PDA

View Full Version : What would you play with all 18s at level 1?

Hadrian_Emrys
2013-03-19, 04:17 AM
The title covers the most important bit. You're playing a level 1 "Donner party" game and the DM is letting you start with all base 18s and masterwork gear. What would you start as and build towards? For extra giggles, you gain 2 attribute points every 4 levels instead of the standard 1.

Felandria
2013-03-19, 04:19 AM
Either Rogue, multi classing to Fighter later or Monk MCing to Sorcerer.

W3bDragon
2013-03-19, 04:33 AM
With all 18s to start, I'd probably play some kind of arcane gish. Those tend to need at least 4 high stats (all the physical ones + the casting stat). I'd avoid single classed casters, as those stats would be a waste.

And yes, I realize a caster would still be more powerful, but how often do you get to make your favorite MAD build with perfect starting stats?

Jane_Smith
2013-03-19, 04:42 AM
Hm. I would start as a wizard for the simplicity of why my spellbook just sprung out of nowhere for free - gaining a level in wizard at level 2+ without a good amount of downtime makes no sense, or explains where you got the spellbook, the spells, etc, and while its fine with the rules, I don't want to make things weird.

Overall build would aim for Wizard/Fighter/Swiftblade (I think that's the right prestige class? The eldritch knight-ish style one focusing on haste and benefits when hasted like concealment, spell resistance, extra attacks and more attack/ac/reflex/move speed bonuses?) theme with a large two handed weapon, focusing on expeditious retreat (Early game) and jump, then haste at later levels, extended long term spells like bull's strength and cat's grace for long engagements, quickening spells like true strike, true shield, and keeping things like feather fall and nerveskitter handy. Late game spells would also focus on flight, water affinity/breathing, and anything helpful for crafting my own magic weapon.

If the dm does not let you just hold the two-handed weapon in one hand non-combatively to cast a spell with your other hand and thinks your hands are glued to your weapon 24/7, then there is a feat I believe called "Somatic Weapon" that allows you to use the weapons movements for spellcasting when your hands are full.

For other feats, craft wonderous item and craft magic arms and armor are essential, to later make items like gloves of the tactician for the gloves of storing benefit in both hands and the bonus to initiative, goggles of revealing for the true sight benefit against invisible or veiled enemies and traps, and belt of the commander (I think thats the name?) that grants 3 charges each day you can use for a move (1 charge), standard (2 charges), or full action (all 3 charges) during that day extra during one of your turns. Remember, swiftblade prestige class gives even more extra attacks during a full attack when under haste effects! Two full attack actions at level 6+ in the same turn under haste effects with a two handed weapon is devastating even to the toughest bosses. Other then that, stuff like blurring, magebane, and dancing on the weapon, a backup flanking weapon for the 2nd glove of tactician to store for surprises/backup, a cloak of shadows, and a ring of mind shielding would be preferred. Oh, and a twilight mithril chainshirt for protection with no obvious drawback, typically with spell resistance, elemental resistances, confidence (book of erotica fantasy, +2 charisma, adds charisma to will saves, for only a +1 armor enchant), and/or that enchantment from book of exalted deeds to make you immune to death spells/effects.

Considering you get the strength to hit, 1.5 damage with the two hander for damage, dex to reflex saves, initiative, jump, balance for mobility, the constitution for the health and saving throws and the concentration bonus (only useful for casters or diamond mind martial users, I believe), a large intelligence for bonus spells and spell dc's, wisdom for a high will save, and lastly the confidence enchantment on your armor makes your charisma become a bonus to your will save. You use every single stat in this build for a significant edge/protection. Hell, if your feeling spiteful to the dm, swap fighter with paladin and get the cha to all saves and to a smite attempt 1/day with a spellstoring weapon attack! You could even possibly fall to the dark side, exchange all paladin levels and roll with antipaladin just for the free sneak attack. Smite, Sneak, Spell, Charge Attack while hasted and flying and a quicken spell readied a good idea? I think so.

Oh: And for race, obviously a elf, so you can live long enough to reach the 10+ range without having to save the world even once. Edit: Or warforged, and kill chickens for a living for a few thousand years.

Hyena
2013-03-19, 05:00 AM
Paladin or monk. Finally a solution for my MADness.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-19, 06:23 AM
Wizard 2, Binder 1, Anima Mage 10, Incantrix 7, Gish.

That or some sort of Archivist Gish. Actually, if you could get the Divine adaptation of Anima Mage...

Suffice to say, it would offer you all the ludicrous power you want, while still being plenty MAD - that first character would rely on INT for wizard casting, CON and CHA for Binder abilities, and STR and DEX for AC/Hitting things. But, you'd also get cool things like enough free metamagic to drown in, and the nifty ability to cast any spell as an immediate actions.

I love Anima Mages.

TuggyNE
2013-03-19, 06:50 AM
A "Donner Party" game? I'd play something that doesn't taste good.

Eldan
2013-03-19, 06:52 AM
Beguiler. Or binder, maybe. You can find something on a binder for almost any ability score.

Jane_Smith
2013-03-19, 07:03 AM
Oh, even better, Barbarian/Sorcerer/Rage Mage with Shout feats. Fus Ro Dah, anyone?

Reltzik
2013-03-19, 08:17 AM
A wild mage (or chaos mage, primalist, take your pick of magic-goes-crazy-and-anyone-can-benefit). Because with dice mojo like that, I'd be UNSTOPPABLE.

Lorsa
2013-03-19, 08:19 AM
I would probably just play a paladin. I've always wanted to be a (somewhat good) paladin but never had the ability scores for it. So how boring it may sound, if I got all 18s then paladin it is!

Or maybe an elven Bladesinger. Maybe not the best choice but it would be interesting!

I guess I really suck at figuring out what to do with all 18s, it just never happened to me. :)

NikitaDarkstar
2013-03-19, 09:24 AM
A rogue or a bard most likely.

Jay R
2013-03-19, 09:39 AM
You've left off all the information needed to design a character. What kind of world is it? Are there large cities? Is it a hunter/gatherer society? Feudal?

I never start designing a character with just stats.

So let's see.... the Stats don't lead anywhere. There's no background information.

I'd probably end up play Solitaire, in the next room. This D&D game hasn't offered me any fun hook.

Vaz
2013-03-19, 10:04 AM
{{scrubbed}}

dps
2013-03-19, 11:10 AM
You've left off all the information needed to design a character. What kind of world is it? Are there large cities? Is it a hunter/gatherer society? Feudal?

I never start designing a character with just stats.

That's not the problem, but there's too much information we don't have. What edition? What prestige classes are available? Etc.

Negativethac0
2013-03-19, 11:12 AM
I agree with Lorsa. Definately a Captain Hammer-inspired Paladin who knows he's just darn good at everything.

Lord Torath
2013-03-19, 11:44 AM
All my characters in the AD&D Gold Box games had those stats...

Jay R
2013-03-19, 12:08 PM
Jay R; that sounds incredibly boring and obtuse;

Insult received.

You don't have to design the character from the stats.

But that's the exact question in this thread. We are asked to design the character from the stats. "What would you play with all 18s at level 1?"

obryn
2013-03-19, 12:16 PM
I'd play the lottery because it's clearly my lucky day.

TheThan
2013-03-19, 12:44 PM
I’d play something with really bad MAD issues. Like a bard (favorite class anyway), ranger, monk or paladin.

Khedrac
2013-03-19, 01:06 PM
Well this is not a D&D only forum - it's a generic roleplaying forum so...

From a strictly roleplaying perspective, whatever I felt like playing at the time.

If you do want to be system specific then it depends on the system...
For MERP/Rolemaster/Spacemaster I would retire the character instantly and generate a new one (in fact I think you get to automatically re-roll any stats that bad).
For Traveller I prefer Scouts, though people would probably ask how I got stats over 12.
For AD&D, I'm not sure, been a long time, - I'd probably go with my generic rp answer.
For Metzner D&D either a cleric aiming at druid, or a halfling aiming at hin master I think.
For 3/3.5 D&D I'd ask the DM about some of the more obscure classes (like Incarnum) and see what they would allow me to play.
To be honest in a D20 or similar system such stats mean you can play whatever you want.

I really would look to move this to the D&D forum though

valadil
2013-03-19, 01:17 PM
Wizard. Venerable wizard. 21 Int before racial bonus and a positive con mod? Yes please.

Seharvepernfan
2013-03-19, 04:11 PM
If PF, then this. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/tripod-machine/martial-artist)

Maybe a warblade. Rogue and scout are tempting, but there's not enough use of those physical stats at high level when attacking.

Or an elf Bladesinger (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179198)/Swiftblade.

Depending on the campaign, one of those three.

SowZ
2013-03-19, 04:21 PM
I’d play something with really bad MAD issues. Like a bard (favorite class anyway), ranger, monk or paladin.

How does a Bard have bad MAD issues? You just need high Charisma and probably want an alright Dex and Int. You want Con, sure, but no more than everyone wants Con. You only need one stat above fourteen.

Hiro Protagonest
2013-03-19, 04:22 PM

From a strictly roleplaying perspective, whatever I felt like playing at the time.

For MERP/Rolemaster/Spacemaster I would retire the character instantly and generate a new one (in fact I think you get to automatically re-roll any stats that bad).
For Traveller I prefer Scouts, though people would probably ask how I got stats over 12.
For AD&D, I'm not sure, been a long time, - I'd probably go with my generic rp answer.
For Metzner D&D either a cleric aiming at druid, or a halfling aiming at hin master I think.
For 3/3.5 D&D I'd ask the DM about some of the more obscure classes (like Incarnum) and see what they would allow me to play.
To be honest in a D20 or similar system such stats mean you can play whatever you want.

Exalted: I start with every stat at 18!?

FATE: I start with every stat at 18!?

ericgrau
2013-03-19, 04:28 PM
How does a Bard have bad MAD issues? You just need high Charisma and probably want an alright Dex and Int. You want Con, sure, but no more than everyone wants Con. You only need one stat above fourteen.
Well a whip tripper bard wants high str and dex too, for trip checks and AC.

I'd likewise be tempted to play a paladin or monk. Ooh, or how about a sorcerer/monk/enlightened fist? 5 way MAD on all but int, and int doesn't hurt.

Jenfrag
2013-03-19, 05:34 PM
Because I love random things, I might start randomly. :P

AuraTwilight
2013-03-19, 05:35 PM
Commoner.

The most AWESOME Commoner.

Seharvepernfan
2013-03-19, 05:50 PM
Commoner.

The most AWESOME Commoner.

HP 8
Init +4
Spd 30ft.
AC 16
Shortspear +4 (thrown +4, 20ft.)
1d6+6 (1d6+4)
F+4, R+4, W+4
Climb +8, Handle Animal +8, Jump +8, Listen +8, Ride +8, Spot +8, Swim +8, Hide +4, Move Silently +4
Mounted Combat, Ride by Attack
x6 shortspears, leather armor, Riding Dog w/leather barding, Light Warhorse w/leather barding

Not too shabby.

An elf would have a mighty composite longbow (+4), a longsword, and a spiked gauntlet.

Amidus Drexel
2013-03-19, 06:04 PM
Exalted: I start with every stat at 18!?

FATE: I start with every stat at 18!?

Our WoD players are going to go nuts over here... :smallamused:

Gavinfoxx
2013-03-19, 06:59 PM
Divine Bard!

It's m-m-m-maaad!

scurv
2013-03-19, 09:26 PM
A Mary sue.

SowZ
2013-03-19, 09:29 PM
Well a whip tripper bard wants high str and dex too, for trip checks and AC.

I'd likewise be tempted to play a paladin or monk. Ooh, or how about a sorcerer/monk/enlightened fist? 5 way MAD on all but int, and int doesn't hurt.

Well, sure, there are Bard builds that are MAD. I could make a Fighter build that needs Wisdom and Charisma on top of the physical stats. But Bard isn't that MAD of a class design.

Hiro Protagonest
2013-03-19, 09:42 PM
A Mary sue.

You need more than all 18s to do that.

Like, max your Diplomacy score at least.

SowZ
2013-03-19, 10:47 PM
You need more than all 18s to do that.

Like, max your Diplomacy score at least.

Also, slap on some really odd templates that don't go together at all. To be eeeven stronger special.

Draz74
2013-03-20, 12:38 AM
The first thing that comes to mind for me is a Swordsage. With a good Intimidate skill, heading for Imperious Command.

There, all 6 ability scores put to good use. :smallamused:

TuggyNE
2013-03-20, 01:13 AM
Also, slap on some really odd templates that don't go together at all. To be eeeven stronger special.

Is there a template that gives you one violet eye and one green, that change colors when your moods shift?

Bogardan_Mage
2013-03-20, 02:21 AM

For D20 Modern I'd go Tough Hero, just for the novelty of being able to run around on fire without taking any damage, at level 8. Level 1 if I can be a Canine Moreau (dalmatian, of course).
For kitchen-sink BRP, probably some variety of Sorcerer, because I'm not letting that 18 POW go to waste.
For Call of Cthulhu it probably doesn't matter. I can use my 18 INT to put "personal interest" ranks into some weapon that lets me use my +1d6 damage bonus, so I'd probably take a profession that gives me Speak Other Language in languages Mythos tomes are usually written in.

Jon_Dahl
2013-03-20, 02:57 AM
Definitely a human fighter.

SowZ
2013-03-20, 03:01 AM
Probably a Paladin, actually. It is the only thing I can think of that gets a significant bonus from every stat.

Sith_Happens
2013-03-20, 03:06 AM
A Warlock, who feeds off the confusion of the other players upon seeing you waste an all-18 array on a class that arguably doesn't need ANY stat.:smallbiggrin:

Mastikator
2013-03-20, 03:08 AM
I'd play some kind of over-the-top superhero who's all like "Truth, Justice and liberty".

Frozen_Feet
2013-03-20, 03:29 AM
I would make a new version of my Bard / Paladin / Sacred Prostitute character. :smalltongue:

nedz
2013-03-20, 05:17 AM
Whatever I wanted.

I'm not being facetious, depending upon the game I would fit the stats to whatever character concept I had in mind. It would be very boring however, some of the best characters I've had, have had a 6 or 7 somewhere.

Reltzik
2013-03-20, 11:23 AM
More seriously, I think a 3.0 psioncist with a Dr. Manhattan attitude.

CarpeGuitarrem
2013-03-20, 12:19 PM
I'm totally onboard with the "random" idea.

Ooooh, if it's a "Donner party" game, go warforged. Highly un-nutritious.

Crazyfailure13
2013-03-20, 12:26 PM
Rogue/Paladin,

Because I could:smallbiggrin:

HunterOfJello
2013-03-20, 12:28 PM
A handsome archivist who fights in melee combat.

Khedrac
2013-03-20, 12:35 PM
For D20 Modern I'd go Tough Hero, just for the novelty of being able to run around on fire without taking any damage, at level 8. Level 1 if I can be a Canine Moreau (dalmatian, of course).
For kitchen-sink BRP, probably some variety of Sorcerer, because I'm not letting that 18 POW go to waste.
For Call of Cthulhu it probably doesn't matter. I can use my 18 INT to put "personal interest" ranks into some weapon that lets me use my +1d6 damage bonus, so I'd probably take a profession that gives me Speak Other Language in languages Mythos tomes are usually written in.

Now I forgot Call of Cthulhu! - and I am playing in a campaign too :/
Hmm, I think the things might avoid are the languages that mythos tomes are written in - help me keep that high sanity slightly longer...

Dusk Eclipse
2013-03-20, 05:49 PM
Our WoD players are going to go nuts over here... :smallamused:

Forget them, Anima Beyond Fantasy players just nerdgasmed to death (In anima the highest possible score is 20 and with disadvantages you can pump most stats to 20 with no problem).

Bogardan_Mage
2013-03-20, 06:26 PM
Now I forgot Call of Cthulhu! - and I am playing in a campaign too :/
Hmm, I think the things might avoid are the languages that mythos tomes are written in - help me keep that high sanity slightly longer...
You've got 90, you may as well use it. *shrug*

Wardog
2013-03-20, 07:37 PM
Half-orc mage/monk.

With those stats, it might not totally suck.

Scow2
2013-03-21, 09:42 AM
I'd go with my Devoted Performer Bard/Paladin.

Fredaintdead
2013-03-21, 09:56 AM
Human Paladin, Fighter or Barbarian with the Shaky flaw.
Feats:
Power Attack, Jotunbrud (Human), Cleave/Extra Rage (Flaw)

Walk around with an oversized sword, smacking things about and laughing. Be as boisterous as possible in the name of justice/good sportsmanship/love of fighting.
Build towards being an Ubercharger. Because your foes will know how awesome and boisterous you are.

Raimun
2013-03-21, 11:58 AM
Some kind of gish.

Or a Lawful Good Fighter who specializes in using a shield with unarmed combat.

CarpeGuitarrem
2013-03-21, 04:12 PM
Forget them, Anima Beyond Fantasy players just nerdgasmed to death (In anima the highest possible score is 20 and with disadvantages you can pump most stats to 20 with no problem).
Tenra Bansho Zero too, where a "really really high" stat is 9. Then again, you can always use kiai to pump your dice pool to ludicrous levels, but still--having 18 dice to throw around on any given roll is pretty sweet.

Doxkid
2013-03-21, 04:31 PM
I be would a simple goat herder.

That is my lifelong dream.

VanIsleKnight
2013-03-22, 01:25 AM
I'd take an Aristocrat NPC class so I can apply templates, be a Giant (0) Young (-1) Half-Fiendish(+1) female Drow with Seducer trait instead of their immunities.

I'd have Drow Nobility as my first feat. I would then proceed to claw my way up through the Underdark, into Lloth's favour, and destroy all that dare cross me. First the Underdark, then the rest of the Mortal Plane, then everywhere else until I can retire as a deity in my own right.

Then I can snuggle with cookies and kitty's for the rest of eternity! :D

I have absolutely no idea what my stats would be at first level after this, but I'd start going cleric as soon as I could since that's what powerful noble Drow women do. I'm assuming some powerful evil outside (divine perhaps) did things in a ritual (or not) to/with my mother. Which would explain the half-fiendish giant bit.

I would be the most terrifying little girl EVER!!:smallcool::smallbiggrin::smalltongue:

EDIT: I made her because I was really, really bored. Didn't know how much starting wealth to throw her way so just gave her a rapier, noble's clothes, and a signet ring. xD

Young, Giant, Half-Fiend Drow Aristocrat

Str 20 (+5)
Dex 26 (+8)
Con 18 (+4)
Int 20 (+5)
Wis 22 (+6)
Cha 24 (+7)

HP 12
AC 22, Flat 14, Touch 18
Fort +4
Ref +8
Will +8
Init +7
BAB 0
2 claw (+5 to hit, 1d4+5 each), 1 bite (+5 to hit, 1d6+5)
rapier (+5 to hit, 1d6+5 18-20)

Skills:
Bluff +11
Diplomacy +11
Intimidate +11
Know:Religion +9
Know:Nobility +9
Perception +12
Profession: Priestess +10
Ride +12
Sense Motive +10

Class Skills:
*Appraise (Int)
*Bluff (Cha)
*Craft (Int)
*Diplomacy (Cha)
*Disguise (Cha)
*Handle Animal (Cha)
*Intimidate (Cha)
*Knowledge (all skills taken individually) (Int)
*Linguistics (Int)
*Perception (Wis)
*Perform (Cha)
*Profession (Wis)
*Ride (Dex)
*Sense Motive (Wis)
*Swim (Str)
*Survival (Wis)

Languages:
Elven
Undercommon
Drow Sign Language
Abyssal
Common
Draconic
Aklo

Natural Armor +4
Superior Darkvision 120 feet perfectly
Immunity to Poison
Resist 10: acid, cold, electricity, fire
DR 5/Magic
SR 12
Fly 15
Smite Good 1/day
(SP)Darkness 4/day
(Su)Dancing Lights 1/day
(Su)Faerie Fire 1/day
(sp)Charm Person 1/day
(sp)Detect magic at will
(sp)Feather fall 1/day
(sp)Levitate 1/day

Poison Use: Skilled in the use of poisons and never risk accidentally poisoning themselves.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: The aristocrat is proficient in the use of all simple and martial weapons and with all types of armor and shields.

Light Blindness: As deep underground dwellers naturally, drow suffer from light blindness. Abrupt exposure to any bright light blinds drow for 1 round. On subsequent rounds, they are dazzled as long as they remain in the affected area.

Seducer: Certain drow possess an innate understanding of the darkest desires that lurk in every heart. drow with this racial trait add +1 to the saving throw DCs for spells and spell-like abilities of the enchantment school.

EQUIPMENT:
Rapier
Noble's outfit
Signet Ring

LibraryOgre
2013-03-22, 01:51 AM
The title covers the most important bit. You're playing a level 1 "Donner party" game and the DM is letting you start with all base 18s and masterwork gear. What would you start as and build towards? For extra giggles, you gain 2 attribute points every 4 levels instead of the standard 1.

Donner Party? Starting at level 1? And assuming I'm going kinda cheesy munchkin?

Warforged. Psion. I don't need to eat, breathe, sleep, or move to use most of my powers.

Jay R
2013-03-22, 09:27 AM
Given that this is an OotS forum, I guess somebody has to suggest a vampiric half-dragon half-troll lycanthropic fiendish snail, who's also phrenic.

Tetsubo 57
2013-03-23, 06:42 AM
I'd play the lottery because it's clearly my lucky day.

If you just rolled all 18s, you *won* the lottery.

Tetsubo 57
2013-03-23, 06:44 AM
Is this Standard D&D or PF? Though I'd probably make the same choice either way. It's just under PF it is a better version: Half-orc Monk, straight 20 level build.