PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] The AD&D Fighter, since everyone else is posting fighter fixes

PairO'Dice Lost
2013-03-17, 06:53 PM
Author's NoteSince posters in all of the other fighter-fix threads (myself included) kept mentioning how the fighter had lots of benefits in AD&D that were lost in the edition change, I decided to write up an AD&D-inspired fighter fix...and by the time I was halfway through it I decided I couldn't take it seriously and wrote this parody instead. :smallwink:

This isn't intended as a "fix" at all, so much as a long series of references that fellow AD&D players will appreciate, and when being critiqued for balance this should be read with the assumption that my tongue is firmly planted in my cheek.

The AD&D Fighter

https://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/alumni_fighter1.jpg

Abilities: The principal attribute of a fighter is strength. A good dexterity rating is also highly desirable. Fighters ore the strongest of characters in regards to sheer physical strength, and they are the best at hand-to-hand combat.

Alignment: Fighters may be of any alignment - good or evil, lawful or chaotic, or neutral.

Table: The AD&D Fighter

LevelBABFortRefWillSpecial
1+1+2+2+2Day Job, Armor vs. Weapon Tables, Slayer of Mooks
2+2+3+3+3Weapon Proficiencies, Hale And Hearty
3+3+3+3+3Nonweapon Proficiencies, Bend Bars/Lift Gates
4+4+4+4+4Weapon Specialization, Best Saves In The Game
5+5+4+4+4Sir Bob the Fourth, Armor Mastery
6+6/+6+5+5+5Iterative Schmiterative, Gridless Combat
7+7/+7+5+5+5Roll Low For This One, Percentile Strength
8+8/+8+6+6+6Whaddya Mean "Touch AC"?, Crit Happens
9+9/+9+6+6+6Name Level, Hit Point Deflation
10+10/+10+7+7+7DM Pity Artifact, Anything You Can Imagine
11+11/+11/+11+7+7+7Armor Class Isn't Obsolete, I Hate Logarithmic Growth
12+12/+12/+12+8+8+8Mage Slayer, Roleplaying Not Rollplaying
13+13/+13/+13+8+8+8Gygaxian Naturalist, Wild Talent
14+14/+14/+14+9+9+9Exponential XP Tables, Player's Options
15+15/+15/+15+9+9+9Godslayer, DM's Favorite Character
16+16/+16/+16/+16+10+10+10Immortal, No One Plays To Level 20 Anyway

Hit Die: Fighters have a ten-sided die (d10) for determination of their hit points per level. No other class of character (save the knight, barbarian, or warblade (qq.v.)) is stronger in this regard.

Class Skills: The fighter's class-skills include all skills except Concentration, Craft (Alchemy), Disable Device, Knowledge (Arcana, Planes, and Psionics), Open Lock, Spellcraft, and Use Magic Device.
Skill Points per Level: 6 + Int Modifier, x4 at first level.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Although fighters do not have magic spells to use, their armor and weapons can compensate. Fighters are proficient in all simple and martial weapons, all types of armor, and all shields including tower shields.

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the fighter, and all are considered Extraordinary abilities unless noted otherwise.

Day Job
I wanna be a bowyer! Or a sailor! No, a lapidary! ...What the heck is a "lapidary"?
Choose two Craft or Perform skills, such as Craft (Weaponsmithing) or Perform (Interpretive Dance). You always possess a number of ranks in those skills equal to your fighter level + 3; if you take levels in another class you may spend skill points normally to keep them at maximum rank.

Armor vs. Weapon Tables
Because it's more realistic, that's why! No, I don't know why a Bec de Corbin is good against plate armor!
The first time in a given combat that you are attacked by a certain type of weapon (two-handed slashing, light piercing, etc.), roll 1d10-5. You apply the resulting bonus or penalty to your armor class against all further attacks by that type of weapon during that combat.

Slayer of Mooks
Die, zeroth-level scum!
You gain a number of extra attacks of opportunity per round equal to your fighter level. Whenever a creature with a level or hit dice less than or equal to 1/5 your fighter level + 1 enters your reach, leaves your reach, takes an action, doesn't take an action, or just plain pisses you off, you may make an attack of opportunity against it. You may attack each such creature only once per round using this ability.

Weapon Proficiencies
Glaive-glaive-glaive-guisarme-glaive!
Choose two exotic weapons or armors; you gain proficiency with the chosen weapons or armor. Each time you gain a fighter level, choose an exotic weapon or armor and gain proficiency with it.

Nonweapon Proficiencies:
Back in my day, we didn't have a skill system! We had, like, two or three. At least.
Choose one Profession skill. You always possess a number of ranks in those skills equal to your fighter level + 3; if you take levels in another class you may spend skill points normally to keep it at maximum rank. Additionally, once per encounter (once per minute when not in combat), you may make a check with either this Profession skill or one of the Craft or Perform skills you chose as part of your Day Job class feature in place of another skill check, as long as you can explain to your DM why this skill check relates to your background or profession somehow; the DM is encouraged to accept creative interpretations.

At 6th level and every 3 levels thereafter, you may choose one additional Profession skill to be automatically "maxed out" with your fighter level in the same way, and you may use this ability one additional time per encounter.

Hale And Hearty
I don't care if you have an 18 Constitution, high hit points are my class feature!
You add double your Constitution bonus to your hit points gained at each level, instead of adding just your Constitution bonus. This increase is calculated retroactively.

Bend Bars/Lift Gates
But what if I want to bend gates and lift bars?
When attacking a creature or object with damage reduction or hardness, you may ignore points of damage reduction or hardness equal to twice your Strength bonus. When attempting to break an object, add double your Strength bonus to the check instead of just your Strength bonus.

Weapon Specialization
Fear me, for I am the master of the dart!
Choose one weapon group (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/weaponGroupFeats.htm#usingWeaponGroupsInPlaceOfCla ssWeaponProficiencies). Any weapon you wield from that group gains an enhancement bonus to attack and damage rolls equal to 1/3 your fighter level. As long as you are wielding only weapons from your chosen weapon group, you may make a full attack as a standard action. You may make one extra attack at your full base attack bonus per round when doing so, but only every other round.

Best Saves In The Game
...But I'm good at Save vs. Spells and Save vs. Breath Weapon! Why would they ever give me bad Ref and Will saves?
When making any saving throw, you may add 1/2 your fighter level to the saving throw instead of the ability modifier you use for that saving throw if it is higher.

Sir Bob the Fourth (Su)
Dammit Dave, did you have to make another dwarf fighter?
Once per month, when you are killed you may choose to be teleported along with all your gear to a random location within 1 mile of your location of death, leaving a very convincing corpse behind with copies of all your nonmagical equipment. Once you arrive at the new location, you benefit from a resurrection spell and you immediately know the distance and direction to travel to return to anyone who was with you when you died.

As a side effect, you return to life younger than you were when you died, at the starting age for a fighter of your race, and your appearance is changed just enough that everyone you encounter believes you to be your son or daughter (as appropriate) despite your protestations or any evidence to the contrary.

Armor Mastery
Because who needs realistic armor, anyway?
You ignore any speed reduction, maximum Dexterity limit, or armor check penalty imposed by armor you wear or shields you wield, and their weight does not count against your encumbrance.

Iterative Schmiterative
How does "3/2 attacks per round" sound to you?
Any extra attacks you gain from your fighter levels based on your BAB do not take iterative attack penalties; for instance, a level 12 fighter attacks at +12/+12/+12 per round rather than at +12/+7/+2, but a fighter 10/barbarian 2 attacks at +12/+12/+2. When making a full attack with a weapon from a group with which you have Weapon Specialization, your every-other-round extra attack may instead be made every round

Gridless Combat
Well, we play theater of the mind, not this newfangled stop-motion square-counting!
As an immediate action in response to an opponent moving closer to one of your allies, you may move up to your speed to place yourself in their path. If you do so, they must succeed on an opposed initiative check with you or be forced to stop moving just before the square you moved into and end their turn. Additionally, any enemy who enters your threatened area is forced to end their movement there, though they may use another move action if they have one available to continue moving past you.

Roll Low For This One
I can never remember, do I use 3d6 or 1d20 for this roll, and which one's a critical failure?
Once per encounter, when you make a d20 roll and roll a 10 or lower, you may "flip" the die roll: a roll of a natural 1 is treated as rolling a natural 20, a roll of a natural 2 is treated as rolling a natural 19, and so forth.

Percentile Strength
...15, 16, 17, 18, 18/01, 18/02, 18/03...
You gain an enhancement bonus to your Strength score equal to your fighter level.

Whaddya Mean "Touch AC"?
What, one kind of armor class isn't good enough for you?
Your touch armor class and flat-footed armor class are always equal to your normal class if it is higher

Crit Happens
Plain ol' double damage on a 20, no ifs, ands, or buts, always worked fine for my group.
You no longer need to confirm critical hits; any critical threat is automatically a critical hit. Additionally, when wielding a weapon from a group in which you have weapon specialization, your critical threat range and critical multiplier are increased by 1.

Name Level
Rank hath its privileges!
You gain Leadership and Landlord as bonus feats. The followers and cohort gained from your Leadership feat are all single-classed fighters of your own race (or a LA +0 race of your choice if they would have too low an ECL to be of your race). The keep gained through your Landlord feat appears instantly upon gaining the feat in any area you desire as long as you have the permisison of the local governing body to place a keep there and as long as you've cleared out any notable dangerous monsters within a 20-mile radius of the site, complete with a staff of 10 level 2 experts who serve as your butler, maid, etc. Additionally, each month, seven silver pieces per sapient being who lives in a 50 mile radius of your keep appear in a strongbox inside your keep that only you may open.

Hit Point Deflation
Hold on, just when did the monsters suddenly get Constitution scores!? And isn't "death at -10" just a houserule?
Whenever you attack an enemy and reduce its hit points below its Constitution bonus times its level or hit dice, it must make a Fort save (DC 10 + 1/2 level + Str) or instantly be reduced to -1 hit points.

Additionally, if your attack reduces a character to -1 hit points or lower through normal damage (not by use of this class feature), they automatically die regardless of their normal negative hit point limit or any effects such as Diehard or delay death that would keep them alive and/or conscious at their current negative hit point total.

DM Pity Artifact
Nah, that's not a +5 vorpal sword...that's a +5 vorpal sword!
Choose one weapon or or suit of armor you possess. It instantly gains a number of "plusses" of special abilities equal to 1/3 your fighter level, and you may add additional enchantments to it as if you possessed the Craft Magic Arms and Armor feat and any prerequisites necessary to do so.

Anything You Can Imagine
Why should I have to take that feat? In my old group our DM would just let us do that....
Once per round as a free action, you may choose any one fighter bonus feat and gain the benefits of that feat for 1 round. You do not need to meet any feat prerequisites of the feat chosen; instead, if the feat has any prerequisite feats you gain those for 1 round as well.

Armor Class Isn't Obsolete
AC -10? Now that's bounded accuracy!
While wearing armor or using a shield, you benefit from a miss chance equal to 5% per point of base AC bonus granted by the armor and/or shield (not including any enhancement bonuses or other improvements to the base AC bonus).

I Hate Logarithmic Growth
The wizard and cleric get to keep gaining new toys, why can't I!?
Starting at level 11, whenever you gain hit points due to gaining a level, you receive the minimum result on your hit die instead of rolling, because life isn't fair.

Mage Slayer
Concentrate on this, squishy wizard!
You gain Mage Slayer, Pierce Magical Protection, and Pierce Magical Concealment as bonus feats; if you already possess one or more of those feats, you may choose other feats in their place, though you must still meet any prerequisites of those feats.

Additionally, if you successfully hit a creature and deal at least 1 point of damage while they are casting a spell or activating a spell-like ability, they may not make a Concentration check and the spell or spell-like ability use is lost.

Roleplaying Not Rollplaying
I search the door, the door hinges, the doorknob, the lintel, the keyhole, the door knocker....
Once per encounter, you may choose to automatically succeed on a skill or ability check as long as you describe the actions you take well enough and in sufficient detail; the DM is encouraged to accept good-faith attempts.

Gygaxian Naturalist
If you thought that critter was weird, trust me, you ain't seen nothin'. Let me tell you about flumphs....
Whenever you would be forced to make a skill check to identify something (a Knowledge check to identify a monster, a Spellcraft check to identify a spell, a Martial Lore check to identify a maneuver, etc.) you may instead roll a special fighter level check, 1d20 + fighter level + Str, to identify the thing in question.

Wild Talent (Ps)
Well, at least we're not using the Complete Psionics Handbook....
You gain the following psi-like abilities, usable once per day each: psionic blast, mind thrust, ego whip, id insinuation, psychic crush, empty mind, thought shield, mental barrier, intellect fortress, and tower of iron will.

Exponential XP Tables
Well, I could either gain one more fighter level...or I could abuse the dual-classing rules to become a level 10 thief in the same time...hmm....
Choose a base class from the Player's Handbook, aside from fighter or barbarian, for which you possess at least a 17 in its prime requisite: Dex for rogue or ranger, Int for wizard, Wis for cleric, druid, or monk, and Cha for bard, paladin, or sorcerer. You gain the class features of a member of that class four levels lower than your fighter level.

Player's Options
So if I swap out those nonweapon proficiency slots, then stack Weapon Specialization a few times, tweak the hit die size a bit....
Increase your fighter hit die to d12 and increase your skill points to 8+Int per level; this increase applies retroactively, handled however the DM prefers. Additionally, you immediately gain 2 flaws, 2 traits, and 3 bonus feats of your choice.

Godslayer
Bah, before all this "Epic Level" nonsense came around, we used to take out gods at level 15, and they were pushovers!
You ignore all deific powers used against you by deities with a divine rank less than your fighter level: you cannot be targeted by a divine blast, you do not register on portfolio sense, greater deities must actually roll d20 rolls against you, your own abilities ignore immunities granted by divine rank, your attacks ignore natural armor and deflection bonuses to AC granted by divine rank, etc.

DM's Favorite Character
Hey, if it worked for Robilar....
Choose a number of feats equal to your highest mental ability modifier. They are renamed to be "[your name]'s [feat]" (such as "Robilar's Gambit," "Yrag's Power Attack," or "Felnorith's Two-Weapon Fighting") and for the duration of the campaign and any later campaigns set in the same world, no character can ever use it or any other feats with that feat as a prerequisite against you or your allies, nor can they learn it by illegitimate means (i.e. the heroics spell, Shun the Dark Chaos, psychic reformation, etc.).

Immortal
There's no "I" in "team"...but there's one in "BECMI"!
You become a divine rank 1 deity with the Irresistable Blows salient divine ability, the portfolio elements of "fighters" and "victory", and the domains of Strength, War, and Competition.

No One Plays To Level 20 Anyway
Seriously, guys, it takes like two *years* to get enough XP to level again at this point! Let's just jump ahead and have some fun!
You immediately gain the benefits of advancing to 20th level as a fighter (hit dice, base attack and save bonuses, level-based stat boosts and feats, etc.) and are treated as having an effective level of 20, but you stop gaining XP and your DM and fellow players are entitled to complain about how much they hate high-level play and how long it's taking the other characters to level.

Seerow
2013-03-17, 07:21 PM
This is amazing. Probably my favorite fighter fix on these forums.

The best part is, despite the obviously satiric nature of the class, it honestly looks like it would work as a fix for a high powered campaign with a couple of tweaks (mostly playability issue ones, like the Armor Tables ability).

Kane0
2013-03-17, 07:45 PM
Well done PoD, you made me chuckle at my desk and have to explain to my co-workers why :smallamused:

Waker
2013-03-17, 08:09 PM
Good work, I'm gonna roll a Fighter for the next game I play.
Every bit of flavor text read reminded me of the old dirt farmer from OOTS.

Allnightmask
2013-03-17, 09:57 PM
This is beautiful. Should of specced a Bard.

anacalgion
2013-03-17, 10:38 PM
This is awesome, but I've got one quick question. If I Hate Logrithmic Growth gives them minimum hit points at every level, then why does Player's Options give them a D12? Shouldn't that not matter, or am I misreading it?

PairO'Dice Lost
2013-03-17, 11:20 PM
This is amazing. Probably my favorite fighter fix on these forums.

Well done PoD, you made me chuckle at my desk and have to explain to my co-workers why :smallamused:

Good work, I'm gonna roll a Fighter for the next game I play.
Every bit of flavor text read reminded me of the old dirt farmer from OOTS.

This is beautiful.

I aim to please. :smallcool:

The best part is, despite the obviously satiric nature of the class, it honestly looks like it would work as a fix for a high powered campaign with a couple of tweaks (mostly playability issue ones, like the Armor Tables ability).

Yeah, that was made intentionally clunky, to replicate the feeling of looking up weapon/armor pairs on the tables mid-combat. :smallamused: If someone were going to use this in an actual game, I'd replace it with something like this:

Weapon vs. Armor Tables: You gain DR X, where X is equal to 1/2 fighter level. At the beginning of combat, you choose whether this DR will be X/bludgeoning, X/slashing, or X/piercing based on the type of armor worn and the stance and posture you take, and it remains set for the rest of combat.

This is awesome, but I've got one quick question. If I Hate Logrithmic Growth gives them minimum hit points at every level, then why does Player's Options give them a D12? Shouldn't that not matter, or am I misreading it?

That conflict was intentional; I Hate Logarithmic Growth is there purely to screw over the fighter, because in AD&D they literally got nothing besides +1 BAB, +1 saves, and 1 HP per level after level 10. As with Weapon vs. Armor Tables, in an actual game that ability would be removed or replaced.

Gnorman
2013-03-18, 12:19 AM
Every single noun and verb in this fix totally arouses me.

I mean... interests me. Interests.

wayfare
2013-03-18, 01:34 AM
Yup! Thats what that was like :)

You gotta do a Bard or Chevalier one. Come on, who has "I'm a jerk with a horse" as a freaken class feature! :)

inuyasha
2013-03-18, 08:19 AM
wow this is awesome, and FyI ye need to do a bard PrC (because you need fighter and thief levels to bardify your bardy bard needs :smallwink:)

PairO'Dice Lost
2013-03-18, 12:08 PM
Every single noun and verb in this fix totally arouses me.

I mean... interests me. Interests.

Your, er, enthusiasm is encouraging. :smallwink:

Yup! Thats what that was like :)

You gotta do a Bard or Chevalier one. Come on, who has "I'm a jerk with a horse" as a freaken class feature! :)

wow this is awesome, and FyI ye need to do a bard PrC (because you need fighter and thief levels to bardify your bardy bard needs :smallwink:)

Hmm...a thief, a druid, and a bard might be a good idea. I'll see what I can do.

Amechra
2013-03-18, 12:11 PM
A Barbarian wouldn't be remiss, either.

This really does bring back memories of a simpler time...