PDA

View Full Version : Fawkes Phoenix (P.E.A.C.H.)

backpackjack
2013-03-19, 10:22 PM
I had originally posted this on the Request a Homebrew thread, but didn't get any interest. So I'll try here.

I'd like to see if we can come up with a CR 5-10-ish Phoenix creature based on J.K. Rowling's Fawkes the Phoenix. I'm guessing, based on the books, that some of its qualities should be: it is small, red, has golden tail feathers, glows slightly, is warm/hot--but seemingly not burning hot--to the touch, has healing capabilities (regenerate and heal), resurrects itself, is immune to petrification, can carry many times its weight (at least by its tail while flying), can sing to inspire courage and ease despair, has some teleportation abilities, and is highly intelligent. I think it would be cool to see this and would appreciate some help getting it started. (I know that MMII has already created a phoenix, but they seem so different than the Fawkes type Phoenix.)

Here's a start--let me know what you think:
Fawkes Phoenix
Small Magical Beast (Fire)
HD 6d10+6 (39 hp)
Speed 10 ft. (2 squares); Fly 60 ft. (perfect) (12 squares)
Init +5
AC 21 (+1 size, +5 Dex, +5 deflection); touch 21; flat-footed 16
BAB +6; Grp -4
Attack Eye Strike +11 melee (1d1, 18-20/see text)
Full-Attack Eye Strike +11/+6 (1d1, 18-20/see text)
Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Special Attacks Eye Strike (Ex)
Special Qualities Immunity to fire and petrification, vulnerability to cold, restorative tears, self resurrection, aerial transport, phoenix song, spell-like abilities, darkvision.
Saves Fort +6 Ref +10 Will +9
Abilities Str 10, Dex 21, Con 12, Int 25, Wis 18, Cha 16
Skills Concentration +9, Listen +9, Knowledge (Geography) +9, Knowledge (History) +9, Knowledge (Local) +9, Knowledge Nobility and Royal) +9, Move Silently +9, Sense Motive +9, and Spot +9
Feats Weapon Finesse (beak), Flyby Attack, Improved Flyby Attack
Environment Mountains
Organization Almost always solitary
Challenge Rating 6
Treasure None
Alignment Any good
Advancement by Small 6-8
Level Adjustment None

You see an attractive brilliantly red bird, about the size and shape of a peacock, with long golden tail feathers, a golden beak and talons, and coal-black eyes. The bird radiates heat and a dim light.

Fawkes Phoenixes are rare and beautiful birds. They are a symbol of hope and good fortune for all who associate with them. They are extremely intelligent and because of their ability to resurrect themselves with full memory, they have extremely long lives and know a great deal about the world. They understand all languages, but tend not to speak (though they do use gestures to communicate non-verbally). When a Fawkes Phoenix dies, it always does so in a burst of flames and it will—until the natural end of its life—always rise from its ashes, even if they are disbursed.

They are herbivorous creatures who, with one exception, are non-violent, pacifists. They will, to protect their allies, use their Eye Strike ability on huge or larger creatures, but only in the most dire of circumstances. They will readily sacrifice themselves to protect their allies and have an uncanny sense about when to intercept a death blow or spell.

Individual Fawkes Phoenixes have been known to associate themselves with powerful spell-casters or royalty with whom they share objectives and to whom they can be fiercely loyal, but they are unwilling to serve as familiars. They mate only a few times during their long lives and, otherwise, only rarely associate with their own kind.

Eye Strike (Ex)
Although they are docile, peaceful creatures, when protecting an ally from creatures of Huge size or larger, they may make use eye strike, which, on a critical hit, will puncture the defending creature’s eye, causing permanent blindness therein.

Restorative Tears(Su)
The Fawkes Phoenix’s tears, which it can produce thrice per day, channel positive energy into a creature to wipe away and repair injury and afflictions as a 13th level caster. The tears immediately end any and all of the following adverse conditions affecting the target: ability damage, ability drain, blinded, confused, dazed, dazzled, deafened, diseased, exhausted, fatigued, feebleminded, insanity, nauseated, negative levels, poisoned, severed body parts, sickened, and stunned. They also cure up to 13d10 hit points of damage. They do not restore levels or Constitution points lost due to death. These tears must be delivered directly from a Fawkes Phoenix; they cannot be bottled and used at another time or otherwise used to make palliative potions.

Self-Resurrection (Su)
Fawkes Phoenixes live thousands of years broken up into six-month cycles: life, death in ashes, rebirth from the ashes, and so on. At any point during the cycle, if a Fawkes Phoenix dies prematurely, it merely begins the cycle once again. Rebirth is essentially immediate and its infancy lasts about two hours, after which time it reaches full maturity.

Aerial Transport (Su)
The tail of the Fawkes Phoenix is warm to the touch and, when grasped, can effortlessly support a chain of up to six creatures during a flight for up to one hour per day.

Phoenix Song (Su)
When a Fawkes Phoenix sings, it removes confusion, exhaustion, fatigue, fear, fright, nausea, and panic from its allies who can hear it within 100 feet.

Spell-like Abilities (Sp)
2/day: Teleport

I was contemplating doing something with their tail feathers and wands, but I haven't come up with anything that I liked. Anyway, I would really appreciate suggestions.

BPJ

LordErebus12
2013-03-19, 10:28 PM
i suggest making it a creature capable of being a familiar, via Improved Familiar.

ShriekingDrake
2013-03-20, 06:18 AM
i suggest making it a creature capable of being a familiar, via Improved Familiar.

Wouldn't that be a VERY powerful familiar?

Edit:
I suppose you could make it a SM/SNA VI or VII or something like that.

Let me also add that I like the concept. I have a memory of Fawkes engulfing Dumbledore's tomb in flames, which might make another Spell-like ability. I'll have to look it up to be sure.

Omnicrat
2013-03-20, 09:59 AM
A Fawkes Phoenix Feather could be used in stead of the normal materials for creating a wand? You still need a wood sheath, but wood is free in D&D.

LordErebus12
2013-03-20, 10:26 AM
A Fawkes Phoenix Feather could be used in stead of the normal materials for creating a wand? You still need a wood sheath, but wood is free in D&D.

so 4th or lower level wands can be made with a phoenix feather. dragon heart strings for 3rd level and lower, unicorn hair for 2nd and lower, while veela (equivalent to fey) hair and troll whiskers for 1st only.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2013-03-20, 11:31 AM
I'd like to see if we can come up with a CR 5-10-ish Phoenix creature based on J.K. Rowling's Fawkes the Phoenix.

Out of curiosity, why CR 5-10? J.K. Rowling's Phoenixes seem to be much, much weaker creatures: I doubt Fawkes' combat capability is much above that of the average hawk. He just happens to have a lot of other powerful abilities that wouldn't raise his CR much at all, but are useful and overtly magical.

You'd also be able to turn such a low CR creature into a familiar fairly easily, although its host of other useful abilities might make it a higher-level option, and might also hide it behind a feat wall.

backpackjack
2013-03-20, 02:21 PM
Thanks all.

@Shriekingdrake: That was my thinking. I was worried that as a familiar it would just make it too easy for a Wizard. But I suppose SM and SNA might be nice choices here.

@Omnicrat and LordErebus: I like this idea. Perhaps I'll make it that the FP has to give the tail feather. I'll play with this idea.

@Djinn_in_Tonic: What CR would you suggest? I'm easy about dropping it and the HD. I'm not sure what to consider. What do you mean by putting it behind a "feat wall"?

Anyway, are the features I missed? Should I have picked different feats or abilities? I'm happy to adjust the CR and HD as consensus builds.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2013-03-20, 04:11 PM
@Djinn_in_Tonic: What CR would you suggest? I'm easy about dropping it and the HD. I'm not sure what to consider. What do you mean by putting it behind a "feat wall"?

I'd probably pin Fawke's at 1/2 to 3/4th CR, personally. Definitely not more than 2. We see him distract a Basilisk, for example, but I think it's pretty apparent that the Basilisk would make quick work of Fawkes in anything close to a straight fight. This low CR also allows us to make it a familiar.

By "feat wall," I mean that you make this a familiar that requires a feat or two (Improved Familiar, or a new feat like "Phoenix Chosen" or "Phoenix Friend" or something) to access. Since it has more useful abilities than a normal familiar, you make Wizards pay a price to access it, and make it available only at a higher than normal level.

backpackjack
2013-03-20, 07:15 PM
So assuming we switch the CR to 2, which is fine with me, would we switch the HD to 2 has well? I honestly have no idea how to balance a creature to its CR.

Admittedly, I'm not very thoughtful when it comes to familiars, as I tend to play characters that don't have familiars. But would this not be an extremely powerful familiar, even with the feat wall?

Are there other things, besides adding the wand/feather aspects that would be good here?

backpackjack
2013-03-21, 12:30 PM
Apologies for the double post.

Here's another take.

Fawkes Phoenix
HD 5d10+6 (34 hp)
Speed 10 ft. (2 squares); Fly 60 ft. (perfect) (12 squares)
Init +5
AC 21 (+1 size, +5 Dex, +5 deflection); touch 21; flat-footed 16
BAB +6; Grp -4
Attack Eye Strike +11 melee (1d1, 18-20/see text)
Full-Attack Eye Strike +11/+6 (1d1, 18-20/see text)
Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Special Attacks Eye Strike (Ex)
Special Qualities Immunity to fire and petrification, vulnerability to cold, restorative tears, self resurrection, aerial transport, phoenix song, spell-like abilities, darkvision.
Saves Fort +6 Ref +10 Will +9
Abilities Str 10, Dex 21, Con 12, Int 25, Wis 18, Cha 16
Skills Concentration +8, Listen +8, Knowledge (Geography) +8, Knowledge (History) +8, Knowledge (Local) +8, Knowledge Nobility and Royal) +8, Move Silently +8, Sense Motive +8, and Spot +8
Feats Weapon Finesse (beak), Flyby Attack, Improved Flyby Attack
Environment Mountains
Organization Almost always solitary
Challenge Rating 5
Treasure None
Alignment Any good
Advancement by Small 5
Level Adjustment None

You see an attractive brilliantly red bird, about the size and shape of a peacock, with long golden tail feathers, a golden beak and talons, and coal-black eyes. The bird radiates heat and a dim light.

Fawkes Phoenixes are rare and beautiful birds. They are a symbol of hope and good fortune for all who associate with them. They are extremely intelligent and because of their ability to resurrect themselves with full memory, they have extremely long lives and know a great deal about the world. They understand all languages, but tend not to speak (though they do use gestures to communicate non-verbally). When a Fawkes Phoenix dies, it always does so in a burst of flames and it will—until the natural end of its life—always rise from its ashes, even if they are disbursed.

They are herbivorous creatures who, with one exception, are non-violent, pacifists. They will, to protect their allies, use their Eye Strike ability on huge or larger creatures, but only in the most dire of circumstances. They will readily sacrifice themselves to protect their allies and have an uncanny sense about when to intercept a death blow or spell.

Individual Fawkes Phoenixes have been known to associate themselves with powerful spell-casters or royalty with whom they share objectives and to whom they can be fiercely loyal. They can serve as familiars but only to those who have taken the Improved Familiar feat and who also have the saint template.

They mate only a few times during their long lives and, otherwise, only rarely associate with their own kind.

Eye Strike (Ex)
Although they are docile, peaceful creatures, when protecting an ally from creatures of Huge size or larger, they may make use eye strike, which, on a critical hit, will puncture the defending creature’s eye, causing permanent blindness therein.

Restorative Tears(Su)
The Fawkes Phoenix’s tears, which it can produce thrice per day, channel positive energy into a creature to wipe away and repair injury and afflictions as a 13th level caster. The tears immediately end any and all of the following adverse conditions affecting the target: ability damage, ability drain, blinded, confused, dazed, dazzled, deafened, diseased, exhausted, fatigued, feebleminded, insanity, nauseated, negative levels, poisoned, severed body parts, sickened, and stunned. They also cure up to 13d10 hit points of damage. They do not restore levels or Constitution points lost due to death. These tears must be delivered directly from a Fawkes Phoenix; they cannot be bottled and used at another time or otherwise used to make palliative potions.

Self-Resurrection (Su)
Fawkes Phoenixes live many thousands of years broken up into six-month cycles: life, death in ashes, rebirth from the ashes, and so on. At any point during the cycle, if a Fawkes Phoenix dies prematurely, it merely begins the cycle once again. Rebirth is essentially immediate and its infancy lasts about two hours, after which time it reaches full maturity.

Aerial Transport (Su)
The tail of the Fawkes Phoenix is warm to the touch and, when grasped, can effortlessly support a chain of up to six creatures during a flight for up to one hour per day.

Phoenix Song (Su)
When a Fawkes Phoenix sings, it removes confusion, exhaustion, fatigue, fear, fright, nausea, and panic from its allies who can hear it within 100 feet.

Spell-like Abilities (Sp)
2/day: Teleport

(More on wands to come)

Andion Isurand
2013-03-21, 06:50 PM
Here's some revisions I would make:

Natural attacks don't receive iterative attacks. I would make the beak deal 1d2 damage, and 1 extra point of fire damage. I would also give them Distracting Attack feat, as a bonus feat.
Tears (Su): As a standard action, a Fawkes Phoenix may weep up to three tears and touch a willing creature. For each tear wept, the touched creature is affected by one of the following spells, as cast by a 15th level cleric: heal, regeneration or greater restoration. A Fawkes phoenix may produce only three such tears each day.
Wark (Su): A Fawkes Phoenix may issue a cry as an immediate action, granting all allies within 60 feet the effect of a resurgence spell, as cast by a 15th level cleric.
Featherweight (Su): All objects and willing creatures attended to by a Fawkes Phoenix have their weight reduced by 90%, for as long as they remain attended.

Debihuman
2013-03-22, 04:47 PM
I like this a lot. A few missteps but nothing that can't be fixed. It's a long post because I try to explain in detail.

Explanation of everything here in spoiler:

For the best monster design (not one that is TPK or glass-jawed) CR should be equal to or lower than HD and the number of special abilities (other than ones that a creature has from Type and Subtype) should be no more than the number of HD. This is for balance so that you don't end up with creature that is too powerful. It shouldn't take out the entire party. You also don't want one that can't take what the PCs (or other opponents) dish out.

I think you could give it 9 HD and keep CR 6 if you made a few changes. It has far more Wis and Int than it needs.

Let me point out that Special Abilities should have game mechanics associated with them or they should be removed and added to the creature's description.

Neither Self Resurrection nor Aerial Transport currently contain game mechanics. You should explain self resurrection in the creature's description, but aerial transport need game mechanics.

Small creatures carry 3/4 the load of Medium creature. With Str 10, the phoenix can carry 24 lbs. as a light load, 25 to 49 lbs. as a medium load, and 50-75 lbs. as a heavy load.

Fawkes didn't face a normal basilisk in D&D terms. It faced an Abyssal Greater Basilisk which is CR 12 and Large size (See SRD: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/basilisk.htm)

It's not really necessary to remake the Harry Potter basilisk either to match the movie since that one suffices.

Fly speed is never noted in squares because you can have vertical movement.

While the creature can have Flyby Attack, it can't have Improved Flyby since it doesn't meets the requirements. That is an epic feat and requires it to have Dodge and Mobility as well as Flyby Attack as prerequisites. I recommend you give it Dodge instead. It shouldn't advance since it is reborn anew. If you increase its hit dice, you could give it Dodge and Mobility. Feats should be listed alphabetically.

Its AC is wrong. It can only have a deflection bonus from a magical source. You didn't give it one.

Creatures that have natural weapons don't get iterative attacks based on BAB; their attacks are based on the limbs that they use. Birds use both claws to make a single attack if they are Small or smaller. [EDIT] See hawk. I changed the attack from claws to talons since it attacks like a hawk.

Generally, only Medium and larger birds can make two separate claw attacks. As such it should only have 1 attack and so the attack line for the full attack would be the same.

Natural attacks ONLY critical on a 20 unless you give the creature improved critical feat.

An average damage for a Small creature's claws is 1d4. This is also good because you can use it for the basis of the eye strike (which does double claw damage if the creature fails to be blinded, see below).

Melee attack is BAB + Size + Str modifier. Your numbers are off.

You list a beak in weapon finesse but weapon finesse would apply to the claw. Eye strikes would also be done with the claws. Fawkes gouged the basilisk's eye out with his claws not his beak.

Special abilities that cause damage should have a save and usually have a limited number of times it can be used. I recommend that the eye strike ability be usable on smaller creatures as well.

Eye Strike (Ex): As a full action, a Fawkes phoenix may charge a Medium or larger creature and attempt to gouge its eyes out. The Fawkes phoenix gains a +4 Circumstance bonus to hit as a normal attack and if successful, gouges out both its opponent's eyes, blinding it. A successful Reflex save (DC 18*) negates the blinding, but the opponent takes 2d4 points of damage instead. Creatures with more than two eyes are not blinded until all of their eyes are gouged out. The save is Dexterity-based.
*The DC will be higher if you give it more hit dice.

Magical Beasts have Darkvision 60 feet and low-light vision. Special Abilities should be listed alphabetically.

Restorative tears is extremely overpowered for CR 6. Healing should work like a cure critical wounds spell at caster level 13. That changes the amount of healing it does to 4d8+13,

Restorative Tears (Su): Three times a day as a standard action, a Fawkes can produce a tear that removes one of the following conditions from an affected target: ability damage, ability drain, blinded, confused, dazed, dazzled, deafened, diseased, exhausted, fatigued, feebleminded, insanity, nauseated, negative levels, poisoned, severed body parts, sickened, and stunned. The tear also cures 4d8+13 hit points of damage as a cure critical wounds spell (CL 13). They do not restore levels or Constitution points lost due to death. These tears must be delivered directly from a Fawkes Phoenix; they cannot be bottled and used at another time or otherwise used to make palliative potions.

Self Resurrect contains no game mechanics. This should all be description and is not a special ability per se.

Ariel Transport is problematic in that it can carry more than its strength allows. A Small creature with Str 10 can carry 3/4 of what a Medium creature can carry. I'd make the case that you need to note this. The description of the tail belongs with the creature description.

Aerial Transport (Su):: Once a day for one continuous hour a Fawkes phoenix lift an excessive amount of weight as if it had a Strength of 25. It can fly at 40 feet with Good maneuverability while carrying a maximum of 600 lbs. After the hour is up, the Fawkes phoenix must drop its load or land. It can continue to fly at normal speed after that.

Phoenix song duplicates the tears too closely. This ability should affect allies within 60 feet rather than 100 feet and it should only be usable once a day as a standard action. Since I'm weakening it so much, how about it grants a +1 morale bonus to attack to any ally that can hear it within 30 feet for 1d6 rounds.

Here are my suggestions.

Revised Edition.

Fawkes Phoenix
Hit Dice: 9d10+9 (58 hp)
Speed: 10 ft. (2 squares); Fly 60 ft. (perfect)
Initiative: +5
Armor Class: 20 (+1 size, +5 Dex, +4 natural) touch 16; flat-footed 15
BAB/Grapple: +9/+5
Attack: Talons +15 melee (1d4)
Full Attack: Talons + 15 melee (1d4) or eye strike +19 melee (blind or 2d4)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks Eye strike, shriek
Special Qualities: Aerial transport, darkvision 60 ft., immunity to fire and petrification, low-light vision, restorative tears, spell-like ability, vulnerability to cold
Saves Fort +7, Ref +11, Will +8
Abilities: Str 10, Dex 21, Con 12, Int 13, Wis 14, Cha 16
Skills: Hide +7, Listen +11, Knowledge (Geography) +10 , Sense Motive +11, and Spot +11
Feats: Dodge, Flyby Attack, Mobility, Weapon Finesse
Environment: Mountains
Organization: Usually solitary
Challenge Rating: 7
Treasure: None
Alignment: Any good
Advancement: —
Level Adjustment: Cohort +4

Fawkes phoenixes are small cousins to the larger phoenix. They have bright red feathers, except for bright yellow feathers that surround their black face and their long, golden tail feathers. They have beady black eyes and a sharp golden beak 1. They seem to glow faintly in dim light.

They have an enormous wingspan for their size, which allows them to fly even while carrying a heavy load. Their feathers always feel warm to the touch.

Every 6 months, a Fawkes phoenix immolates. A chick rises from the ashes, growing to maturity in a couple of hours. If a Fawkes phoenix dies prematurely, it merely begins the cycle once again. They can live for thousands of years.

A typical Fawkes phoenix stands 3 feet tall and weighs 30 pounds. They cannot speak but understand Common and Ignan.

They make loyal companions to anyone they deem worthy, usually exceptional individuals. Unfortunately, they are not suited to be familiars. However, Fawkes phoenixes can be extremely stingy with their boons. A phoenix only cries if someone is in grave danger. Fawkes Phoenixes sing sorrowful songs when someone they loved has died but have not been known to sing at other times.

A Fawkes phoenix can normally carry 24 lbs as a light load, 25 to 49 lbs. as a medium load, and 50-75 lbs. as a heavy load. A Fawkes phoenix can fly even while carrying a heavy load though its speed drops to 40 feet and its maneuverability to good. Moreover, they have been known to carry much more than their size and strength allow.

Combat

Fawkes phoenixes only attack when they or their allies are threatened. They shriek at opponents to slow them down.

Aerial Transport (Su):: Once a day for one continuous hour, a Fawkes phoenix can lift an excessive amount of weight as if it had a Strength of 25. It can fly at 40 feet with Good maneuverability while carrying a maximum of 600 lbs. After the hour is up, the Fawkes phoenix must drop its load or land. It can continue to fly at normal speed after that.

Eye Strike (Ex): As a full action, a Fawkes phoenix may charge a Medium or larger creature and attempt to gouge its eyes out. The Fawkes phoenix gains a +4 Circumstance bonus to hit as a normal attack and if successful, gouges out both its opponent's eyes, blinding it. A successful Reflex save (DC 19) negates the blinding, but the opponent takes 2d4 points of damage instead. Creatures with more than two eyes are not blinded until all of their eyes are gouged out. The save is Dexterity-based.

Restorative Tears (Su): Three times a day as a standard action, a Fawkes can produce a tear that removes one of the following conditions from an affected target: ability damaged, ability drained, blinded, confused, dazed, dazzled, deafened, diseased, exhausted, fatigued, feebleminded, insanity, nauseated, negative levels, poisoned, severed body parts, sickened, and stunned. The tear also cures 4d8+13 hit points of damage as a cure critical wounds spell (CL 13). The tears do not restore levels or Constitution points lost due to death. These tears must be delivered directly from a Fawkes Phoenix; they cannot be bottled and used at another time or otherwise used to make palliative potions.

Shriek (Ex): Once per hour as a standard action, a Fawkes phoenix can utter a war shriek that forces every opponent within 30 feet to succeed on a Will save (DC 17) or be slowed (as the slow spell) for one round. This is a sonic, mind-affecting effect. The save is Charisma-based.

Spell-like Ability (Sp): Twice a day as a standard action, a Fawkes phoenix can teleport as the spell.

Skills: A Fawkes phoenix takes a -2 penalty to Hide skills due to its illumination, included in the statistics block.

1 In the movie Fawkes' beak is black in the books, it is golden.

backpackjack
2013-03-22, 07:25 PM
Wow. This is fantastic. Thanks so much for helping me. I also appreciate all the creature building advice, Debi. It looks terrific. I'll take a closer look shortly and make some additional comments.

I am in your debt. YOU are a model boards citizen.

Debihuman
2013-03-23, 04:25 AM
Thanks. In looking at it again (and a second look never hurts) I decided to change the claws to talons to match the attack that a hawk has and fixed some writing that could have been better.

Glad you liked my edits. One of the major changes that I made was scaling back its special abilities.

I'm not entirely sure I have the CR right. Vorpal Tribble's CR Estimator is pretty good. Here's the gist of it:

Vorpal Tribble’s CR estimator

#1. Divide creature's average HP by 4.5 to 6.5.
4.5 for 5 HD or lower, 5 for 6-10 HD, 5.5 for 11-15 HD, 6 for 16-20 HD., 6.5 for 20-25 HD.

58/5=11

#2. Add 1 for each five points above 10 its AC is, subtracting 1 for every 5 below.

AC 20 = 2

#3. Add 1 for each special attack (+2 to +5 or more if it has a decent number of spells in its spell-like abilities).

eye strike = 1

#4. Add 1 for each quality unless you deem it worthy of more. Add 1 for each resistance and 10 points of DR it has, and 2 for each immunity. Subtract 1 for each vulnerability.

Aerial transport (1), darkvision 60 ft. (1), immunity to fire (2) and petrification (2), low-light vision (1), phoenix song (1), restorative tears (1) spell-like ability (1) and vulnerability to cold (-1) = 9

#5. Add 1 for every two bonus feats it has. 0

#6. Divide total by 3. This should be its rough CR.

It's a pretty solid 7 even if I discount darkvision and low-light vision in this. So I've also changed the CR from 6 to 7. Also, I just noticed that its Knowledge (Geography) is +11 and should be +10. Fixed it now.

Debby

backpackjack
2013-03-24, 10:39 AM
Thanks, again, Debby. This is all very helpful. I have a few questions and thoughts I'm hoping you (or others if they like) can help me think through.

How is the AC at 20, here? Should there be a natural armor bonus of 4?

According to the HP books, Phoenixes are supposed to be very intelligent. Is there any problem with upping their intelligence?

I'm curious about what you think about Andion Isurand's proposals for the tears and phoenix song
Tears (Su): As a standard action, a Fawkes Phoenix may weep up to three tears and touch a willing creature. For each tear wept, the touched creature is affected by one of the following spells, as cast by a 15th level cleric: heal, regeneration or greater restoration. A Fawkes phoenix may produce only three such tears each day.
Wark (Su): A Fawkes Phoenix may issue a cry as an immediate action, granting all allies within 60 feet the effect of a resurgence spell, as cast by a 15th level cleric. These use game elements and I'm wondering why we might either prefer or not prefer his approach?

Do you have concerns about Fawkes Phoenixes becoming familiars?

I had included several areas of knowledge, which I thought was flavorful for an intelligent, long-lived creature. Is there a problem with that approach, is it just overkill?

One aspect of the Aerial Transport ability may need to be that it is easy for those in the chain to hold each other. This was an aspect of the HP books and I'm wondering how to address it in the ability.

Thanks.

Debihuman
2013-03-24, 12:02 PM
Thanks, again, Debby. This is all very helpful. I have a few questions and thoughts I'm hoping you (or others if they like) can help me think through.

How is the AC at 20, here? Should there be a natural armor bonus of 4?

It looks like a copy paste error. I think you had +4 AC bonus originally and I fiddled with it. I'll look at it again. It's fixed now.

According to the HP books, Phoenixes are supposed to be very intelligent. Is there any problem with upping their intelligence?

When JK Rowlings said phoenixes were intelligent, I don't think she meant that they were geniuses in a human sense. D&D intelligence is based on human intelligence.

Very intelligent for a bird that can't talk isn't the same as Intelligent for a PC.
Average Int for a bird is 2 so 10 is very intelligent for a bird. Average Int for a PC is 10. Different starting points.

Monsters' skills should match what they are and do. Phoenixes in HP are Intelligent but if Fawkes was so smart why was he living in a gilded cage? Honestly, familiars are treated better than that or should be.

I'm curious about what you think about Andion Isurand's proposals for the tears and phoenix song These use game elements and I'm wondering why we might either prefer or not prefer his approach?

Overpowered because you have to account for the CR. It shouldn't just grant boons to its companions because that's not what good design does. It means the party is never really at risk since their buddy can just fix things all the time. Takes all the fun out of it. Also, the creature's design should not just be about the party. What if the phoenix thinks they're just lazy and refuses to help them? In fact, I went back and edited the creature so that it doesn't just act as an agent of its companions.

Do you have concerns about Fawkes Phoenixes becoming familiars?

You need the Improved Familiar Feat to get this for sure, but I'm not sure a Fawkes phoenix makes a suitable familiar to have. I think it's overpowered.

If I were making this from scratch, I'd remove the song as a special ability. The song didn't grant any effect in the book or in the movie; it just announced its sorrow in the book. I would however, give it a modified war cry that a standard phoenix has as a special attack.

Shriek (Ex): Once per hour as a standard action, a Fawkes phoenix can utter a war shriek that forces every opponent within 30 feet to succeed on a Will save (DC 17) or be slowed (as the slow spell) for one round. This is a sonic, mind-affecting effect. The save is Charisma-based.

One aspect of the Aerial Transport ability may need to be that it is easy for those in the chain to hold each other. This was an aspect of the HP books and I'm wondering how to address it in the ability.

That's because you didn't look at drag on the carrying capacity chart. Dragging is 5x max weight capacity. If HP has Str 10, he can drag 500 lbs. I doubt the other kids weighed that combined. I'm not sure how strong HP is in D&D terms.

Debby
P.S. I've revised the text of the Fawkes phoenix so that they have some personality of their own and aren't just being used at the whim of their companions.
Further edits: added penalty to hide and included Hides skill (no ranks) and description about illumination.

DracoDei
2013-03-24, 09:21 PM
Sorry I am late.

Have you looked at this?
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10244919

ShriekingDrake
2013-03-26, 09:27 PM
This seems to be coming along quite nicely.

I have a few thoughts.

I think I'd go back to the Phoenix Song over the Phoenix Shriek. My recollection is that phoenixes are peaceful birds, vegetarians if I recall--perhaps the only exception being the Eye Strike concept you have put forward.

In my own thinking, I would drop them to 6 HD and give them a CR of 4 or 5.

I concur with the prohibition of them being familiars.

I'm a big fan of Debihuman and tend to like her judgment on things. That said, I thought Andion Isurand had efficient ways of addressing the phoenix song and tears and think you should consider those as pretty efficient.

Good luck.

Debihuman
2013-03-27, 03:06 AM
The only problem I had with Tears was that the healing is overpowered for the CR. 3 times a day greater restoration or heal or regeneration just makes every encounter a cakewalk, unless of course the party has no healer but that would be home campaign and those are almost impossible to critique. It's a creature not a magic item. Plus it can already do similar things with its restorative tears.

Resurgence spell: "By laying hands on a creature and saying a brief prayer, you can convince a higher power to grant a second chance to one of your allies." The flavor is all wrong for this phoenix. Plus it can't talk so it cannot "say a prayer".

As a creature in its own right, it needs to able to stand against other creatures as if the party didn't exist. I'm not saying you can't make a phoenix that is a walking, healing machine. In do so, it means the party isn't really doing their job. Worse, they are benefiting for free so they're not going to buy a healing potion or wand of cure light. That makes them both lazy and cheap and no self-respecting phoenix would admire that. In a campaign that has no cleric, then it would be fine (and even necessary I would think). A creature that is with a party isn't there just to be used in lieu of healing.

The reason I removed the Phoenix song is that being frightened doesn't put you in danger. A Fawkes phoenix only assists when there is a clear and present danger. Being frightened or even panicked doesn't hurt you. Plus those conditions are almost always temporary at low levels and once you've been whammied by it, you're usually safe for 24 hours. It's almost a waste of a Special Ability.

Not every ability this creature has should benefit just its allies. There is so little of Fawkes in HP that we probably didn't see all of his abilities. Besides the shriek I added was a homage to the MM2 Phoenix. :smallbiggrin:

Debby

ShriekingDrake
2013-03-31, 01:49 PM
I just love this concept.

I see what you're saying. I'd still, if possible, drop the HD to 6, drop the CR to 4, drop a feat, have the shriek/song reduce fear effects (even if you keep the morale boost), and make them pacifist vegetarians as Rowlings describes them. I agree that letting them cast the heal/restoration/regeneration. I suppose you could drop the tears to 2 tears or 1 tear/day. I'd consider giving them an attack penalty for all attacks save the eye strike, as they are really supposed to be pacifists. I'd add to their intelligence--though not to 25--and I kind of liked the Knowledge history as a skill.

backpackjack
2013-04-01, 10:03 PM
Drake, would you mind showing me what you're suggesting?

Debihuman
2013-04-02, 05:21 AM
I just love this concept.

I see what you're saying. I'd still, if possible, drop the HD to 6, drop the CR to 4, drop a feat, have the shriek/song reduce fear effects (even if you keep the morale boost), and make them pacifist vegetarians as Rowlings describes them. I agree that letting them cast the heal/restoration/regeneration. I suppose you could drop the tears to 2 tears or 1 tear/day. I'd consider giving them an attack penalty for all attacks save the eye strike, as they are really supposed to be pacifists. I'd add to their intelligence--though not to 25--and I kind of liked the Knowledge history as a skill.

The irony of calling a phoenix a pacifist and then having it ferociously attack the basilisk seems to be lost. However, under combat, it is noted that they only attack when they or their allies are threatened. I'll note that they are vegetarians.

Once you drop the HD down, you have to lose some of the special abilities or it becomes overpowered for its hit dice, which is a bad creature design.

I added that a phoenix song acts as a calm emotions spell in spell-like abilities.

Fawkes Phoenix
Hit Dice: 9d10+9 (58 hp)
BAB/Grapple: +9/+5
Attack: Talons +15 melee (1d4)
Full Attack: Talons + 15 melee (1d4) or eye strike +19 melee (blind or 2d4)
Special Attacks Eye strike, shriek
Special Qualities: Aerial transport, darkvision 60 ft., immunity to fire and petrification, low-light vision, restorative tears, spell-like abilities, vulnerability to cold
Saves Fort +7, Ref +11, Will +8
Abilities: Str 10, Dex 21, Con 12, Int 13, Wis 14, Cha 16
Skills: Hide +7, Listen +11, Knowledge (Geography) +10 , Sense Motive +11, and Spot +11
Feats: Dodge, Flyby Attack, Mobility, Weapon Finesse
Challenge Rating: 7
Alignment: Any good
Level Adjustment: Cohort +4

Fawkes phoenixes are small cousins to the larger phoenix. They have bright red feathers, except for bright yellow feathers that surround their black face and their long, golden tail feathers. They have beady black eyes and a sharp golden beak 1. They seem to glow faintly in dim light.

They have an enormous wingspan for their size, which allows them to fly even while carrying a heavy load. Their feathers always feel warm to the touch.

Every 6 months, a Fawkes phoenix immolates. A chick rises from the ashes, growing to maturity in a couple of hours. If a Fawkes phoenix dies prematurely, it merely begins the cycle once again. They can live for thousands of years.

A typical Fawkes phoenix stands 3 feet tall and weighs 30 pounds. They cannot speak but understand Common and Ignan.

They make loyal companions to anyone they deem worthy, usually exceptional individuals. Unfortunately, they are not suited to be familiars. However, Fawkes phoenixes can be extremely stingy with their boons. A phoenix only cries if someone is in grave danger. Fawkes phoenixes sing sorrowful songs when someone they loved has died, to lament the passing and to give solace to those grieving. It is unknown if they sing at other times.

A Fawkes phoenix can normally carry 24 lbs as a light load, 25 to 49 lbs. as a medium load, and 50-75 lbs. as a heavy load. A Fawkes phoenix can fly even while carrying a heavy load though its speed drops to 40 feet and its maneuverability to good. Moreover, they have been known to carry much more than their size and strength allow.

Combat

Fawkes phoenixes only attack when they or their allies are threatened. They shriek at opponents to slow them down.

Aerial Transport (Su): Once a day for one continuous hour, a Fawkes phoenix can lift an excessive amount of weight as if it had a Strength of 25. It can fly at 40 feet with Good maneuverability while carrying a maximum of 600 lbs. After the hour is up, the Fawkes phoenix must drop its load or land. It can continue to fly at normal speed after that.

Eye Strike (Ex): As a full action, a Fawkes phoenix may charge a Medium or larger creature and attempt to gouge its eyes out. The Fawkes phoenix gains a +4 Circumstance bonus to hit as a normal attack and if successful, gouges out both its opponent's eyes, blinding it. A successful Reflex save (DC 19) negates the blinding, but the opponent takes 2d4 points of damage instead. Creatures with more than two eyes are not blinded until all of their eyes are gouged out. The save is Dexterity-based.

Restorative Tears (Su): Three times a day as a standard action, a Fawkes can produce tears that remove one of the following conditions from an affected target: ability damage, ability drain, blinded, confused, dazed, dazzled, deafened, diseased, exhausted, fatigued, feebleminded, insanity, nauseated, negative levels, poisoned, severed body parts, sickened, and stunned. The tear also cures 4d8+13 hit points of damage as a cure critical wounds spell (CL 13). The tears do not restore levels or Constitution points lost due to death. These tears must be delivered directly from a Fawkes Phoenix; they cannot be bottled and used at another time or otherwise used to make palliative potions.

Spell-like Abilities (Sp): Twice a day as a standard action, a Fawkes phoenix can teleport as the spell. A Fawkes phoenix's song acts like a calm emotions spell (DC 15) for as long as it sings.

Skills: A Fawkes phoenix takes a -2 penalty to Hide skills due to its illumination, included in the statistics block.

1 In the movie Fawkes' beak is black; in the books, it is golden.

Debby

ShriekingDrake
2013-04-03, 09:26 AM
Debby makes a really good point about the problems associated lowering the HD. I suppose--and maybe I'm too hung up on the lowering HD/CR thing--you could do the following.

1. Because Rowling describes the phoenixes as pacifists, you could give the FP a penalty for attacks, except for the eye strike.

2. I like your original conception that eyes strike work only against huge or larger creatures.

3. You could get rid of the shriek ability. I know it makes a nice connection to the larger phoenixes and that's a good reason to keep it. That said, it's one less ability.

4. I liked the addition of calm emotions to the spell-like abilities. You could add remove fear.

I guess, in the end, I picture these phoenixes as pretty fragile, bold, but fragile.

I'll keep thinking about it. In the end, Debby is the expert here. She has a superior sense of game balance and mechanics. I'd trust her judgment any day over my musings.

Debihuman
2013-04-04, 03:10 AM
My only concern is that being a pacifist doesn't mean that it doesn't have an attack, it just means it won't attack. I noted this under Combat where it says that it doesn't attack unless it or its allies are threatened. Otherwise, it would never attacked the basilisk.

The shriek ability also follows the scene in the movie when Fawkes attacks the basilisk. The basilisk, stops attacking Harry momentarily and turns its eyes to Fawkes but doesn't strike. That's the sort of hesitation that slow does.

That's not to say that I couldn't make a reduced CR version but it won't follow the books or movie as well as this one does. This is really the minimum necessary to translate from the book/movie into a 3.5 creature.

In order to reduce the HD/CR, you have to sacrifice a feat, at least one special ability (shriek makes sense) and you could further hamstring it by stating that talons are always treated as secondary attacks (= 5 to attack). You could drop Natural Armor to +2 instead of the +4. Why would eye strike only affect Huge or larger creatures? A regular D20 basilisk is Medium sized. Perhaps you could state that the only creature ever attacked by a phoenix is a basilisk as they hate each other.

Debby

3WhiteFox3
2013-04-05, 01:16 PM
My only concern is that being a pacifist doesn't mean that it doesn't have an attack, it just means it won't attack. I noted this under Combat where it says that it doesn't attack unless it or its allies are threatened. Otherwise, it would never attacked the basilisk.

The shriek ability also follows the scene in the movie when Fawkes attacks the basilisk. The basilisk, stops attacking Harry momentarily and turns its eyes to Fawkes but doesn't strike. That's the sort of hesitation that slow does.

That's not to say that I couldn't make a reduced CR version but it won't follow the books or movie as well as this one does. This is really the minimum necessary to translate from the book/movie into a 3.5 creature.

In order to reduce the HD/CR, you have to sacrifice a feat, at least one special ability (shriek makes sense) and you could further hamstring it by stating that talons are always treated as secondary attacks (= 5 to attack). You could drop Natural Armor to +2 instead of the +4. Why would eye strike only affect Huge or larger creatures? A regular D20 basilisk is Medium sized. Perhaps you could state that the only creature ever attacked by a phoenix is a basilisk as they hate each other.

Debby

What about making the Phoenix not proficient with it's natural weapons? That's what D&D likes to do with it's peaceful, herbivore animals. While the Phoenix is obviously a Magical Beast, make it an exception thanks to it's largely pacifistic ways. It's not perfect by any stretch, but thought I'd mention it.

Debihuman
2013-04-05, 03:01 PM
I agree, that's why you'd treat it's natural weapons as Secondary. That gives it a -5 to attack rolls. It doesn't have a Strength bonus to damage, so saying it would use half its strength bonus to damage isn't necessary.

Debby

ShriekingDrake
2013-05-14, 07:33 PM
This thing still intrigues me. I still think we can get a CR 5 version of it. That to mee looks like it's sweet spot. I'll give it a try but would certainly welcome others thoughts. OP, Debby, what do you think. (OK, I know that Debby things this should be CR7, but if it were CR 5?)

ShriekingDrake
2013-05-19, 10:07 PM
I suspect I've screwed this up . . . but here's my take on the weaker slightly altered Fawkes phoenix. (Many thanks to backpackjack, the OP, who got me thinking about this in the first place.) I think of this creature being in the same vein as the Unicorn, not all that strong, but very interesting and flavorful. I hope Debby and others will help me adjust this as necessary.

Fawkes Phoenix
Hit Dice: 5d10+5 (32 hp)
BAB/Grapple: +5/+1
Attack: Talons +6 melee (1d4)
Full Attack: Talons + 6 melee (1d4) or eye strike +9 melee (blind or 2d4)
Special Attacks Eye strike
Special Qualities: Aerial transport, darkvision 60 ft., immunity to fire and petrification, low-light vision, restorative tears, song, spell-like ability, vulnerability to cold
Saves Fort +4, Ref +9, Will +3
Abilities: Str 10, Dex 21, Con 12, Int 16, Wis 14, Cha 16
Skills: Hide +6, Listen +8, Knowledge (Geography) +8 , Knowledge (History) +8 and Spot +8
Feats: Flyby Attack, Weapon Finesse
Challenge Rating: 6
Alignment: Usually Neutral
Level Adjustment: Cohort +10

http://images.wikia.com/harrypotter/images/9/94/Fawkes_The_Phoenix_%28Concept_Artwork_for_the_HP5_ movie%29.jpg

You see an attractive coquelicot-red bird, about the size and shape of a peacock, with long golden tail feathers, a golden beak and talons, and coal-black eyes. The noble bird radiates heat and glows faintly.

Fawkes phoenixes are rare and beautiful smaller cousins to the larger phoenix (MM2). They are a symbol of hope and good fortune to all who associate with them. They are intelligent, highly magical creatures with lifespans measured in the thousands of years.

A typical Fawkes phoenix stands 3 feet tall and weighs 30 pounds. Their feathers always feel warm to the touch and they glow faintly in dim light. They cannot speak but understand Common and Ignan.

They have an enormous wingspan for their size, which allows them to fly even while carrying an exceedingly heavy load. Normally, a Fawkes phoenix can carry 24 lbs as a light load, 25 to 49 lbs. as a medium load, and 50-75 lbs. as a heavy load. Though they have been known to carry up to 20 times their own weight for short durations with their Aerial Transport ability (see below).

Every 6 months, a Fawkes phoenix immolates. A chick rises from the ashes, growing to maturity in a couple of hours. If a Fawkes phoenix dies prematurely, it merely begins the cycle once again.

They make loyal companions to anyone they deem worthy, usually exceptional individuals. Unfortunately, they are not suited to be familiars, but can be summoned with a Summon Nature’s Ally VI spell.

Combat

Fawkes phoenixes will typically only attack when their allies are threatened, usually prefering to avoid combat.

Aerial Transport (Ex):: Once a day for one continuous hour, a Fawkes phoenix can lift an excessive amount of weight as if it had a Strength of 25. It can fly at 40 feet with Good maneuverability while carrying a maximum of 600 lbs. After the hour is up, the Fawkes phoenix must drop its load or land. It can continue to fly at normal speed after that.

Eye Strike (Ex): As a full action, a Fawkes phoenix may charge a Medium or larger creature to attempt to gouge its eyes out. The Fawkes phoenix gains a +4 Circumstance bonus to hit as a normal attack and, if successful, gouges out two of its opponent's eyes, blinding it. (Creatures with more than two eyes are not blinded until all of their eyes are gouged out.) A successful Reflex save (DC 19) negates the blinding, but the opponent takes 2d4 points of damage instead. The save is Dexterity-based.

Restorative Tears (Su): Up to three times a day, as a standard action, a Fawkes Phoenix can produce a tear that removes one of the following conditions from an affected target: ability damage, ability drain, blinded, confused, dazed, dazzled, deafened, diseased, exhausted, fatigued, feebleminded, insanity, nauseated, negative levels, paralyzed, poisoned, severed body parts, sickened, and stunned. The tear also cures 4d8+13 hit points of damage as a cure critical wounds spell (CL 13). The tears do not restore levels or Constitution points lost due to death. These tears must be delivered directly from a Fawkes Phoenix; they cannot be bottled and used at another time or otherwise used to make palliative potions.

Song (Ex): Once per hour as a standard action, a Fawkes phoenix can sing. Its song negates the fear effects (such as fear aura and frightful presence) of opponents and it removes any fear and fear conditions (such as, frightened, panicked, and shaken) from all non-opponents within 60 ft.

Spell-like Ability (Sp): Twice a day as a standard action, a Fawkes phoenix can teleport as the spell.

Debihuman
2013-05-20, 03:31 AM
Your phoenix doesn't have enough HD to justify the number of special abilities it has. It has too few hit points for the CR. Compare this to a Lamia CR 6 and you'll see what I mean. This makes it harder to judge accurately.

Weapon Finesse applies to talons too since a creature's natural attacks are always considered light weapons. I messed that up in my previous entry as well and will go back and edit it.

Attack: Talons +11 melee (1d4)
Full Attack: Talons + 11 melee (1d4) or eye strike +15 melee (blind or 2d4)

At 6th, level a wizard can cast lightning bolt twice which does 6d6 points of damage (21 points of damage on average). A single 6th level caster could take this out in two rounds. That's why it needs more HD and more hp to justify the Challenge Rating. It's rather squishy at the moment. A rogue's sneak attack is +3d6 at that level. A 6th level rogue with a longsword does 1d8+3d6 sneak attack for 15 points of damage on average, which is almost half its hit points. 32 hit points is just not enough for CR 6.

I recommend giving it another HD and another feat to help justify the CR 6 rating. I think it is really CR 5 at the moment.

Song (Ex): Once per hour as a standard action, a Fawkes phoenix can sing. Its song negates the fear effects (such as fear aura and frightful presence) of opponents and it removes any fear and fear conditions (such as, frightened, panicked, and shaken) from all non-opponents within 60 ft.

That makes it sound like it removes fear effects on its opponents rather than any fear effects from opponents. You need to write this a little more clearly.
If an opponent can cause fear (such as from a fear aura or frightful presence), the Fawkes phoenix can negate those effects. [Since the Fawkes phoenix only has 6 hit dice it shouldn't be able to affect fear effects that stem from creatures with more than double its hit dice otherwise it is too powerful.]. A non-opponent is an ally.

Song (Ex): Once per hour as a standard action, a Fawkes phoenix can sing. Its song negates all fear effects (such as fear aura or frightful presence) from opponents with no more than twice its hit dice and removes fear and fear conditions (frightened, panicked and shaken) from all allies within 60 feet.

Debby

ShriekingDrake
2013-05-20, 10:36 AM
Fawkes Phoenix
Hit Dice: 6d10+6 (39 hp)
Initiative: +9
BAB/Grapple: +6/+2
Attack: Talons +12 melee (1d4)
Full Attack: Talons + 12 melee (1d4) or eye strike +16 melee (blind or 2d4)
Special Attacks Eye strike
Special Qualities: Aerial transport, darkvision 60 ft., immunity to fire and petrification, low-light vision, restorative tears, song, spell-like ability, vulnerability to cold
Saves Fort +5, Ref +10, Will +4
Abilities: Str 10, Dex 21, Con 12, Int 16, Wis 14, Cha 16
Skills: Hide +7, Listen +9, Knowledge (Geography) +9 , Knowledge (History) +9 and Spot +9
Feats: Flyby Attack, Improved Initiative, Weapon Finesse
Challenge Rating: 6
Alignment: Usually Neutral
Level Adjustment: Cohort +10

http://images.wikia.com/harrypotter/images/9/94/Fawkes_The_Phoenix_%28Concept_Artwork_for_the_HP5_ movie%29.jpg

You see an attractive coquelicot-red bird, about the size and shape of a peacock, with long golden tail feathers, a golden beak and talons, and coal-black eyes. The noble bird radiates heat and glows faintly.

Fawkes phoenixes are rare and beautiful smaller cousins to the larger phoenix (MM2). They are a symbol of hope and good fortune to all who associate with them. They are intelligent, highly magical creatures with lifespans measured in the thousands of years.

A typical Fawkes phoenix stands 3 feet tall and weighs 10 pounds. Their feathers always feel warm to the touch and they glow faintly in dim light. They cannot speak--except with other avians--but understand Common and Ignan.

They have an enormous wingspan for their size, which allows them to fly even while carrying an exceedingly heavy load. Normally, a Fawkes phoenix can carry 24 lbs as a light load, 25 to 49 lbs. as a medium load, and 50-75 lbs. as a heavy load. Though they have been known to carry over 100 times their own weight for short durations with their Aerial Transport ability (see below).

Every 6 months, a Fawkes phoenix immolates. A chick rises from the ashes, growing to maturity in a couple of hours. If a Fawkes phoenix dies prematurely, it merely begins the cycle once again.

They make loyal companions to anyone they deem worthy, usually exceptional individuals. Unfortunately, they are not suited to be familiars, but can be summoned with a Summon Nature’s Ally VI spell.

Combat

Fawkes phoenixes will typically only attack when their allies are threatened, usually prefering to avoid combat.

Aerial Transport (Ex): Once a day for one continuous hour, a Fawkes phoenix can lift an excessive amount of weight as if it had a Strength of 28. Beings lifted via this ability need not exert any effort to remain borne by the Fawkes phoenix. It can fly at 40 feet with Good maneuverability while carrying a maximum of 1200 lbs. After the hour is up, the Fawkes phoenix must drop its load or land. It can continue to fly at normal speed after that.

Eye Strike (Ex): As a full action, a Fawkes phoenix may charge a Medium or larger creature to attempt to gouge its eyes out. The Fawkes Phoenix gains a +4 Circumstance bonus to hit as a normal attack and, if successful, gouges out two of its opponent's eyes, blinding it. (Creatures with more than two eyes are not blinded until all of their eyes are gouged out.) A successful Reflex save (DC 19) negates the blinding, but the opponent takes 2d4 points of damage instead. The save is Dexterity-based.

Restorative Tears (Su): Up to three times a day, as a standard action, a Fawkes Phoenix can produce a tear that removes one of the following conditions from an affected target: ability damage, ability drain, blinded, charmed, compelled, confused, dazed, dazzled, deafened, diseased, exhausted, fatigued, feebleminded, insanity, nauseated, negative levels, paralyzed, poisoned, severed body parts, sickened, and stunned. The tear also cures 4d8+13 hit points of damage as a cure critical wounds spell (CL 13). The tears do not restore levels or Constitution points lost due to death. These tears must be delivered directly from a Fawkes Phoenix; they cannot be bottled and used at another time or otherwise used to make palliative potions.

Song (Su): Once per hour as a standard action, a Fawkes Phoenix can sing. Its song negates all fear effects (such as fear aura or frightful presence) from opponents with no more than twice its hit dice for up to ten minutes and immediately removes all fear and fear conditions (frightened, panicked, and shaken) from all allies within 60 feet.

Spell-like Ability (Sp): Twice a day as a standard action, a Fawkes Phoenix can teleport as the spell.

Debihuman
2013-05-20, 11:12 AM
Melee is BAB + Dex modifier (weapon finesse) and Size modifier. So talons should be + 12 melee and eye strike should be + 16 melee.

Otherwise, it looks good.

Debby

ShriekingDrake
2013-05-20, 12:33 PM
You say it to me enough and . . . eventually . . . it will get through to me. Changes applied. Many thanks for your patience and indulgence.

Debihuman
2013-05-20, 01:16 PM
It took me forever to remember size modifiers so don't feel bad.

Debby

backpackjack
2013-05-28, 08:48 PM
This is totally great. Thanks so much Debby and shriekingdrake. You've both made this much better than I could. I wish I could return the kindness.
--BPJ

ShriekingDrake
2013-05-30, 10:20 AM
It was a great idea. And most of the ideas were yours and Debby's. I'm miserable at the monster creation rules and could not have made any contribution of substance without the two of you.

I'm obliged to you for having proffered the Fawkes phoenix in the first place. I think either my lower CR build or Debby's slightly higher CR build would work in many worlds.