PDA

View Full Version : How can I get +33 to UMD?

Burpcycle
2013-03-18, 01:45 AM
I am a Wizard 2/Binder 1/Anima Mage 10/Fatespinner 1. I have a bard scroll with a CL of 14. I need to use this scroll. I have put one point in UMD for the sole purpose of using this scroll, so yes, it is already trained. I have only 10 charisma, so I have an effective skill check of +1.

I do not have any useful spells for increasing skill checks, but I do have access to a level 14 druid and an NPC level 17 cleric. I know of no spells they have to grant that much +skill, but I bet something exists. Can anyone help me out here?

TaiLiu
2013-03-18, 01:51 AM
There's a nice Cleric spell that grants +20 to a single skill check; that's a start. (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/sb/sb20010504a)

Zaq
2013-03-18, 02:08 AM
Do you, specifically, have to use the scroll, or is it simply that the scroll must be used? If it's the latter, I'm sure the Cleric can summon or (worst case scenario) Gate in something that'll do the trick.

If it has to be you specifically, well, there's always Miracle to mimic Psionic Reformation, letting you shuffle your skill points around and put a ton into UMD.

Can you find some lower-level NPCs to help you, do you think? A Bard for Inspire Competence, a Marshal for Motivate Charisma, a Truenamer for Universal Aptitude, and so on?

Seer_of_Heart
2013-03-18, 02:11 AM
Can the cleric use a miracle to duplicate psionic reformation so you can put more ranks into UMD? When you're done just get another psionic reformation.

Curmudgeon
2013-03-18, 02:20 AM
I am a Wizard 2/Binder 1/Anima Mage 10/Fatespinner 1. I have a bard scroll with a CL of 14. I need to use this scroll. I have put one point in UMD for the sole purpose of using this scroll, so yes, it is already trained.
Sorry, you're still untrained in Use Magic Device.
Trained Only

If this notation is included in the skill name line, you must have at least 1 rank in the skill to use it.
You must put in at least two points (since none of your classes have UMD as a class skill) before you reach trained status.

Burpcycle
2013-03-18, 02:21 AM
Do you, specifically, have to use the scroll, or is it simply that the scroll must be used? If it's the latter, I'm sure the Cleric can summon or (worst case scenario) Gate in something that'll do the trick.

If it has to be you specifically, well, there's always Miracle to mimic Psionic Reformation, letting you shuffle your skill points around and put a ton into UMD.

Can you find some lower-level NPCs to help you, do you think? A Bard for Inspire Competence, a Marshal for Motivate Charisma, a Truenamer for Universal Aptitude, and so on?

I'm not sure I can convince the cleric to use miracle to help me, but it's an option, thank you. As for the low level NPC idea, it's possible, but I'm hoping for a quicker solution than hiring a bunch of people to help.

Alleran
2013-03-18, 02:22 AM
There's a nice Cleric spell that grants +20 to a single skill check; that's a start. (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/sb/sb20010504a)
You can also use Loresong coupled with various CHA-boosting items and spells.

Nightgaun7
2013-03-18, 02:27 AM
Sorry, you're still untrained in Use Magic Device.
You must put in at least two points (since none of your classes have UMD as a class skill) before you reach trained status.

It would be reasonable to assume he has 1 rank in UMD and simply referred to it as a point, as many other people do

avr
2013-03-18, 02:44 AM
Does it need to be you personally? I.e. if you know no bards who you could trust, would Dominate Person on a bard be acceptable?

Away from books, but I think there's a vestige who could assist. Karsus?

If there's anyone else with UMD (unlikely if they're asking you to do it with 10 CHA/1 rank I guess) they might be able to Aid Another for a +2.

Eagle's Splendour is +4 CHA for another +2. Heroism (which you might be able to cast yourself) is a +2 morale bonus.

SowZ
2013-03-18, 03:05 AM
Divine Insight and Improvisation are go to spells that provide skill bonus that stack with competence bonus.

Zaq
2013-03-18, 04:09 AM
If there's anyone else with UMD (unlikely if they're asking you to do it with 10 CHA/1 rank I guess) they might be able to Aid Another for a +2.

Aid Another is specifically banned from UMD. Which makes some examples in Complete Adventurer really silly, of course, but whatcha gonna do.