PDA

View Full Version : Help with a new D&D campaign

AlexG
2013-03-19, 01:24 AM
Hi everyone, my current group of D&D players have decided that we need a new DM and I opted to take on the role. Problem is - I've never really dm'd a campaign before and I want to make sure it is entertaining for my players. The group has had a history of apathetic DM's though, so the bar isn't set really high, but I want to really show them how much fun D&D can be.

We are starting at level 8 because we are a school group and only have a few weeks till summer - we wanted to get to the good stuff pretty quickly in case we cant start again next semester. The universe will have elements of steampunk and magic - the kind where the technology is powered through magic etc.

My idea for the story (posted from notepad):
Margrarius
Lawful Evil Cleric
Level XX

Backstory: After adventuring for a while, his ambitions and devotion to his god grew into his current plan. He lives by a strict code of honor, and has a great love of drama. He loves his friend G, but wouldn't hesitate to crush him if he was betrayed. Trust and Honesty are extremely important to him, while a weakness.

Goal:
Recreation and destruction of the stone of banishment (Name TBD).

The Plan:
Gathering the (# of party members) pieces of the ancient stone of banishment. 100's of year ago, a group of adventurers not unlike the current group used their powers to exile the God from this realm. Each stone is hidden and protected in a different way. If they are destroyed, Margrarius's god will be able to wreak havoc on the world. Not destruction, but more of a tip the balance of good and evil 1000 years of darkness kind of deal. Death and destruction and sacrifices galore.

The Twist:
The original party was this party - they are reincarnations of their old selves. In the past, they sacrificed themselves in order to power the stone. Each character will feel a profound connection to each stone when near it. Some will be able discover some sort of knowledge about this, while others' stones will already be destroyed. As long as one of the pieces is intact, the God is kept out of this world.

The hand of the big bad:
Greg'Mar
Lawful Evil Fighter
Level XX

Backstory: He and Margrarius have been friends since their early adventuring days. While not as ambituous as his friend, he would never abandon him. When M first told him his plan, he decided he would help - as long as he was able to be the leader of his original homeland and that natives of this area would be spared of the killings by his god.

I feel the campaign has a few cliche elements, but they are cliches for a reason right? Let me know what you think about what I currently have, and I have a question as well about the two evil guys' levels. If I have a group of 5-6 level 8's, what level would my evil guys need to be to provide a challenge as just the two of them?

BowStreetRunner
2013-03-19, 10:09 AM
I like how you tie the PCs directly into the story - they are not just a random bunch of adventurers who took up a quest for fame and glory. I have found this always helps to keep the story interesting for the players.

As for the NPC levels, when do you expect the PCs to be able to beat them? Some DMs like to have the villains level up along with the PCs, but I feel this gives the PCs the opportunity to end things prematurely. I usually set the NPC level high enough that the PCs won't have a reasonable chance against them until they are far enough along in the story.

Bubzors
2013-03-19, 11:58 AM
I agree with BowStreetRunner. I like having the BBEGs be higher level to start, so that they only view the party as annoying thorns in their sides. I usually have them purposely leave the destruction of the party to their underlings and leave with snide remarks. This is also kind of cliched but it really does make the party actually get involved and have a goal. When they personally hate the villain because he always shows them up and dismisses them, they usually will work harder to defeat him.

But also remember, sometimes players are crafty so if you really want these guys return over and over again, always have a backup plan to escape. Usually this means setting the environment of the encounter in favor of the villains.

As for the exact level of the enemies for the party to just take the two of them on? That can get tricky. I've found that when you have a party of 5-6 people and only 2 enemies, even if the baddies are much, much stronger they usually get destroyed just due to action economy. If you want to do that, make sure that the enemy is prepared so that they can have buffs/traps/debuffs or whatever else ready to help them control the superior numbers of the party.

Trasilor
2013-03-19, 12:58 PM
... If I have a group of 5-6 level 8's, what level would my evil guys need to be to provide a challenge as just the two of them?

First, you need to know what level you expect players to fight these two evil guys. If you expect them to fight them when they hit level 15, then, at a minimum, you want your BBEGs to be level 15.

Also, the BBEG will have contingencies for his contingencies. Remember, high level NPCs got that way by not being the most powerful but by being the most paranoid. As a DM, I always ask myself "OK, I am the BBEG, what kind of resistance can I expect, and how can I prevent that from killing

Good luck and happy gaming!

ksbsnowowl
2013-03-20, 12:54 AM
We are starting at level 8 because we are a school group and only have a few weeks till summer - we wanted to get to the good stuff pretty quickly in case we cant start again next semester. The universe will have elements of steampunk and magic - the kind where the technology is powered through magic etc.

If I have a group of 5-6 level 8's, what level would my evil guys need to be to provide a challenge as just the two of them?

For the first part, look to Eberron as a resource. It is the quintessential "magic-punk" D&D source.

For the second, two CR 7 foes are a difficult challenge for a party of five 8th level characters. A CR 7 and a CR 8 foe together make a difficult challenge for six 8th level PC's. These are estimates, mind you, and depend upon the foes themselves and the ability of the PC's.