PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Alchemist.exe (Prepping an Android)

Silus
2013-03-19, 05:04 AM
So one of the guys at my local Pathfinder Society is looking at starting a home game to run Rise of the Rune Lords or Shattered Star (Likely Rune Lords though), and I've already got a character in mind.

And here's where I run into a sliiiiiight snag.

Firstly, I need to convince the DM to allow the Android race (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/humanoids/android). Since it's a Bestiary race, there's no alternate race features or favored class options, and it falls into the same "bracket" as Tieflings and Aasimars, which are PFS legal, but I need to figure out how to 100% convince him to allow me to play the Android Alchemist that I've been dying to play since I saw the race.

Next, I need a bit of assistance ironing out the Discoveries and feat progression for the Alchemist. I wanna try to go for a bombing build with eventual flight capability (fluffed as jump-jets that unfold from the android's back). I understand that Smoke, Stinking and Force Bomb Discoveries are almost a must for a bomber spec Alchemist, as is Precise Bombs, so those are already on the list (Though I think Grenadier gets Precise Bombs for free). And I know that most ranged feats are good for bombers (Precise Shot, Point Blank, ect).

Lastly, any must-have magic items that I ought to look at beyond the +Dex, +Dex and +Armor items? We're looking to get up to around lvl 15 for the last part, so I wanna try to at least plan up until that level (and hopefully we can convince the DM to do some modules up to lvl 20 'cause I personally have never played that high).

So, um, thanks in advance? :smallbiggrin:

Keneth
2013-03-19, 05:50 AM
Androids are.... not as fun as they seem, really (YMMV). Plus I wouldn't really like seeing one in Runelords, so I kinda understand if your GM doesn't either.

As for the discoveries and feats, you can get Ability Focus (bomb) (though I'm not sure if it's allowed in PFS), and don't forget that Two-Weapon Fighting line and Rapid Shot can both be used in conjunction with bombs (with Fast Bombs) so that you can dish out some heavy damage. Other than that, it's pretty straightforward.

Theprettiestorc
2013-03-19, 05:58 AM
A portable hole! Everyone should have one. And I'm not joking there, XD.

Otherwise, prep some bombs ahead of time. Get a useful bandolier to pull them out of. Heck, get rods and wands and all sorts of lovely things to use in a pinch.

There's plenty of items out there!

Silus
2013-03-19, 06:17 AM
Androids are.... not as fun as they seem, really (YMMV). Plus I wouldn't really like seeing one in Runelords, so I kinda understand if your GM doesn't either.

Why's that (@ both)? :smallconfused:

Keneth
2013-03-19, 07:00 AM
Why's that (@ both)? :smallconfused:

I played one when Inner Sea Bestiary came out last year and, in spite of my enthusiasm, it just felt out of place. I retired the character less than two months later. I'd be worried that the character might taint the tone of the adventure since Runelords is a very classic "goblins, giants, and evil wizards" kind of story. It would fit great in a campaign set in or around Numeria though. I'm not saying you can't make it work, I let one of my players make a Samsaran character last time I ran the campaign, I'm just saying I would understand the discomfort a GM might feel when a player wants to play a significantly uncommon and/or off-tone race.

Silus
2013-03-19, 05:38 PM
I played one when Inner Sea Bestiary came out last year and, in spite of my enthusiasm, it just felt out of place. I retired the character less than two months later. I'd be worried that the character might taint the tone of the adventure since Runelords is a very classic "goblins, giants, and evil wizards" kind of story. It would fit great in a campaign set in or around Numeria though. I'm not saying you can't make it work, I let one of my players make a Samsaran character last time I ran the campaign, I'm just saying I would understand the discomfort a GM might feel when a player wants to play a significantly uncommon and/or off-tone race.

Do you think there are any Adventure Paths that an Android would not be out of place in?

I was gonna fluff her as an observer for a probability engine somewhere in the Silver Mount, explaining why she's in Varisia of all places (Probability indicates that a large event will happen in Varisia very soon and an observer needs to be in place to record it for the archives). Pick up the Cosmopolitan trait for Linguistics and Knowledge (History), have her talk in semi-jerky sentences and display a lack of emotions or empathy and cold logic (Possibly a Blue/Orange morality instead of Black/White).

Edit: Also should point out that 1) the DM is new to DMing, and 2) he's apparently allowing all the races from the Advanced Race Guide for play.

Keneth
2013-03-20, 08:26 PM
Do you think there are any Adventure Paths that an Android would not be out of place in?

Well, the 12 official adventure paths vary wildly, so some might be more appropriate than others. No adventure paths in Numeria yet, though. I'd say you'll be alright as long as you don't go out of your way to showcase the fact you're an android to every passerby. If the GM is fresh, he might not know how to handle the situation and derailing a scripted campaign for the sake of spotlight is generally a bad idea. That's not to say that it won't derail anyway. My Runelords campaigns always seem to change drastically from what's written in the books, more often than not on account of my unforgiving approach which results in the death of characters...

2) he's apparently allowing all the races from the Advanced Race Guide for play.

I sincerely hope that doesn't include monstrous races. :smallbiggrin:

Silus
2013-03-20, 09:21 PM
Well, the 12 official adventure paths vary wildly, so some might be more appropriate than others. No adventure paths in Numeria yet, though. I'd say you'll be alright as long as you don't go out of your way to showcase the fact you're an android to every passerby. If the GM is fresh, he might not know how to handle the situation and derailing a scripted campaign for the sake of spotlight is generally a bad idea. That's not to say that it won't derail anyway. My Runelords campaigns always seem to change drastically from what's written in the books, more often than not on account of my unforgiving approach which results in the death of characters...

I most of the overt android'ness would come out in combat. Get the Wings Discovery, and instead of bat or bird wings, panels in the Android's back would pop open and jump jets would unfold. Get Fast Bombs and all the little feats that let me full attack with bombs, and instead of tossing flasks, the android rewires itself and now she's got micro-missiles that launch from hidden launchers in the shoulders.

I know that the PF Androids are more...fleshy? than, say, Warfored (like the Alien style Androids), but I keep seeing this character as a mix of Armitage III: Poly Matrix (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXKAsybyIRw) and Blade Runner with a dash of Deus Ex for flavor.

I sincerely hope that doesn't include monstrous races. :smallbiggrin:

Nah, just the written races. Drow, Strix, Aasimar, ect.

Though if he DID allow monster races, I'd make me a Centaur Gunslinger in a heartbeat.

'Cause the image of an armored centaur with a massive rifle, blasting off chunks of rock from Stone Giants is a pretty sweet image IMO.

Keneth
2013-03-20, 10:11 PM
I know that the PF Androids are more...fleshy? than, say, Warfored (like the Alien style Androids)

Yeah, they are, but as long as it's just fluff, it doesn't really matter. Androids are rare and mysterious enough to allow for a good amount of creative liberty.

Though if he DID allow monster races, I'd make me a Centaur Gunslinger in a heartbeat.

I'd allow it. He would draw a lot of attention, but I agreed to let one of my players make a goblin character in chapter 1, where goblins are the main enemies, and that worked out alright. :smallbiggrin:

ect.

Also, this makes me cringe. Please don't misspell latin abbreviations. :smalleek: