PDA

View Full Version : Stop me if you've heard this Feat before...

Trobby
2006-11-15, 03:07 PM
Improvised Weapon Proficiency

Flavor Text: Your combat experience has given you insight on how to better utilize improvised weapons against your enemies.

Prerequisites:
Improved Unarmed Strike, Base Attack Bonus +1
Benefit: Your penalties on attack rolls for fighting with an improvised
weapon are lessened by 2.
Normal: Without this feat, the penalty for using an improvised weapon is
-4. This feat reduces the penalty to -2.
Special: A fighter may select Improvised Weapon Proficiency as one of
his fighter bonus feats.

For the fighter who never wants to be caught unarmed in a fight. (Of course, you still need SOMEthing to fight with...)

Khantalas
2006-11-15, 03:40 PM
It reminds me of a class feature of my homebrew class, Spy. Although a spy could lessen all kind of improvisation penalties, not just improvised weapons. Also, spy had no balance whatsoever.

Trobby
2006-11-15, 03:49 PM
I thought about reducing the requirements or increasing the benefit of this feat, but then I might've broken it, so I left it as-is.

flawed.Perfection
2006-11-15, 05:46 PM
First off, I'm not sure Improved Unarmed Strike is a fitting prerequisite; If you can deliver fatal blows with your fists, why pick up a bottle?

Also, have it completely negate the -4. With the meagre improvised weapon damage, the -2 isn't much help. An improvised weapon isn't that good, but if you invest a feat in it, you may as well get some benefit out of it...;)

Think it was a class feature from either an advanced class of d20 Modern or maybe that Drunken Master from Sword & Fist? Can't remember clearly...

Khantalas
2006-11-15, 05:48 PM
Think it was a class feature from either an advanced class of d20 Modern or maybe that Drunken Master from Sword & Fist? Can't remember clearly...

Drunken Master in S&F had a subpar version of it. CW version was better (and possibly unbalanced): It let you add your unarmed damage to the improvised weapon's damage (which got better at later levels).

Trobby
2006-11-15, 06:35 PM
First off, I'm not sure Improved Unarmed Strike is a fitting prerequisite; If you can deliver fatal blows with your fists, why pick up a bottle?

Also, have it completely negate the -4. With the meagre improvised weapon damage, the -2 isn't much help. An improvised weapon isn't that good, but if you invest a feat in it, you may as well get some benefit out of it...;)

The reason for using a weapon instead of your fist is the damage potential for an improvised weapon, which takes it's dX from a weapon of similar build. Your average joe would rather use a bottle in battle than his own fists because he could break the bottle against a counter and say "Hey look, I found myself a dagger!", which can be quite helpful if, say, you've got weapon focus in a certain type of weapon, can't find one, but have a reasonable proxy at hand.

You may still be right about that though...I'll consider making it an int requirement, or a different feat instead.

The reason it's a -2 instead of completely negating the penalty is to mitigate the power of the feat. After all, no matter how good you are with improvising a weapon, you just can't beat a real dagger or a quaterstaff with a broken bottle or a big stick.