PDA

View Full Version : Rod of Wonder?

Draig
2013-03-18, 10:56 PM
Ok so i think most Dm's and PC's should be familiar with the ever Chaotic "Rod of Wonder" (DMG, magic items, rods) Well a few of my players have been asking to change up the rod from the sample list provided. So im asking all players, dms, or just playgrounders to share some sweet ideas that the Rod of Wonder Could do, other than the examples given in the book. The more cooky and creative the better. Thanks.

TaiLiu
2013-03-18, 10:58 PM
There's a Greater Rod of Wonder Effect Generator online. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20060807a)

Drelua
2013-03-19, 06:30 AM
I think this is on the Greater Rod of Wonder list, but I someone on this forum said they rule that a roll of 69 acts as a Girdle of Gender Changing, with an equal chance of effecting the target and the wielder.

Man, I wish I knew about the Greater Rod of Wonder when my whole party of epic level adventurers was having a Rod of Wonder fight. Well, except for the Paladin; he wasn't impressed, especially with all the collateral damage. My Warmage sure was happy when he shrunk to 6'' tall and hid in someone else's shirt though; the perfect hiding place. :smallbiggrin:

HunterOfJello
2013-03-19, 06:50 AM
The Net Libram of Random Magical Effects (http://www.traykon.com/pdf/The_Net_Libram_of_Random_Magical_Effects.pdf) should satisfy them.

It's designed to be used for situations where a Wild Surge would occur.

The list will likely need to be kept nearby on a laptop, tablet, or e-reader though since it has 10,000 total effects on it.

Jack_Simth
2013-03-19, 07:07 AM
Ok so i think most Dm's and PC's should be familiar with the ever Chaotic "Rod of Wonder" (DMG, magic items, rods) Well a few of my players have been asking to change up the rod from the sample list provided. So im asking all players, dms, or just playgrounders to share some sweet ideas that the Rod of Wonder Could do, other than the examples given in the book. The more cooky and creative the better. Thanks.
You've got a ready-made random generation list from the lists of wands/scrolls.

Seriously - roll 1d2: Arcane or Divine. Then roll 1d3 - Minor, Medium, or Major scroll. Then roll 1d100 to pick the level based on that list, then roll 1d100 to pick the specific spell off of that list. Then roll 1d2 again to see whether it affects the target or the wielder. You've got a very big list of effects, many of which are useful in combat.

Chained Birds
2013-03-19, 01:01 PM
The Net Libram of Random Magical Effects (http://www.traykon.com/pdf/The_Net_Libram_of_Random_Magical_Effects.pdf) should satisfy them.

It's designed to be used for situations where a Wild Surge would occur.

The list will likely need to be kept nearby on a laptop, tablet, or e-reader though since it has 10,000 total effects on it.

Mind if I test my luck?

1d10000

Edit: How can you even roll this? :smalltongue:

Frathe
2013-03-19, 01:23 PM
I made a rod of wonder variant (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=265828) that has some pretty... interesting effects. Mine'll work as is, I think (it's similar, though not identical, to a variant my group actually played with).

8wGremlin
2013-03-19, 05:18 PM
Mind if I test my luck?

1d1000

Edit: How can you even roll this? :smalltongue:

only if I can do mine too... 1d10,1d10,1d10,1d10

Edit: Well that sucked... no roll mechanism here...

Edit 2: Rolled Dice online (http://www.roll-dice-online.com/)

2740 - caster's eyes open sideways instead of up and down

like it...

Psyren
2013-03-19, 08:00 PM
These would be really fun if combined with the Wild Mage PrC. They get to convert any of their spell slots into a Rod of Wonder effect, as well as roll twice when using the rod and take the result they prefer.

Alefiend
2013-03-19, 08:09 PM
You've got a ready-made random generation list from the lists of wands/scrolls.

Seriously - roll 1d2: Arcane or Divine. Then roll 1d3 - Minor, Medium, or Major scroll. Then roll 1d100 to pick the level based on that list, then roll 1d100 to pick the specific spell off of that list. Then roll 1d2 again to see whether it affects the target or the wielder. You've got a very big list of effects, many of which are useful in combat.

That would (IMHO) defeat the purpose of the Rod of Wonder, which is wacky chaotic effects. It's not supposed to be useful, it's supposed to be really unpredictable.

Then again, that's why I could never understand wanting one in any but the most lighthearted of games.

Frathe
2013-03-19, 08:19 PM
Then again, that's why I could never understand wanting one in any but the most lighthearted of games.My DM let a player who was completely new to the game have a variant version, and he used it every single turn (although he was a 7th or 8th level Druid). It kind of derailed the game, though not in a bad way. I'm afraid it didn't really let that player actually play, though.

About lightheartedness, though, we did already have a major NPC who was a talking man made of food.

Zweisteine
2013-03-19, 08:24 PM
Maybe you should look at the Shield of Wonder from the comic Goblins.

I can't remember where the effects are listed, though. Link, anyone?

Tokuhara
2013-03-19, 08:42 PM
For an upcoming campaign, I'm designing a new Rod of Wonder with unlimited charges and hundreds upon hundreds of spells at the disposal that will be given to the party at level 1. Think Wabbajack from TES with unlimited uses. There is a pair of caveats:

1. The item cannot be sold. Dunno how I'd do that, but the item is unsellable.

2. The target is randomized. Secretly. The rod could cast its spell on the enemy, but it could also hit the party. I find this funny personally. Baleful Polymorph the Fighter into a 3-toed Sloth

Draig
2013-03-19, 08:54 PM
1. The item cannot be sold. Dunno how I'd do that, but the item is unsellable.

Simple, NO ONE wants it. Shopkeepers will be interested until they see the rod and then all suddenly would rather not buy it.

Jack_Simth
2013-03-19, 09:04 PM
That would (IMHO) defeat the purpose of the Rod of Wonder, which is wacky chaotic effects. It's not supposed to be useful, it's supposed to be really unpredictable.Oh. Forgot to mention: Roll randomly for the target; 1d3:
1: Rod User
2: Target
3: Random nearby individual.

Also roll randomly for the effective caster:
1: Rod User
2: Target
3: Random nearby individual.

So if you roll Polymorph, you might turn your opponent into a creature of your opponents' choosing. Or maybe yourself into a creature of your choosing. Or maybe yourself into a creature of your opponent's choosing. You never can tell.

Tokuhara
2013-03-19, 09:29 PM
Simple, NO ONE wants it. Shopkeepers will be interested until they see the rod and then all suddenly would rather not buy it.

Great idea. It's dangerous, thus no shopkeep wants to buy it. Ever. They see this Rod of Wonder (marked by being engraved, made of ivory, and having caps made of solid gold) and tell the PCs "heck no!" on first glimpse of the item.

TuggyNE
2013-03-20, 01:06 AM
Great idea. It's dangerous, thus no shopkeep wants to buy it. Ever. They see this Rod of Wonder (marked by being engraved, made of ivory, and having caps made of solid gold) and tell the PCs "heck no!" on first glimpse of the item.

This is how you know that there are no weapons dealers in our world.

8wGremlin
2013-03-20, 01:19 AM
It is a well known cursed item
Who ever buys it is condemed to suffer every fate of every target for ever

TheNoodleGod
2013-03-20, 10:37 AM
Rod of wonder? Oh did you mean my di-