PDA

View Full Version : Templates for a wizard

sambouchah
2013-03-18, 09:26 PM
I am creating a Gray Elf Wizard and was thinking of giving him a +2 LA template. Anything that won't reduce his Int much would be great.

Thanks, Sam

Carth
2013-03-18, 09:29 PM
Phrenic is nice
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/phrenicCreature.htm

Something more fiddly would be a primordial half-giant.
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/halfGiant.htm
Primordial is a template in Secrets of Xendrik, it can only be applied to creatures with the giant type. Primordial is LA+0, so you could throw draconic or some other LA+1 template on top, too.

Aegis013
2013-03-18, 09:30 PM
Try Phrenic creature, pg. 205 in Expanded Psionics Handbook.

Edit: Swordsage'd!

Alternatively try Dark Creature from Tome of Magic, and Draconic Creature from Draconomicon. For +2 LA total.

Andion Isurand
2013-03-19, 12:44 AM
Try the LA +0 arctic template from Dragon 306 for +2 Con, -2 Cha

Sith_Happens
2013-03-19, 12:50 AM
Shadow Creature from Lords of Madness (and a few other books I don't remember) is +2 LA for, among other things, total concealment in anything less than full daylight. AC? Who needs AC?

Sgt. Cookie
2013-03-19, 08:44 AM
MANDATORY STILTON WARNING

I can do one better than keeping your INT the same, I can boost it to a base 27.

You need to use the Symbiote Template from Savage Species in conjunction with a Dread Blossom Swarm from MM III. However, you need to have a friendly druid cast a Maximised Empowered Awaken upon said swarm before you apply the Symbiote template.

This will give you a Base 27 to ALL mental ability scores, which is a +7? modifier. This will give the swarm, and by extension you, 70! skillpoints to play with. The Swarm will also get three feats to play with, which you will then get as BONUS feats, which, by definition, you do not have to meet the Prerequisites for. *

There's also the small matter of being nigh invincible, Plant and Swarm immunities, Regeneration 5 Fire/Cold and an Aura of paralysis (So stay a bit away from the rest of the party!)

And the LA for such a marvelous selection of things? Why, it's an absolute BARGAIN at a mere LA +1!

*Yes, that does allow for ECL 2 leadership.

sambouchah
2013-03-20, 12:56 PM
MANDATORY STILTON WARNING

I can do one better than keeping your INT the same, I can boost it to a base 27.

You need to use the Symbiote Template from Savage Species in conjunction with a Dread Blossom Swarm from MM III. However, you need to have a friendly druid cast a Maximised Empowered Awaken upon said swarm before you apply the Symbiote template.

This will give you a Base 27 to ALL mental ability scores, which is a +7? modifier. This will give the swarm, and by extension you, 70! skillpoints to play with. The Swarm will also get three feats to play with, which you will then get as BONUS feats, which, by definition, you do not have to meet the Prerequisites for. *

There's also the small matter of being nigh invincible, Plant and Swarm immunities, Regeneration 5 Fire/Cold and an Aura of paralysis (So stay a bit away from the rest of the party!)

And the LA for such a marvelous selection of things? Why, it's an absolute BARGAIN at a mere LA +1!

*Yes, that does allow for ECL 2 leadership.

Assuming I go with this what race should I play? If I do this I want HIGH str.

Sgt. Cookie
2013-03-20, 01:01 PM
Anything that's a medium or larger humanoid, so Desert Dwarf, perhaps?

sambouchah
2013-03-20, 01:04 PM
Anything that's a medium or larger humanoid, so Desert Dwarf, perhaps?

Possibly. I was looking at bladeling(MMII) but couldn't find their racial modifiers.

Demidos
2013-03-20, 01:11 PM
Assuming I go with this what race should I play? If I do this I want HIGH str.

I do believe that method involves playing as a swarm, though im unsure as to exactly what the symbiote template does. If the swarm is simply the symbiotic species, you could go Krynn Minotaur or Orc for a +4 to Strength, both, unfortunately, have some mental score penalties. If con is important to you (which being a wizard, it should be, although symbiote mechanics might change that), go Dragonborn for +2 Str, -2 Dex, and assorted other benefits.

Edit: Just realized that Sgt. Cookie only used one LA. Gosh that template is broken. In that case, in line with ridiculous ability scores, a Lolth-Touched (+6 str, +6 con, +4 to hide/MS) will get your strength up to where you wanted it. Congrats, your dm will have you for the rest of your life.

Double Edit: To be clear, Lolth-touched is a +1 template, requires CE alignment and worship of lolth. Combined with the aforementioned dragonborn (water) orc, you could get +10 Str, +10 con, -2 dex, -2 int, -2 wis, -2 cha.

Warning: Will require good IRL reflex saves to avoid books being thrown at you by DM (AND other players), as far as my experience goes. Anything that starts with 27 base intelligence AND that many immunties in any but the most ridiculous of highpowered campaigns is liable to be instabanned.

sambouchah
2013-03-20, 01:22 PM
I do believe that method involves playing as a swarm, though im unsure as to exactly what the symbiote template does. If the swarm is simply the symbiotic species, you could go Krynn Minotaur or Orc for a +4 to Strength, both, unfortunately, have some mental score penalties. If con is important to you (which being a wizard, it should be, although symbiote mechanics might change that), go Dragonborn for +2 Str, -2 Dex, and assorted other benefits.

Edit: Just realized that Sgt. Cookie only used one LA. Gosh that template is broken. In that case, in line with ridiculous ability scores, a Lolth-Touched (+6 str, +6 con, +4 to hide/MS) will get your strength up to where you wanted it. Congrats, your dm will have you for the rest of your life.

Double Edit: To be clear, Lolth-touched is a +1 template, requires CE alignment and worship of lolth. Combined with the aforementioned dragonborn (water) orc, you could get +10 Str, +10 con, -2 dex, -2 int, -2 wis, -2 cha.

Warning: Will require good IRL reflex saves to avoid books being thrown at you by DM (AND other players), as far as my experience goes. Anything that starts with 27 base intelligence AND that many immunties in any but the most ridiculous of highpowered campaigns is liable to be instabanned.

Haha my fellow DnD freaks enjoy a powerful teammate. The DM shouldn't be too upset seeing as his fights are way strong. Optimization is very welcome. Where is Krynn Minotaur? and I MUST play a good aligned creature.

Demidos
2013-03-20, 01:25 PM
Haha my fellow DnD freaks enjoy a powerful teammate. The DM shouldn't be too upset seeing as his fights are way strong. Optimization is very welcome. Where is Krynn Minotaur? and I MUST play a good aligned creature.

Dragonlance, so somewhat dependant on your DM.
On the other hand, check your PM box, and never have to ask which race to use again!

Edit:
Perhaps Mineral Warrior (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20031003e)? Definitely a very strong template. Again, unsure on the interaction with symbiote.

Gosh, today and editing -- Just noticed the mental score penalties on the mineral warrior. Half minotaur (http://www.realmshelps.net/monsters/templates/half-minotaur.shtml) gives less penalties.

sambouchah
2013-03-20, 01:36 PM
Dragonlance, so somewhat dependant on your DM.
On the other hand, check your PM box, and never have to ask which race to use again!

Edit:
Perhaps Mineral Warrior (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20031003e)? Definitely a very strong template. Again, unsure on the interaction with symbiote.

Gosh, today and editing -- Just noticed the mental score penalties on the mineral warrior. Half minotaur (http://www.realmshelps.net/monsters/templates/half-minotaur.shtml) gives less penalties.

It would be a plant growing on me so maybe. My fluff: A wizard's apprentice born and raised. Studied under his(and the rest of the table of the blue band) for years. One day my master decided to try a little experiment on me while I was conked out(birthday celebration) after a night of partying. He forced symbiosis upon me and thought I'd enjoy it.

Sgt. Cookie
2013-03-20, 01:37 PM
You also start with a Base 27 in both Wisdom and Charisma.

Given you are now nearly invincible, I think that you would.

EDIT: As long as you remain Humanoid (Or Animal, Plant, Vermin.) You can attach symbiote to yourself. Do note that you become an Aberration, though.

Demidos
2013-03-20, 01:40 PM
It would be a plant growing on me so maybe. My fluff: A wizard's apprentice born and raised. Studied under his(and the rest of the table of the blue band) for years. One day my master decided to try a little experiment on me while I was conked out(birthday celebration) after a night of partying. He forced symbiosis upon me and thought I'd enjoy it.

That sounds....exciting. Well, the best one I can find for you is increasing a size category via half ogre, netting you the size adjustments (I believe +4 str -and +4 con, -2 dex (someone check me on this)) as well as the regular stat adjustments (+4 strength, -2 int, -2 cha). The Half Minotaur is better (+4 strength, +2 con, -2 int), but is from dragon magazine.

sambouchah
2013-03-20, 01:50 PM
You also start with a Base 27 in both Wisdom and Charisma.

Given you are now nearly invincible, I think that you would.

EDIT: As long as you remain Humanoid (Or Animal, Plant, Vermin.) You can attach symbiote to yourself. Do note that you become an Aberration, though.

That sounds....exciting. Well, the best one I can find for you is increasing a size category via half ogre, netting you the size adjustments (I believe +4 str -and +4 con, -2 dex (someone check me on this)) as well as the regular stat adjustments (+4 strength, -2 int, -2 cha). The Half Minotaur is better (+4 strength, +2 con, -2 int), but is from dragon magazine.

My Dwarf(Granite Welderfield) believes himself to be an unlovable monstrosity despite being so damned powerful. He feels that if it wasn't for his being made of stone and grass he could've married his one true love(A young Gnome woman who found his magical..."prowess" cute.)