PDA

View Full Version : Minion Mayhem IC

Elvenoutrider
2013-03-17, 06:40 PM
The dungeon around you is silent as the survivors process what has just occurred. The dead have been collected into the largest room of the dungeon. and you have just finished tallying the damages and accounting for what has been stolen.

Your dungeon home is located in scenic Narwhallia, a temperate semi mountanous kingdom. Your gungeon is located beneath a castle, abandoned many years before scareduke took over and younger Stevenoth tunneled it out with his eyebeams. Scareduke recruited an tribe of hobgoblins to defend the keep. Eventually, more monsters came to him for the safety that only a dungeon could provide until it had grown to the size of a small town. Every so often the place would get raided by adventurers constantly forcing the scareduke to update his security. Now for the first time, Scareduke has failed.

The hobgoblins above lie dead, murdered by the adventurers on their way in. Inside the dungeon, a family of goblins from the tribe has been gutted while reading in the library. The rest of the tribe managed to successfully hide. This is with the exception of the shaman, who has found himself sovereign glued to a toilet seat. He is quite indisposed at the moment, unless he can contribute to your cause by slinging a string of expletives from his bathroom. Ulga, your ork seamstress, has met her end being used as a battering ram to enter Scareduke's kitchen. Fuzzy, the chimera has been slain by a falling Chandelier. Xxandrazda, the guardian red dragon and Flame's mother died heroically defending the treasure horde. Petri, the kobald master trapsmith met his end in the kitchen with scareduke as the adventurers made their opening move dumping the cauldron full of scalding hot soup at him. The puppeteer has managed to just escape being murdered at their hands, His massive and muscular orc body torn apart. He now resides on a small goblin. Stevenoth's cult was slain while he was busy retreiving sugar. His sculpture ahs been smashed and the phrase "Rogar was here" has been written in feces on his summoning circle (this ruins the circle). Finally, Scareduke's prized acid breathing sharks were killed and their massive tanks mysteriously drained.

As for damages, in addition to the now clogged bathroom, all of the treasure has been cleaned out. Everything that wasnt worth stealing has been smashed. Each door has been rammed open, the grand piano stolen, beds torn apart. Each chandalier has been ripped out of the ceiling and the temple to your gods has been set alight... underground. This has rendered much of your dungeon a smokey unbreathable mess.

Two of the dead adventurers are wearing platemail covered in the same holy symbols. one woman, her face well burned off seems to be wearing just revealing silk underwear. Finally, a hulking half ork with an axe larger than his body appears to have made it the furthest into the room, and buried his axe in Scareduke's cookbook.

Scareduke sees the pain in your eyes and looks up from the mess.

"They will pay. They will speak of the atrocities we will commit in retribution in hushed tones for decades. But first we must rebuild. Our possessions. Our treasure is not with these bodies. We must find out what they did with our horde. Then we must see to our defenses. Then we must see to our revenge. I will stop at nothing to see this done. Who is with me?"

Erik Vale
2013-03-17, 07:28 PM
"I am with you. They must pay, for every attrocity they have inflicted, they must pay in kind."
The normally quiet and almost carefree child speaks with a voice that almost drips with murder, and the wolf at her side no longer seems to support her as it did through her walk around the dungeon. IT is doing everything but growling and snarling, if one knew how to distill hate, these two would be able to sell theirs at a premium.

NotScaryBats
2013-03-17, 09:03 PM
Two cups of sugar -- one for Stevenoth and one for the Scareduke -- hover to one side of the massive beholder. It surveys the kitchen carnage as best it can through its cataracts.

"BAG OF HOLDING!" Stevenoth begins in its inside voice, "LONG AGO, BEFORE YOUR MOTHER EVEN DREW HER FIRST BREATH, A GROUP OF ADVENTURERS SOUGHT TO HIDE MY PRECIOUS 'SPECTACLES OF MU'UTHAT' FROM ME IN A BAG OF HOLDING. AFTER DISINTEGRATING THE LOT OF THEM, IT TOOK ME EIGHT HOURS TO EXTRACT MY PRECIOUS SPECTACLES FROM THAT CURSED BAG..."

The great beholder seems to have lost its point, and murmurs something unintelligible.

Frendle
2013-03-18, 02:43 AM
"I am with you Scareduke. I shall tear from them inch by bloody inch the full measure of our vengeance."

Bronko, who, by some great stroke of luck, is the sole remaining Hobgoblin in service of the Scareduke, draws his long sword and strikes an appropriately fiendish pose.

LordBlackadder
2013-03-18, 07:27 AM
The full goblin among them now, Eerk, looked back to his master, having been in brief discussions with a few of his fellow tribesmen. "I would say something beautiful and poetic... but I'm not. Those pikers are worse than dead."

Sarcastic opening as usual, but everyone knew him well enough to sense the seething undertone. He was in charge now as it was.

Sir Swindle89
2013-03-18, 07:54 AM
My goblin thrall stands firmly at attention.

"As always I am ever by your side my lord! We shall pay these wreches back in kind ten! nay! one hundred fold!"

Lost Demiurge
2013-03-18, 09:34 AM
From a perch on high, unseen by any save perhaps Scareduke himself, a patch of the shadows stirs.

A baleful yellow slitted eye rolls open, at the loud disturbance of the Minions' proclamations. An intellect colder and filled with more hate than any below surveys them with dispassion, as it calculates and ponders.

Muscles writhe into motion beneath midnight dark fur, as paws are perfectly placed on the perch, and the form of the beast rises. Gleaming white fangs are revealed, as it yawns, and readies itself for the days ahead.

And from somewhere above, some small forgotten vent, or perch unclimbable to all but the most persistant, the Minions hear loud purring. Purring at the thought of the violence and mayhem to come.

For Mister Tibbers is awake once more...

But first, hygiene.

Twist leg up, consider base of tail, SLURPSLURPSLURP...

Jormengand
2013-03-18, 11:36 AM
Flame looks around the room from its perch. "I am hready to sssehrvhe!" proclaims the red dragon in a chittering and yet serpentine voice. A cloth sash encircles the dragon, carrying a healing wand and enough food for it to survive for a few days. Considering the food, it begins to scavenge around what's left of the room for any more that it can find.

Elvenoutrider
2013-03-18, 01:51 PM
flame: beyond the table scraps and discarded rations left in the dungeon, the only food left is the soup now covering the floor of the kitchemm and of course all of the dead bodies, some of which have been magically baked to perfection...

The Scareduke addresses the crowd:

"Your dedication to me, even after this failure of leadership is moving... Were I still mortal I am sure it would bring a tear to my eye."

He motions to Stevenoth:

"Stevenoth I believe you are right. They have managed to make off with our treasure with magical means. Furthermore, some of the survivors who managed to hide told me that there were 5 of these bastards, where as I only count four bodies. It appears one of them defected before breaking into my kitchen."

Addressing the crowd again:

"If we are to take revenge, we need capital, and we need a plan. Your first task is to retrieve that which was taken from us. The nearest town is the Small hamlet a few hours journey from here. The remaining adventurer will not be able to cash in all of our money there. In fact he has no reason to stop there if not to rest or to seek shelter... from the storm I will be calling. If he manages to make it to Westport city, he will be lost in the crowds and fence all of our beloved treasure. The small hamlet has around 10 trained guards in it. Nothing my minions cant handle. You need to move in and take back our treasure. Take the adventurer alive if possible, that way we can extract what he knows and take our revenge at our own convenience."

Scareduke turns back to Stevenoth:

"That means no disintegrations"

"For this task I grant you my latest weapon. This vial."

Scareduke draws a large vial, about the size of a bottle of wine. It contains a thick black liquid."

"this vial contains concentrated unholy water. Dumping it on ground that is not consecrated or hallowed will raise any dead in the area. If it is dumped on a good aligned target... well the experience should be more than lethal for all but the most powerful of enemies. Be careful, the bootle is fragile. Who would like the honor of wielding this new weapon?"

((note: this gam will be largely player drive, I just felt I should give you guys some direction at the start of the game. If any of you want to throw out some new directions to take the game, Scareduke is all ears))

Sir Swindle89
2013-03-18, 04:07 PM
To the Scareduke **My Lord surely retrieving one lowly adventurer will not require the services of all assembled. Perhaps some of us could attempt to aquire new wealth from the estates bordering the Scareduchy and perhaps gather new followers in the process.**

Frendle
2013-03-18, 05:49 PM
“What possible use is it to gain a small bit of gold form the wretches nearby?” While speaking Bronko begins a casual inspection of the dead members of the invading group, going through pockets, checking out jewelry and weapons.

“I would point out two things, one is we need to avenge this insult done us by this person and two, he and his fellows just made it through all out defenses and got as far as a few feet from the Scareduke, perhaps brining all of us on this mission would be prudent.”

[roll0] Perception to find anything unusual or useful on the adventurers bodies.

Erik Vale
2013-03-18, 05:50 PM
"No. Whilst all must pay, this adventurer was one who came here. He must pay in several fold, as must those who shelter him... For the vial, it would be a good means to replenish our numbers. Once we have made them pay, we can pile them on their graveyard and use it, and bring a small horde back.
Bringing the adventurer back for more torture by you, we will of course do."

Bailif moves to sit beside Maria.

"As for the vial, I volunter to carry it. I can promise it wont be use inapropriately, and my aim is good, as to make sure that should it need to be used, it will be used properly."

NotScaryBats
2013-03-18, 07:37 PM
Stevenoth closes its mouth and looks somewhat bashful at the mention of "no disintegrations" -- the warning held significant weight with the beholder, as it remembered the time its Sleep Ray had somehow disintegrated the fat dire boar Scareduke had brought in for the winter holiday. Ten eyebeams are hard to keep track of, sometimes.

For now, Stevenoth is prepared to leave. It makes sure The Scroll of Wonder is firmly in its rightful place, but otherwise simply nods.

Elvenoutrider
2013-03-18, 09:01 PM
The scareduke eyes Maestro's new host: "Acquiring new wealth and followers was the second phase of my plan, after we retreived what we lost. We need new soldiers to man the keep upstairs. We also need new traps, monsters artisans, and of course, more cultists. We have a theme to keep up in here. Our food supplies need to be restocked, and... we need some magical solvent to free our poor shaman.

The unfortunate truth of it is, that most of these things are hard to come by because their discovery usually brings with it the same kinds of thugs that have attacked us. It will take some searching. If you would like to take a team to help restock our humble abode, Please be my guest. I expect someone will be coming eventually to attempt to finish the job this group started. "

The scareduke walks toward Bailif and hands her the vial

"I admire your zeal. Dont let me down."

Sir Swindle89
2013-03-19, 11:10 AM
"Nay, my Lord, Bronco makes a fine point. It may take all our strength to hunt down an adventurer that could ravage the dungeon so throughly."
I order my goblin to start making preparations, gathering food from the floor and the like.

Lost Demiurge
2013-03-19, 11:17 AM
Mr. Tibbers approves. No sense in splitting up so early in the matter... The minions are, at best untried, and the lone adventurer was skilled enough to survive, after all.

This act of wisdom has won his interest and support, so he stretches once more, and pads down to wait for them to leave the lair. He'll sneak onboard some luggage, or maybe the dragon. The dragon and he have an understanding, he can always call on that if need be.

LordBlackadder
2013-03-19, 12:16 PM
"Yeah... after all, what if MORE adventurers show up in the hamlet..." Eerk pointed out in agreement.

"That tavern is a breeding pit for them, I tell ya."

Erik Vale
2013-03-19, 01:58 PM
"Well then. It would appear it's me, Bailif, Gobo-Mace [She already had a new name for Measus, just as annoying as the last one, and the one before that] and Steve..."

Maria expected more help, but such things did happen. She did however reach over to where Scarduke was offering her wolf Bailif the vial, taking it.

"Mean's we'll have to be cautious. However, how do we control the undead the vial makes, are they controlled by whoever throws the vial, are they controlled by words or thought? I don't know much about undead..."

Elvenoutrider
2013-03-19, 11:10 PM
((seems like everyone is ready to move on so here goes))

Buckling down to plan the attack, Scareduke pulls up an illusion of the town on the dining table in the middle of the room and beckons you to gather round.

"As I said the town is 6 hours away. It is a small farming community with about a dozen large families growing the food. They have the other essential jobs covered. In the center of the town is the blacksmith, carpenter, and the general store where they sell their wares. Likewise in the town center, there is a temple of The Traveler with a small graveyard, where you could break the vial to cause a distraction. The town has around 10 guards but only a few of them have any real training. And of course, on the very edge of the town, along the main road, is the tavern. The tavern is the only two story building in the town. It gets enough travelers where the place can usually keep its rooms occupied. They employ the more attractive women in town to help run the place. The tavern itself has two doors, one in the front, and one into the kitchen in the back. Beyond the basic town layout, we know nothing about guard placements, or what caravans are moving through the city. You guys will have to figure out some of the plan when you get there. I will cast a spell in a few hours to conjure a storm. That will force the remaining adventurer to stay the night. It will also give you all cover to move in. You all know the shortcuts so even if he has a horse, he shouldn't beat you there by much. Go now and finish the job. Oh, before I forget, these adventurers have some materials I think you could use. They left a low powered healing wand here along with a pack of smokesticks and alchemists fire. there are 5 in each box. you should take them to finish the job. I will stay here and ask the outer planes for guidance on the next phase of our plan. Good Luck!"

Erik Vale
2013-03-20, 12:10 AM
Maria carefully wraps up the vial of CUW, almost as if it was a treasured posesion instead of a weapon.

Next taking a box, Maria nods.
"We can plan on the way then. Let's go."

Can we get a visual image of the map?

NotScaryBats
2013-03-20, 01:48 AM
"NO PLAN SURVIVES CONTACT WITH THE ENEMY!" Stevenoth roars, having a flashback to the war. It shakes off the memory, blinking its ten eyes and nodding again, moving out with the group. The beholder is confident enough to take point if no one else feels up to the task.

Sir Swindle89
2013-03-20, 11:40 AM
Maestro notes the provisions that the Scareduke has supplied for the mission It would probably be better some one with hands of their own take them. he thinks to himself.

I order my goblin thrall to follow Steve.

Lost Demiurge
2013-03-20, 12:02 PM
And as the group emerges from the lair, Mister Tibbers pads out behind them and follows, unseen and unheard...

STEALTH ROLL
[roll0]

Elvenoutrider
2013-03-20, 04:13 PM
((ok guess you guys are moving out if you guys wanted to do anything before you left post it ooc and ill work it in retroactively))

After a few hours of trecking through the forest the sky begins to darken and rain begins to fall. It picks up slowely and deafening thunder and bright lightening come first. Only a fool would stay out i the storm that is to come - a fool or someone on a mission. By the time you reach a hill overlooking the town, the downpour has started. Your visibility has been shortened though the town has enough covered torches lit for you to make out the outlines of the buildings
Some people are still moving in the town though you are too far away to see specifics. The tavern is the closest building to you outlined in red, with stables across from it. Overlooking the town and a road leading into it is a watchtower on a hill. You cannot see from here if it is occupied. On the opposite end of town is the stone church od The Traveler and the graveyard next to it. The stone barracks where some of the on duty guards could be found is the building closest to the tavern - all the better for helping to subdue any adventurers that get too roudy. The largest building in town is the manor, where the local duke's lackey runs the town from. assuredly this building has some sort of guard. The other buildings in the square are the blacksmith and general store. The animals in the town not in the stables can be found in the barn in the upper right hand corner of the town.

((I think that is everything. I hope this works))

http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a617/elvenoutrider/GITP%20pics/town_zpscef55be8.jpg

Erik Vale
2013-03-20, 05:27 PM
Maria humms, thinking a bit.
It is now her connection and constant training of and with pack animals comes to the fore, in that she can make plans well above her age.

"What we need most is the adventurer... It doesn't matter if other people flee, but killing them would be nice..."

"Now, me and Bailif can get into town without attracting attention, you lot not so much. What I think we should do, is perhaps me go around to the main side of the tavern with Bailif, neither of us attracting much attention..."

She thinks another moment.
"We're going to need to hope the guards in the tower are lazy and don't see us set up. Bailif and I can position in front of the Inn. Then, to start the attack, Steve can start striking the walls of the Barracks with his eyes, even disintigrate if he want's cause the adventurer shouldn't be there, and perhaps Bronko can go with them to help subdue the guards before comming to help with the adventurer. Now, once Steve starts, Flame can start burning the inn, bossibly with the help of Maes and Eerk who can attack it from the rear. However, the rear attack must start after the fire and my attack to catch them as they flee out the back of the Inn... How's that sound?"

Bailif barks a bit.

"Surely he'll be there, why wouldn't he be in the tavern?"

Ok, Tasks being suggested.
Maria and Bailif: Attack the front of the Inn.
Goblin Rouge: Attack rear of Inn.
Pupeteer Goblin: Attack rear of Inn.
Beholder of Wonder: Attack the Baracks.
Hobgoblin Soldier: Help subue guards/protect Steve.
Baby Dragon: Light the Inn on fire, help kill occupents.

NotScaryBats
2013-03-20, 05:28 PM
Something catches Stevenoth 's cataritic attention, and the great beholder whirls around, shooting a random eyebeam off into the distance as it does so. "HALFING ON DECK! BATTEN DOWN THE HATCHES! "

Elvenoutrider
2013-03-20, 05:34 PM
((scrubbed))

Erik Vale
2013-03-20, 05:45 PM
Maria immidiately dives to the ground, and Bailif narrowly dodges a beam and begins growling.
"Stop Steve! You'll attract the guards."

Frendle
2013-03-20, 06:57 PM
"My dear Maria, why would we want me to go protect Steve? I'm not exactly dressed for it." Bronko displays the fact that he has no armor on at the moment.

“Perhaps it would be wise to send someone into the Inn to see if the adventure is even in there. At least we can check the common areas.”
“Once we know whether he is in there, shouldn’t we also then use the weapon we were given to create a diversion for the guards. Though certainly Steve can go down there and add to the mayhem as well.”

“Is there anyone who volunteers to go into the tavern. Though I don’t think it should be Steve, as delightfully funny as that would be.”

Sir Swindle89
2013-03-20, 07:29 PM
"I agree frontal assault on a tavern of adventurers seem foolhardy."

Remembering that people like to be looked at when spoken to I turn the goblin from the inn towards the party.

"I would much prefer to ride one of these serving women or a guard into the tavern, identify him, and kill him as a group while he sleeps"

Looking at Steve quizzically I hope no one saw that

NotScaryBats
2013-03-20, 07:53 PM
Stevenoth squints ten malignant eyes at the form of the cat, trying to identify it. "GUARDS? HA! I EAT GUARDS FIR BREAKFAST - HOT AND WITH BUTTER AND JAM!"

It slowly turns to take in the rest of the party with a sour expression. "THERE IS A CAT FOLLOWING ME."

Erik Vale
2013-03-20, 08:17 PM
"Well shut up and ignore it. Ok, let's pull back a bit... I suppose we should take a look, I can do that without atracting attention. And as for the weapon, I was really hoping to use it to get all those we kill as well as the already dead, but we can do that... Actually, wait, no, it kills him... However we can't kill him Maes, but perhaps we could sneak in and kill the rest of the adventurers and tie him up. Just a drop of the liquad on them and then I can tie him up, then with Bailif I could drag him out and then we can attack."

After a moment, she lights up.

"Orrr. I could be obvious and walk up the the guard tower and slay the guards. Then, we can take any guards to the graveyard. Slay those in the temple, put them on the graveyard as well. Then, I can sneak around looking for the adventurer, or I could do that first, either way. Then, when we know that, Flame could fly above the graveyard and drop the vial on it, Steve could blast at the baracks as a distration, and the rest of us attack the biulding the adventurer is in."

Sir Swindle89
2013-03-21, 06:19 AM
Addressing the group"We're going to have every fighting man in town on us about 5 seconds after we attack that guard house. So since your second plan appears to be suicidal I vote for scouting before we make a full plan."

Turning to Eerk "Eerk, If you would be so kind I shall abandon this body and I would ask you to sneak up to the back kitchen window and place me on the inside. After a few minutes I will return with my new host to that window and telepathically give you my report then you may return to the group."

I slither down to my host goblin's hand and hold myself out for Eerk to take.

Lost Demiurge
2013-03-21, 09:36 AM
Mr. Tibbers cautiously pokes his head out from the scorched grass, where the eyebeam so narrowly missed him.

Well. Beholders, what can you do? Still, if the fat orb thing was going to fire at him every time he caught a glimpse, well... There'd have to be a reckoning.

Maybe he could poop in the Beholder's bed. That usually put mortals in their place. Hm. Did the beholder even HAVE a bed?

Bah! Nonsense! Time to get to work.

Mister Tibbers sneaks past the group, and attempts to gain entry to the inn.

[roll0]

LordBlackadder
2013-03-21, 03:45 PM
"Make sure we know it's you, and not... some guard." Eerk warned quietly before taking the puppeteer carefully and making his move.

Stealth: [roll0]

Sir Swindle89
2013-03-21, 04:57 PM
I send to Eerk **I'll be the one that makes my voice pop into your head when he looks at you**

Elvenoutrider
2013-03-22, 11:22 AM
((sorry I took so long its been a long couple of days))

You approach the tavern under the cover of the pouring rain. One guard is at the main entrance to the town under a small wooden station that protects him from the rain. He doesnt notice you as you sneak past behind some underbrush. When you reach the tavern you hear music from within over the sound of the storm. The music is touch and upbeat and a group of voices singing tell you it is a drinking song though you can of hear the words. Out in front of the tavern a group of men drink and smoke while being watched over by a giant bouncer. People are constantly walking in and out the front door. This could allow you access. You circle the perimeter and see a few other options. The first option would be a number of windows you could sneak through on the first floor, or you could climb to one of the second floor rooms. Out back there is the door to the kitchen. The staff are frequently walking out back to dump trash. A young woman leaves the tavern from the back door and starts sprinting toward a the larger house beyond the town square.

Across from the tavern are the stables where 3 horses have been tied. One of them is clearly of higher quality than the others, a freshly groomed white steed.

Sir Swindle89
2013-03-22, 02:42 PM
To Eerk **Thank you for the ride. You may set me down near that kitchen door.**

I wait patiently near the door until one of the servants come out to dump trash again. When one does I manifest Psionic Charm.

Elvenoutrider
2013-03-23, 09:37 AM
You wait a few minutes before one of the barmaids comes out to discard a pile of pig bones. She notices your slimy chitanous form on top of the trash bin and can't help but say
"Awwwww how cute"

She reached her hand down to pet you...

One things are to another and soon you are latched onto her dominated body.

Your move

Sir Swindle89
2013-03-23, 10:21 AM
I strech a little to get used to the woman's form. I give a little wave to the darkness so that if the group is still within sight they know I got in.

I go back into the Inn, sett the waste pail down, and look around.

LordBlackadder
2013-03-24, 08:45 AM
Eerk went through the shadows and back the way he came to the rest of the group."Right-o. He's latched on. I guess we have to wait."

Frendle
2013-03-24, 02:38 PM
"Hopefully not too long, Steve might get sight of that damned cat again."

Bronko looks for a likely place to get some concealment and still keep an eye on the town.

[SPOILER]Stealth: [roll0]

NotScaryBats
2013-03-24, 07:33 PM
Stevenoth drools on the ground, having dozed off. It murmurs something in its sleep, "mumble mumble...ITS A TRAP... mumble... CONSARNIT..."

Elvenoutrider
2013-03-24, 11:12 PM
ok for everyone overlooking the tavern:

[SPOILER]The music in the tavern suddenly stops and a number of angry shouts start up. All up the sudden, a cat leaps out of the window and...

[roll0]

... deftly leaps and sprints off into the night. A few moments later, a man in leather armor leaps out the window and combat rolls on the ground before quickly drawing and loading his crossbow. he aims it, though his target has long vanished. He lets out a string of expletives that make even the venerable beholder blush. A group of men drunkenly stumble out of the bar to talk to the armed man in leather, and after a quick exchange, they all spread out and begin searching in the direction the cat ran off to /SPOILER]

Lost Demiurge
2013-03-24, 11:22 PM
And Mister Tibbers stealthily makes his way back to the group, carefully hugging the ground and utilizing every bit of cover he's got.

STEALTH!
[roll0]

Once there, the group is treated to the sight of a battle-scarred black tomcat, with torn ears, yellow eyes full of malice, and a tiny white patch on his forehead dragging behind him a necklace of orange gems.

He calmly deposits it on the ground, then walks to the edge of the clearing, and looks over at the man in leather armor. At the men spread out and searching... Scattered and ambushable...

"Roooowwww...." He says, tail lashing with cruel expectation.

Erik Vale
2013-03-25, 12:57 AM
Maria reaches up pinching her tongue, makes a wierd noise, and speaks.

To mister Tibbers, it appears to be in Feline... But to everyone else it's in common.

"My guess is that the one who just jumped out the window is who we want... Now what's the necklace?

Speak with Animals used, disappears in one minute.

Meanwhile, Maria crouchs while Bailif hugs the ground, her sling out.

Taking 10 on hide checks.

Lost Demiurge
2013-03-25, 08:28 AM
Mr. Tibbers' eyes widen, and his tail thumps the ground, in a considering sort of way.

He meows a few times.

TO MARIA
"Ahhhhh.... Someone with a modicum of power. Good, Gooooooooood. I offer a partnership, that in the future we may more effectively plan our mutual rise to power. What do you say?"

"And to answer your question, the necklace was simply something the man in leather armor was wearing. I grabbed it to make him leave the inn, so you could get to him more easily. It may or may not be magical, I can't check because I'm a flipping CAT, but he certainly values it."

"FYI, he was sitting in the common room with a big bag of the Scareduke's gold, spending it like it was pennies and hanging out with an old man in a robe. So. Treasure THERE, adventurer to kill HERE, ominous old man still THERE. Questions?"

At any rate, please get them moving into ambush before leather guy goes back in. I almost took a crossbow bolt to get him out, and I'm not going to do that again."

Erik Vale
2013-03-26, 02:49 AM
"I would say maybe, becuase I can't speak to you long each day. Now then."

Maria picks up the necklace to wear, she doesn't waste the time checking if it's magical as she moves to saddle up on Bailif.

"Ok. This is his and apparently he values it, the guy that seems competent is the adventurer. I'm about to run distraction with Bailif, the rest of you start moving to ambush the other guys, oh, and apparently all the loot is in the tavern with the other guy, like I expected."
She sounds oh so smug.
"If there are any questions, ask them now, and quickly."

Bailif barks once.
"No."

Frendle
2013-03-27, 08:59 AM
"That looks like our target.” Bronko points at the man in leather armor. “I need to get fairly close to him to weaken him a bit.”

Bronko takes out his bow as he begins to sneak forward angling his direction toward an intercept course with the adventurer.

After a second he stops and turns back around, "Steve, don't fry me. Just shoot at buildings and guards, ok?"

[roll0] Stealth

Need to get within 25 feet to cast spell.

Lost Demiurge
2013-03-27, 09:11 AM
The cat looks disgusted as the main part of the minions are still looking around, uncertain. He meows at Maria.

MARIA
"Well. Elite assassins they are NOT. Ask'em if they want to live forever."

And with that, he starts slowly stalking toward the adventurer, in classic feline style...

STEALTHILY!
[roll0]

NotScaryBats
2013-03-27, 03:11 PM
When Stevenoth is addressed, it wakes suddenly from its short nap. "ALRIGHT, LET'S DO THIS!! SCAAAAAREDUKE VON EVILSATAN!!" the great beholder yells with authority, floating off towards the adventurer and the guards, firing eyebeams like there are hundreds of the tiny whelps out there instead of just a handful.

10 eyebeams fired at the various targets. They have a 150 ft range, but the storm and cataracts will conspire against me.

[roll0] vs touch
[roll1] vs touch
[roll2] vs touch
[roll3] vs touch
[roll4] vs touch
[roll5] vs touch
[roll6] vs touch
[roll7] vs touch
[roll8] vs touch
[roll9] vs touch
[roll10] vs touch
I'd say, probably, 1-3 on the leather clad young fellow, a couple on other guards. If there's a scarecrow or particularly intimidating-looking rock formation, that'll probably get a couple, too.

Erik Vale
2013-03-27, 04:47 PM
"Your right. Okay, Steve, stop shooting at the adventurer, everyone else, start sneaking."

Bailif stands up under Maria and proptly begins walking away from the beholder lighthouse [his words], while Maria starts taking out one of the flasks of alchemists fire, decides against it, and loads her sling with a regular stone.

Moving directly away from Steve but not towards the adventurers on my loyal wolf.

Elvenoutrider
2013-03-27, 10:09 PM
((steve I randomly determined your effects))

The sound of screaming rises above the thunderclaps of the storm as Stevenoth lets loose his rays and battlecries. The sky is lit up as red, orange and purple rays light up the scene, temporarily blinding everyone looking. When the light clears, a flash of lightening relights the scene. ONe of the thugs is missing, and the others are retreating to cover. IN the middle, a stone statue of the adventurer still stands, crossbow raised to meet a chellenger he never got to face.

"GET THE GUARDS!!!! GET THE CLERIC!!!! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!!"

Everything seems quiet when all of the sudden, a cry from the tavern rises over the others:

"BACK TO THE SHADOWS BEAST!!!"

this is accompanied by a silver white whispy beam fired from one of the tavern windows. Gold flashes shine like glitter through it. It impacts right under stevenoth. Where it hits, a glowing gold hemisphere rises up from the impact location and overtake stevenoth's body. Stevenoth, you recognize this as being hit by pure, concentrated good. The energy burns your evil body and the golden light threatens to blind your eyes. Roll a will save

Everyone else scattered away from steve so they are uneffected. by the spell

[roll0]

Steve:
if you fail your will save you take half damage and are blinded

Lost Demiurge
2013-03-27, 11:08 PM
Mr. Tibbers blinks.

That beam would probably unmake me in my current weakened form...

He resumes sneaking towards the tavern. Anyone who could do THAT needed to be rent in twain posthaste!

NotScaryBats
2013-03-28, 12:39 AM
[roll0] Will Save!

"GAH! THE EYES! DIVINE INTERVENTION! CURSES TO YOU, NEFARIOUS SERVANT OF THIS PLANE'S WEAK, FOOLISH GODS!"

Frendle
2013-03-28, 01:37 PM
Damn, well that changes things.

Bronko alters his direction toward the inn. He gets out his sword.

All I know is STEVE can carry that statue back in his mouth, Crazy Beholder.

Stealth: [roll0] -5 for moving at normal speed. I will have moved 90 (30+60) at the end of the round. I think that puts me about 40 from the inn?

Erik Vale
2013-03-28, 03:04 PM
"Grabing the Gold! You lot grab the statue!"

Bailif veers off towards the tavern carrying Maria, who has yet to fire her sling.
As it is, they will head for a door.

Maria did wonder though, did this count as alive...
Well, they did tell him not to shoot at the adventurer.

Frendle
2013-03-28, 07:29 PM
Bronko looks at Eerk, “Ok, one quick spell and I’m going in after the Cleric, or whatever he is.”

Bronko recites the ritual which brings focus to his hate and concentrates it in his shoulders arms and hands. Then he enters the inn and heads straight for the figure firing out the window.

As he swings his weapon he shouts, “You will now rest in the eternal damnation that awaits your kind. I have slain you!”

Spell: True Strike

Acrobatics if necessary to get to the caster. [roll0]

Attack: [roll1] long sword

Crit: [roll2]

Damage: [roll3]

Elvenoutrider
2013-03-28, 09:45 PM
((ok bronco jumped the gun on the attack. you can have true strike prepared for next round and keep your rolls if you wish, steve hasnt declared an action but in the interest of keeping things moving I am going to start the next round. IN my personal experience these games need to be kept moving as much as possible. I will try to work steve's actions into the last turn when he posts. I am not going to worry about initiative. each side will act during their sides turn in the order they post in. I have found that using initiative in pbp bogs down games to the point where most of the games I have been in did not last past the first combat. This is a new way for me to try this so add any objections you have in the ooc))

Bronko, maria and Eerk:
you two are perched under a window about to leap in. before you can act however, you hear a loud splat, as thoug someone threw a wet blanket at the window. looking up, the window has been covered in a thick, spiderweb, dripping with adhesive. Looking into the rom, there are four spiders about as large as any person youve seen, throwing webs at the windows. A few of the thugs who took cover inside run back for the kitchen. The spiders are a glitening white with gold markings and hiss at you menacingly. The spiders manage to web the three closest windows and the door. The old man is running up a flight of stairs. on the opposite side of the inn from where you are. The bag of holding you are seeking is nowhere to be seen from where you are.

Maria, you are not under the window so you cannot see the details that they see, however, you see the sticky webbing adhere to the windows.

and everyone:

The crowd of thugs and villagers continues to run away further into town. A warning bell starts ringing through the town. the guards, who are not yet in battle will be. Speaking of those who are in battle, an arrow flies silently from the direction of the watchtower directly at steve (the only visible target from there):

[roll0]
[roll1] (longbow)
and, maria, as you ride toward the tavern without attempting to sneak, the guard who was hiding behind his station fires his bow, yelling

"GET OUT OF OUR TOWN BITCH"
[roll2]
[roll3] (shortbow)

here is the map, steve you are not on the map, you are south west of the tavern

((http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a617/elvenoutrider/GITP%20pics/Town_zps94759cc3.jpg?t=1364525709))

Lost Demiurge
2013-03-28, 10:34 PM
Mister Tibbers keeps moving, at least until he reaches the wall of the tavern. Once there, he will abandon stealth and jump in the open downstairs window...

NotScaryBats
2013-03-28, 11:39 PM
Sorry, didn't know it was a new round!

Stevenoth roars again, firing a few wild beams at the buildings, trying to levitate the stone statue it just created, and retreating towards the tree line.

Elvenoutrider
2013-03-29, 12:22 AM
Steve, you target the statue with one of your eyes, hitting the ground next to it with no effect, another of your beams hits a house doing nothing, while the eye you aim at another building throws a cart full of barrels through the window, resulting in a lot more screaming. You have not really accomplished anything this turn, however you now know which is your telekinesis eye for this current round which you may now act in. It is noted that you are backing away from combat

NotScaryBats
2013-03-29, 12:32 AM
"LOUSY MAGE MESSING UP MY AIM!!" Stevenoth mutters loudly, fixing its TK eye on the statue for real this time, and using two new eyes against the town in a blatant disregard for any real strategy.

Erik Vale
2013-03-29, 01:59 AM
Maria shouts back.

"Claims Genocidal Abandoning Maniacs!"

Maria makes her way into the tavern, going straight to [and if possible] straight pass the gold in a blur, grabbing it as she rides by on Bailif.

Sir Swindle89
2013-03-29, 10:13 AM
Seeing that the battle is escalating quickly. I RUN towards may allies at eh corner of the in with my mace drawn. As soon as I get within range to my telepathy I send.

**Don't attack the brute with that mace that's me. I have the gold lets escape this place before they respond with overwhelming force.**

I take cover against the inn if I can.

Erik Vale
2013-03-29, 02:57 PM
Maria nods, and guides Bailif towards the statue of the adventurer.

Elvenoutrider
2013-03-30, 08:33 PM
((in the interest of moving on...))

maria: the guard who fired at you last round, surprised to find he hasnt been destroyed yet, fires another arrow at you:

[roll0]
dam: [roll1]
steve: you take another arrow:

[roll2]
dam: [roll3]

and:

another silver white beam comes out of the second floor of the tavern ((roll a reflex save steve))

as for everyone else

((idk what everyone at the tavern is doing soooo...))

there is a splat at the other windows as the spiders fill the remaining windows with gooey web

((Im not exactly sober now but I think I hit everything. If maestro runs again, he can reach the tavern or the statue, and mr tibbers can rach whichever hotspot he needs to this round. tell me if I forgot anything))

Erik Vale
2013-03-30, 09:33 PM
Maria ducks her head and lets the arrow fly past her harmlessly as she continues to ride towards the statue.

NotScaryBats
2013-03-30, 11:10 PM
"ALRIGHT, TROOPS: MOVE OUT - WE GOT THE CARGO!! "

Sir Swindle89
2013-03-31, 10:54 AM
Hearing Steve's bellow I Run back towards Steve and the forest.

I yell "MISSION ACCOMPLISHED FALL BACK!"

Lost Demiurge
2013-03-31, 03:56 PM
Skidding to a stop, Mister Tibbers blinks. They're falling back? Tch. Minions these days.

He eyes the tavern window he was going to jump through. For no reason he can comprehend at this minute, it appears to be full of spiders.

Well. Eff that plan then.

Abandoning stealth, Mister Tibbers runs like the wind out of the village. What are the odds that they'll notice anything but a common moggie fleeing for his life? Damn small, I think...

Frendle
2013-03-31, 07:19 PM
Bronko begins to climb the outer wall of the Inn intending to head toward one of the upstairs windows. When he hears the call to retreat, he curses loudly and jumps down the couple of feet he had climbed.

He asses the situation and figures this to be a time when speed is preferable to stealth. He runs at a full sprint toward the southwest.

Elvenoutrider
2013-03-31, 11:34 PM
As soon as you begin to visibly retreat, the magic user in the tavern ceases returning fire with his spell. Guards begin pouring out of the barracks and charge for the tavern before drawing bows, yet they find nothing to fire at. You are all able to escape, statue and bag of hiding in tow. the storm lets up just as the town is out of view - perfect timing on the scareduke's part. Soon you are left in the forest with a massive bag of gold. The question is now... do you return with it, or set out on your own?

NotScaryBats
2013-03-31, 11:47 PM
"GOOD JOB TROOPS. PROMOTIONS ALL AROUND!!" Stevenoth bellows, saluting the gathered minions with one cataritic eyestalk. The statue floats lazily behind the beholder's massive form. "NAVIGATOR -- CHART A NEW COURSE!!" It says to no one in particular.

Stevenoth has forgotten the way home, and will follow anyone who claims to be 'the navigator.'

Erik Vale
2013-04-01, 12:45 AM
Maria Smiles.
"Didn't even have to use the concentrate... I just hope he has something to turn stone to flesh handy..."
Maria begins loosing her smile.
"Come on. Lets go home."

Maria begins leading the way back.

Survival of +4, but I'll be using Bailfi's Scent were possible, which will help try to stick to the path we came from.

Sir Swindle89
2013-04-01, 08:41 AM
I follow Maria

"he Scareduke will be most pleased."

Elvenoutrider
2013-04-01, 01:49 PM
((seems like group consensus is to return to base. ))

After a few hours you see the familiar abandoned keep. The above ground area is still unguarded. It seems scareduke has yet to recruit another tribe to take the fort over.

The main gate into the dungeon is locked tight, but after giving the secret knock, the door is opened slightly revealing the remaining goblins left in the dungeon taking cover behind the door. They are relieved to see steve's friendly face instead of more attackers. The goblins have been busy retrapping the corridor. some of the magic traps have been reactivated, but for the most part the traps they have set are basic spring loaded crossbow and swinging blade traps - nothing that would stop a dedicated group.

Passing the goblin's corridors, the shaman is still shouting obscenities from the toilet he has been glued to, though the goblins seem to have done a decent job cleaning the damage. You meet scareduke back in his lab. As you enter, he is standing with a cloaked figure with smoke emanating from the folds of his cloak. he smells strongly of brimstone.

"I see your followers have arrived. Is our business concluded?"

"Yes I believe it is. I look forward to receiving your end of the bargain"

The two figures shake hands. as soon as they release, the new figure disappears in a burst of flame.

The scareduke looks to you.

"Well it seems everyone has made it. have you succeeded?"

He looks down at the adventurer, still a petrified statue. He looks back to Steve and sighs.

"Well I guess this is about the furthest you could get from disintegrated. It looks like we will have to wait until tomorow to interrogate him. Tell me how it went."

NotScaryBats
2013-04-01, 03:28 PM
"THERE WAS A CLERIC ON SITE THAT BLASTED ME -- MAYBE ANOTHER FRIEND OF THEIRS!" Stevenoth says in its inside voice, setting the statue down, but having trouble getting the action-posed rogue to stand upright. After the thing falls over a few times, Stevenoth gets impatient and just deposits it irreverently on its side in the corner of the room.

Lost Demiurge
2013-04-01, 03:39 PM
Meanwhile, from his perch, Mister Tibbers watches the scene below and sneers to himself. Well, he would if cats' lips could move correctly. He probably just looks grumpy.

But really, what did the Scareduke expect? You don't point an asset like Stevenoth at something and expect things to go without a hitch.

Well, at least it was amusing. Later that night he'd go and widdle on the adventurer's statue head. That would show him.

Erik Vale
2013-04-01, 04:31 PM
"It wet well, albiet we spent a while talking until your lovely little cat acted and somehow proved it's sentient, which is interesting... I'll have to spend more time with it, as for the statue. Well, We told Steve to shoot at other things, and we were able to gather the funds."

Maria smiles brightly.

Elvenoutrider
2013-04-01, 10:47 PM
"Hmmmmm, so you allowed one to get away. I thought I had trained you all better than this. Nonetheless capturing this man and recovering our treasure is definitely a victory and a step toward our revenge. Our next step must be to reinforce our defenses. We must recruit or capture more monsters, build traps, and secure alliances to ensure our longevity. I shall give you each a thousand good. More than enough for your contributions. I was about to travel to he drow city of Mehabarazzan to trade if you would like to come. The teleportation circle should be ready soon. Until it has activated, let us plan our next step."

Scareduke looks condescendingly at Maria:

Really Maria? My little mr. Tibbers? Sentient? He still hasn't figured out he can't catch the little lights I shine on the ground or how to escape his kennel. I know you Druids tend to personify your animals but I assure you be is just a cat. Isn't that right Mr. Tibbers?"

With this last line he reaches out to the cat, using Mage hand to let he cat from across the room.

Lost Demiurge
2013-04-01, 11:00 PM
The cat purrs, and accepts the magey scratch, rolling over for belly fluffies.

It's only a trick of the light, that changes the glance that he shoots at Maria. Surely it's only a trick of the light that for an instant shows his eyes to be full of malice at her inept betrayal.

NotScaryBats
2013-04-03, 03:05 PM
"AH. MEHAZARABARAZEM -- THE UNDERDARK... I REMEMBER WHEN I RULED THERE. THE ABOLETH KING XX'DR'IMINAT AND I GO WAY BACK. YES, THE UNDERDARK IS RIPE AND LUSCIOUS THIS TIME OF YEAR. I ALWAYS HAD MY SLAVES PLUMPED AND READY FOR MARKET BY NOW, AND THERE IS NOTHING SO SAVORY AS AN UNDERDARK-BRED SNERFLEBALIM WITH SECRET MUSHROOM SAUCE AND A SIDE OF MYCONID SHAVINGS..." Stevenoth's mouth opens grotesquely, and the beholder is drooling more than usual.

Elvenoutrider
2013-04-03, 03:14 PM
The scareduke looks at the beholder,

"Ah yes Stevenoth, the markets are where we met were they not?"

Adressing the room:

"The way I see it is this, we have a matter of days - the time it will take for the villagers to spread word of the attack, the time for anyone to muster their forces, and the time it will take them to reach here." In this time we need to capture more monsters."

Scareduke eyes the teleportation circle.

"If any of you wish to accompany me to the markets, now is the time. we will spend 4 hours, and our circle will remain for as long so you can all return any time before then. As for any of you who dont wish to come, you should look into reinforcing our defenses or look into capturing any monsters that may be roaming the countryside."

With this, scareduke throws the sack over his shoulder, walks into the circle, and vanishes

NotScaryBats
2013-04-03, 03:21 PM
"YES, UNDERDARK MASONS WOULD BE CAPABLE OF REPAIRING THE DAMAGE TO THE TRAPS, UMBERHULKS TASTE CRISPY WITH SOME GARLIC BUTTER..." Stevenoth murmurs to itself, floating over to the teleportation circle.

It seems the great beholder is having a hard time deciding whether to eat first or recruit first.

Lost Demiurge
2013-04-03, 03:53 PM
The cat rolls to his feet, and moves toward the circle. He pauses to sharpen his claws on the adventurer statue before he goes.

Erik Vale
2013-04-03, 04:02 PM
Maria smiles.
"It'll be fun... And perhaps I can get something for this damnable headache."

Sir Swindle89
2013-04-03, 04:32 PM
Hmm what does an Umberhulk slave run these days?

I head to the portal

Elvenoutrider
2013-04-04, 06:31 PM
Stepping into the circle you feel as though your body is suddenly compresed and sucked through a tube. It is disorienting but you soon find yourself at the end of your joyrney. You are now standing in a small windowless stone room. The stones on the ceiling glow to give the room some light. The scareduke stands at the door waiting for you all.

"We have the room here reserved for the next four hours. We are in the back of Morghul's magic shop. you should be able to find just about anything you need here in terms of magic items. For anything else, you will have to venture into the markets. watch your pockets, dont make eye contact, and whatever you do, stay out of the way of the drow. If you aggravate them, you will certainly find yourself missing the deadline, and probably will find yourself in the arena. Oh and if you find yourself tempted to steal from here, the staff will know your plan before you come up with it. dont try anything funny. you wont survive the ordeal. Now, if you excuse me, I am going to go see a man about a deal..."

Scareduke opens the door into the lobby of the store.

The store is the size of a small manor. Lines and lines of aisles are lined with magic items. Potions, wants, clothing, whatever you could want. The inhabitants of the store are a mix of members of various races. The predominant are the ebony skinned elves, the drow. a crowd of kobolds rummages through the discount bins. A giant ape in a white coat is searching the potion racks. The store is run by a small force of mind flayers. They watch the customers, tenticles wriggling whenever they lock eyes on a customer.

what are all of you looking for?

Erik Vale
2013-04-04, 08:39 PM
Maria looks around for a moment, all smiles while she pats Bailif.

"Don't worry, we won't get in trouble, will we Bailif?"
There is a ever so subtle eye roll from the wolf.
"Apothocary first. Theres a few things I need to pick up... Then theres a snake I've had on order, and some stuff from the leatherworker... He must have enjoyed working on my order. Then I have to see one of the beast masters..."
Maria does however move to go amoungst the various inks and gels, a smile on her face.
Even as children, women enjoy shopping... Even if it's with a slight headache and the rare cough.

Ok, How much do you wan't us to RP our purchases? Is this supposed to be it's own mini-session or a chance to roleplay?
Just a minor point, but it's nice to be clear.

NotScaryBats
2013-04-04, 10:55 PM
Stevenoth grumbles to itself, not much caring for the illithid race. This pocket change isn't nearly enough to purchase a lens or mouthpick weapon, but it would cover some hot buttered umberhulk and purple worm liver...

The great beholder licks its massive lips, floating out of the magic item shop and into the streets. If it remembered correctly, there should be a wonderful restaurant run by an old adventuring buddy of Stevenoth's around here somewhere...

Lost Demiurge
2013-04-05, 08:56 AM
Mister Tibbers stretches, and pads out the door. Even in the underdark, there are cats. And if danger comes, he can easily escape and hide.

He has no goal in mind, merely looking for opportunity...