PDA

View Full Version : Titan idea-based community worldbuild

Sodalite
2013-03-19, 10:22 PM
So, a little ago, in the Recruiting boards, I came upon the idea of making a setting out of Titan, the moon of Saturn, maybe with a few small changes. However, I ran out of ideas for that pretty quickly, and sort of let it die up to this point, before seeing a few community world-building threads here and started feeling like going at it again, hopefully now with the of you, other goers of the Worldbuilding forum.

To start, I would like it if we could all use the highly-simplistic idea-list method where each post contributes one idea, listed with a number, and also preferably not incredibly long, at least not a first. Also, try not to contradict too much of what's known of Titan at the time of this post, though if anything comes out after obviously there'll be some difference, unless we happen to have an oracle in our midst.

Now, if I may, I'll present the first idea.

1: There are three tool using species, though even they are in the early stages of such. One native to each of the polar lake-groups, and one native to the largest equatorial oasis.

Silverbit
2013-03-20, 03:34 AM
2. There is also a species of roughly sentient methane swimmers, that the other species use as aquatic transport.

Sodalite
2013-03-24, 12:54 PM
*Cough* Nobody else has any ideas?

Grinner
2013-03-24, 02:04 PM
*Cough* Nobody else has any ideas?

It's an interesting concept, but it's also poorly suited for a community project. How many people here think about hypothetical biochemistries? How many people here are familiar with the known geography of Titan?

The topic you've chosen is very narrow and very technical. If the project is to have even a chance of getting off the ground, potential contributors will need at least a basic primer on Titanian exobiology.

Sodalite
2013-03-24, 02:28 PM
Hm...I have more thinking to do before I can rectify that, unfortunately. I suppose the thread should be closed.

Moriwen
2013-03-24, 08:03 PM
What Grinner said. The topic was interesting, but while I'm at college majoring in the sciences, I don't know enough about this particular topic to contribute (and don't have time to research it for one thread for fun; see above re: college).

If there was some sort of brief summary in the first post of the basic facts about Titan you want us to take for granted, that would be super-helpful. I know it has ice caps, that's about it.