PDA

View Full Version : Master of Masks - Bold Strategy

Captainspork
2013-03-20, 03:23 AM
So I found the Master of Masks PrC and realized it perfectly fits the flavor of an NPC I want to introduce into a campaign I am currenty running. Thing is, everything I've read suggests this class is pretty underwhelming mechanically. What I'm wondering is if anyone knows of a homebrew fix for this, or has a suggestion for one? Being the DM, I could introduce really whatever I wanted, but ideally I'd like it to be somewhat balanced and realistic (ie not tier 1). It doesn't have to be optimized, as my PCs are mostly tier 3ish, it just has to be a bit more useful.

My thoughts now would be to expand on the spell-like abilities of some of the masks (archmage) while possibly throwing out the more useless ones. The ability to wear multiple masks at once seems silly to me from a practical perspective, and could probably be replaced if individual masks were stronger. Not sure how the numbers would work out on this though. Thoughts?

SilverLeaf167
2013-03-20, 03:49 AM
Personally I would start by increasing the caster level progression to 8/10 or something, lacking a caster level at 1st and 10th level. Most casters already have to go through some hoops to enter the class due to the entry requirements, no need to penalize them further. Also, change the CL on the SLAs to equal character level, not class level.

Another possibility is making characters choose either 3/4 BAB + better skills or spellcasting progression so even non-casters can feel like they're getting much more out of the class. The class is very uninviting for the skill monkeys most likely to be interested in it.

Regarding the Many Faces class feature, I like to imagine them wearing each mask on a different side of their head and simply magically rotating them when they want to switch. Bonus points if you wear a hood that hides the masks not currently on your face. I know I've seen this in a cartoon somewhere, but can't remember where exactly...

WhatBigTeeth
2013-03-20, 05:23 AM
I wrote this post 3 times, each time sketching out a method, filling it in, and realizing it was *way* too elaborate for this discussion.

But long story short, I'd focus on making sure the MoM's abilities were appropriate for a character of any HD who happened to join the class (which means buffing most of them and recalibrating formulas based on character level or HD), using class level to enforce fairly strict limits on number of masks available and the daily uses of mask abilities (including masks which don't currently have daily uses), and giving the MoM the ability to actually craft magic masks.

I'd be torn between buffing the casting progression up, replacing it with a built-in casting progression, and stripping it out to justify buffing the masks even further (stop casting advancement and give the MoM some level 9 spell-equivalent effects, and it wouldn't be the wizards or clerics banking in on the class's abilities).

Coidzor
2013-03-20, 06:48 AM
Being able to combine abilities into one mask which alters its appearance quickly and the quickchange between abilities were how I rationalized the idea myself.

Chameleon is a less hampered substitute with a similar flavor that may give some insight on the Master of Masks by comparing the two.

Telonius
2013-03-20, 08:04 AM
The class skill list is often something that gets left out of discussions of balance, but I really think it applies here.

The two most intuitive entries into Master of Masks are through Rogue or Bard. Both are skillmonkeys classes. But Master of Masks has a grand total of 8 class skills. Tumble and Use Magic Device are absent. If you're entering it as a Rogue, Search and Disable Device are also absent. Unless you have Able Learner, you're looking at cross-classing at least two (possibly four) of your key skills, and you only have 4+Int skill points to work with.

So, to fix that, I'd increase the number of class skills, and possibly think about increasing the skill points to 6+Int.

Piggy Knowles
2013-03-20, 08:46 AM
Instead of having MoM boost spellcasting, you could have it boost existing class features of another class, like Uncanny Trickster or Legacy Champion.

If you had it do that every other level, and spruced up the skill list, you'd actually have something playable. Not insane, mind, but playable. For example, Rogue 5/MoM 10 at that point would have the abilities of a Rogue 10 in addition to full MoM abilities.

Mirakk
2013-03-20, 09:05 AM
A friend of mine made a Beguiler that he paired with Master of Masks. It was actually pretty awesome. Make sure you take Maximize Spell-Like Ability. He was able to use that to great effect with some of his masks.

This is how we interpreted it.

Normally you'd have to select a spell-like you possess, and you wouldn't be able to change it. However, when you select it without possessing one you can do it without declaring which SLA you want to use it for. So, when you suddenly possess a SLA by activating your mask, you then select one of your SLAs to be effected by the feat when the feat comes out of its "dormant" stage (before you qualified for the feat).

The feat is still only usable a set number of times per day, of course. This provided the balancing factor.

Talionis
2013-03-20, 11:12 AM
If you don't want to change anything, I saw in the Iron Chef challenge for Master of Masks, one chef used Artificer with it to add more enchantments to the individual masks. This can work well as each mask is a magic item that nothing prevents you from adding further enchantments to. Then as you eventually can switch masks with an immediate action, you can turn on and off Magical effects.

This makes individual masks more powerful without having to Homebrew. Since you are the DM this guy doesn't have to be a artificer, he could have paid someone else to further amplify the power of his masks.

Otherwise, I do like the Homebrew ideas of adding more skills and skill points possible granting a class abilty that functions like adaptive learning feat. the other good suggestion was advancing the entire class instead of casting. Both seem well thought out and completely balanced.

I always thought you ought to be able to make your mask disappear at level 1 or 2 since this is a class designed to allow you to impersonate people and the masks should aid in that at a very early level.

You can get inventive though. Make the Gladiator mask cause you to also be a full initiator and cast heroics four times on you so that you can pick three maneuvers and a Stance. If you don't choose to give them a recovery mechanic it can balance it out, but the flexibility to pick manevers is fun.

I have allowed my players to trade any spell-like ability on a mask that mimics a spell for a DM approved spell of the same level, chosen at the time of the masks creation and changeable by creating a new mask.

I also tend to read the abilities of the masks as uses per encounter instead of per day. This has been more fun for characters as they are less reluctant to use their abilities. But again my play group hasn't made me regret it. We also tend to do a lot in a day, so it helps to keep my guys from wanting to camp for the night after only one or two encounters.

Ardantis
2013-03-20, 11:35 AM
I have only seen the Master of Masks used in one interesting build- Person Man's Haberdash the Masked (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88633)

Haberdash was designed to have as many options as possible, and the MoM made this possible because the Gladiator Mask allows for proficiency with ALL weapons. This means all simple, martial, AND EXOTIC weapons.

I had a friend make a similar build in 3.0, when the Weapon Master from Sword and Fist had the same ability. Load up on weird and wonderful exotic weapons, get the Quick Draw feat, and go to town! Imagine boomerangs and orcish shot-puts and bolas and lassos and nets and everything else assaulting the enemy, causing their unusual effects.

Haberdash combines this with Factotum to keep the flavor of trickery while improving the action economy. Take Craven and with Assassin's Mask you have really good sneak attack. It's a solid build and darn cool.

navar100
2013-03-20, 11:42 AM
Regarding the Many Faces class feature, I like to imagine them wearing each mask on a different side of their head and simply magically rotating them when they want to switch. Bonus points if you wear a hood that hides the masks not currently on your face. I know I've seen this in a cartoon somewhere, but can't remember where exactly...

Man-E-Faces from He-Man cartoon?

sambouchah
2013-03-20, 12:37 PM
The ability to wear multiple masks at once seems silly to me from a practical perspective, and could probably be replaced if individual masks were stronger. Not sure how the numbers would work out on this though. Thoughts?

I always saw it as the Master of Masks pieces them together. Like the eyehole from the Archmage, the mouth of the dragon, etc

ScrambledBrains
2013-03-20, 12:52 PM
If I may plug a homebrewer of whom I respect the works, this is a decent improvement over the Master of Masks as is. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14400747#post14400747)