PDA

View Full Version : Wall of Blades "You can decide" [3.5 ToB]

Laserlight
2013-03-19, 07:34 PM
The text for Wall of Blades includes "You can decide to use this ability after you learn the result of your opponent’s attack."

Let's say a foe--one of several--takes a swing at me. I need to decide whether to use my Wall of Blades against this attack or not.

A. Does "learn the result" cover the opponent's attack roll, either generally ("he just barely managed to connect", or "he totally faked you out") or specifically ("he needed a 15, he rolled a 16", or "he rolled a 20") ?

B. Does "learn the result" cover the damage, either generally ("he nicked your forearm", "he stuck you right in the chest") or specifically ("he did 2 points" or "he did 20 points")?

I'm inclined to say "yes" and "yes", because if you get to know whether you're going to be hit at all, you should know more or less where and how hard you're going to get hit. And I'd go for "generally", because I don't want to be doing arithmetic during combat and also because it's more colorful.

Callin
2013-03-19, 07:38 PM
My group has always rules something like that as either he hits or misses. Thats all ya get.

Deophaun
2013-03-19, 09:35 PM
A. I don't think there's RAW, but in general, dealing with people that are used to getting attacked, the PCs probably know the difference between an attack that barely hit, and one that made them look like a chump. Plus, in my group, where we have bonuses and penalties floating all over the place, the DM doesn't have the headspace to keep track of it all, so it's "does a 25 hit you?"

B. If you read the PHB, it says "when your attack succeeds, you deal damage." Well, since we're waiting to see if you decide to intercept the attack, it has not yet succeeded, so there's no damage to roll... yet.