PDA

View Full Version : [PF] NPC mage-like class?

Sylthia
2013-03-19, 07:08 PM
I've been wondering if there are any mage-like NPC classes in Pathfinder. The closest I've seen is Adept, but they seem more cleric-like. I've been thinking about just using wizard as a slate, taking away their bonus feats and arcane bond and giving them a d4 hit die. Be nice to know if someone has already made something similar, though.

Larkas
2013-03-19, 07:16 PM
I don't think there are any other NPC classes in PF other than the original 4... Why don't you use Eberron's Magewright? Or Birthright's Magician (http://www.birthright.net/forums/showwiki.php?title=BRCS:Chapter_one_Character_Magi cian), for that matter?

Certified
2013-03-19, 07:32 PM
By interspersing levels of Expert you can create a solid sage type character with diminished casting and a wealth of information. Alternatively, by using commoner instead you might create a peasant wizard or dabbler.

Urpriest
2013-03-19, 07:48 PM
Adept is supposed to correspond to both arcane and divine archetypes. The idea being that among those with NPC classes arcane and divine tend to get muddled into one archetype. It's why Adepts get familiars, for example.

Sylthia
2013-03-19, 09:17 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I looked at magewright, but it seems like it's mostly utility and not made for combat. Magician is a bit better, but still not what I had in mind.

I'm looking for a glass-cannon sort of artillary enemy NPC. I guess my best bet is to use adept, and possibly expand its spell list a bit.

Larkas
2013-03-19, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I looked at magewright, but it seems like it's mostly utility and not made for combat. Magician is a bit better, but still not what I had in mind.

I'm looking for a glass-cannon sort of artillary enemy NPC. I guess my best bet is to use adept, and possibly expand its spell list a bit.

Eberron also has something called Religious Adept, basically an Adept with a Cleric domain slapped on top. Now, I know you are looking for a more arcane feel, but I'm sure some of the domains could fit the bill just fine with just a bit of refluff. Or you could simply scrap the domain and apply the Cleric's Divine Magician ACF to the Religious Adept! You could also give it the Mother Cyst feat, or any other feat that add spells to your list (Dragon Compendium's Bloodline feats would be great, but they require spontaneous arcane spellcasting; you could get a level in bard or sorcerer and apply the spells to the Adept side, but...).

... Or not. You could just fiddle with the Adept's spell list and be done with it! I'm just trying to point out how to do it within the rules. :smallwink:

KillianHawkeye
2013-03-20, 07:20 AM

why not just make them a Sorcerer or other spellcaster? NPCs don't have to be NPC classed.

Sylthia
2013-03-20, 08:14 AM
why not just make them a Sorcerer or other spellcaster? NPCs don't have to be NPC classed.

That's what I've been doing, but I was looking for something along the lines of warrior=powered-down fighter. If making an NPC with PC levels the "correct" way, you need to pick bonus feats, bloodlines, etc. Having a quick-to-setup mook class lessens the prep time a bit.

Andreaz
2013-03-20, 08:24 AM
The adept's fine for that. It's just a bunch of spells.

Psyren
2013-03-20, 08:24 AM
That's what I've been doing, but I was looking for something along the lines of warrior=powered-down fighter. If making an NPC with PC levels the "correct" way, you need to pick bonus feats, bloodlines, etc. Having a quick-to-setup mook class lessens the prep time a bit.

Note that the default bloodline for sorcerers is arcane unless otherwise specified. So if you're in a rush you could simply do that.

Ashtagon
2013-03-20, 08:34 AM
Give him levels in warmage. That's the definitive arcane glass cannon.

Certified
2013-03-20, 11:23 AM

One Prep killing link coming up

NPC Codex - Wizards (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/npcCodex/core/wizard.html)

Sylthia
2013-03-20, 02:04 PM
One Prep killing link coming up

NPC Codex - Wizards (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/npcCodex/core/wizard.html)

Thanks, although reading some of their backstories makes me feel a bit guilty killing them.