PDA

View Full Version : Dabbler Feat (PEACH)

ericgrau
2013-03-19, 04:04 PM
I came up with this feat for those who are bored when playing magic free mundanes and want to sneak in a little magic. And because thematically it satisfies a classic part of fantasy that I love.

Dabbler
You were clever or mischievous enough to have gotten your hands on a spellbook and to more or less figure out how to use it.

Prerequisites: Int 15, spellcraft 1 rank, character level 5, access to a spellbook containing wizard spells

Benefit: You may prepare and cast wizard spells as if you were a 1st level wizard. You do not learn how to scribe spells into a spellbook and must use one or more spellbooks that someone else has written. You must make a DC 15 + spell level spellcraft check to do so as a wizard would each time for each spell (limit 1 try per day), or use read magic which lets you understand the spell forever. Most dabblers take a 10 on the spellcraft check. Whenever you gain a level, your effective wizard level for the purpose of preparing spells increases by 2, up to a limit of your character level minus 4. Thus a character who selects this feat after level 5 may catch up. You do not gain any new spells when you gain a level and must continue to find spell books.

You may also use wizard spells from wands and staffs if you make a DC 15 spellcraft check each time you cast. A natural 1 is not a failure, as long as you still make the check. You may cast spells from scrolls normally, without a check, provided that you decipher the scroll beforehand as a wizard would: using read magic or a DC 20 + spell level spellcraft check.

If you can cast wizard spells via another means, the spellcasting is not cumulative. Use the higher of the two effective wizard levels wherever both apply. A mystic theurge is still limited to an effective level 4 levels below his character level, unless he could attain a higher level without this feat.

Zero grim
2013-03-19, 04:12 PM
I like the sound of it, you would be most likely a level 6 character by the time you acquire it and at that point 1st level spells are mainly utility stuff you can grab with feats anyway.

it might be a touch on the powerful side but that all depends on how much gold/effort you spend on getting a good spell book.