PDA

View Full Version : Split in the Linear Guild?

Dumbestupidiot
2013-03-19, 07:22 PM
Thinking about how screwed the order of the stick seems to be now, I decided to start thinking of ideas how they might be unscrewed (or less screwed) and a partial dissolution of the Linear Guild seemed like a logical thought. Malack wants no part of the coming battle with Durkon vulnerable, being without a coffin and all and his friends itching for a chance to free him from his vampiric bond. Malack wishes to return to the palace post-haste while Tarquin is itching to test the mettle of Roy and Elan some more. Tarquin is raring to go, especially with it not being strictly business any more but for the pleasure of fighting an equal while Malack now has a family member involved as well who he wishes to keep safe. Add in Nale and his famed tact and evil guile as a trigger (and another potential threatener of Durkon) and I think we may have Malack sitting out. This would leave the linear guild with a spell caster, a fighter, and Nale vs Haley, Roy, Elan, and, possibly, V as a trump card, leading to a fair fight between the forces.

the_tick_rules
2013-03-19, 11:13 PM
Pretty much. Nale has some goals that are not respected nor shared by his compatriots. It happens when you have to fish for replacements who have no reason to care or share Nale's motivations. Sabine is the only one who has any interest in Nale's wishes.

Mutant Sheep
2013-03-19, 11:16 PM
I think Z'zdritz...z. Might be a fan of Nale too.:smalltongue: Willing to come to the Western Continent for him, somexkind of loyalty thing somewhere.

KillianHawkeye
2013-03-22, 07:40 AM
Well, considering that Malack actually succeeded in taking out his good opposite, Nale might be fine with him going back to town. Probably not until they get Sabine back, though.

If Malack and Durkon DO take a hike, that would leave Nale, Tarquin, Z, and possibly Kilkil to deal with Roy, Belkar, Elan, Haley, and possibly V. That actually seems pretty even to me, especially if V remains aloof for a while longer.

Morty
2013-03-22, 11:11 AM
The Linear Guild is held together by extremely tenuous connections. So yes, I agree that a split is very likely at some point. Well, unless Xykon busts in and forces everyone to cooperate just to get out of there alive.

Rig
2013-03-22, 03:09 PM
I am interested in seeing why they're so cavalier about Xykon, given what Nale's told them. If they do split, then we have severely underestimated the duo.

Macros
2013-03-22, 03:18 PM
I don't think he told much about Xykon,only that he had worked for him, if I remember correctly ? Somehow, I don't think Tarquin is expecting an epic lich sorcerer and a near epic goblin cleric to knock on the door very soon.

dps
2013-03-22, 03:30 PM
I don't think he told much about Xykon,only that he had worked for him, if I remember correctly ? Somehow, I don't think Tarquin is expecting an epic lich sorcerer and a near epic goblin cleric to knock on the door very soon.

Yep.

Also, Malack isn't planning on bugging out: "Once we all return to Bleedingham, I will relinquish my control over you so that we may once again engage as peers. Until then, you will help us acheive our goals as my servant".

Rig
2013-03-22, 05:28 PM
If Nale won a bluff check on Tarquin i will chew on my seat cushion. I'm only buying that with outside help, and even then, remember what Belkar said about the bell being rung at the downfall of Azure city? That was month's ago. News like Xykon get's around and grins through your vital organs.

Macros
2013-03-22, 05:36 PM
It's not about bluffing... I think Nale genuily don't know much about Xykon. He worked for him at a time were you could be excused if you thought he was a harmless buffoon, and sure, he was here during Azure City battle, but was in prison most of the time (were I imagine it's not easy to get much information) and ran away as soon as possible. As for Tarquin, why should he care about what happens one continent away ? His own is enough trouble as it is. What if some gobbos want to smack around a bunch of paladins ?

Souju
2013-03-22, 05:47 PM
I don't think Malack and Tarquin are making it out of Girard's dungeon alive...
Well...you know what i mean about Malack.
Remember what happened to Tsukiko?

dps
2013-03-22, 07:08 PM
If Nale won a bluff check on Tarquin i will chew on my seat cushion. I'm only buying that with outside help, and even then, remember what Belkar said about the bell being rung at the downfall of Azure city? That was month's ago. News like Xykon get's around and grins through your vital organs.

Not sure Belkar was right about that, though. Sure, the news has gotten around that the goblinoids managed to take out a pretty powerful human city-state, but the world at large still doesn't know about the Gates.

If anyone else thought that the fall of Azure City to take action was a call to arms, they'd do what the elves have done--start an operation to liberate the place. There's no reason they'd send anyone to the middle of a desert on a different continent.