PDA

View Full Version : YouTube without Google+ attached?

Morph Bark
2013-03-20, 03:29 AM
I recently made a new YouTube account, because I hadn't done much with the old one and I wanted to start uploading videos (Let's Plays, anime/manga reviews, book reviews and attempts at voice acting) and wanted to have a name that represents myself well. Apparently things have changed since I made my old account, as I now have to have a gmail account to connect to it, and a Google+ account to go with it. So I go ahead and roll with it, and now I get a message telling me "your name does not comply with Google Plus' Names Policy".

What.

I even checked the Names Policy. It says that you can't have "Doctor" or other titles in it, it must represent you as a person, not a business or a group, and it can't have non-alphabetical signs in it. My name complies with all of those.

What am I doing wrong? :smallfrown:

Ashtagon
2013-03-20, 03:57 AM
Sounds like google is breaking the law. UK law at least. In the UK, everyone has the legal right (literally, "entitlement") to use a title that they are legally entitled (there's that word again) to use. So by denying you the use of the "doctor" title (assuming you are... entitled to use that title), they are denying a legal right.

These titles don't represent a business or anything. When you become entitled to use them, they are literally a part of your legal identity as a person.

Not that the law ever stopped google from doing anything :smallannoyed:

Badgerish
2013-03-20, 07:53 AM
Are you trying to use "Morph Bark" or similar? (or another non-real-name)

There used to be a thing where they required a 'real' name ("Joe Smith" over "Smithy", etc) but I thought they removed it, as that idea is non-functionally stupid.

Eldan
2013-03-20, 08:54 AM
Especially since there were apparently cases where people signed up who just happened to share the name of a celebrity, or had an unusual name that they didn't recognize... really, that happens every time someone tries to go "real name only" on the net.

Morph Bark
2013-03-20, 09:59 AM
Are you trying to use "Morph Bark" or similar? (or another non-real-name)

Nope, "Dyrk Right", which is a real name.

I don't even have Doctor or some other title in front of it or anything. Apparently I have until the 23rd to change it, but I sent in something to make an appeal for it.

Morph Bark
2013-03-22, 11:56 AM
Managed to solve my problem by disconnecting the Google+ account from the YouTube account. Kind of strange that they let you do that, even though you need to make a gmail account (and by extension a Google+ account) to use YouTube these days, though that was rather ridiculous to begin with.

Hopefully my gmail account won't also be suspended along with the Google+ account.