PDA

View Full Version : Modules for beginner DMs

ACSherman
2013-03-17, 02:39 PM
I'm currently DMing a game, and one of my players is interested in learning to DM for a game over this summer. He really likes to campaign we're playing (Red Hand of Doom) and is looking for a module to start DMing himself. He's looking for something that's good out of the box and that wouldn't need much tweaking, because it would be his first time DMing.

He's looking to start at level 3-5. I told him that it would be easier at level 1, but he says that would be boring for him, so any of those complications are on him.

I recommended looking at "The Speaker in Dreams," mostly because I've heard good things and I'm interested in playing it. What would you all recommend?

RedDragons
2013-03-17, 03:11 PM
look into source books for a level one typical adventure you find in the backs. Lets him run something is about 3 or 4 sessions long, with minmial character commitment from fellow players.

Almagesto
2013-03-18, 01:35 PM
Try The Sunless Citadel followed by The Forge of Fury.

Tarlek Flamehai
2013-03-19, 06:27 AM
Tomb of Horrors, a one-shot TPK dungeon. No need to concern yourself with much of a plot or trying to save the PC's from themselves. :smallamused:

Gwendol
2013-03-19, 07:21 AM
I agree with Almagesto, those two are quite good.

Yora
2013-03-19, 07:48 AM
Sunless Citadel always gets mentioned, and for very good reasons. It's relatively simple yet provides opportunities to get accustomed to many of the game mechanics without pressure of not causing a combat to stall.

Hyde
2013-03-19, 07:50 AM
The only modules I'd avoid are the one's that really aren't, like "world's biggest dungeon" or whatever.

I've heard good things about Sunless Citadel, though I'm not really a module guy.

supermonkeyjoe
2013-03-19, 12:23 PM
I can put in a vote for Sunless citadel as a good adventure for beginners, it introduces a wide variety of different creature types and challenges, has several (possible) non-combat encounters within the dungeon and most encounters have several ways of overcoming them for inventive players.

It can also fairly easily be converted to fit any scenario as the story for the module is essentially, X has gone missing, get to the end of the dungeon to find it, it's well presented in the actual module but is easily stripped out and replaced as 90% of the dungeon is unrelated to the main plotline (that's not to say that there aren't a few adventures to be picked up inside the citadel itself)

AntiTrust
2013-03-19, 01:47 PM
I like the first module for the age of worms called "the whispering cairn"

Waspinator
2013-03-19, 03:10 PM
Yeah, maybe one of the Dungeon magazine adventure paths or the Paizo ones?

Jaikei
2013-03-27, 04:40 AM
Sunless Citadel is everyone's go-to newbie trainer. That being said, I thoroughly despise the loose rubble Balance check areas. That, and the Dragonpriest Troll thing that once had ten levels in Cleric stands a fair chance of wiping out a new group of copper-hungry critter killers. And the last fight tends to be a slaughter against an unprepared party.

"Move Silently check: roll versus Twig Blights"
-a few rounds later-
"Belak activates his Wand of Entangle, drawing the attention of the ten Twig Blights you snuck past before!"

T. P. K.