PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Find or Build a System

Chainsaw Hobbit
2013-03-19, 03:30 PM
So, I've been planning for this game set in an overlapping alternate universe similar to Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere. The central characters would be magic-wielding assassins, and the game would focus on stealth and cunning, in the tradition of Dishonored.

Is there a relatively simple system that could handle this? A modified Apocalypse World could maybe work ...

mjlush
2013-03-21, 08:31 AM
So, I've been planning for this game set in an overlapping alternate universe similar to Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere. The central characters would be magic-wielding assassins, and the game would focus on stealth and cunning, in the tradition of Dishonored.

Is there a relatively simple system that could handle this? A modified Apocalypse World could maybe work ...

I think I'd be inclined to suggest GURPS yes I know thats what everyone suggests but hear me out :smallsmile:

I rather suspect what you want is a nice crunchy character generation system so the players can create cool, detailed and most important distinct characters. Then when play starts throw away all the GURPS rules except "roll 3d6" and cut down version of how to do damage.

The thing is that in a stealthy and cunning campaign its going to be very skill heavy, everyone is going to max out their 'hide/sneak' skill (and rightly so) so everyone needs second, third, or even forth string to their bow to give themselves a role in the team. Something skill heavy would help with that.

paddyfool
2013-03-21, 09:12 AM
FATE, maybe with due selection of stuff from the Dresden Files game, or with a look at the new magic rules in FATE core?

puctheplayfull
2013-04-02, 11:34 AM
GURPS would be a good system for it, and if you want something a little less clunky but just as customizable, you could look at Mutants and Masterminds. If you want to go more on the rules light/story heavy side, I'd agree with Paddyfool, and say FATE is the system for you.

Fighter1000
2013-04-02, 12:08 PM
If I were you, I would just create my own system of rules. This way, you don't have to worry about dealing with a rule that you don't like and/or think is stupid or overly-complicated. Homebrew it up I say!

puctheplayfull
2013-04-02, 01:59 PM
Fighter1000 makes a very good point, you could just homebrew a system that does exactly what you want. The key is in conflict resolution. When you start figuring how to roll for skills, combat and the like, remember that with any task of average difficulty for a PC of power level x (regardless of how you measure PC strength/power/level), they should have about a 50% chance of success, with harder tasks reducing that percentage, and easier tasks increasing it. As long as you take that into account as you determine power/level progression and rolling systems, it will remain challenging and engaging at any level of play.

That still leaves you with designing the system if you wanted to go that route, and there are a lot of resources on line, and even on this forum for doing just that. It's a daunting process, but it can be quite rewarding. Also, if you are playing a system you designed, you don't have to learn anything new.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-04-02, 02:51 PM
I would not try to write my own system, as that tends to be a lot of work, and the first few games wind up with tons of mechanical distractions as everyone tries to figure out how the rules should work. It's a fun exercise, sure, but I wouldn't do it unless you're sure there's nothing that you can make work.

I'll second the Dresden Files RPG as a good way to do this-- the magic system's pretty solid without overshadowing mundanes, and FATE's always good for roleplaying and non-combat solutions. M&M is good if you want to get into the quirky powers aspects of Dishonored, but is very cinematic/high-power.

Grinner
2013-04-02, 02:56 PM
There's also WitchCraft. I think the core rulebook can be downloaded free of charge, and it's based on Unisystem, one of the simpler game systems around.