PDA

View Full Version : Build Help

Virdish
2013-03-19, 07:09 PM
Ok so I am completely new to high op games and gestalt and am in a game where both of these are in play. Right now I am running a soulknife/knight gestalt and it is just a tad underwhelming. Wanted to switch to a psywar/knight gestalt of ninth level with the soulbound weapon acf, he's in mithral, called, blueshine fullplate with heavy armor opt/greater and a couple of shield feats. DM gave me the ok for full reroll minus equipment which is +4 belt of streangth, +4 cloak of charisma. Want to keep knight for flavor but wouldn't mind dipping.

If anyone would help me I would be exuberant. I am basically the tank so AC and HP are important to me. As written he has a 31 AC and 96 HP, It's an ebberon campaign and for flavor I'll be going heir of Syberis with Deneith.

Point buy is 36 and DM gave an extra first level feat. Human for feat and access to Heir of Syberis.

Phelix-Mu
2013-03-19, 07:14 PM
In before warblade?

Knight is not that great. Big HD, but I think you will find that you can do almost everything that you want from knight with a warblade of one flavor or another. If you are going to go melee in gestalt high op, then Tome of Battle is your friend. Your very, very good friend.

Urpriest
2013-03-19, 07:59 PM
In before warblade?

Knight is not that great. Big HD, but I think you will find that you can do almost everything that you want from knight with a warblade of one flavor or another. If you are going to go melee in gestalt high op, then Tome of Battle is your friend. Your very, very good friend.

Warblade is cool, but since this guy is stuck with a +4 Cloak of Cha I'd advise Crusader instead. Plus a Knight dip is ok for them.

Phelix-Mu
2013-03-19, 08:04 PM
Warblade is cool, but since this guy is stuck with a +4 Cloak of Cha I'd advise Crusader instead. Plus a Knight dip is ok for them.

Oh, I guess I misinterpreted that; I though "minus the..." meant that those items were being replaced.

What a mistake to make!

Crusader is also a good choice. The healing maneuvers can broaden party role, too, and complement the flanker/tanker aspect of knight. Some psywar powers might go well with the knight's movement restricting abilities, though the best of those don't come until later, if I recall correctly.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-03-19, 08:40 PM
Your character can call himself a Knight without actually having any levels in the Knight class.

Set in stone already is 9th level gestalt, Human going Heir of Siberys, Blueshine Called Mithral Full Plate, Belt of Str +4, Cloak of Cha +4, extra feat at 1st level, 36 point buy. Party tank, Knight flavor.

Considering your items and desire to use Psychic Warrior, I'd go with the following:

1. Psion (Egoist) 1// Crusader 1, Midnight Dodge, Mobility, Psionic Dodge, Extra Granted Maneuver
2. Psion 2// Human Paragon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/racialParagonClasses.htm#humanParagon) 1
3. Fighter 1// Human Paragon 2, Power Attack, Weapon Focus, Psicrystal Affinity
4. Fighter 2// Human Paragon 3, Heavy Armor Optimization
5. Psion 3// Crusader 2
6. Psion 4// Psychic Weapon Master (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040827d) 1, Deflective Armor
7. Crusader 3// Psychic Weapon Master 2
8. Psion 5// Psychic Weapon Master 3, Linked Power
9. Crusader 4// Psychic Weapon Master 4, Midnight Augmentation
10. Psion 6// Psychic Weapon Master 5, Combat Reflexes
11. Crusader 5// Psychic Weapon Master 6
12. Psion 7// Psychic Weapon Master 7, Improved Critical
13. Psion 8// Heir of Siberys 1, Greater Heavy Armor Optimization
14. Crusader 6// Heir of Siberys 2
15. Crusader 7// Heir of Siberys 3, Defensive Sweep, Psionic Meditation
16. Crusader 8// Psychic Weapon Master 8
17. Psion 9// Psychic Weapon Master 9
18. Crusader 10// Psychic Weapon Master 10, Persistent Power
19. Crusader 11// Paragnostic Apostle 1
20. Crusader 12// Paragnostic Apostle 2

Advance Psion with Heir of Siberys, Human Paragon, Psychic Weapon Master, and Paragnostic Apostle. Keep your psicrystal in a compartment on your person so nobody will ever have line of sight/effect to it, and it can never be targeted directly or hit by area effects. You and it will still have line of effect to each other though, so put a Healing Belt on it asap and always have the power Share Pain manifest on it. The psicrystal's Hardness 8 will automatically reduce every instance of damage it takes from Share Pain by that amount, regardless of the original attack's damage type. You can manifest Vigor and share it with the psicrystal. This way you'll always take half damage from every source of damage, and the psicrystal often won't take any damage at all.

Your starting Crusader maneuvers and stances known should be as follows:
Stances: Martial Spirit, Iron Guard's Glare
1: Crusader's Strike, Vanguard Strike, Leading the Attack, Charging Minotaur, Stone Bones
3: Revitalizing Strike, White Raven Tactics
Readied: Everything except Charging Minotaur.

Powers Known starting out:
1: Vigor, Force Screen, Crystal Shard, Thicken Skin, Psionic Endure Elements
2: Animal Affinity, Energy Stun, Bestow Power, Share Pain
3: Hustle, Time Hop, Touchsight, Dispel Psionics
4: Psionic Dimension Door, Psionic Freedom of Movement, Energy Adaptation, Telekinetic Maneuver
5: Psionic True Seeing, Power Resistance

Every day you have two essentia, which you invest into Bestow Power via Midnight Augmentation. It costs a base 3 powerpoints, and grants 2 powerpoints. For every 1 additional powerpoint you spend, it grants an additional 2 powerpoints. You can spend up to 9 powerpoints on it, granting 14 powerpoints to yourself or anyone else each time you do so. You can fill yourself (and anyone else in the party) back up to your max powerpoints between encounters this way.

Note that per leveling up in the PHB, you gain feats before class features, thus you'll have the Improved Critical feat before gaining it via Psychic Weapon master and thus gain +2 threat range to your chosen weapon instead. Also note that you can apply your own abilities in the most beneficial order, so a Falchion's normal 18-20 can be reduced to 16-20 via that +2 threat range, and then Improved Critical will double that threat range to 11-20.

Pay for a masterwork crystal weapon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/specialMaterials.htm#crystalMundane), and enchant it to a +4 weapon for 1,600 xp. I'd make it +1 with the Wrathful Healing property from Enemies and Allies, it costs a +3 and makes it so the wielder is healed for half the damage dealt by the weapon on every attack, which includes bonus damage from strength, power attack, etc. though not energy damage such as from a flaming weapon.

Virdish
2013-03-19, 10:18 PM
I'm probably missing something but as I see it he is missing psionic weapon for entry into psychic weapon master. Other then that and the feat I need to pick up for heir of syberis it is an amazing build, thank you so much this will be awesome.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-03-19, 10:42 PM
You're right, a minor oversight. Replace the Fighter levels with Psychic Warrior, replace one early Crusader level with Fighter, and shuffle the feats around to include Psionic Weapon. Replace one late Crusader level with Fighter for Improved Critical to qualify for Heir of Siberys with your 12th level feat.

Edit: I also missed Extend Power, which is required for Persistent Power. Probably replace Defensive Sweep with that, since it's not all that great without size+reach and/or trips or similar.