PDA

View Full Version : Candle mobs buff/debuff

Toy Killer
2013-03-18, 07:32 PM
So, I have an idea for a boss who, in essence, makes zombies out of wax, wick and... well... a victim.

I have a blaster sorcerer in the party I'm DMing for, and I want the choice to use fire (his specialty) to be drastically change the encounter.

Predominately, I want using fire on the mobs to give them a bonus and a hindrance at the same time. At first, I was thinking it would give them Haste while being vulnerable, but I feel like they would go down too quickly that way.

Most recently I was thinking about a powerful darkness spell, where lighting the mobs on fire generates light, (So the rest of the party is able to see as long as one is lit) but I always hated the idea of the boss providing his own weakness, it takes away from the heroes success.

I really like the idea and I want it to have a mechanical change within the game to make the encounter unique. Any ideas?

Flickerdart
2013-03-18, 07:44 PM
I'd think the opposite - a wax zombie whacked with a burst of heat starts melting, which slows it down but also makes it harder to damage (the melting wax seals up puncture and slash wounds in no time).

ZamielVanWeber
2013-03-18, 08:54 PM
Giving the zombies any sort of anti-physical in response to what the sorcerer is doing seems a little mean to the fighter types in the group. What about diminishing returns? Fire does bonus damage, but the zombies slowly pick up energy resistances as their forms become more difficult to affect because they are all melted.

Toy Killer
2013-03-19, 04:23 PM
I really like the idea of the candles providing illumination (I mean, it's just so Fitting!) and providing a downside, and today I just came up with the idea that the minor Devil responsible for the wax-zombies may not have 'Killed' them first, at least spiritually.

And since he is supposed to be working for Bhor (A tactical devil lord of warfare and savagery), it would be interesting if he lured the players into a dark location with his 'pets' and force them to choose weather they fight in the dark or light the innocent humans whom were likely to die anyway.

The area could have a large amount of flammable goods, just to give him an extra edge if they do decide to go all out on toasting the innocent (And likely lighting others on fire afterward).

as loot, I think I'll leave a mocking 'Wax to Flesh' scroll... after he has made his escape.

so, instead of mobs, I think they'll be more... hostages.

Deadline
2013-03-19, 04:58 PM
I really like the idea of the candles providing illumination (I mean, it's just so Fitting!) and providing a downside, and today I just came up with the idea that the minor Devil responsible for the wax-zombies may not have 'Killed' them first, at least spiritually.

And since he is supposed to be working for Bhor (A tactical devil lord of warfare and savagery), it would be interesting if he lured the players into a dark location with his 'pets' and force them to choose weather they fight in the dark or light the innocent humans whom were likely to die anyway.

Alternatively, don't make the zombies "just candles". Make them bombs. Those aren't just wicks, they are fuses. Fight them in the dark, or light them up and have them explode when they die.

Toy Killer
2013-03-19, 05:17 PM
Salt bombs, I presume?

otherwise, how else would I get it into their wounds. :smallamused:

I knew I was going to get truly evil in this campaign, but it just started and it's getting pretty wicked.

I Mean... no pun intended...

supermonkeyjoe
2013-03-20, 06:56 AM
I would say that fire damage heals the wax creatures like certain golems eg:-

Any magical attack against a wax creature that deals fire damage heals 1 point of damage for every 3 points of damage it would otherwise deal. If the amount of healing would cause the creatureto exceed its full normal hit points, it gains any excess as temporary hit points. For example, a wax creature hit by the breath weapon of a red dragon heals 7 points of damage if the attack would have dealt 22 points of damage. A wax creature gets no saving throw against magical attacks that deal acid damage.

If you want a downside to it then the wax creature could count as being under the effects of a grease spell as it melts, dc 10 balance check every round or fall, reflex save to avoid dropping any held items etc.