PDA

View Full Version : What to make, what to make?

Zach J.
2013-03-18, 07:27 PM
I've been invited to play in a game of D&D (3.5). The session will start out as a one-shot that may evolve into a longer campaign if the DM and players can synchronize their schedules. As far as I know the party is made up of a Paladin, Bard, Barbarian and Fighter. I haven't made a character yet and I'd like to get some input before I start. I usually play priests, either clerics or druids, and I'd like to play something else that will contribute to the party, but I'm not really sure what. Any ideas?

Rolls: 14, 10, 12, 17, 13, 12

P.S. I only have access to the SRD and usually try to restrict myself to core material for the DM's sake.

Callin
2013-03-18, 07:28 PM
What level?

Zach J.
2013-03-18, 07:29 PM
I'm sorry; I should have been more specific. We're starting at first level.

Zombulian
2013-03-18, 07:31 PM
I've been invited to play in a game of D&D (3.5). The session will start out as a one-shot that may evolve into a longer campaign if the DM and players can synchronize their schedules. As far as I know the party is made up of a Paladin, Bard, Barbarian and Fighter. I haven't made a character yet and I'd like to get some input before I start. I usually play priests, either clerics or druids, and I'd like to play something else that will contribute to the party, but I'm not really sure what. Any ideas?

Rolls: 14, 10, 12, 17, 13, 12

P.S. I only have access to the SRD and usually try to restrict myself to core material for the DM's sake.

I would personally recommend psionics. Good flavor, easy to grasp mechanics, and all on the SRD.
Just remember, you can only put as many power points in something = to your manifester level. No 100d6 at level 5.

Zjordan85
2013-03-18, 07:33 PM
Go for the Druid, two frontline fighters should be able to allow you to avoid being in the line of fire while you fill whatever role you choose. If you reach a few more levels, you'll be set with your animal and wild shape.
Being a 5th member grants you some flexibility.

Callin
2013-03-18, 07:35 PM
I second the Psion. Got enough meat in that party already.

Zombulian
2013-03-18, 07:37 PM
Go for the Druid, two frontline fighters should be able to allow you to avoid being in the line of fire while you fill whatever role you choose. If you reach a few more levels, you'll be set with your animal and wild shape.
Being a 5th member grants you some flexibility.

He said he usually plays Clerics or Druids and wanted something different.

Prince_Ornstein
2013-03-18, 07:39 PM
maybe a rouge, that seems kinda fun at the moment to run around and steal behind the paladins back. always bring a smile to my face :smalltongue:

Amphetryon
2013-03-18, 07:40 PM
The party could use an Arcanist; Sorceror, Psion, Wilder, or Wizard fit that to one degree or another.

Zweisteine
2013-03-18, 07:41 PM
I notice a distinct lack of primary caster in that party... While not crippling, that could will be very inconvenient at times. If it was me, I'd probably play a cleric (perhaps of the cloistered variant), but if you're tired of that, wizard might do well.

If you don't want to be a primary caster/manifester at all, and you want to stick to core, choose whatever you want. Fighter is good for basic combat builds, and rogue if you want to try skill-monkey-ing. Monk is fun if you want to be different, too (especially if you might not go on to higher levels).

Edit: [added bold, replaced "could"]

Never mind, I gave it a bit more thought, and have decided to replace my previous recommendation with Wizard.

Fates
2013-03-18, 07:46 PM
Quick question. What kind of bard is the bard going to be? Because that might drastically affect what class you should play.

Flickerdart
2013-03-18, 07:47 PM
Melee is going to get very crowded; I would recommend a Conjurer that uses various tactical teleports to move the party around (starting with the humble Benign Transposition). Later on, take levels in War Weaver (Heroes of Battle) to really spread some buff love around.

Alternatively, some manner of archer wouldn't be amiss, possibly an Artificer that can also keep the party's gear in good shape.

Zach J.
2013-03-18, 07:48 PM
Thank you for all the suggestions. It's been a while since I've played a Wizard; I think I'll make one. :)

I'm thinking a Halfling Illusionist with Enchantment and Evocation barred.

STR 8, DEX 15, CON 14, INT 17, WIS 12, CHA 12

Concentration, Escape Artist, Hide, Knowledge (Arcana), Move Silently, Spellcraft

Spell Focus (Illusion)

OverdrivePrime
2013-03-18, 08:02 PM
Sounds like a party that could really pivot off of the Bard's Inspire Courage and social leadership. How about bringing in a rogue? I think it's fun to make my rogues operate more like a special forces warrior than a thief, and generally pick up a 2-handed weapon ASAP. With the Bard's help, you'll be hitting consistently, and when you have the other melee characters as flanking buddies, you can seriously wreck faces. Make Dex your tertiary priority, after Str and Con.

Otherwise, how about a battle sorcerer with a focus on conjuration? At first level, your summons won't be worthwhile, but consider dropping a feat on conjuration focus anyway. If the game persists, you can pick up augment summoning and start spamming mibs of monsters that benefit from the Bard's IC. In the mean time, you can grab some padded armor and a longspear and fight from behind the Pally and Fighter. Out of combat, you can help the bard out with an impressive bluff check and act as the secondary social lead.

8wGremlin
2013-03-18, 09:04 PM
Thank you for all the suggestions. It's been a while since I've played a Wizard; I think I'll make one. :)

Concentration, Escape Artist, Hide, Knowledge (Arcana), Move Silently, Spellcraft

Spell Focus (Illusion)

if you or your DM are happy to move away from Core, try the Beguiler from PHB2 I think you'll like it...

Zombulian
2013-03-18, 09:17 PM

Spell Focus (Illusion)

If you want a mini-illusionist, definitely go for gnome instead of halfling.

ericgrau
2013-03-18, 10:19 PM
^ Ya you get a +1 to your illusions and more hp. The only drawback I suppose is that everyone suspects a gnome to be an illusionist, but that's what disguise self or alter self is for.

Illusion tends to involve a lot of specialization so it doesn't matter much what you ban. That said, I wouldn't go with the same giantitp pair for the 1000th time. For you in particular enchantment complements illusion well. Other options include abjuration or necromancy. Depending on the bard's spell selection and your own plans, you could even ban transmutation. I mean most people don't use polymorph so the main spell for common play is haste, which bards get.

Zaq
2013-03-19, 12:25 AM
maybe a rouge, that seems kinda fun at the moment to run around and steal behind the paladins back. always bring a smile to my face :smalltongue:

A smile to your face and a blush to your cheek?

Zach J.
2013-03-20, 08:30 AM
Elf Sorcerer 1

STR 11, DEX 15, CON 14, INT 15, WIS 12, CHA 17

Bluff +10, Concentration +6, Knowledge (Arcana) +6, Spellcraft +6

Eschew Materials

Snake Familiar

0 Detect Magic, Light, Prestidigitation, Read Magic
1 Magic Missile, Sleep

Longsword, Shortbow w/ 20 Arrows, 25 gp

Edit:
Here's a character I found in an old e-mail. The character is convinced that he's a dragon trapped in mortal form (future Dragon Disciple). I feel like he wouldn't work very well in the current party though.

Human Battle Sorcerer 1

STR 17, DEX 15, CON 16, INT 13, WIS 12, CHA 15

HP 14

AC 15

Concentration +7, Intimidate +6, Knowledge (Arcana) +5, Spellcraft +5

Eschew Materials, Toughness

0 Detect Magic, Prestidigitation, Read Magic
1 Enlarge Person

Longsword (+3 Melee Atk, 1d8+3 Dmg)
Morningstar (+3 Melee Atk, 1d8+3 Dmg)
Dagger (+3 Melee Atk or +2 Ranged Atk, 1d4+3 Dmg)
Quarterstaff (+3 Melee Atk, 1d6+4 Dmg)
Sling (+2 Ranged Atk, 1d4+3 Dmg, 10 Bullets)

Studded Leather Armor (+3 AC, -2 AC Penalty)

Backpack, 2 Wineskins, Flint and Steel

14 gp, 9 sp

Vaz
2013-03-20, 09:42 AM
A smile to your face and a blush to your cheek?

Thank you, at least I'm not the only one.

Zach J.
2013-03-22, 12:26 PM
Here's another character I was working on that may see play. A half-elf cleric of Fharlanghn who can serve as a secondary fighter and party face as well as a medic.

Half-Elf Cleric of Fharlanghn 1

STR 14, DEX 13, CON 16, INT 12, WIS 16, CHA 14

HP 11
AC 16

FORT +5, REF +1, WILL +5

Longspear +1 Atk, 1d8+3 Dmg
Morningstar +2 Atk, 1d8+2 Dmg
Light Crossbow +1 Atk, 1d8 Dmg

Skills: Concentration +5, Diplomacy +4, Gather Information +4, Heal +5, Knowledge: Religion +3, Listen +4, Search +2, Spellcraft +5, Spot +4, Survival +5

Feats: Improved Initiative

Racial/Special Abilities: Elven Blood, Low-Light Vision, Turn Undead

Domains: Luck, Travel

Spells:
0 Detect Magic (2), Light
1 Longstrider, Obscuring Mist, Sanctuary

Equipment:
Longspear (9 lb.), Morningstar (6 lb.), Light Crossbow (4 lb.), 10 Bolts (1 lb.), Scale Mail (30 lb.), Buckler (5 lb.), Wooden Holy Symbol of Fharlanghn

25 gp