PDA

View Full Version : Mad Mage (3.5 Base Class, PEACH)

Lesser Naboo
2013-03-17, 01:46 AM
This is the first time I've ever done any homebrew. It's probably going to suck. Since this is my first homebrew, it's based pretty heavily off of the Wizard. The basic concept here is a wizard/mad scientist. And there will be explosions.

Mad Mage
Many cast arcane magic. One of the most well-known is the wizard. Some consider them to be insane experimenters, working on some spell or construct in their labs. But they are not the insane ones. No, those would be the Mad Mages.
The archetypical Mad Mage is an insane old man doing crazy and probably unethical experiments in a lab. This represents quite a few of them, but not all. Many adventure, for varying reasons. Some seek to gain knowledge or power. Some want to test new spells. Still others want to do it for the thrill and fun. A rare few are motivated by higher ideal of good or evil.

Game Rule Information

Alignment: Mad mages are empowered by chaos, and thus cannot be lawful. They tend to neutrality, as many focus on research for research’s sake. They can be any non-lawful alignment.
Hit Die: d6. Mad mages who can’t take a hit don’t last long.
Abilities: Intelligence is key, as it is the main casting stat. Constitution is also important, considering the amount of punishment these characters take due to explosions. Dexterity is useful for AC, rays, and reflex saves. Having low wisdom is thematically appropriate.
Class Skills:
Concentration(Con), Craft(Int), Decipher Script(Int), Knowledge(Int), Profession(Wis), and Spellcraft(Int)
Skill Points at 1st Level: (2+Int mod)*4
Skills at Subsequent Levels: 2+Int mod

Lesser Naboo
2013-03-17, 01:47 AM
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special

1st|+0|+2|+0|+2| Explosive Spell Failure, Runic Failure, Alchemist

2nd|+1|+3|+0|+3|

3rd|+1|+3|+1|+3|Dangerous Enhancement

4th|+2|+4|+1|+4| DR I

5th|+2|+4|+1|+4| Bonus Feat

6th|+3|+5|+2|+5| Dangerous Enhancement II

7th|+3|+5|+2|+5|

8th|+4|+6|+2|+6| DR II

9th|+4|+6|+3|+6| Dangerous Enhancement III

10th|+5|+7|+3|+7| Bonus Feat

11th|+5|+7|+3|+7| Fast Healing

12th|+6/+1|+8|+4|+8| DR III, Dangerous Enhancement IV

13th|+6/+1|+8|+4|+8|

14th|+7/+2|+9|+4|+9|

15th|+7/+2|+9|+5|+9| Bonus Feat, Dangerous Enhancement V

16th|+8/+3|+10|+5|+10| DR IV

17th|+8/+3|+10|+5|+10|

18th|+9/+4|+11|+6|+11| Dangerous Enhancement VI

19th|+9/+4|+11|+6|+11|

20th|+10/+5|+12|+6|+12| Bonus Feat, DR V,
[/table]

Spellcasting: The Mad Mage casts spells by preparing them ahead of time with a spellbook. This mechanic is completely identical to the wizard’s.
Explosive Spell Failure: You possess tremendous arcane power, but have difficulty controlling it. Whenever you cast a spell, there is a 10% chance that the only result is an explosion. The target of the spell, or all targets in it’s area, receive xd6 damage each of sonic and fire damage, where x equals the level of the spell. A level 0 spell deals 1d4 each of sonic and fire damage. This is affected by metamagic. For divination spells where the target is a long distance away, such as Scry, the caster is affected by the explosion. The explosion chance stacks with arcane spell failure, and if you spell fails due to arcane spell failure, it automatically explodes.
Runic Failure:[.b] Whenever you cast a “Symbol” spell or similar runic spell, there is a 25% percent chance it turns into “Explosive Runes”.
[b]Alchemist: At first level, Mad Mages gain 4 ranks in Craft(Alchemy). At every Mad Mage level thereafter, they gain 1 rank in Craft(Alchemy).
Dangerous Enhancement: You can heighten your power, but at a cost. You can increase your caster level, but it also increases the explosion chance by 10% per increased caster level. The caster level cap is 1 at level 3, and increases by 1 at levels 6, 9, 12, 15, and 18.
Damage Reduction: At level 4 you gain DR 1/+3. This increases by 1 every four levels.
Bonus Feat: At 5th level and every 5 levels thereafter, you gain 1 bonus feat. This feat must be a metamagic or item creation feat.
Fast Healing: Your extensive experiments have allowed you to recover quickly from injury. You gain fast healing 1.

Lesser Naboo
2013-03-17, 01:49 AM
Reserved for future changes.

Lesser Naboo
2013-03-19, 03:44 PM
Welp, this is done. Why did it take a while to make this after I made the beginning? Because I'm lazy. In retrospect, perhaps I should have waited until the whole thing was done.

Anyways, anyone have any tips for future homebrewing?