PDA

View Full Version : DM Perspective: How to safely add a Eidolon to a party?

RedDragons
2013-03-16, 05:26 PM
So am about to start a group, and one of my players asked if he could be a eidolon , and honestly.. am not sure what to say to this, as it just seems to be a dead warrior earning feats to be a better ghost.

Gavinfoxx
2013-03-16, 05:38 PM
Are you sure he wasn't asking about Pathfinder?

RedDragons
2013-03-16, 05:45 PM
yes she brought over a copy of ghostwalk

Chaosvii7
2013-03-16, 06:13 PM
When you say "just starting", what is the starting level? The player is going to have to be at least 3rd level to be an Eidolon - 1 level in a previous class, 1 Level Adjustment for Ghost, and then she can start taking levels in Eidolon.

Also

Also, the RAW rules for an eidolon state that you die when your levels of eidolon exceed those of your other classes. If your going to actually play an eidolon, you obviously need your DM to ignore this...

Requires a houserule or else she would be killed after gaining her 4th level.

Besides all of that, it's pretty balanced for what it is. It's just a ghost that gets bonus ghost feats. It's a Tier 3 character - hard melee, but with some Supernatural abilities and SLAs. Nothing too overpowered. It does take a while to get it off the ground, however. All things considered, the only forseeable problem is that starting as an Eidolon might put her ahead of others, but if any of them are spellcasters, then they'll trump her by level 5, easy. If it's a party of all barbarians and rogues and monks, then yeah, the Eidolon will definitely outperform the others, but that's because spells really set apart classes.

Definitely not the most broken option floating around there.

Chaosvii7
2013-03-16, 06:46 PM
I can't seem to find where it says the Ghost template has a +1 level adjustment, even in the 3.5 update. :smallfrown:

That number came from the Eidolon Handbook. I don't know if it's right or not, but I trust it - a +1 for all the things a ghost gets is a decent tradeoff, and anything less makes it kind of unfair. Certainly should be considered for a houseruling if there's no ruling on it.