PDA

View Full Version : What La would you rate a URDUNNIR Dwarf?

RedDragons
2013-03-18, 09:53 AM
This is from the mosnters of faerun book , and were not given stats or updated in 3.5 booklet.

The usual dwarf stuff on top of

+4 poison and can use Stone Shape and Metal Shape at will

Feytalist
2013-03-18, 09:57 AM
Races of Faerun says LA +4.

Sounds about right, if you include their stone walk ability.

icefractal
2013-03-18, 01:10 PM
+4 seems way too high, personally. Stone Shape is a 3rd level Druid spell, as is Meld into Stone, so at 5th level you could either:

A) Be one of these dwarves and do it at will, with 1 HD and no other abilities that would be good against 5th level challenges.

B) Be a Druid, only get to cast those spells a few times a day, but have like a dozen other spells, Wild Shape, an animal companion, enough HP not to die from a CR 5 creature breathing on you, and can actually contribute to things other than improvised sculpture.

And that's the best case for the LA. The higher level you go, the worse it stacks up, because those abilities are worth proportionately less. Unlimited Stone Shape is not even a fraction of the difference between getting 7th level and 9th level spells.

So IMO - at low level, +2 LA would make sense. It still becomes less relevant at high level. My preference would be to either automatically reduce it at a certain point, or have the abilities upgrade.

Or alternately, make it LA +0 with weaker versions of the abilities, and have a feat you can take to upgrade them once you hit a high enough level.

nedz
2013-03-18, 01:27 PM
+4 LA does look too high, these aren't OP abilities.

I think I'd do something like +1 LA and have the SLAs come on-line at 4th and 8th, say.

Chaosvii7
2013-03-18, 01:29 PM
And that's the best case for the LA. The higher level you go, the worse it stacks up, because those abilities are worth proportionately less. Unlimited Stone Shape is not even a fraction of the difference between getting 7th level and 9th level spells.

Which is where the racial HD come in - a +2 with 2 Racial HD would be a good alternative, but I feel as though you're looking to play over DM.

darklink_shadow
2013-03-18, 01:36 PM
If it is a 3.0 book and has not bee updated into 3.5, the current version is the valid version. That aside, +1 LA +2 RHD with d10s, 4+int skill points... seems fair. I havemt ply tested it obv, but what I wrote feels right.