PDA

View Full Version : To Stand in Triumph (Exalted, IC)

Maugan Ra
2013-03-19, 01:58 PM
In the depths of the Demon City, there is a building known as the Conventicle Maleficent. Formed of verdigris-covered brass and fire-blackened bone, it looms over the surrounding districts, dwarfing any construction ever shaped by mortal hands. It is a city within a city, an infernal wonder of space-warping architecture and unearthly beauty, and only the mightiest and most important of Hell's denizens are allowed within.

It is here that the Infernal Exalted meet, on those occasions when their masters require them to gather in number or their own plans force them to seek the aid of their peers. The Court of the Althing lies in the centre, or as close to it as can be determined in a place where geometry is so malleable, but that is not the only location within the Conventicle designed for important meetings. Not every gathering requires the use of a full amphitheater, after all, and some would find their purpose hindered by taking place on such a public stage.

For this particular meeting, a simple side-chamber has been deemed sufficient. It is bare and unadorned - little more than a hollow cube of tainted brass, a solitary door providing egress to the rest of the building, but that in no way detracts from the majesty and power of the four being within. Three of them are Infernal Exalted, perhaps the mightiest and most potent from among their number, certainly the most infamous. The fourth is their patron, the one from whom their kind take their names.

"Greetings, Chosen." Ligier says, in a voice that, though subdued, still rings with authority and primordial might. The Heart of Malfeas wears his human form for this meeting, that of a auburn-haired nobleman of incredible physical beauty, and his emerald robes hang open to expose a perfectly sculpted torso. "You know why you have been summoned."

Mechanix
2013-03-19, 03:24 PM
She stood tall and proud, but her mind was in two places at once. In one she was Echidona, the Barbarian Queen: golden jaguar fur hanging over her shoulders, scarred bronzed features defiant even before a being of such terrible might. In the other she was Echidona, the Bird of Doom, flying outside the Conventicle, taking in the breathtaking wonder and horro of the Demon City. She felt uncomfortable cut off from her duplicates in Creation, but at least even here she was still two.

Ligier was a terrible sight indeed, a demon with the force of a Primordial behind him. He impressed her - he always had. Long ago, she even feared him, feared his terrible presence and the threat of his wrath. But fear was a disease, which she had cut out from her heart with the tools of She Who Lives in Her Name, and now while she felt respect and amazement at his strength, she did not fear him. If they were here to be punished, then things would go badly.

"I can hazard a guess, my lord, but would like to hear it from you. I have not been accustomed to secret meetings and whispered words, so let us spare the pretty words and adress the matter directly."

Zaydos
2013-03-19, 07:36 PM
Mikado stood head held high and outwardly impassive. Is this fear? I'd have thought our creators were not so easily scared, he thought as he looked at the Green Sun. Ligier was one of the demons that Mikado honestly respected, he was powerful but also capable of creating things of wondrous beauty and self-discipline, he had not expected such fear from him.

He heard the barbarian speak and waited to see how Ligier would respond. He hoped that his worries were not justified and that the creators knew enough to seize a perfect opportunity when they had one.

Maugan Ra
2013-03-19, 08:04 PM
"You have taken a step that none thought possible." Ligier says, his face impassive. "It was expected that you might refine and enhance aspects of your own power, and that such changes would feed back into the overall structure of the Yozi. This was considered beneficial. But you have gone further... you have begun to define yourselves. And now it must be decided what is to be done in response..

The Green Sun pauses, and looks at you all with evaluating eyes, as though you were raw materials on his forge. "The Ravine of Whispers desires to swallow you. The End of All Wisdom believes you commit Heresy, and deserve annihilation." he says levelly. "That which Calls to Shadows, by contrast, wishes to embrace you as kin, and a great many call for your study, with varying degrees of concern for your survival. Many more reserve judgement, or simply fail to care."

"A decision has yet to be reached, either by any Yozi or Hell as an entirety." There is another, longer pause, and then a small glimmer of approval enters Ligier's eyes. "I believe you are building something wondrous, each of you. And an architect should not be ignored when it comes to deciding the fate of his works. Therefore, I have arranged for an opportunity where you may present your own case."

Mechanix
2013-03-19, 08:21 PM
There was a hint of relief in Echidona's eyes, and she bowed courteously towards the greater demon. "I thank you for this vote of confidence, my lord. I have never desired to turn against the Yozi; but evolution has always been my goal. If given this chance to argue for my cause, I will show that these evolutions are both inevitable and profitable." She paused, looking around her at her two silent companions. It seemed she had been the only one to dare speak so far; as suited her queenly station. If they were to appear before the Yozi, she would make a damn fine show of it. There was fine in her eyes when she adressed them: "Let us speak loud, and begin a new legend for all of Malfeas."

Zaydos
2013-03-19, 08:32 PM
"I cannot speak for the others, but I had reached the pinnacle that I could ascend to within reforging myself into something new. Even so the enemies that remain in Creation were too much. The rebellious Sun, the witch-moon, the Maidens and their Chosen still stand to oppose the return of Creation's makers and their hold on Yu-Shan was still too much to be torn down with the power I had available. The Laws of Hell give justice to the strongest, so to obtain justice I had to find some way to become stronger than I already was so that next time I could cast down the forces of Heaven and send them falling and sprawling to their knees before the forces of the Reclamation. I have done only what I find necessary to destroy the forces of Heaven that have twice thwarted my plans, and allow me to further spread the influence of Hell over Creation to make the world that we need," Mikado says his head held high, his hair and eyes turning the color of the Green Sun. He continues looking at Ligier with an unflinching gaze, his voice losing its impassiveness to reflect a certain amount of self-pride, "What I have done I have done to further the goals of the Reclamation. Long have I spread the cult of Cecelyne, long have I labored to create an empire in the East that would serve the Lords of Hell well. I would not seen that work thrown away because I lacked the power to protect it, so I seized at the potential for that power when it showed itself. If I had done less it would have proven me a coward too weak willed to be of use to our cause."

The_Snark
2013-03-27, 04:58 AM
The diffuse light of a poisonous sun beats down against thick swathes of dark cloth, blurring the outline of the figure beneath it. The cloak doesn't hide who she is; not here, now now, facing the Yozis and the unquestionable. That would be pointless. Yet habit is hard to break, and Marat Lesh has worn such garments long enough that no citizen of the Demon City will question it. Indeed, many recognize her by her garb. She bears no brazen declarations of her identity - not openly - but word seeps out nonetheless. To change her ways now would invite question.

She holds back while the others speak, studying Ligier carefully. Oh yes, there is danger in this meeting today, as she'd suspected when she received the summons. Her masters do not like surprises. Marat Lesh understands; in their place she would be wary too, and rightfully so. But of course she cannot say this, and to lie openly to the Unquestionable is dangerous, so she lets the others (bolder and more foolish) speak for her. She still can't decide if it is good luck or bad that she is not alone in this undertaking. Good that she has potential allies if the Yozis turn against them, but if not for them, perhaps she wouldn't have been discovered at all...

"The Yozis have always cared more for our results than our methods, Lord Ligier," she notes at last, her voice quiet on the heels of the other two. "I do not see why that should change now. I accepted their bargain long ago, power in exchange for service. That has not changed. I owe what I have always owed."

"But it isn't you we should be convincing, is it." She is careful to keep any hint of presumption or insult out of her words. It's just a fact; Ligier is one of the great luminaries of Hell, but even he will bow to the Yozis if they deign to speak. Unless... "Do you mean for us to present our case to a council, or is this a private audience only?"

Maugan Ra
2013-03-27, 05:57 AM
Ligier inclines his head fractionally in acknowledgement. "Indeed. Though it would be more accurate to say that it is not I alone whom you must convince. A council is to be convened seven days hence, where you shall present yourselves to the Yozi, and They shall render judgement. All of them, not merely those of the Reclamation."

The Green Sun pauses for a moment before continuing, as though to allow the truth of that to sink into your minds. "The preceding week is given to you to use as you wish, that you might assemble your case and present preliminary arguments to the Third Circle, and so render the oversoul favourably disposed towards you. To facilitate this, by Dictate of the Endless Desert, you are raised in the eyes of the Law to the status of Unquestionable."

And with that one sentence, you are elevated above the teeming billions all around you, above even your former peers in the Althing. And yet Ligier treats it as a mere formality - a powerful indication indeed of how seriously the Heirarchy of Hell is taking this situation. "Should you wish to present an argument to me, now, you may do so. For I have only decided thus far that you are deserving of such a chance - I make no promises about my decision, or that of my Lord Malfeas."

Mechanix
2013-03-27, 10:56 PM
"My Liege," Echidona said proudly and stepped forward, kneeling in front of the demon. A sign of reverence, but also a sign that she was about to talk, and talk of grave matters; she stood up, fire in her eyes.
I will not speak of my loyalty. I will not say that, far from simply abstaining from betrayal, I have spread the worship of Cecelyne to my kingdom, risking the ire of all who surrounded me. I will not speak of my numerous fights and wars along my Infernal brethrens to defend the cause of Malfeas and the Unquestionable. All this you know already. My argument is else.
I have been into the Underworld where demons and Yozis dread to venture. I have opened the tomb of dead Mardukth myself, and I have pulled his Charms. When I did so, all told me it was blasphemy, all told me it was madness; I was almost deemed a betrayer for spoiling the grave of their brethrens.
But I spoiled nothing. Instead, I retrieved those Charms that had been lost forever. I retrieved the power, the essence, the being of Mardukth. Of the dead Primordial I drew the substance and wrote it again upon the cosmos. With this deed, I have proven what the Yozis so desperately hoped was true, but feared was not: that they are truly immortal. Beyond death Mardukth lingers, and now he lives through me. I have made him reborn, and shown the universe that a Primordial can never die.
There can be no greater proof of my loyalty, no surer test of my trustworthiness."

Bold words for a bold woman; people still in Malfeas resented her actions, calling it base grave-digging; but she trusted that Ligier would understand.

Maugan Ra
2013-03-28, 03:22 AM
"The Gods and their Chosen served with perfect loyalty and great skill before their betrayal." Ligier says levelly.

"As to your other arguments... I have worked Soulsteel and Starmetal. Would you say this proves my loyalty to gods or ghosts?"

His tone is neutral, or as close to it as the Feitch of Malfeas ever gets - no hint of approval nor condemnation in his words.

Zaydos
2013-03-28, 10:00 AM
"Glorious Sun of the Demon Realm whose Light Pierces all Things," Mikado begins, "I will not try to proclaim my loyalty. As you have stated, loyalty is fickle and the servant who is loyal one day may betray the next. I will not prattle on about my love for you and my accomplishments in your name. No, I will speak of hatred. You remember the fool I was as a mortal. The fear and hatred I felt for the hell realms. Even then I sold myself to destroy one hated by me. My capacity for hatred has not decreased, in fact as I grow in age it has increased. The cursed chosen of Mars, and his detestable allies in Yu-Shan have thwarted me twice, and destroyed what I have created. I am not a craftsman of metal, but I still create. I craft civilizations, as you once helped craft the world. So as a fellow craftsman I ask you, can a craftsman feel any hatred more deep than towards the one that destroys what he makes for no reason other than to destroy it? I will destroy your enemies, glorious one, I will remake Creation as a second hell, and I will release the Yozi from their tombs. I do not guarantee these things with loyalty, but with selfishness. Your enemies are my enemies. Recreating Creation would enrage them, hurt them as nothing else would, and I will admit is an interesting prospect. And I am no traitor god, to forget what gratitude I owe; even if I was I want to see the world of the freed Yozi. Regardless I lack the power to contemplate such a betrayal. It would be useless to me, leaving what I have worked to create and preserve to be destroyed. It would end all I desire. The Yozi will find me still their useful tool. I seek power, because without it our enemies will triumph. I will not allow that."

Mikado finishes standing, unbowed, his green eyes looking towards Ligier.

Mechanix
2013-03-28, 04:11 PM
"These are two different things, my lord. The Charms of the Yozi, their powers are their very essence made manifest. Once one has unlocked these secrets, it becomes possible to refine oneself in the image of the Primordial, until we are alike. While I do not intend to do this myself, should I have a pupil, a student, or an heir - they could once again become like great Mardukth himself. In this way, the unending wounds of the Primordial War would be closed at last. This is my gift of fealty; this is my token of alliegance.

Consider: would I have come here today had I intended betrayal? Would have I not been safer in my pyramid-palace, at the heart of my Eastern empire, surrounded by Dragon-Blooded and warriors? Yet I came here and present myself in front of you, without my legions, without my sisters; nothing but myself." She breathed slowly, looking at her hands; the creeping shadow cast by the lights danced wickedly on the wall.

"Understand my plight, my lord. To retrieve the glory of Mardukth and give it back to the Demon City's rulers, I have had to internalize the teachings of the Ebon Dragon. I am a witness to darkness, and hated for it:my lies sound like truth and my truth sounds like lies, and it is a constant battle to earn trust and loyalty through my personal charisma rather than through deceitful words. But you know better, my liege; you can pierce through this cloak of shadows and read me, and know that what I say is truth."

Maugan Ra
2013-03-28, 04:32 PM
"That was your token, Echidona of the Beasts." Ligier says, his voice resonant with warning. "And you would have been no safer in your palace, surrounded by armies. Had you thought to hide there in defiance of our will, I would have gone myself to bring you back. Speak not to me of what it means to be a Yozi, for you do not yet know, and should you fail to display more wisdom in future you may never get the chance to learn."

The Green Sun's voice never rises above a calm conversational level, nor does he make any motion in your direction, and yet the contempt displayed could have hardly been more obvious had he slapped you. He turns to Mikado.

"You, I believe. You have given me your reasons for taking this step, explained your motivations in ways the Yozi will understand, and conveyed your future intentions knowing that we would approve. I speak not for my peers nor my greater self, Mikado called Demon Emperor, but you have my approval... for now."

Mechanix
2013-03-28, 04:49 PM
Echidona opened her mouth, preparing to talk back in anger, arguing - how could he come back to Creation? With all demons sealed into hell, with Solars and Abyssals and Terrestrials and Lunars all over the world opposed to the designs of the Yozis, she could have... But this was pointless. She swallowed back her pride, letting it burn her from the inside.

"Then I have nothing more to say, my Lord, if you seem so intent on mistrusting me for the very reason I ask for trust. You believe a man who speaks only of hatred and fury, and you reject a woman who speaks of rebuilding and reviving what was lost? You call yourself a crafter, but I see that you speak for the fires of Malfeas's hatred. Very well. I shall find others not so blind as to think drowning Creation in vitriol will soothe the Yozi's suffering."

Zaydos
2013-04-01, 09:44 AM
"Thank you, lord Ligier," Mikado says, "My eyes have been lamentably elsewhere from the politics of Hell for some time, so I will ask of your superior wisdom in these matters, to which Unspeakable do you think I'd do best to take my case next?"

Maugan Ra
2013-04-02, 09:07 AM
"I might advise speaking with Erembour, or one of her kin. She already leans in your favour, but it is not in the habit of her progenitor to offer such aid freely. It is likely she will expect recompense - discovering precisely what may be a worthy goal."