PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]Legacy of Fire: race help

OutlawJT
2013-03-18, 01:52 PM
Our group is about to start Legacy of Fire on Saturday. I've settled on playing a Dragonfire Adept but am still up in the air over what race to go with. I've narrowed it down to Bhuka or Monrelfolk. Both present interesting roleplay options and both can easily be molded to fit my vision of the character's past and future development.

The Bhuka would have much more balanced stats and slightly more flexibility in the order in which I choose my invocations (both builds will be seeing extensive use of the extra invocation feat for utility). It'd be slightly easier to play him as the jack of all, master of none I envision.

The Mongrelfolk would allow for an insane breath weapon DC out of the gate. More focus on breath, less on skill versatility. Of course, there's only one breath oriented feat I can take that's any good (entangling exhalation) cleared by the GM. Wouldn't be as socially capable (or able to effectively use invocations that require a save) but breath weapon would always have a high save for my level.

So, what are your thoughts? Is that high save DC (and high fort/hp) on my primary tool worth the sacrifice of some flexibility and social grace and maybe one (two at most) invocation choices?

darklink_shadow
2013-03-18, 02:00 PM
I personally hate to have low CHA for those moments when you really want to say something, and not come off as a deranged half-wit. But that aside, flexibility makes you useful more often, and being a one trick pony gets very boring after less time than you might think.

Plus the Bh...u... whatever fits your character concept better according to you.

I say this 100% ignorant of the race who isn't a mutt, however.

OutlawJT
2013-03-18, 02:11 PM
Bhuka is a desert themed goblinoid, very communal/tribal and by comparison to all other goblinoids docile (though mine wouldn't be). As for the Cha issue, the Bhuka's would be 15 and the Mongrelfolk's would be 11 starting out based on the stat array I have to work with. Also, the breath weapon is far from a one trick pony. You get a variety of different things you can do with it and you can buy potions to make it do even more. Eventually I'll be able to do any kind of energy damage, cause any kind of status condition, perform multiple debuffs, all with just the breath weapon. Not all at the same time, of course, but all using the same save DC.

darklink_shadow
2013-03-18, 02:18 PM
Further study...

Mongrel folk sounds more fun roleplay wise anyways. I completely tale the opposite stance. Breathe on everything. You'll have plenty of incantations anyways.

Greenish
2013-03-18, 02:22 PM
Bhuka are cool. I forget what their stats are like, but they wear feathered cloaks and have dire jackrabbit animal companions and didn't have the random LA pump that often afflicts goblinoids.

The breath effects and the like are cool, but at some point "I breathe on them" gets monotonous.

OutlawJT
2013-03-18, 02:40 PM
Bhuka are cool. I forget what their stats are like, but they wear feathered cloaks and have dire jackrabbit animal companions and didn't have the random LA pump that often afflicts goblinoids.

The breath effects and the like are cool, but at some point "I breathe on them" gets monotonous.

+2 Dex, -2 Str I believe for Bhuka while Mongrelfolk is +4 Con, -2 Int, -4 Cha.

Also, in combat 'I breathe on them' is going to be my standard regardless of which race I choose. Mongrelfolk would basically be better in combat (potentially minus 1-2 optional invocations which require saves) while Bhuka would be better out of combat.

OutlawJT
2013-03-19, 05:06 AM
bump

Any more insights?

RedDragons
2013-03-19, 10:49 AM
Better out of combat , I think is what you are going to want in this.

Mongeralfolk, just does not lend the same flavor for this sort of build, or options.

Buhka gives you an entire book full of culture for you to create on, mongeralfolk are just an excerpt.