 9, iaijutsu focus 9, jump 9, tumble 5, bluff 5, balance 5, diplomacy 5, sense motive 1, knowledge (nobility and royalty) 1

skill tricks: never outnumbered

abilities: adaptive skill (iaijutsu focus), battle clarity, uncanny dodge

maneuvers: sapphire nightmare blade, steel wind, moment of perfect mind, emerald razor

stance: punishing stance

----------

I think this build has a pretty good samurai feel. Imperious command is good BFC, as well as classic samurai material. The other maneuvers give options besides iajutsu focus, though iajutsu + leap attack + emerald razor + power attack + winning initiative can end fights before they begin.

Master Thrower
2013-03-16, 10:29 PM
I was playing around with a samurai-type build at one point, and came up wit this. It doesn't have any factotum levels, but it's only level 6 so there's lots of room to add things later.

Human Paragon 1 Fighter 1 Warblade 2 Paragon 2 (CL 6)

feats (6): improved initiative (1), power attack (1), quick draw (2), adaptive style (3), imperious command (5), leap attack (6)

skills: concentration 9, intimidate 9, iaijutsu focus 9, jump 9, tumble 5, bluff 5, balance 5, diplomacy 5, sense motive 1, knowledge (nobility and royalty) 1

skill tricks: never outnumbered

abilities: adaptive skill (iaijutsu focus), battle clarity, uncanny dodge

maneuvers: sapphire nightmare blade, steel wind, moment of perfect mind, emerald razor

stance: punishing stance

----------

I think this build has a pretty good samurai feel. Imperious command is good BFC, as well as classic samurai material. The other maneuvers give options besides iajutsu focus, though iajutsu + leap attack + emerald razor + power attack + winning initiative can end fights before they begin.

i really like this idea, I may try and fit some of this into my build, what book is imperious command in again?

limejuicepowder
2013-03-16, 10:31 PM
i really like this idea, I may try and fit some of this into my build, what book is imperious command in again?

Drow of the Underdark.

JackRackham
2013-03-17, 02:06 AM
Factotum 8/Swordsage1/Factotum11 is the build I'd adopt. Technically, the later you take the Swordsage level, the more powerful the build is, but you don't wanna be waiting around too long for it to come online.

Most of the best Swordsage maneuvers are standard actions. At 8th level, a Swordsage gets an ability that lets them take extra standard actions. Then just take Font of Inspiration as many times as you can, and take whatever you feel like.

EDIT: Gnome Quickrazor should help you get that IJ Focus off. Someone was going to say it.

Also: 16 levels of Factotum and 4 of Swordsage works too, for a little more martial ability, but the extra spells and Cunning Brilliance are too good to pass up, I think.

magwaaf
2013-03-17, 11:16 AM
i have a halfling factotum build that's all about making his saves. he is mainly talking skills and save bonuses even the 3 feats. yes the 3 crappy feats that are prereqs for things. figured it'd be interesting,