PDA

View Full Version : Cost of a Spell Trigger Item with no charge limit

PaladinMark
2013-03-19, 10:30 AM
Hi,

I have a character who is crafting a bunch of equipment for himself. Now basically he would like a staff with no charge limit (say a staff of telekinesis) . Now I know the normal cost for a spell trigger item (like a staff) is Spell level × caster level × 750 gp, while the cost for a use activated item (with no charges per day etc.) is Spell level × caster level × 2,000 gp but that does not require the spell be on your spell list (or no Use Magic Device check) .

So what is a reasonable cost for a Spell Trigger Item with no charge limit, double? Spell level × caster level × 1500 gp? That puts it just below the cost of a command word item Spell level × caster level × 1,800 gp - which is basically the same as a Use Activated Item unless you have a pragmatic DM who watches out for what you say!

Thanks all,

Mark

PaladinMark
2013-03-20, 10:55 AM
I don't know if this is done here, sorry if its not - bump

Gildedragon
2013-03-20, 01:08 PM
You're on the right track. Command word would be the right place to look I think, adding the class restriction (-30%)
this ends up with:

Spell Level x Caster Level x 1260 (1800*.7)

for the cost, and still expending 50x the material and xp costs.

Jeraa
2013-03-20, 01:25 PM
Normally, making an unlimited use item have only 50 charges halves the price, according to the table. So, the reverse should hold true. Making a spell trigger item with no charges limit should double the cost. (To spell level x caster level x 1500gp).

And I think that works fine. A continuous or use-activated item has unlimited charges for x2000gpm and can be used by everyone. A command word activated item with unlimited charges is x1800gp, and can be used by everyone who knows the command word. A spell trigger item with unlimited use would be x1500gp, and can only be used by a limited number of people (who have the spell on their class spell list).

Adding the class restriction probably isn't appropriate. That limits it to one specific class. A spell trigger item can be used by any class with that spell on their spell list. Not quite the same thing.