PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 - Melanism and Albinism

gurgleflep
2013-03-19, 01:16 PM
Hello everybody. First off, thank you for all the help you've given me in the past.

Here's my question:
Is there by chance something for melanism and albinism already made? A template, mutation, spell, or some other form of modification? Thank you for either:
a.) Linking me to a page that's already mentioned this subject
b.) Informing me of a book that contains one or both of these
c.) Creating something for one or both of them.

Amechra
2013-03-19, 03:49 PM
I don't think there is one for either; I don't think the physical benefits or detriments of Albinism or Melanism are enough to cover anything more than a Trait.

Xuldarinar
2013-03-19, 03:58 PM
In terms of Albinism, Im going to reference the book: Drow of the Underdark

We are introduced to the Szarkai, which are Albino Drow. This is what it has to say;
"Albino Drow as Characters
Szarkai have identical game statistics to ordinary drow.-"

Would this cover all cases? I don't know. But its all I got.

Network
2013-03-19, 05:05 PM
I don't think Albino Drow are a good example, as drows already have a weakness in sunlight. Rather, I suggest you make it a trait which actually gives the character that kind of weakness.

If there are legends about albinos in your game world, you may give them a small bonus to one or two skills, but this is more a cultural aspect.

I'm not sure the real-life benefit of melanin should affect in-game behaviors though. In a med-fan game such as D&D, most people stay a long time in sunlight, so skin tone would play a smaller role than in our actual society.

Ashtagon
2013-03-19, 05:10 PM
The only believable effect of melanism would be "marginally more resistant to sunburn". But us dark-skinned folk still overheat just as much as Nordic types. We don't getting fire resistance for it.

Albinism? I can see a case for light sensitivity, but that's about it. Oh, if you're doing point buy, it would make more sense to dump Constitution a little to help justify it. But it's not really flaw-worthy.

Prime32
2013-03-19, 05:24 PM
If there are legends about albinos in your game world, you may give them a small bonus to one or two skills, but this is more a cultural aspect.Or reverse things; if a character has an ability which makes them vulnerable to light, say part of its effect is making them albino.

gurgleflep
2013-03-19, 08:44 PM
It seems everywhere I go, I'm getting pointed to the Drow of the Underdark book. Vril is one of the more recent subjects brought up.

Also, I did a quick google search of "D&D 3.5 albino" and came across a template - It's homebrew funnily enough.

“Albino” is an inherited template that can be added to any living, corporeal creature (referred to hereafter as the base creature) with the exception of plants, oozes, and constructs. An albino uses all the base creature’s statistics and special abilities except as noted here.

Sun Vulnerability (Ex): Because of their lack of skin pigmentation albinos are more susceptible to the affects of the sun. If an albino is in direct sunlight without some sort skin protection he begins to suffer the affects of sunburn similar to the affects described on page 18 of Sandstorm but at a faster rate.
After one hour of unprotected direct skin expositor to the sun the albino takes 1 point of non-lethal damage. If the albino remains in the sun unprotected he will take an additional 2D6 points of non-lethal damage each hour until he finds some sort of protection from the sun’s rays. When a character falls unconscious from this non-lethal damage, he must make a Constitution check every hour he remains unconscious in the sun (DC 10 + hours unconscious). If he fails the save he drops to –1 hit points and is dying.
If an albino is exposed to a daylight spell or similar light based affect he takes half the damage an undead creature would for the initial round of expositor only.

Light Sensitivity (Ex): Because of the lack of pigmentation in the irises of an albino’s eyes bright lights cause them to become dazzled. When in sunlight or in the radius of a daylight spell albinos take a –1 penalty on attack rolls, Spot checks, and Search checks. This penalty stacks with all other applicable penalties.

Albino Sight (Ex): Albinos suffer damage to their eyesight because of a lifetime of exposure to daylight as well as a genetic defect to the optic nerve. A player must chose either farsighted or nearsighted for their character at time of creation. Once the choice has been made it cannot be changed. An albino character cannot be both nearsighted and farsighted. Nearsighted gives an albino a +1 bonus to Search checks but a –1 penalty to Spot checks. Farsighted gives albinos a –2 penalty to Search checks but a +1 bonus to Spot checks. If the base creature has darkvision he may also be Nightsighted in addition to having one of the above conditions. Nightsighted adds 10 ft. to the range of a character’s darkvision but imposes a –1 penalty to Spot checks when in bright light. The penalties and bonuses stack with all other applicable modifiers.

Magic/Psionic Aptitude (Sp): Albinos in the Dungeons and Dragons setting have innate magical and psionic aptitudes. For the purpose of determining bonus spells, bonus power points, and the saving throw DCs treat the albino’s primary spellcasting/psionic ability score as 2 points higher than it’s actual value. This doses not result in actual increase of the key ability score. If the albino has more than one spellcasting/psionic class, the bonus applies to only one of those classes.

Albino Wild Shape (Su): If the albino has levels in a class that grants him the Wild Shape supernatural ability the character’s new form is still an albino and is subject to the above conditions. Feathers, fur, and scales negate the effects of the Sun Vulnerability ability the same way protective clothing would. The albino traits do not apply when the character has Wild Shaped into an elemental because they are made of an element not flesh and bone.

SOURCES:
NOAH (NOAH - The National Organization for Albinism and Hypopigmentation)
Unearthed Arcana pg. 87, 89
Sandstorm pg. 18
Monster Manual 3.5 pg. 161 (Kobold entry)
Player’s Handbook 3.5 pg. 307
Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting pg. 38

Do you guys think this would work? I don't like the near/far sighted bit, but other than that it seems pretty interesting.
I also don't see an LA.

Getsugaru
2013-03-19, 08:54 PM
Only time I've seen Albinism in d&d was in Serpent Kingdoms; it was on a Sarrukh. All I remember was it was on the page that had a picture of the Sarrukh: He was basically a snake with arms, had a white underside, green back, and a pair of wings. Sorry, I don't have the book on hand, otherwise I'd just post what it said...:smallfrown:

gurgleflep
2013-03-19, 09:00 PM
Only time I've seen Albinism in d&d was in Serpent Kingdoms; it was on a Sarrukh. All I remember was it was on the page that had a picture of the Sarrukh: He was basically a snake with arms, had a white underside, green back, and a pair of wings. Sorry, I don't have the book on hand, otherwise I'd just post what it said...:smallfrown:

A friend of mine has that book, they live right down the road. I'll look it up when I get over there. Thank you :smallsmile:

umbrapolaris
2013-03-19, 11:18 PM
My favorite and only heard albino is Elric of Melniboné

He has weak body sustained via herbs or by the soulstealing ability of his nefarious sword Stormbringer

Xuldarinar
2013-03-20, 01:30 AM

He has weak body sustained via herbs or by the soulstealing ability of his nefarious sword Stormbringer

I've never met anyone who doesn't like the character, that has heard of him. I've met far too many who haven't heard of him, which annoys me to no end. When I meet people, I tend to get asked if the name Elric comes from full metal alchemist. Last time I must have given the guy quite the look because he apologized and then asked where it was from.

Speaking of Elric of Melnibone, might want to take a look at this (http://www.angelfire.com/games4/doctorwhoeyespy/d20elric.html). Its interesting.

hamishspence
2013-03-20, 04:34 AM
I think in Elder Evils- there's stats for a group of albino humans - Cyntidians (something like that) - they get light vulnerability.

Xuldarinar
2013-03-20, 10:58 AM
I think in Elder Evils- there's stats for a group of albino humans - Cyntidians (something like that) - they get light vulnerability.

Yeah, your right. Never noticed them before.

Cynidiceans: Use human racial features, add low-light vision and light sensitivity.

If we use them as a precedent, then any albino gains those traits.

Bastian Weaver
2013-03-20, 11:27 AM
There was also an albino in David Gemmell's Legend book, Serbitar of the Thirty. If I remember correctly, he used his psychic powers to support his frail body. It also changed his eye color from pink to green.

gurgleflep
2013-03-20, 12:57 PM

I've never met anyone who doesn't like the character, that has heard of him. I've met far too many who haven't heard of him, which annoys me to no end. When I meet people, I tend to get asked if the name Elric comes from full metal alchemist. Last time I must have given the guy quite the look because he apologized and then asked where it was from.

Speaking of Elric of Melnibone, might want to take a look at this (http://www.angelfire.com/games4/doctorwhoeyespy/d20elric.html). Its interesting.

Elric of Melnibone? I'm sorry to say - to both of you - that I've not heard of him. If he's in a book, I would gladly pick up the series. I enjoy reading :smallsmile:

Yeah, your right. Never noticed them before.

Cynidiceans: Use human racial features, add low-light vision and light sensitivity.

If we use them as a precedent, then any albino gains those traits.

Do either of you know what page they can be located on? I've not got the book on me, but I can jot it down really quickly

gurgleflep
2013-03-20, 12:58 PM
There was also an albino in David Gemmell's Legend book, Serbitar of the Thirty. If I remember correctly, he used his psychic powers to support his frail body. It also changed his eye color from pink to green.

I've not heard of this book, so I'll have to look it up. Thank you for bringing it up :smallbiggrin:

Xuldarinar
2013-03-20, 01:07 PM
Elric of Melnibone? I'm sorry to say - to both of you - that I've not heard of him. If he's in a book, I would gladly pick up the series. I enjoy reading

Do either of you know what page they can be located on? I've not got the book on me, but I can jot it down really quickly

Its a good book series, i'd recommend picking it up. Michael Moorcock is the author, if that helps at all.

Elder Evils, pg 146.

Oh and, speaking of Elric of Melnibone, look at this (http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=33187)

gurgleflep
2013-03-20, 01:11 PM
Its a good book series, i'd recommend picking it up. Michael Moorcock is the author, if that helps at all.

Elder Evils, pg 146.

Thank you and thank you.
I don't know if you've read it yet, but the Cleric's Quintet is a good series, it's another of R.A. Salvatore's. I've only just began!

Alias
2013-03-20, 01:17 PM
What's next, flaw (blonde), -1 to intelligence, +1 to charisma? Or trait (blue eyed)??

Neither of these conditions warrants game mechanics.

hamishspence
2013-03-20, 01:21 PM
In the case of animals known to be commonly melanistic (such as leopards) - I could see, for example, a small bonus to Hide checks in low levels of light.

Xuldarinar
2013-03-20, 01:31 PM
What's next, flaw (blonde), -1 to intelligence, +1 to charisma? Or trait (blue eyed)??

Neither of these conditions warrants game mechanics.

Here (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002450/)

I fail to see how albinism is analogous to blonde hair or blue eyes. Only stereotypes that would pertain only to humans. Blue eyes might be slightly more sensitive than other eye colors but not enough for it to play a role mechanically.

gurgleflep
2013-03-20, 01:33 PM
In the case of animals known to be commonly melanistic (such as leopards) - I could see, for example, a small bonus to Hide checks in low levels of light.

How much of a bonus are we talking? It'd probably depend on its size.

hamishspence
2013-03-20, 01:48 PM
Creatures already get size penalties to Hide- I figure something flat, maybe a +2 bonus- +4 at most- could work.

gurgleflep
2013-03-20, 01:54 PM
Here (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002450/)

I fail to see how albinism is analogous to blonde hair or blue eyes. Only stereotypes that would pertain only to humans. Blue eyes might be slightly more sensitive than other eye colors but not enough for it to play a role mechanically.

Thank you for the link - even though it wasn't directed towards me - I'm going to learn a bit more about this.

Creatures already get size penalties to Hide- I figure something flat, maybe a +2 bonus- +4 at most- could work.

Sounds pretty reasonable, thank you :smallsmile:

hamishspence
2013-03-20, 01:59 PM
Depending on the background- might even rule that certain creatures get a penalty to Hide.

Melanistic desert snake, for example.

Though that might be more a general thing for DMs to do when they think appropriate.

gurgleflep
2013-03-20, 02:27 PM
Depending on the background- might even rule that certain creatures get a penalty to Hide.

Melanistic desert snake, for example.

Though that might be more a general thing for DMs to do when they think appropriate.

Thank you for all the input on this, you're pretty helpful.

"Hey, what's that black squiggle, off in the distance?"
"Uh... I think it's a snake..."
"What's it doing?"
"Trying to hide. And failing."
"Yup....
Okay, let's keep going."

Xuldarinar
2013-03-20, 02:31 PM
Thank you for all the input on this, you're pretty helpful.

"Hey, what's that black squiggle, off in the distance?"
"Uh... I think it's a snake..."
"What's it doing?"
"Trying to hide. And failing."
"Yup....
Okay, let's keep going."

Melanism: Bonus to hide against dark colored surfaces. Penalty to hide against light colored surfaces.

Albinism: Bonus to hide against light colored surfaces. Penalty to hide against dark colored surfaces.

hamishspence
2013-03-20, 02:44 PM
"At night" might qualify as a kind of dark-coloured surface.

Maybe not on the icecap though.

Network
2013-03-20, 04:50 PM
Blue eyes might be slightly more sensitive than other eye colors but not enough for it to play a role mechanically.
Scientifically speaking, they aren't ''slightly more sensitive''. There is plenty of melanin behind the surface layer of the iris. This plays a much greater role than the actually visible eye color, and therefore, blue eyes are just as much sensitive as brown eyes... unless you're an albino, in which case your eye doesn't have this second layer.