PDA

View Full Version : What Gods Followers Could handle ghosts?

RedDragons
2013-03-17, 02:08 AM
Normal thinking is....ghost ...undead...badddddd!

what followers of gods do you think could handled being around Ghosts without getting all twitchy and trying to banish them ((evil gods do not count))

Chaosvii7
2013-03-17, 02:11 AM
Normal thinking is....ghost ...undead...badddddd!

what followers of gods do you think could handled being around Ghosts without getting all twitchy and trying to banish them ((evil gods do not count))

Any religion that isn't openly and strictly against undead wouldn't mind ghosts - ghosts are probably the closest thing to rationally good-aligned undead you find in a typical game, unless you're playing with deathless or good liches.

ArcturusV
2013-03-17, 02:12 AM
Wee Jas? Goddess of Death and Magic after all, probably isn't going to have a problem with Ghosts. And Lawful Neutral alignment.

Boccob. Neutral, and since it's all about the Magic probably doesn't give a rat's ass about Undead necessarily.

Just the two out of the player's handbook that jump out and bite me for it.

Really it's a matter of conditions though. I could see Morradin for example, not having a problem with the Ghosts of Honored Dwarven Dead and such.

Kord also probably wouldn't have a problem with Ghosts. In fact his followers would probably relish a chance to throw down with say, the legendary pugilist who unfortunately died 50 years before they were born. But wait, he's a ghost. I have Ghost touch gloves. I can test my power against the strongest pugilist! YAY!

Chaosvii7
2013-03-17, 02:16 AM
Wee Jas? Goddess of Death and Magic after all, probably isn't going to have a problem with Ghosts. And Lawful Neutral alignment.

Boccob. Neutral, and since it's all about the Magic probably doesn't give a rat's ass about Undead necessarily.

Just the two out of the player's handbook that jump out and bite me for it.

Really it's a matter of conditions though. I could see Morradin for example, not having a problem with the Ghosts of Honored Dwarven Dead and such.

Kord also probably wouldn't have a problem with Ghosts. In fact his followers would probably relish a chance to throw down with say, the legendary pugilist who unfortunately died 50 years before they were born. But wait, he's a ghost. I have Ghost touch gloves. I can test my power against the strongest pugilist! YAY!

Deities from the Player's Handbook that would specifically be against ghosts include the gods of nature(Ehlonna and Obad'Hai) and Pelor, god of the sun.
Undead are strictly unnatural beings that go against the creed of maintaining the natural balance, and Pelor is the chief god of healing, who often views undeath as a problem and an illness to be cured.

ArcturusV
2013-03-17, 02:19 AM
I'm not even sure that the God of Nature or Goddess of Nature would really have a problem with Ghosts.

I mean say some Druid who follows Obad Hai bites it. Becomes a ghost. Continues with his druidly duties beyond death. The god is going to hate on his faithful cleric?

Pelor though definitely. What with him being all about the hatred.

Chaosvii7
2013-03-17, 02:25 AM
I'm not even sure that the God of Nature or Goddess of Nature would really have a problem with Ghosts.

I mean say some Druid who follows Obad Hai bites it. Becomes a ghost. Continues with his druidly duties beyond death. The god is going to hate on his faithful cleric?

Pelor though definitely. What with him being all about the hatred.

Well, you could easily argue that followers of Obad'Hai would be okay with ghosts, because Obad'Hai is the indecisive god of hippies. Obad'Hai's unerring neutrality came up a ton in my early years playing D&D, and I totally agree with that much. Though I imagine Ehlonna to be far more strict than him, and that her followers might have a different stance as far as undeath is concerned.

RedDragons
2013-03-17, 02:27 AM
burning hate.....its a conspiracy

ArcturusV
2013-03-17, 02:30 AM
Maybe. At the very least it seems all of them except maybe 2 would be cool with it. Maybe just the one.

I suppose the end determining factor for what strict devotees of anyone other than Pelor (Who might be evil), would have is a few different lines in various sources which say things like "Good does not fight Good". Because the idea is that good people are generally able to see that other good people have the Good of People at heart, and thus can put aside their differences.

As opposed to evil which cannot get along (Demons and Devils).

So a Good God's followers (Who are true to the principles of Good) shouldn't have a problem with a Good Undead. Which Ghosts can definitely be.

Except Pelor. Who might be evil.

Chaosvii7
2013-03-17, 02:37 AM
Maybe. At the very least it seems all of them except maybe 2 would be cool with it. Maybe just the one.

I suppose the end determining factor for what strict devotees of anyone other than Pelor (Who might be evil), would have is a few different lines in various sources which say things like "Good does not fight Good". Because the idea is that good people are generally able to see that other good people have the Good of People at heart, and thus can put aside their differences.

As opposed to evil which cannot get along (Demons and Devils).

So a Good God's followers (Who are true to the principles of Good) shouldn't have a problem with a Good Undead. Which Ghosts can definitely be.

Except Pelor. Who might be evil.

Sounds good potentially evil to me.

Also, if you're looking for neutral/good gods of undeath, the Libris Mortis includes Evening Glory, the goddess of undead love and tolerance.

RedDragons
2013-03-17, 08:08 PM
Alright thank you