PDA

View Full Version : Into the Dark IC

Ghost49X
2013-03-18, 03:59 PM
Rumors of strange happenings outside in the countryside are on the minds of the locals. Until recently the city was safe from said occurrences but a report came in yesterday, a family disappeared and a witness said he saw something dragging a small body into the sewers. The council are worried that what is happening outside has gotten into city and may be living in the sewers. Their plan to cope with this is to hire adventurers. Due to the occurrences outside the city most adventuring groups have already left to investigate yet none has returned. With this the council has put an ad in all taverns and inns, common places to find adventurers. The ad reads as follows:Hear ye all, the city council seeks brave souls to further investigate the rumors of strange disappearances. Those who wish to apply, present yourselves at the Golden Apple inn on the morrow.

shugyosha
2013-03-18, 04:58 PM
Jion

Jion enters the Golden Apple with puffs of dust rising from his clothes. It had been a long trek but from his notes he thought he was getting closer. He checked his pockets and his coin purse felt light. He'd have to find a way to make some small coin before heading out. Fresh rations and other supplies were needed.

He sauntered up to the bar keep and ordered a tankard. With his lips wet with ale he asks, "I hear the city council is looking for people... know if it pays?"

Bladehunter217
2013-03-18, 05:56 PM
Cal makes his way to the Golden Apple as early as he can, hoping that there are enough interested adventurers that his arriving early will make a difference and not be wasted.

Hamste
2013-03-18, 07:22 PM
Thog

A city like this one would be perfect to make some money or at least find a way to make some money. Thog decided that the best way to get a job would be to go to head to an inn and check to see if there were any odd jobs or adventuring jobs. In the very least it would give him a chance to work for a place to sleep. On the bright side the clerics at least equipped him well for his new life. He briefly wondered why they gave him so much... maybe they felt some responsibility to him but it didn't matter much any ways. He chose out the Golden Apple, it sounded as good of an omen as any other. He entered the Golden Apple and his eyes were immediately drawn to the sign mentioning the need of brave adventurers. Either by good fortune or by godly influence, there happened to be a meeting about it the very morrow. It was worth a look at and at the very worst he could simply not apply.

Hello, good Barkeep. I couldn't help but notice your bar's name on the ads. With the increase in business, that is sure to come from all this advertisement, surely you shall need help for preparations or added security for the rowdy adventurers that will come from this. Can you help a poorly travelling cleric out and let me work here in exchange for a nice meal, a place to sleep and maybe a few coins. If you have some ills I can even heal you or a loved one who suffers from small wounds. Thog said with his most charismatic smile. He couldn't help and eyed the cash box but he quickly put it out of his mind. There was no way he could get at it without being noticed.

JennTora
2013-03-19, 05:03 PM
Silia had walked in the city ready to kill her betrayer, she didn't know how long she had been hanging by her, (in truth it hadn't been that long), but it seemed forever to her. She calmed down a bit, however, when she saw the advertisement. After all, if people were disappearing, there might be a pretty big reward involved. She headed to the mentioned tavern, her previous problems forgotten but not forgiven. She mentally smacked herself for a second, reminding herself she had to watch her allies more carefully this time around. Entering the golden apple she approached the bartender, who had just been asked about the same job by a human in leather armor and a half-orc.

"yeah, I too was wondering if the pay is good," She said simply while absentmindedly playing with her hair, then Placing a gold coin on the table added "Some Ale and food would be nice, also."

Ghost49X
2013-04-13, 03:10 PM
@Jion
The Barkeep gives him a dillusioned look "Well the city coffers aren't as filled as they used to, with all them adventurers they've been hiring lately but they do have a few minor magical items that they've been using to goad anyone foolish enough to take their work. Being retired from all that I can say that it compensates for the meager pay and you can always sell 'em if you want a coin reward."

@Thog
"Cleric eh? So what god do you serve?" the Barkeep bites his lip as he considers the offer "Well we're pretty Healthy considering the situation. However I'll give you a free room if you'll put in a word with your patron for us. Food though is scarce so you'd have to pay for that."

@Cal
When call enters the inn, he surprised to see it lacking in the crowd he'd expect. Only 3 tables are filled and even then, looking at the those assembled judging by the quality of their equipment he has serious doubt about their efficiency in a fight. A man in peasants clothing with a rusty axe, a large man with a pitchfork, a lady who seems to have trouble concentrating on a prestidigitation cantrip. There are however a few that look confident enough to risk traveling with.

@Silia
Snapping his attention from the idle chatter to his new costumer "Of course m'lady" giving her a short bow he swipes the coin away and ducks into the kitchen, then comes out with a bowl "Pork stir-fry is tonight's meal." setting it down in front of her and pours a pint of dark ale which he adds to the bowl on the counter "Like I was was telling our friend here; as far as the pay goes it's fairly meager but they do reward you with some magic trinkets.

shugyosha
2013-04-13, 03:59 PM
Jion

A concerned looked grew on Jion. "How many other adventurers went looking for this thing?"

Hamste
2013-04-14, 09:48 AM
"I believe in a god who has never been named to me. They came to me while I was out in the wilderness surviving and took me under his wing. They believe in protecting those under their wing and giving those that don't follow him a second chance at enlightenment after death. If you care to know more, I can discuss it with you after I drop off my equipment in the room. I shall pray for you but are you sure I cannot help work for my stay in here? I would feel guilty to take your kindness without giving you more than what I would have done anyways. Out of curiosity, do you happen to know why the city seems to be having trouble? I couldn't help but overhear that you mentioned that the city coffers are running low and you mentioned that food is scarce? Surely one problem would not be enough to cause so much trouble to this fine city?" Thog said. He hoped that he was the only cleric who was here so that he wouldn't have to get into a discussion with someone who actually knew a lot of religion.

Bladehunter217
2013-04-14, 09:58 AM
Cal heads to the woman having troubles with the cantrip, but keeps a close eye on the people who look promising. "Miss, you know too much concentration can ruin a spell, do you not? I'd suggest relaxing a little and starting over. Focus on what you want done, not in making it happen."

Ghost49X
2013-04-14, 01:38 PM
@Join
We used to be quite the nexus for adventuring due to ancient ruins in the region, but ever since the troubles started adventurers stopped coming back and those that remained were given a quest to investigate. When those didn't come back we waited for news and then eventually we started getting trouble inside the city so they're rounding up who they can to investigate. If I were to give an estimate of missing adventurers I'd say that about 40 or so have gone missing. Most traveled in groups of two to five members each and none of these were investigating the disappearances.

@Thog
I'm not a very religious man, but I'm quite happy giving small favours to divine servants in exchange for likewise small favours. Though it's strange that you don't know his name, I guess as long as it's not a banned religion I doubt you'll find trouble. But as far as helping, the best thing you could do for us right now would be to get to the bottom of what's happening. You have no idea how much business has gone down since all this started.

@Cal
The lady looks up at Cal from the candle and the flame that she was trying to control, startling her a bit. As she looses concentration, the flame from the candle jumps down onto the table and races towards Cal
Please make a reflex save throw DC 10, if you fail the flame causes your clothes to catch on fire, otherwise it dies out

Bladehunter217
2013-04-14, 02:20 PM
"What did I say about concentration?" Cal says, jumping back and patting his cloths quickly. "Miss, you should probably go home and work on that little parlor trick of yours. I mean no offence, but you have a little practice ahead of you before playing with fire in a public building, especially one that sells alcohol."

[roll0] I'll go ahead and add to what he says since he made the save.

-Successfully avoiding catching fire, Cal pulls out his lantern and snaps his fingers close to the wick, sending sparks at it. "Sometimes all you need is a spark." He offers with a smile.

Ghost49X
2013-04-14, 02:44 PM
@Cal
She gets up as tears well up in her eyes "Too much concentration, not enough concentration, will you please make up your mind?" she then runs out the building crying. The man with the rusty axe leans over "Thanks that was our magical back up. It took everything for me to convince her to come."

Bladehunter217
2013-04-14, 03:12 PM
"I apologize, but she would not have been much help to you, if you manage to get her back in here, I will apologize and tutor her a little, but as she is, she would not last very long. Unless of course, by magical backup, you mean bait." Cal took a step forward and opened his hands.

And he was trying to be helpful too.:smallbiggrin:

Ghost49X
2013-04-14, 03:59 PM
The man stands up, obviously not pleased at the turn of things "Unless you're willing to replace her, she's the best we have. Now if you'll excuse me I have to find her before she disappears." Taking a good look at the man and his compagnion, Cal gets the idea that their skills aren't too far from the girl's. Of the others in the inn a confident looking man wearing dusty clothes and a beautiful half-elf are pretty much the top of the talent assembled here, the bald half-orc talking about healing and some sort of religion also seem to be of reliable talent.

shugyosha
2013-04-14, 05:51 PM
Jion

"So who exactly gone missing and how long ago was that," he asked, a little worried that he might be out of his league but he still needed some coin.

Bladehunter217
2013-04-14, 09:11 PM
Cal heads to the bar and sits down. "Do you usually get people in here who barely know what they are doing? Its probably better that the leave, all that girl would be able to do is distract someone with an uncontrolled candle." Cal sighs and puts out the lantern that he had lit in demonstration. "Got any bread?" He asks, pulling out a coin-purse.

Ghost49X
2013-04-16, 12:10 AM
A man wearing a tall dark blue coat with a wide popped up collar and a tricorne hat steps into the inn. Almost as if on cue, the room falls to silence as he walks up to the bar. Taking a moment to size up the individuals with a long hard cold stare before taking off his hat and addressing those in the crowd.
"Hear me patriots, sell-swords and glory-seekers! The time is dire and with urgency I request your aid to avail us of the evil which assaults our very town. As you may have heard the troubles that plague the countryside have spread into our erstwhile safe town. Two days ago a family was abducted and dragged off into the night. Whomever ends this evil shall be rewarded. As it stands the reward is set to a hundred and fifty golden crowns each, aswell as a lesser enchanted item from the vault of our local Archmagister. Now for those of you who have inquiries make them known now or send notice to the council's scribe and address it to Patriarch Zans and I will advise as soon as convenient."
He looks around the room with a hopeful look.

shugyosha
2013-04-16, 12:27 AM
Jion

Jion stands up and says, "I'll search for the family... although I would like more information. Who were they and where did they live?"

Bladehunter217
2013-04-16, 08:34 AM
Cal claps slowly and walks closer to the man. "Well, that was a very nice speech given that you only had two days to prepare. I am Cal a wielder of lightning and magic, I am here to offer my services in rescuing that family. I too have a question, how many of them are there, it would be very embarrassing to return with parents and a daughter to find that they in fact also have a son."

Ghost49X
2013-04-20, 06:41 AM
With a wave of his hand Patriarch Zans calls for a seat and table. After a bench and small table are set he sits down and looks at Jion and Cal, with his elbows on the table and hands together he crouches forward "The missing family were comprosed of Jonas the baker and his wife Mira, their eldest son Tom, a lad of 15 and their youngest Lilia a quick and bright eyed young girl of 13 with fair hair. They lived on a side street in the south quarter, ask a guard if you require more directions."

Hamste
2013-04-20, 08:10 AM
Thog perks up at the mention of a goodly sum of gold. What interested him even more though was the mention of minor magic goods. Even the weakest enchanted item could bring a fair penny. Now all he had to do as to convince them to give the magic goods to them before they had to risk their lives and he would be all set. When you say minor how minor do you mean? Do you mean Dagger of Tickling Might minor or do you mean Sword of Defending minor? Also is there a possibility that we can get the magic items first? As a sort of advance which also makes it more likely that we succeed.

I will make a diplomacy check even if this has no way to make the check (just to make sure I don't insult him) [roll0]

Bladehunter217
2013-04-20, 10:29 AM
"Thats a good point, we could scare the children more if we don't call out to them in name. Alright I'll get moving shortly, talk to a guard eh? I can do that." Cal stretches and checks his coin-purse before heading to the exit.

Ghost49X
2013-04-21, 07:14 AM
The Golden Apple Inn
The Patriarch looks at Thog and frowns while thinking a bit "I'm not too sure what the geezer keeps in his vault nowadays, but I do remember him handing out wands and scrolls as well as your common run of the mill magic weapon a few months ago. He always offers a choice of items, so you know you'll find something that interests you. But as far as preemtive payment you're out of luck, if you don't suceed it's a lost investment and we've been having too many of those lately." He then nods when Cal mentions he's leaving and then asks again looking at the remaining crowd "any other questions?"

shugyosha
2013-04-29, 10:34 AM
Jion

He didn't think it was in good taste to ask about the reward and was relieved to have someone else do it. Instead he tried to look concerned and asked, "Where were the family last seen? And who reported them missing?"

JennTora
2013-04-29, 06:31 PM
Looking up from her near finished plate finally, Silia thought of a rather obvious question, she knew it was unlikely as the ad thingy said "rumors and strange disappearances" and not "people carried off by gargantuan monsters", but it would be nice to have some idea what they were dealing with if possible "Is there any possible lead on what took them? Did anyone at all see anything?"

Bladehunter217
2013-04-29, 06:40 PM
Cal stops at the door, glancing back to catch the last bits of conversation that would prove useful. He licked his lips and considered whether their questions were actually important.

Ghost49X
2013-05-12, 03:44 PM
Looking at Jion the primarch takes a deep breath "As for where they were last seen and who reported them, you'll have to ask the guards for those, they've been investigating since they were made aware. They'll know more about what they found than what I know myself." Looking up across the room at Sillia "about other leads I wouldn't speculate at this point but there have been a few wild theories. Of the two I remember hearing from, one was from a guard who said he'd heard it from a prisoner and the other from one of the healers at the temple. Though you'll have to hear it for yourself I wasn't impressed by the ravings of someone desperate to escape custody nor the rambling of religious zealots."

Bladehunter217
2013-05-12, 04:08 PM
"Even lies fed by desperation can have some truth hidden in them. Might I request a conversation with this prisoner? Also, the name of your zealot would be helpful."

Ghost49X
2013-05-12, 04:34 PM
"Hmm, for the prisoner you'll have to ask the guards but it shouldn't be a problem. For the zealot it's not so much a single person but more a theory I heard that was common place at the local temple, I recommend you go there and ask, they're usually happy to preach their stuff."

Hamste
2013-05-12, 04:41 PM
I can help with questioning the prisoner as well. What are they in for and how long is their sentence? Also be careful who you are saying are zealots. I happen to be a religious man, myself. To what deity is the temple to? I won't be able to question them myself though, I refuse to sully my deity or insult their deity by entering their temple. Thog said smiling. He repressed a shutter about the idea of going into another deity's temple. Clerics tended to ask awkward questions or cast spells to test to see if their ideas matched up with other’s and making a big stink when your ideas don’t match. Prisoners are so much easier to deal with, at least their motives tend to be clear and you never know what interesting information they might know.

Ghost49X
2013-05-12, 04:55 PM
Looking at Thog the patriarch shrugs "You'll have to talk to the guards about the prisoner but if I recall he's been convicted of murder. And as for zealots, I refer to those whom put religious doctrine ahead of common sense as zealots. I know a few religious types that don't fall into that mold but so far I haven't too many."

Bladehunter217
2013-05-12, 04:59 PM
Cal turned and walked out the door, heading for the temple. He slipped in and picked the most religious looking person he could find and walked straight up to them.

Ghost49X
2013-05-12, 05:32 PM
Cal had barely turned the first corner when he bumped into a bald monk with feminine features "Peace of the light be with you" bowing with her left hand held up in a prayer gesture while her other hand was tucked away into her robe. "How may we be of service to you?"

shugyosha
2013-05-12, 05:34 PM
Jion

Seeing that the meeting was breaking up, he decided to track down the lead the guards had. He headed for the guard house.

Hamste
2013-05-12, 06:08 PM
So which way is it to the dungeons where the prisoner is kept? Thog said. Once he got an answer he headed out towards the prisons to get himself in to question the prisoner. Hopefully that person was telling the truth about how easy it was to get in.

Ghost49X
2013-05-12, 06:59 PM
Jion and Thog
It starts to rain as Jion and Thog leave the inn, by the time they arrive at the barracks it is pouring. The door is open and inside sits a young officer behind a raised desk. He looks up from the scroll he was reading and watches the two as they come in. "Greetings gentlemen, how can the watch be of use today?"

Bladehunter217
2013-05-12, 07:08 PM
"Right, I just got done with a little chat where it was mentioned that some religious members have a theory regarding the recent tragedy." Cal smiled and gave a short bow.

Ghost49X
2013-05-12, 08:00 PM
"Oh my!" covering her mouth with her hand, whether she was trying to hide her concern or a mischievous smile Cal couldn't guess. "Please follow me" with a gracious bow and a soft voice she waves Cal after her and whispers to herself "this calls for Mother's intervention."

Leading Cal deeper into the temple they arrive at a modest prayer room, an older bald woman is kneeling in the room. The young priestess waves for Cal to wait at the door, kneeling beside Mother she seems to pause for a sort prayer and then sways over to whisper something in the elder's ear. Straining his ears Cal only hears "sorry.."

Nodding sternly Mother rises and waves off the girl. Staring at Cal with piercing blue eyes for over a minute holding him immobile by what seems to be sheer will alone. Cal snaps out of it when the heavy door to the room shuts behind him. "Come closer child, and speak your mind."

Bladehunter217
2013-05-12, 08:20 PM
"I had a question for you, but now, I don't think I wan't to ask it. You are being rather suspicious and I'm not certain what I think about that. I heard you have a theory on why the disappearances have happened." Cal watched each of them closely.

Hamste
2013-05-12, 08:45 PM
Hello good sir, we were recruited to help solve the mystery that has been plaguing this fine town. We were told to question the prisoner about it. Naturally, we will probably need a guard to supervise us while we are down there. Thog said. He would much rather if no one was watching but someone else was already here about the prisoner so it wouldn't hurt to put the guard at ease and allow them to put the blame on someone else if everything went wrong. Besides it would be good to have friends on the guard if he could somehow swing it.

Ghost49X
2013-05-12, 09:12 PM
Nodding at the two "It'll be a queen per visitor, of course if you don't have the coin you can snoop around the cell windows until you find him. Also you don't have to worry, due to the gravity of his crimes he is on permanent watch." Clearing his desk he takes out a tome and sets about preparing writing utensils.

shugyosha
2013-05-12, 10:30 PM
Jion

"I'm looking into the disappearance of Jonas the baker and his family. I was told that someone might help me by telling me where he was last seen and who reported them missing?"

Ghost49X
2013-05-13, 12:46 AM
The officer gives a nod "Ah yes of course, your name and motivation for the reccords if you please" reaching for the parchament beside him. Dipping his quill in the ink pot he waits for Jion and Thog to respond.

"If you'll give me a minute to find that report" after rummaging through some of items on his desk he unrolls a scroll. "Yes this is the one." Looking at Jion he nods
"You can read it for a queen or for the price of five crowns we can make a full copy of the report and have it ready in a few hours."

shugyosha
2013-05-13, 09:01 PM
Jion

"My name is Jion and I am... just a good Samaritan," he says.

When he mentions the required bribe, "I see, you didn't like baker and his family. What were they to you?" He smiles and starts to fiddle with his coin purse.

[roll0] diplomacy

Ghost49X
2013-05-13, 09:39 PM
The officer gives Jion a cynical look "Yeah right, I'll wager you're with that fresh batch of hired help the council has been recruiting. As for the baker I ain't got nothing against him, though I've met him a few times. Look here, rules are rules and if the coin doesn't match the register I'll more than likely lose me job and end up living in one of those cells."

shugyosha
2013-05-13, 10:35 PM
Jion

"So you know the baker and his family? Anyone who didn't like him, complained about him or he complained about," he asked as he fished out the only coin he hand. "My last coin, let see the report."

Ghost49X
2013-05-13, 10:52 PM
The officer hands Jion a rolled up scroll "I knew the guy enough to recognize him on sight but that's about all I can say about him."
A plain scroll devoid of decoration but both the paper and the rollers are of sturdy quality. Unrolling the scroll Jion reads:

Disappearance of Jonas Baker and his family.
Jonas the Baker, third son of Davok the weaver; Meera wife of Jonas the Baker; Simon son of Jonas the Baker; and Meliandra Daughter of Jonas the Baker were reported missing in the early eve of the eleventh day of Sarenith in the year 2791 of the current age by a friend and neighbour (William the tailor, second son of Mike the tailor.)

Initial investigation has revealed forcible entry and signs of struggle in the primairy residence. Evidence at the scene suggested less than half a dozen humanoids armed with bladed and blunt weapons. A dagger was found discarded at the scene, the blade was tarnished and in poor condition but had no trace of fresh blood suggesting it was thrown and missed. No evidence was found outside the residence.

Follow up investigation came up with one witness, an elderly lady (Mary daughter of Capt Rozen of the city guard) who stated "I was talking an evening walk when I saw an evil spirit drag a child into the sewers!" Further questioning of the witness has revealed that the crime happened after diner but before dusk. When the victim was unconscious when spotted by the witness. Inspecting the sewer entrances has revealed that the sewer entrance near the primary residence had been opened in the last few days. A summary inspection of the sewers has yielded no clues.

Ghost49X
2013-05-13, 11:10 PM
Cal
Mother waves her hand in a religious wave and touches Cal's forehead then heart. Before he could react it was over and Cal new she had used some sort of magic.
"You are pure of heart and mind, and I see a certain kindness in you." Mother looks at Cal and takes a breath "I will share a secret with you. Keep in mind that you must not speak of what you hear unless you have our blessing to do so." Mother chuckles and takes a deep breath "It is not a theory but a prophecy, foretold by our very own Oracle. She foretold what came to past, and what is yet to come." Mother leans in and whispers "She has us all sworn to secrecy over the matter lest the enemy become aware."

Bladehunter217
2013-05-14, 10:24 AM
"Secret, okay, I've no problem with that, its not like I actually have anyone to share it with. Bit of a loner in case you haven't guessed, just me and my magic. All I want is a better chance at finding the missing people to return them to where they belong, stopping whatever is taking them wouldn't be half-bad either."

Ghost49X
2013-05-14, 12:11 PM
Mother stands and beckons "Follow me if you will." Mother sets a fast pace for an old lady. After going deeper into the temple at the second set of stairs Cal hears a young sing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wyVR1RqPwQ), getting louder as they climb. Arriving at the top Cal takes in the sight, the huge bells in the roof above a great open space surrounded by great gothic arches. As impressed as he is with the architecture what holds his attention is the Maiden with silver hair in a silver dress with blue trimming sitting on a stone bench near an arch, singing with the voice of angels.

shugyosha
2013-05-14, 12:36 PM
Jion

"Hmmm..." he says rubbing his chin. "Is there anyway I could find this Mary and William the tailor?"

Bladehunter217
2013-05-14, 01:01 PM
"Alright that is a surprise." Cal muttered to himself, watching the woman. "At least she seems to have more confidence than the other gal I met today, that kinda put a downer on my mood."

Ghost49X
2013-05-14, 02:47 PM
Jion and Thog
"Both the crone and the tailor live near the victims. I don't really know more, if you spot a guard on duty he'll be more familiar with his area. You'll have to leave the report here though, but if you come back today you won't be charge if you wish to take another look."

Cal
Something catches the maiden's attention, and she picks up a staff prodding the ground as she moves towards Cal and Mother "Mother is that you?"

"Yes child it is I" Mother speaks with a gentle voice "I am not alone, I have brought you a visitor" pushing Cal gently forward.

"Greetings I am Illia, please come closer so that I may see you." She moves slowly towards Cal and Mother waving her staff slowly ahead of her.

Bladehunter217
2013-05-14, 03:16 PM
"Good morning dear, you may call me Cal. This gentle woman brought me to you, I hope I have not inconvenienced you with my presence. Do you mind if I ask, are you blind?" Cal strolls straight up to her and takes position next to her. "Would you care to walk as we talk, or would you prefer to sit?" Cal asks softly.

Hamste
2013-05-14, 03:17 PM
Well, should we head that way or try to find them through the cell windows like this fine guard suggested. I assume you would not let a wandering cleric go in to question the prisoner if I exchanged it for some healing magic? Though I am sure if anyone was injured the lord would be quite pleased to have them on duty quicker without having to waste any money on paying much more for a less kindly and more expensive cleric than me. Thog said. Worse came the worst he could always cast detect magic and hope that the prisoner was guarded by magical items or an antimagic field.

Not sure if I can use diplomacy on this guard to avoid paying or not but worth a try [roll0]

Ghost49X
2013-05-14, 03:45 PM
"Sorry but we have free healing from the temple, so we're all quite healthy. It's part of the benefits of the job you see. The coin from the fee is used to help pay for food and other comforts for the prisoners and the coin gathered from the reports helps pay our scribe. It's quite the effective system."

JennTora
2013-05-15, 10:08 AM
Upon finishing her meal and realizing everyone else had left, Silia got up. She left the tavern and headed for the prison.

shugyosha
2013-05-15, 10:20 AM
Jion

"Thank you for your help," he says then asks for directions to the Bakes' place. On the way he will stop to talk to an on duty guard if he fines one. If not he'll head to the tailor's place.

Ghost49X
2013-05-15, 11:47 AM
Silia, Thog and Jion
Silia arrives at the prison soaked, just in time to catch Jion as he's about to leave.

JennTora
2013-05-15, 05:25 PM
Silia caught up to Jion through the downpour and said "I like the rain but this is a bit much" while prestidigitating herself dry."So, what did you guys find out?"

Assuming she gets her answer Silia responds with "That's really weird. Do evil spirits normally use daggers?"
She chuckles at the thought of an incorporeal creature attempting to pick up a weapon.

shugyosha
2013-05-15, 07:49 PM
Jion

"I'm on my way to question the tailor and the witness," he says. "You're welcome come along."

Ghost49X
2013-05-16, 02:16 PM
Cal
The oracle approaches Cal until she touches him. "Greetings Cal, though I don't meet new people often I am quite pleased to meet you. Oh I can see, but my sight sees naught but what could be. I am quite blind to all else." Touching Cal she kneels as she gently feels his features up to and including his face. "My you have a grown voice for such a small body" then her expression becomes serious and she gasps "The gilded heart champion!" Before Cal reacts she hugs him, trembling slightly and he feels a tear fall onto his ear.

Jion and Silia
Walking down the road towards the area where the tailor lives Jion and Silia notice a small raised guard post (http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d100/Muron/Guardpost.jpg) leaning on a larger building. On a bench atop the platform huddled a guard, wrapped in a cloak definitely not appreciating the weather.

Thog
"So what's it going to be? Comfy dry talk with a prisoner or a pain in the arse soaking wet talk with the same prisoner?"

Hamste
2013-05-16, 02:47 PM
I'm afraid I don't have any money. You see a wandering cleric doesn't make much money, particularly for one that only accepts donations to the church for their healing. I will just have to talk from out here. Would you happen to know the name of the prisoner? I was not informed what their name was. Thank you for your time. Thog said. Curse those false temple priests and making it impossible for a wandering cleric to make money off of their divinely granted magic. It's like they didn't think of anyone else. Thog whispered some words and his eyes turned a light purple as his eyes start to pick up the magic with in items.

Activating detect magic and start looking for a lot of magical items that might guard a murderer. That and start calling out the name of the prisoner (assuming nothing weird happens when I turn on detect magic or that the guard doesn't say anything more of importance and that they guard tells me the name of the him) if not keep asking at random windows until I find them.

Ghost49X
2013-05-16, 03:37 PM
Thog
The officer tenses up as he recognizes the use of magic, hand reaching beneath the desk for what could be a weapon. Sensing no hostility from Thog after he finishes casting, he loosens up a bit and seemingly returns his attention to the scroll he had earlier but he keeps his hand below the desk on what ever he has at hand.

Thog senses the presence of faint magic and after a moment of concentration he can tell that there are 2 auras and they are both in a room deeper into the barracks but on the same floor.

Bladehunter217
2013-05-16, 04:56 PM
"My dear, I take you you have not met a halfling before. I am in fact a little small, but not hardly a child." Cal's voice began to become filled with concern and he wipes a teal from her cheek. "What troubles you, I doubt these tears are because of my size."

Ghost49X
2013-05-16, 05:48 PM
Thog
Thog goes from window to window and all of them are empty but the last.
Inside stands a prisoner near his cell door talking to a guard in the main room. The rain drowns out most of the conversation but the guard looks annoyed.

Cal
Ilia calms down and assumes a serious demeanor. Looking at Mother as if asking a question she gets a nod in response. "If I am to tell you anything I must have an oath of secrecy from you. Unfortunately the gravity of the situation at stake demands something more than a simple promise. If you'll ask us to trust you in this, you must take a sacred oath of binding."

Bladehunter217
2013-05-16, 08:21 PM
"This is a very strange situation, but I have no reason to tell anyone what you tell me so I'll make this oath." Cal placed an hand on the girl's shoulder, offering another smile before glancing back at the mother. "I have many questions, but only a few of them are relevant to why I am here."

Ghost49X
2013-05-16, 08:49 PM
Ilia takes Cal's forearm and nods towards Mother. Mother grasps both their hands and mutters a prayer in a forgotten language and Silia offers a comforting smile
"Repeat after me:
Upon my soul I take this oath to guard the light and oppose the dark.
To keep in secrecy the knowledge that is intrusted to me.
For this war is ours to wage, I accept this mark to guard my soul from shadow's grasp."

Bladehunter217
2013-05-16, 09:04 PM
Cal considers the words for a moment, deciding there is nothing beneath them before speaking calmly. "Upon my soul I take this oath to guard the light and oppose the dark. To keep in secrecy the knowledge that is intrusted to me. For this war is ours to wage, I accept this mark to guard my soul from shadow's grasp." He turned and watched Ilia closely, trying to decide what question to start with.

shugyosha
2013-05-16, 09:09 PM
Jion

He walks over to the soaked guard. "Nice weather, eh?" he says sarcastically and pulls out a small hip flask. "Here, it'll warm ya."

Watching the guard he then continues, "So I'm looking into the disappearance of the baker. Can you tell me anything about him? You know, who his friends were and who he might have had a dispute against?"

Ghost49X
2013-05-16, 11:06 PM
Cal
Ilia smiles "I'm happy to find someone else to confide in, those pure of heart are getting scarcer nowadays." then she hugs him with heart felt compassion. Mother clears her throat interrupting Ilia
"There are things you should know about the oath..." she takes a deep breath "It is protection for you as much as it is a safeguard for the rest of us. You have sworn to speak nothing that you hear or happens here without our express permission, even the existence of our the oracle must be kept a secret. Do not doubt, we are fighting a war and we're doing all we can to hang on. The binding also acts as a safeguard, should one of us ever be captured it will prevent our secrets no matter their methods. Sadly the cost of that is your life, should you ever attempt to pass on any information whether against your will or not, the binding will activate and rip the soul from your body transporting it to a safe place. Fear not, for with what we're up against, death is a blessing."

Ilia touches Cal's shoulder "before you ask your questions you should know that I only see possibilities, some of which will come to pass and some of them will fade into nothing more than could haves." Ilia smiles "Though I will not purposely mislead you, there are some questions which I can not give you the answer for it will change what must be. My sight may be true but also it is also very confusing as thousands of possibilities constantly conflict with each other. With this you must trust my best judgement."

Jion and Silia
The guard looks down at Silia and Jion "No thanks, it could cost me my job. Though now I wish I didn't switch shifts with the other guy" yawning he looks at the two in front of him "Looking for John eh... not much to tell, he was an honest man, had an honest family. I used to stop by his shop for a snack when doing rounds. As for his friends, he wasn't hard to get along with, most people within a couple blocks knew him to some degree. Enemies though I wouldn't know, the only dispute I've heard involved him was with his brother. You see John believed in learning a trade and hard work, contributing to society and all. His brother on the other hand fancied being an adventurer." Looking at Jion and Silia "No offense to ether of ya, John's opinions about career adventurers wasn't much better than common looters, serving no sustainable purpose in a good effective society. The dispute started when his brother visited and told tales of his exploits. It caught the attention of John's youngest and ever since then she's been running around thinking of being like uncle Ned."

Bladehunter217
2013-05-17, 09:16 AM
Cal speaks quickly and excitedly, intensely curious about his new friends. "First and foremost, the reason I came here, do you know what took the family? Also, you keep bringing up this evil, what is it? There is a prisoner that has a theory on what happened, does he think the same as you, or different? I'll keep to three questions at a time as not to overburden you."

Ghost49X
2013-05-17, 11:42 AM
Cal
Ilia tilts her head to the side and gives solemn thought about the questions "The darkness is difficult to grasp in its entirety. It is vast and malevolent and creeps into the hearts of men, inciting their fall further into darkness." She lets out a sigh and continues with sadness in her voice "I know very little about a missing family but the events outside the walls are certainly part of a dark agenda, whether this is directed by the one my prophecies warn of or if it is merely pulling strings and making puppets dance to its scheme." Shaking her head she weighs the last question "It wouldn't be improbable to find a connection between the outside and the missing family. As for your prisoner I haven't been made aware of anything having to do with a prisoner."

JennTora
2013-05-17, 12:25 PM
Silia frowned at being referred to as a common looter. "That's kind of silly of him. Technically, someone had to go on an adventure to find the land this city is on. Unless he thinks people just randomly appeared here for no reason and said 'let's start a town.'"

Hamste
2013-05-17, 12:35 PM
Thog moved to the window and tried to listen in on the conversation. He unfortunately couldn't over hear them from here. He waited until the guard was done talking to the prisoner before trying to draw the prisoner to the window to talk to him.

Try to start a conversation with the prisoner after he is done talking with the angry guard.

Ghost49X
2013-05-17, 12:36 PM
Silia and Jion
The guard leans over "Heh, well having discussed the subject several times with him. His opinion didn't carry over to those who adventured out of necessity nor those for whom it was a temporary vocation. Even though leaving with a bunch of settlers to settle some place could be seen as an adventure he didn't see it as wrong, due to the fact that these people would eventually settle and become productive. He dislikes those that move on and cling to the adventurer's lifestyle after society's need passes. Personally I don't see a problem with you types as long as you stay out of trouble, but everyone is allowed their opinion..."

shugyosha
2013-05-17, 02:03 PM
Jion

"So what can you tell us about Ned? Is he around?"

Ghost49X
2013-05-17, 04:30 PM
Thog
Crouched over by the window Thog sees quite clearly in the otherwise dark cell. The prisoner shakes the jail bars while ranting at the guard some more. Not caring much, the guard shrugs and points at Thog. The prisoner turns around quite angry over the guard's attitude, he walks over to get a better view of his visitor. "Heh, so who let swine into the city?"

Jion and Silia
"Hmm, Ned? I don't know, haven't seen him for a couple years. Probably out in the world doing his thing, if he were around you'd bet he be investigating those weird rumors about the area."

Hamste
2013-05-18, 08:12 AM
Hello kind, sir. I heard that you have heard some information on the recent disappearances... care to share? Also is it just me or is having a window in a jail kind of dangerous? Any old mage or cleric could come walking by and suddenly cast a spell in and there would be nothing you could do about. It is not as uncommon as one would expect particularly when the prisoner is throwing insults at a spell caster who is known for his anger. I mean just ask my friend Pyrom here, he thought it was a good idea to insult me and to not tell me what I wanted. Thog said while smiling his most sincere smile. As he said the last sentence he reached into a horribly smelling sack and pulled out a horribly mangled head that appeared to be filled with biting vermin.

Action: Attempt to intimidate the prisoner to tell me about the information. Note showing him the stingchuck would be in a way that the prisoner can see but the guard outside the cell looking in wouldn’t see. I would try to also hide it in such a way other people don't see it. Also I am readying an action to stick it back into the sack if the prisoner calls out or otherwise calls the guards.

[roll0] with how many times I used this I should have invested more points in charisma and the speaking skills :smalltongue:.

Ghost49X
2013-05-18, 09:38 AM
Thog
The prisoner takes a step back gagging. Keeping his eyes on Thog he yells "Guards, Arrest this orc!" The guard gets up and walks over to the cell and takes a look at Thog.
"And on what charge?"
"He's unspeakably evil, he's a walking sociopath! He's... argh! Just do your job, gods damn you!!" rages the prisoner "How come I'm in here and he's free?"
The guard looks at Thog, blinks a bit and shakes his head, he looks back at the man "Shut it" and walks back to his chair. The prisoner shakes his hands in an wild angry crazy manner. Then looks at Thog, walking over to the window. Hate clearly emanating from his gaze.

Hamste
2013-05-18, 10:00 AM
Now you care to answer me about what you know about the recent disappearances? Or do you want to get to know Pyrom some more? There is more than enough room for both of you I would think. Anyways, can you please answer me quickly? This rain is not making me have the best mood in the world and as you noted I might not be entirely stable. Thog said as he stared at the prisoner.

shugyosha
2013-05-18, 10:55 AM
Jion

"Thank you for your help," he says and continues to the tailors.

Ghost49X
2013-05-18, 03:19 PM
Thog
The prisoner stops at the window and stares Thog in the eyes, determined not to let him see his uneasiness. "Oh I've got a theory about the missing people all right" He mentions for Thog to get closer and then grasps the the window bars, pulling himself up face to face with Thog.

Hamste
2013-05-18, 04:05 PM
Well spit it out then, I haven't got all day. Thog said smiling. Hopefully this was going to be easier than he thought it would be. He didn't like the fact the prisoner just said "theory" but he might still be onto something.

Bladehunter217
2013-05-18, 04:14 PM
"Alright, now that those are out of the way, what are you, some kind of Oracle, a gift from the gods? How did such a sweet girl such as yourself end up blind to that around her but not distant things? And of course, you were judging my heart, what exactly does that mean?"

Ghost49X
2013-05-18, 05:52 PM
Thog
He looks Thog in the eye then whispers "For the light" and throws a right hook at Thog's jaw.
Smite evil! [roll0] if he hits he'll deal [roll1] non-lethal damage

Cal
"When I was little, my gift for prophecy was discovered by the local priest. Coming from a large family and food was scarce thus my parents readily accepted the church's offer to take me in. They started to teach me how to master my gift and as I grew more adept at it, my eyes grew less and less accustomed to seeing things of this world. I didn't judge you, but rather I think I remember seeing you in a dream. Even if I have gotten much better in interpreting my visions, they remain cryptic more often than not."

Hamste
2013-05-18, 06:36 PM
Guard, the prisoner seems to be trying to attack me with his fists. Can you please help with him? I think he might be a bit psychotic and it wouldn't do if he actually hurt someone wandering by. Thog said as he simply steps back away from the bars. You could have saved a lot of people's lives by explaining what you know... oh well, I will simply have to wait until someone knows what is happening so that I can get their help with stopping what ever is causing it. Thog whispered in a sad voice to the prisoner. He could have simply killed the little bugger but that probably wouldn't go over well with the guards and he didn't have time to be arrested if he wanted to make his money.

Bluff check to guilt trip prisoner (if that's possible) :smalltongue: [roll0]

Ghost49X
2013-05-18, 07:08 PM
"That's it" whistling towards the stairs, the guard summons friends. "He's trying to harm random people passing by his window."
"No! No I'm not! He's not random, he's evil I swear!"
"Yes, yes we know..."
The guards proceed to enter his cell and the prisoner sees a chance. He grabs the first guard and pushes him to the side and attempts to bolt.
Prisoner preforms an overrun
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
The 3 guards attempt to grapple the prisoner instead of standard AoOs
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
Quickly finding himself under a pile of guards, the prisoner is then cuffed and taken elsewhere in the jail.

shugyosha
2013-05-21, 05:55 PM
Jion

Remembering he needed directions he doubles back and asks the guard where the baker's house and shop was as well as the tailor's .

Hamste
2013-05-21, 06:04 PM
Thog looked around for the nearest guard that wasn't busy to ask for directions to the tailor's. If he was lucky he could catch up to the others before they learned anything interesting without him. He hoped he remembered where the others had said they had been heading. What bad luck it was that the prisoner seemed to hate him so much...now if only he could figure out why.

-_- I really shouldn't write anything when sick. Sorry, about this post being written so horribly but didn't want to keep everyone waiting.

Bladehunter217
2013-05-22, 09:01 AM
"When your mother, as you call her brought me here, she said I was pure of heart, do you know what that means?" Cal paused for a moment and focused on her. "You said you saw me in a dream? Why were you surprised by my height?" Cal started tapping one of his legs and scratching the back of his neck.

JennTora
2013-05-25, 09:29 AM
"So you don't think Ned was angry enough over the dispute to be behind something like this? Hmm... could you tell us where we could find William the tailor?" Silia asked.

Ghost49X
2013-05-28, 10:33 PM
Silia and Jion
The guard shrugs "Nah, Ned might've been a bum, but he had his heart in the right place and even if he lost his temper it wouldn't have gone past a punch or two. As for William, he lives a couple streets from here. Just take that street and follow it until you pass a bowyer and take a right. Can't miss 'em it's the only tailor shop in the area."

Thog
Moving through the city at a brisk pace Thog spots a guard shelter with a miserably wet guard sitting on it. At his question the guard points down towards another street "You missed your friends by about a minute, they shouldn't have gone far so if you hurry you'll catch up"

Cal
She smiles and takes a deep breath, maybe searching for words with which to explain "It means she didn't see evil in your heart. Though not all evil is aligned with the darkness, it can easily hide itself in those who are less than righteous. As for my dreams they a rife with symbolism, I thought the gilded heart champion would be a child. I was quite surprised to learn that one of the small folk would play that role."

Bladehunter217
2013-05-29, 01:33 PM
Cal laughed, a jovial sound with a small squeaking sound mixed in as he tried to quiet the laughter. "You are more surprised to see a halfling become a champion than a child, this certainly is an interesting place. My heart is not evil? No, my heart is my heart, and no-one can change that without a fight from me. I still don't understand this darkness thing, but I don't think I will just yet. Is there anything you can offer me as to where to find the missing people. I would love to stay here and speak with you more, but I cannot save anyone if I do not first try." Cal thought for a moment, the large smile beginning to fade. "I try to help out where I can, but I'm not a fighter, not in the normal sense at least, I don't even carry any kind of knife or sword on me. I rarely use my crossbow, it is for when my magic fails me a little more. I don't really see how I can be a champion." He stops and looks back at the mother. "Do you know of a young woman with some capabilities in arcane magic, she isn't very good, in fact, I'd say that without better training, she is a danger to herself."

shugyosha
2013-05-29, 05:31 PM
Jion

"Thanks a bunch," he says to the guard then heads to tailor's.

Ghost49X
2013-05-29, 06:57 PM
Jion and Silia
The guard smiles "Always happy to be of service" with a serious look he nods "if you find anything or if you need backup you let us know, k?"

Cal
Ilia waves her head back and forth as she considers the question "Well the wards on the crypt have been weaken considerably lately."

Mother sighs and squints at Cal "They are a standard precaution against evil influence. We sent someone over to take a look this morning though we haven't heard from her since. It hasn't been so long that we should worry, but with everything happening..." taking a pause to consider the situation Mother sighs again "And as for this young lady we aren't well versed in arcane magic, if she really is a danger to those around her we could maybe set wards to block her power. But if you're looking for training you should look towards old man greybeard, our local archmagister."

Thog
Sprinting Thog catches up to Jion and Silia as they are about to turn onto a side street.

Hamste
2013-05-29, 07:27 PM
Hello, fellow compatriots. I managed to find the prisoner after you left. Unfortunately, he seemed quite insane and said nothing of importance. It ended with him attacking me and being moved to a more secure holding cell. Did either of you find anything of importance? Thog said huffing a bit from his small sprint.

shugyosha
2013-05-30, 09:33 AM
Jion

"We got a look at the report. It tells of a witness, an elderly lady named Mary and the Tailor was the one who reported the Baker missing. So I'm off to question them."

Bladehunter217
2013-05-30, 10:48 AM
"I'll check on it, if nothing else, maybe I can ask why the wards are weakened before moving on. The young lady was a little shy and I tried to give her a little advice but went about it badly and scared her off. Magic is a useful tool but can be rather dangerous if you cannot control it. I would like to apologize to her." Cal sighed. "Can you describe the woman you sent to the wards?"

Ghost49X
2013-05-30, 11:10 AM
Cal
"Well the wards might be buckling under stress or maybe someone or something might be actively trying to disable them. They usually get renewed once a year but they weren't due for renewal until another eight months. Sister Morgana was dressed in priestly robes and carried a war hammer, she wore chain mail under her garb and she knew how to handle herself. She was also accompanied by a man named Cain. He was a swordsman she managed to pull back from death's door, he carried a large sword and wears heavy armor. Though Cain is still recuperating he insisted on following her throughout her duties."

Bladehunter217
2013-05-30, 11:23 AM
"So, you are saying they'll stick out more than a goblin with a crown on walking down the street. I'll go check on them, is there anything else before I go?" Cal looked at the faces around him, seeing if any of them had anything to say.

Ghost49X
2013-05-30, 11:26 AM
"Well Cain might stick out but it's not uncommon to see priests dressed in that way wandering around or people carrying weapons nowadays."

Bladehunter217
2013-05-30, 11:28 AM
"That wasn't actually the point." Cal muttered, being that he was partially joking. "Good day my dears, but I do believe I should go have a word with your ward-makers."

Ghost49X
2013-05-30, 11:41 AM
"Becareful Cal" Ilia smiles as she gives him a heartfelt hug.

Mother waves Cal down the stairs and walks alongside him. "You will always have friends within our organization, should you require anything ask and we will do our best to help. If you happen to visit another temple mention that you are favored by the light and they will catch on. Of course they'll have to ascertain your identity but they'll do what they can for you. Also keep this from any companions you might have. It is for their safety as much as yours and ours."

JennTora
2013-05-30, 12:07 PM
"Also the guard person said the baker was honest with a honest family, didn't like adventurers, and had a brother who was an adventurer. He also said his brother wouldn't have anything to do with the disappearance. So no leads there if he's right. Maybe the tailor knows something more interesting." Silia sighed. "Any idea what made the prisoner attack you?"

Bladehunter217
2013-05-30, 12:17 PM
"Of course, keep the secret for secrets sake. Which way to the crypt is it?" Cal shifted his weight, ready to go out and do something after all that talk.

Ghost49X
2013-05-30, 12:20 PM
Cal
"It's in the cemetary at the northwestern corner of the city, near the wall."

Bladehunter217
2013-05-30, 12:26 PM
"Goodbye then, I will see you again I suspect." Cal looks outside to the northwest towards the cemetery before beginning his search.

Ghost49X
2013-05-30, 03:27 PM
Cal
As Cal turns around about to leave Mother puts a hand on his shoulder and pulls him back. She gives him a serious look and whispers sternly "Cal if you are going to the cemetery, bring friends and be wary." lighting up her look and speaking with a more natural tone "fair well and be safe my little friend"

Bladehunter217
2013-05-30, 03:40 PM
"I'll postpone it then, but I'm really just passing through and don't have any friends. I'll see if I can find some of the people I saw earlier." Cal heads in the direction of the guard house, hopefully the others had taken interest in the prisoner or at least wanted to ask questions of the town guards.

Hamste
2013-05-30, 07:32 PM
I'm not sure, I was talking to him and it seemed to be going very well but then they went off their rocker. I think it might have been a mixture of them being racist and insane. Anyways it appears the tailor is the only open option right then. Hopefully the tailor has some good information or we will be at a dead end. Thog said frowning as he followed along with them.

shugyosha
2013-06-03, 11:45 PM
Jion

"Well things are pointing to the sewers but I'd like to be a little more informed before heading down there," he says continuing their way to the tailor.

Ghost49X
2013-06-08, 03:25 PM
Thog, Jion and Silia
Walking down the side street they notice the state of the buildings, which are all in good repair, the streets are clean and most buildings have had a decent effort put in to make the neighborhood cosmetically pleasing. This is without a doubt a pleasant middle class neighborhood. Upon arriving thoroughly soaked in front of a building with a needle and spool sign swinging above the door, its shutters closed against the rain. The door to the shop interestingly has glass windows, which speaks of wealth. Trying the door reveals it to be locked, however they see light inside, bright and unflickering.

shugyosha
2013-06-09, 08:24 PM
Jion

He hated being soaked. He knocked at the door and when there was no immediate answer he noticed the light. Out of curiosity he casted as simple spell.

Detect Magic on the light.

Ghost49X
2013-06-10, 08:38 AM
Jion, Thog and Silia
A short moment after knocking a young man comes to the door holding an iron plated staff, he says something to someone inside and unbars the door.
"Can we help you? Customers? or are you her for something else?"

Jion senses the presence of magic in the shop, after focusing he can tell that there are several faint magical auras including the light.

shugyosha
2013-06-10, 09:50 AM
Jion

Still focusing with magic sight he looking for the sources of magic. "We are looking for William. Are you he?"

Ghost49X
2013-06-10, 10:10 AM
Jion, Thog and Silia

"No I'm just Matrim, give me a minute" he turns toward the back of the shop "Dad, someone's here to see you."

Meanwhile Jion confirms that the light is indeed magical and so is the door, though he senses more magic, it comes from the backroom.

After a minute a middle aged man pokes his head out from the back. "Yes? and how may I help you?"

Hamste
2013-06-11, 04:39 PM
Hello, we are dearly sorry we have to disturb you with such a dark topic but we were hired to investigate about the missing baker and we were told that you were the one who found that he was missing. We are here to see if you know anything more about this dreadful incident that could be useful for our investigation. If you have anything at all please tell us so that we can stop further disappearances and perhaps even save the baker and his family. Thog said smiling as he tried his best not to insult the family.

[roll0] for diplomacy

shugyosha
2013-06-18, 10:53 AM
Jion

Keeping quiet she continues to look at the various magical Auras.

[roll0] spell craft

Ghost49X
2013-10-07, 08:08 PM
Jion, Thog and Silia
William nodded "yes, well like I told the guards" he clears he throat and takes a deep breath then goes on "like I told the guards, the baker and his family are friends of ours. Me and my youngest son went over for a friendly chat. When I called out no one answered so I opened the door some, You know, so my voice would carry further into their house. That's when I noticed clear signs of a struggle, I sent my son to get the guards and ran home to get my sword 'Talon' afterwards I ran back and checked for survivors. My son arrived shortly after with the guards."

Looking around Jion notices that the walls and windows also radiate magic.

Cal
By the time he gets to the guardhouse Cal is soaked and his clothes have become uncomfortable. A young officer sits behind a raised desk. He looks up from the scroll he was writing on and watches Cal come in. "Greetings Sir Halfling, how can the watch be of use today?"

shugyosha
2013-10-07, 10:02 PM
Jion

Are the auras the same (light, door, windows, walls)
What is the most powerful aura?
Knowledge Arcana to determine what kind of magic
[roll0] light
[roll1] door
[roll2] window
[roll3] walls

Bladehunter217
2013-10-08, 12:24 AM
Cal looked up at the guard, looking more like a wet dog than an adventurer, especially when he shook himself like an animal. "Two things. Has anyone else come here before me, probably to talk to your prisoner or ask questions of ya. I also will be wanting to talk to said prisoner myself."

shugyosha
2013-10-09, 12:47 PM
Jion

He decided it was time to be blunt with a question, "Why are there so many magic aura here?"

Ghost49X
2013-10-09, 10:58 PM
Cal
The guard looks back at Cal "Sorry but policy dictates that we can't say who came here, what they were looking for or whom they talked to though there are a few exceptions. But yes, people do come in here all the time and we do have several people in custody at the moment.

Jion, Thog and Silia
William looks at Jion slightly confused "Because I'm a magical artisan?"

Bladehunter217
2013-10-10, 12:14 AM
Cal shrugged, not bothered by being stonewalled. "No matter, if you don't make my job easier, I would like to speak to the prisoner that your patriarch mentioned, said that he may have information."

Ghost49X
2013-10-10, 11:04 PM
"Very well, it'll cost you one silver queen. Which prisoner do you want to see, the thief or the murderer?"

shugyosha
2013-10-10, 11:10 PM
Jion

"I thought you were just a tailor, I'm sorry. Did you son see anything while he was there?"

Ghost49X
2013-10-10, 11:18 PM
"He didn't stay around I sent him right away to get the guards, he didn't see anything I didn't already tell you and once the he fetched the guards they took over.
And yes I am a tailor of sorts, my main specialty is magical cloth. Have you ever heard of glamerweave?"

Bladehunter217
2013-10-11, 11:00 AM
"Not a lousy chance, I was asked to help save a family and you are trying to slow me down, bagh. It was suggested that I do not go onward to the cemetery alone, which was suggested to me that I might find some clues there, but if you intend to charge me to ask a prisoner questions that may help save your townsfolk, I'll have to say goodbye and take my chances by myself." Cal glared at the guard and scoffed. "I hope I can help myself sir, otherwise you will be shy a helper for your little town."

Ghost49X
2013-10-11, 04:47 PM
"Well I'm sorry Sir Halfling, but I'll have to follow the rules. Your contribution pays for the comforts of the prisoners though you could however go outside and speak to the prisoners through the cell window free of charge. As for the policy of not divulging whom visits the guard house and for what reasons, we've had trouble in years past where people would come around to ask whom visited, and then proceed to hunt down those who would ask questions or those supplying us information. A law was passed by the town council to prevent that."

If you want to convince him to make an exception, a diplomacy or bluff roll would help (though I'd avoid bluffing unless you're a master as he probably deals with liars a lot) otherwise a charm person spell or a bribe could work but both of these last two options could lead to disastrous results if you fail.

shugyosha
2013-10-14, 10:10 AM
Jion

"Oh, yes my mistake, did you scan for any presense of magic and what were the signs of the struggle?"

Ghost49X
2013-10-14, 12:34 PM
Jion, Silia, Thog
"I'll have to admit, I didn't. But unless they took the time to make a ritual I doubt there would've been any residual traces. It looked more like a struggle, maybe they dragged them elsewhere for their ritual?"

Bladehunter217
2013-10-14, 02:17 PM
Cal sighed, standing up straighter. "Can you at least tell me if anyone is still here? If so, I intend to wait here for them, so that you can see my intentions. Would that help satisfy you?" He took a couple steps to the wall and sat down, leaning against it lightly. While he waits to find out if he is waiting for anybody or just wasting his time, he starts to wring out his cloak onto the floor.

shugyosha
2013-10-15, 09:44 AM
Jion

"Was there any blood?... Actually is there any way I can get into their place to see the scene myself?""

Ghost49X
2013-10-15, 03:52 PM
Cal
The thief currently has visitors, the murderer doesn't but he's currently a little violent. We had to tie him down to prevent him from harming the guards, himself or people getting too close to the window of his cell.

Jion, Thog, Silia
"Hmm, I didn't notice any blood but I wasn't looking for details when I was there. I'm assuming anything of the sort would be in the guard's report. As for seeing it for yourself my son Matrim here, could take you there and show you around." William sighs "it's a shame, they were good neighbours. If I can do something let me know." Hearing his name Matrim steps up looking at each of them "I'm ready to go when you are".

Bladehunter217
2013-10-16, 08:05 AM
"Well, that is actually quite helpful then, thief you say, what did he steal?" Cal stood and smiled, happy to get some information. "I would actually like to see this prisoner then, you've managed to catch my attention, a silver you said, fine, but I had better find some useful information." He pulled the coin and smiled, flipping it to the air and catching it, holding his hand out towards the guard.

Ghost49X
2013-10-16, 08:35 AM
Cal
"Hmm, yes I believe she stole some food. She's a repeat offender so before you start feeling pity for her you should know she's from a rich family, so it's not like she needs it. Are you sure she's worth your silver?" the guard's skeptical glance lets on how much he thinks this particular thief is a waste of resources for everyone.

shugyosha
2013-10-16, 10:11 AM
Jion

He gives a friendly smile to the boy, "Alright, lead the way."

Bladehunter217
2013-10-16, 12:27 PM
"Don't worry, I'm a little too busy for pity at the moment, things tend to be off from what they seem. I expect your thief to prove interesting at the least. Which way is it then?" Cal smiled and set the coin on the counter. "Perhaps I can make a suggestion to her."

JennTora
2013-10-18, 09:30 PM
"Guys, I'm gonna go double-check something, maybe see if I can get something out of the prisoners that Thog here couldn't" Silia suddenly says and runs off in the direction of the prison without waiting for the others to say anything.

shugyosha
2013-10-21, 10:49 AM
Jion

"We'll be at the Baker's," he called out.

Ghost49X
2013-10-22, 01:32 AM
Cal
"Very well" the guard nods "If you can convince her to stay out of trouble you'll be doing us all a great favor" With that he drops the coin into a coin sized hole in the desk. "If you'll follow me" he leads Cal to the door at the back of the room opening and waving Cal through, into what seems to be a living area for the guards with a few of them sitting around. "Another volenteer to escort a visitor down to the cells" The guards grumble and one guard playing cards puts his hand down and stands up "bah! I'm going to lose anyways" he stretches and heads over to Cal. The officer waves Cal towards the guard and nods "I'll leave you in Gerrick's capable hands."

"Hey, I'm Gerrick" offering his hand in greeting "If you'll follow me." Opening up a trap door Gerrick descends into the lower level. "Careful stairs are steep, if you want help let me know" As Cal peers in to the whole he agrees the stairs seem like a cross between a ladder and regular stairs.

Jion and Thog
Quickly throwing on a cloak Mattrim leads them around to the house behind his father's shop. The house sits on the next street over, and from outside leaves no trace of what may have happened inside. Walking around to the front door Mattrim goes to knock and catches himself. "Sorry old habit, so here we are." He looks at Jion and Thog for more instructions.

Silia
Running back to the guard house takes a little bit of time and though the rain has lessened to a more moderate pounding Silia is unable to avoid being soaked.

Bladehunter217
2013-10-22, 02:15 AM
thank you, is there a window to her cell? I have a few idea ls as to how to convince a little rich girl the error of her ways. Cal looked down the stairs and sighed, wondering why a prison had use for a ship's stairs.

Ghost49X
2013-10-30, 08:42 PM
Silia and Cal
As Silia enters the guard house she catches a quick glance at Cal taking the stairs. A familiar feeling gets Cal to look back and he sees Silia enter the guard house. Meanwhile Garrick oblivious to the new arrival explains to Cal "Yes there is, unless she gets put in solitary that is. We have oubliettes for the most dangerous and non-cooperating prisoners, it's usually reserved for punishment."

shugyosha
2013-10-30, 09:21 PM
Jion

He smiles at the boy and then tries the door. If it is locked he'll ask the boy if there is another way in or at least a window they could try.

Bladehunter217
2013-10-31, 12:19 AM
"You wanna hold for a sec there old chap?" Cal looked at silla and grinned, "Been looking fork folks like you, are there any more about like us?"

Ghost49X
2013-11-01, 11:31 AM
Jion and Thog, The missing Baker's house
The door opens effortlessly as Jion pushes it. Inside is a dark room with only a little light streaming though shuttered windows, though signs of a struggle are still apparent in the shadows.

Thog's eyesight however is well adapted to the shadows and he sees the scene with much more details. The half finish meal, broken furniture and spilled food on a carpet under the table. A door and a stair case leading to the 2nd floor lead to other rooms.

JennTora
2013-11-01, 09:09 PM
"There's a half-orc and a human also investigating. I don't think they ever said their names, but the half-orc said he questioned the murderer, but he wouldn't talk to him because he was a half-orc. So it occurred to me to come back and see if he'd talk to me. Did you find out anything?"

Ghost49X
2013-11-02, 11:58 AM
Cal and Silia, Guardhouse
The officer holds the door open as Cal and Silia converse "You know m'lady, for a silver queen you can join the halfing while he visits the prisoners if that's why you're here. Rest assured the coin gathered in this way pays for small conforts for the prisoners." while saying this the Officer looks a bit annoyed at being treated as a doorstop.

Bladehunter217
2013-11-02, 02:20 PM
Cal looked at the guard, eyebrows raised. "This right here, standing before us is my main reason for being here, quit being a prick for a half-minute and let words be said. a I found out a couple of things but i would rather not talk in front of someone currently angry with me, if you have to talk with the murderer, I'm guessing, Ill say hi to the thief and meet ya back here. He doesn't sound too friendly, is that an anti-orc thing or is he one of them xenophobes?

Hamste
2013-11-02, 04:46 PM
I know this is distressing for you. If this is too hard for you, you can go back to the house and if we have any problems we will just rush over. Of course, if you wish you can stay here with us but it won't be terribly interesting.

Think there are actually any clues left in here? Maybe there is a motive in here for the murder or the exact way the killing happened. Do you need a light? I know most people don't have the ability to see in the dark and if you don't have one I can try to find a source of light in here. Thog said as he looked around for more information in here.

Trying to remember the details but I might be forgetting some information we had.

[roll0] perception check to look around this place (taking 20 if this fails and Jion does not need a light)

shugyosha
2013-11-02, 10:16 PM
Jion

"Well, the door was open, so the scene could have been tampered with by anyone." he says before casting a light spell.

"So let's have a good look around."

Perception:
[roll0]

looking at the signs of the struggle, what was over turned, how much blood, etc.

Ghost49X
2013-11-03, 11:38 AM
Jion and Thog
Mattrim sighs "I'm sorry but they don't have a lock, only a bolt to lock the door from the inside. I'll stay incase you need anything or have any questions if you don't mind."

In the main room the pair hunt through the room for clues; an over turned bowl of gruel, a small puddle of dried blood and a glint of something under a large dish cabinet (http://media.topannonces.fr/topannonces-images-622-480/5314326d-f162-4ad5-b4d4-f1539839c5d2-pic_1-622-480.jpg) with most of it's dishes broken catches the pair's eye.

shugyosha
2013-11-05, 10:20 AM
Jion

He looks at the puddle of blood and sees if her can find a direction which they might have gone.

Spotting the glint Jion moves to investigate the source.

JennTora
2013-11-06, 09:13 AM
"Sure. I'll talk to the murderer." Silia hands the guard the requested coin.

Ghost49X
2013-11-13, 01:56 PM
Silia and Cal
Taking the coin the officer waves her towards Cal and a guard poking his head through a trap door in the floor while wondering what the hold up was. After the officer closes the door and disappears in the front room the guard looks at both of them "Shall we get going?"

In the basement there is a small guardroom with two opposite walls of stone and two with iron cell wall grating. A slightly ajar wooden door stands in the middle of one of the stone walls the while a closed metal cell door stands in each of the cell grating walls. A hallway can be seen running parallel to the room beyond both gratings. A pleasant smell comes from the wooden door, it reminds Cal of good old stew from back home.

Jion and Thog
The blood looks like a splatter more than anything and Jion can't make anything out of it. Dropping down to the ground to look underneath the cabinet Jion finds a dagger, reaching out for it he hears scuttling coming from behind the wall...

shugyosha
2013-11-16, 12:18 AM
Jion

Once he collects the dagger he brings a finger to his lips and whispers, "shhh... you hear that. Somethings i the walls."

He casts a quick spell and examines the dagger.

casting detect magic
[roll0]

Bladehunter217
2013-11-16, 06:03 AM
"Smells good, reminds me of when we used to make rabbit stew, been a few years since I had a proper sit-down, I'm looking forward to meeting your thief. What was her name? I don't remember asking for it." Cal acts like he's going to meet a friend of a friend, looking forward to meeting this thief.