PDA

View Full Version : Items for a Wildshape Ranger

Azernak0
2013-03-17, 04:41 PM
Howdy folks. I am playing a Wildshape Master of Many Forms currently. I currently have 12 grand and was wondering what I should buy. Because I only ended up taking 5 levels of Ranger, I went Spell-less for Expertise to get Improved Trip so items to buff spells are out.

The DM got rid of the rule that an item needs to have a +1 enhancement bonus in order to be enchanted. Because of this I was thinking of snagging Wild Fullplate to add +8 armor but I am not completely sure. We are currently level 6.

I usually end up playing casters so it has been a long time since playing a DnD melee type. As such, I am a tad bit stumped.

Coidzor
2013-03-17, 06:42 PM
Well, for starters there's standard stat-boosting items and defensive items + wilding clasps. Necklace of Natural Attacks will help.

sleepyphoenixx
2013-03-17, 06:53 PM
Consider saving up for Mantle of the Beast (Complete Champion, 18,000gp) Swift Action Wild Shape, +1 Natural Weapons

Sgt. Cookie
2013-03-17, 07:23 PM
Pick up a Scrying Shard (Magic Item Compendium, 1350gp). It lets you cast Scrying at will using the Shard as a focus. By unambiguous RAW.

Mcdt2
2013-03-18, 06:59 AM
For a rather different route, you could take the Vow of Poverty. Items are rather difficult for a MoMF to effectively use, and the Vow works in wildshape, no wilding clasps needed. Normally, I agree that the Vow is terrible, but I find it works on MoMF's, seeing as most of the time is spent wildshaped anyway.

Wild Mountain Plate would offer +10 AC, but it is rather pricey (around 14k I think, AFB). Remember, the enhancement stacking rules changed in MIC, so use that to your advantage by stacking ability/nat armor enhancers on a single item so you can save on wilding clasps.

Snowbluff
2013-03-18, 10:28 AM
Gloves of Man!

Coidzor
2013-03-18, 02:09 PM
Gloves of Man!

Alternatively, a Mouthpick weapon (Lords of Madness, +1 weapon property, page 46), which is a great way to get weapon proficiency for something really kinky. Like a kaorti resin jovar or whathaveyou.

Snowbluff
2013-03-18, 02:22 PM
Alternatively, a Mouthpick weapon (Lords of Madness, +1 weapon property, page 46), which is a great way to get weapon proficiency for something really kinky. Like a kaorti resin jovar or whathaveyou.

Dude, Mouthpick doesn't give you hands, man! It's not an alternative! :smalltongue:

darklink_shadow
2013-03-18, 02:26 PM
Wildling clasps or something similarly named... let's your gear shapeshoft with you and not become inert. It may be in savage species.

darklink_shadow
2013-03-18, 02:27 PM
Double post, sorry.

Shape shift into an oooooooooze. There is a guide called master of many forms bible somewhere off site. I made my favorite character ever using that guide.

Mcdt2
2013-03-18, 03:47 PM
Shape shift into an oooooooooze. There is a guide called master of many forms bible somewhere off site. I made my favorite character ever using that guide.

The Guide in question. (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19528526/updated_Master_of_Many_Forms_Bible__official_wild_ shape_rules) One of my favorite PrC's, and the guide has a bunch of feat/item suggestions, as well as suggestions for good forms to take.

darklink_shadow
2013-03-18, 05:45 PM
Aye, that is the one. Changeling Wildshaper Ranger into MoMF and be silly all day.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-03-18, 05:54 PM
Never go spell-less Ranger, you can always prepare Rhino's Rush and get a bunch of 1st level Pearls of Power.

A Monk's Belt + Wilding Clasp is fairly standard. If you Wild Shape with Wild armor, you're not considered 'armored' even though you still get the AC bonus, so you'll still get the Monk AC bonus (including your Wis bonus) in that situation. Be sure to put a decent armor crystal (MIC) on that Wild Full Plate as well.

Armbands of Might + Wilding Clasp is pretty good, you can power attack for -2 to get +4 damage on all your natural attacks, and it gives +2 to trip, grapple, etc.