PDA

View Full Version : Wizard as Cleric

tricktroller
2013-03-19, 04:05 PM
Ok folks so for fun I wrote up a Wizard who heals. Since it is not dc dependent We will go with a 14 Wis starting out on point buy.

Stats
Str 8
Dex 14
Con 14
Int 16
Wis 14
Cha 8

Flaws
Noncombatant

Feats
Wizard Scribe Scroll
1st Arcane Disciple Healing
Human Spontaneous Healer
Flaw Augment Healing
3rd Touch of Healing
5th Craft Wand
6th Fiery Burst
9th Minor Shapeshift
10th Craft Wondrous Item
12th Craft Staff

He takes the Transmutation domain ACF

Beyond that I have no idea. He gets to cast 3 heals a day at 1st level which should be about as much as a cleric of the healing domain. He can cast fewer actual heals later on in level but he can make all sorts of staves and wands and scrolls to supplement.

Theprettiestorc
2013-03-19, 04:08 PM
Problem is, you're doing Spellcraft checks to use anything divine.

If you've got wizardly healing spells, you're good, though. X3

tricktroller
2013-03-19, 04:11 PM
see arcane disciple Healing domain. I get the healing domain spells on my spell list. Therefore I can use wands scrolls staves etc.

Urpriest
2013-03-19, 05:32 PM
Spontaneous Healer doesn't actually help you all that much here, since you still can't prepare or cast more than one Healing Domain spell of each level as per Arcane Disciple. I guess it would let you avoid preparing them to still activate the reserve feat though.

Jeff the Green
2013-03-19, 06:04 PM
Couldn't you take Archmage the last five levels to get heal 4/day and mass heal 6/day in exchange for two level-6 and three level-9 spell slots?

gorfnab
2013-03-19, 06:20 PM
Combat Medic prestige class - Heroes of Battle

KillingAScarab
2013-03-19, 11:47 PM
Sometime after finding the comic, but well before I ever started reading the forums, I came across a Livejournal account with a fairly reasonable argument for allowing wizards to cast healing spells (rpg-crank.livejournal.com/2388.html). There were also some homebrew 3.0 transmutation spells linked from a comment (rather than edited into the body of the post) and an evocation spell which accomplished healing. The post includes one homebrew 3.5 divination spell to aid with heal checks.

This is so old, mind you, there are a number of downsides built-in. Also, there aren't any subschools or descriptors. Finally, I believe the vigor line of spells introduced with Complete Divine accomplish a mixture of what blood of trolls and timeheal do without being nearly as restrictive. Still quite inventive for their day, though. If you get something like timeheal 1 approved by a DM, you're healing from first level... in much the same manner as a 2nd edition priest. I think I would seek a DM ruling allowing you to cast the vigor line, so you can cast before all your foes start targeting the squishy healer. I don't know of a domain which would grant them to you.

Telonius
2013-03-20, 12:43 AM
Polymorph Any Object, turn all your friends into Warforged, and use the Repair line? :smallbiggrin:

Silvanoshei
2013-03-20, 01:32 AM
Polymorph Any Object, turn all your friends into Warforged, and use the Repair line? :smallbiggrin:

Win. :redcloak:

tricktroller
2013-03-20, 09:21 AM
More looking for this character to be useful from level 1. Polymorph any object is a bit out of range at level 1 without extreme cheese.

KillingAScarab
2013-03-21, 12:46 AM
I haven't found a domain, yet, to give access to the vigor line of spells, but I have found another reason to seek access. You can get more healing from a wand of lesser vigor (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206195) than you can from a wand of cure light wounds. If there is no such domain and researching an arcane version is out, can you spare one level for cleric or druid?

Slipperychicken
2013-03-21, 01:20 AM
Summon a creature which can heal.

BoED spell (celestial companion?) It's Sanctified and gives you a freakin' unicorn for a year. Unicorns can heal people a few times per day. Also, since it's a Sanctified spell, you don't need to learn it -any Good-aligned prepared caster can prepare it.

EDIT:
From Pathfinder, Infernal Healing (sorc/wiz 1) is basically Lesser Vigor. It's also an [Evil] spell, but once you can stop crying about it's possible effect on your alignment, it's actually a great spell. So yeah, shoot for a wand of that, because you won't need UMD to activate it.

Jeff the Green
2013-03-21, 01:23 AM
I haven't found a domain, yet, to give access to the vigor line of spells, but I have found another reason to seek access. You can get more healing from a wand of lesser vigor (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206195) than you can from a wand of cure light wounds. If there is no such domain and researching an arcane version is out, can you spare one level for cleric or druid?

Or UMD.

Summon a creature which can heal.

BoED spell (celestial companion?) It's Sanctified and gives you a freakin' unicorn for a year. Unicorns can heal people a few times per day. Also, since it's a Sanctified spell, you don't need to learn it -any Good-aligned prepared caster can prepare it.

Actually, any non-evil.