PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Is there a class that facilitates this build idea? (Bard arch?)

johnroth
2013-03-18, 11:39 AM
For the lulz, I'm thinking about creating a Goat Herder Bard character. Maybe his companion is a goat swarm or he is a similar to a "pied piper" for goats. Bard seems like the natural class to use, but are there any archetypes that would facilitate this? If there's another class that would work better I'm open to any suggestions. I'm not exactly sure where to start here. I just think it would be a funny idea and would be a lot of fun to play.

Thanks for the help!

Reverent-One
2013-03-18, 11:48 AM
For the lulz, I'm thinking about creating a Goat Herder Bard character. Maybe his companion is a goat swarm or he is a similar to a "pied piper" for goats. Bard seems like the natural class to use, but are there any archetypes that would facilitate this? If there's another class that would work better I'm open to any suggestions. I'm not exactly sure where to start here. I just think it would be a funny idea and would be a lot of fun to play.

Thanks for the help!

The Pack Lord Druid (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/druid/archetypes/paizo---druid-archetypes/pack-lord) may be what you're looking for. It basically allows you to get multiple animal companions by splitting up the animal companion levels between them. Though you run into the issue that there is no Goat animal companion. That said, it's not an unreasonable creature for a companion, your DM may make up animal companion stats for one or let you refluff an existing animal companion.

johnroth
2013-03-18, 12:05 PM
The Pack Lord Druid (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/druid/archetypes/paizo---druid-archetypes/pack-lord) may be what you're looking for. It basically allows you to get multiple animal companions by splitting up the animal companion levels between them. Though you run into the issue that there is no Goat animal companion. That said, it's not an unreasonable creature for a companion, your DM may make up animal companion stats for one or let you refluff an existing animal companion.

That's a great suggestion, thank you! It's pretty easy to re-fluff an already existing companion, I've already done it before to turn a rat into a squirrel or chipmunk.

It looks like this though I'd have to split the levels between the companions. It doesn't look like there's any penalty for loosing them though. I know it wouldn't be very effective to have ten level one goats running around (At level ten as an example), but it would be quite silly. I'm going to have to keep this in mind if I ever get a chance to join a more light hearted campaign.

Reverent-One
2013-03-18, 12:18 PM
From an effectiveness standpoint, the Boon Companion (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/boon-companion) feat comes in handy. Each time you take it, you can give a different animal companion/familiar the bonuses of being 4 levels higher (to a maximum of your character level). So in your level 10 druid example, if the druid took boon companion for every feat, you could have 5 level 5 goats, and 5 level 1s (or 6 level 5s if you're a human).

johnroth
2013-03-18, 12:28 PM
From an effectiveness standpoint, the Boon Companion (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/boon-companion) feat comes in handy. Each time you take it, you can give a different animal companion/familiar the bonuses of being 4 levels higher (to a maximum of your character level). So in your level 10 druid example, if the druid took boon companion for every feat, you could have 5 level 5 goats, and 5 level 1s (or 6 level 5s if you're a human).

Awesome. I'm doing this. And when he get's wild shape he'll turn into a goat himself. Now if there was just a way that I could get a permanented demi-plane that I could fill with goats so that I could constantly refill my lost supply as they die...

EDIT: I'm not sure I could take Boon Companion twice at first level, since I'd only have one companion to apply it too. It would work for every other level though.

DOUBLE EDIT: Also, how would you go about asigning levels to a replacement for a lost companion. The rules in the Pack Lord arch just state that you can assign them the next time you prepare spells, while the original Nature's Bond state it takes a 24 hour period to get the new companion to become a part of your team... So it's kind of unclear about what the mechanics would be. Could I just aquire another goat to replace one the next time my character prepares his spells, or do I have to go through the 24 hour ceremony for each needed new goat?

kestrel404
2013-03-18, 12:54 PM
Awesome. I'm doing this. And when he get's wild shape he'll turn into a goat himself. Now if there was just a way that I could get a permanented demi-plane that I could fill with goats so that I could constantly refill my lost supply as they die...

Note that the Pack Lord druid never gets wildshape, it's the second thing that's traded away with their ACF.

However, what you could do if your GM is feeling generous -
Play the bard. Take Skill Focus (Know Nature) - note that half-elves make good bards, and get a skill focus of their choice as a bonus feat. This is the pre-requisite for Eldritch Heritage (Sylvan), which gets you an animal companion at your character level -5. Generally, I apply Boon Companion to bring this up to char level -1, but see about trading your animal companion for a Pack as specified by the ACF. You'll then have to wait for 6th level to get a 2nd animal companion, etc. But you can apply Boon Companion to each one you get (probably go for 1 per 2 levels after 6th, and have each one be a 5th level animal companions. Go with a base of the Ram (which is close enough to a Goat).

Downside? Fewer, lower level companions.
Upside? Bard, lets you buff the whole flock.

Either way, it's a hilarious concept. Go for it!

johnroth
2013-03-18, 01:16 PM
Note that the Pack Lord druid never gets wildshape, it's the second thing that's traded away with their ACF.

Druid's get Wild Shape at level four, and Improved Empathic Link is just replacing the additional use gained at level 6.

I like you're idea though. I think I would use this if I had to build a character starting at a higher level, but the druid build if starting at level 1.

EDIT: Because, you know, more goats faster. MORE GOATS!

darklink_shadow
2013-03-18, 01:44 PM
You can technically just buy goats trained for war too. I think human rangers can be hound masters? Ask DM to exchange dogs for rams. Just another option. Maybe.

johnroth
2013-03-18, 02:05 PM
You can technically just buy goats trained for war too. I think human rangers can be hound masters? Ask DM to exchange dogs for rams. Just another option. Maybe.

That's an interesting class, but it looks like at most you're just getting two goats. I'm not sure if two classify as a herd.

Hendel
2013-03-18, 02:14 PM

You just give up the 6th level use of Wild Shape, not the entire ability. I just wanted to make sure that was clear.

Baroncognito
2013-03-18, 02:16 PM
I'd go with Animal Speaker (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/bard/archetypes/paizo---bard-archetypes/animal-speaker) and get the DM to refluff the rat swarm as fainting goats.

I'd then also pick up Eldritch Heritage to get a goat as either an animal companion or as a familiar.

navar100
2013-03-18, 02:18 PM
As a Summoner you can make your Eidolon look like a goat. Using the Broodmaster archetype you can have lots of little goats.

darklink_shadow
2013-03-18, 02:20 PM
That's an interesting class, but it looks like at most you're just getting two goats. I'm not sure if two classify as a herd.

If you use more than two your DM will slap you for taking g half an hour per round. You really don't need 10 goats.

johnroth
2013-03-18, 02:34 PM
If you use more than two your DM will slap you for taking g half an hour per round. You really don't need 10 goats.

Looks like someone's not thinking with goats. Besides, if your DM is worried about the volume of goats, you could just reduce your horde size to strengthen fewer goats. You'd be a traveling petting zoo. You could eat the villain's house. And clothes. And canned food labels.

darklink_shadow
2013-03-18, 02:43 PM
If you want a travelling petting zoo, I've done that. Well it was a circus but it had a petting zoo. Bit seriously, in combat, 2 is enough. Anymore and you will slow the game down more than your favor share. If you want out of combat goats, buy some!

johnroth
2013-03-18, 02:57 PM
If you want a travelling petting zoo, I've done that. Well it was a circus but it had a petting zoo. Bit seriously, in combat, 2 is enough. Anymore and you will slow the game down more than your favor share. If you want out of combat goats, buy some!

What if I just want to have light hearted fun with goats? You can't stack two goats onto of each other to form a pyramid. You can't have two goats swarm a mage's robes to eat the clothes off their back. You can't travel in disguise as a goat in a goat herd and look like an inconspicuous goat herd with just two goats.

I understand what you're saying Darklink. But I will not be deterred.

Baroncognito
2013-03-18, 03:17 PM
What if I just want to have light hearted fun with goats? You can't stack two goats onto of each other to form a pyramid. You can't have two goats swarm a mage's robes to eat the clothes off their back. You can't travel in disguise as a goat in a goat herd and look like an inconspicuous goat herd with just two goats.

I still say that you should just re-fluff rat swarm as herd of fainting goats.

johnroth
2013-03-18, 03:29 PM
I still say that you should just re-fluff rat swarm as herd of fainting goats.

Hah, yeah I know. That would work. But I'm still pleasantly surprised that there's actually a legitimate way to just have lots of goat companions. I'd use this as a back up if my DM was too concerned with having lots of goats.

navar100
2013-03-18, 05:28 PM

Yeah, that would really get the DM's goat!

darklink_shadow
2013-03-18, 05:50 PM

All of those things do not require anything more than buying a bunch of goats, possibly combat trained. In which case, you don't need a class, you need money.

For actual mechanically useful goats, you will want about 2. Then fill your ranks with purchased goats, and don't let them actually fight.

Baroncognito
2013-03-18, 06:05 PM
Or:

Make a Rogue (Carnivalist) (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/rogue/archetypes/paizo---rogue-archetypes/carnivalist)

This will get you a goat familiar that does tricks and has sneak attack.

Then take Eldritch Heritage: Sylvan. This gets you an animal companion at character level -5. Taking Boon Companion will make it character level -1.