PDA

View Full Version : How Elan could save the day.

Red Lantern
2013-03-20, 04:05 AM
I think Elan could end up saving the day in the end.

We've seen that the MitD is apparently going to be a significant factor in xykon's evil scheme and that it responds to good people.

The thing is, many good characters might make arguments to the MitD that would be over it's head, assuming it has one. So their arguments might be sound but too complex or abstract for it to grasp.

I mean, someone Ochul might try talking the MitD out of helping xykon because his plan would destroy all freedom and liberty if it succeeds, replacing it with tyranny and oppression, and could destroy the universe if it fails.

MitD: "Freedom? Liberty? Tyranny? Oppression? Universe? What are those? I don't understand."

Elan: "You shouldn't do what xykon says because he's a great big mean jerk!"

MitD: "Hmm, yeah, that is right."

blueblade
2013-03-20, 06:23 AM
All true. But really, the plot device is the MITD is a massive joker in the final showdown. All we know is that he's powerful and conflicted.

For all we know, it could be O'Chul that tips him over to the side of good. or Roy. or Hinjo. or Haley. Elan is a possibility, but nothing more..

Once a Fool
2013-03-20, 07:01 AM
I'm going to go with O-Chul, because he's the only one of those characters that the MitD actually has an emotional connection to.

And O-Chul had no problems relating to tMitD and making himself understood while he was a prisoner (even teaching him along the way). I don't think he would suddenly stop being able to relate.

Jubal_Barca
2013-03-20, 07:13 AM
I also think I'm right in saying that the MitD is basically a child (at least, not fully grown/fully gained of all powers). It's not necessarily that dumb fundamentally (it learned Go pretty fast).

dps
2013-03-20, 09:53 AM
There's also a reasonable possibility, I think, that the MitD might not even play any significant role in the rest of the story. He stays in his box and doesn't do anything except say, "Wait, what gate?" again at the end. All the seeming forshadowing about what he might do may just be a giant (no pun intended) red herring. Even though Xykon has him charmed to eat Redcloak if Redcloak betrays him, if/when Redcloak does betray Xykon, will the MitD even realize what's happening? And if he doesn't realize it, will the spell trigger?

hamishspence
2013-03-20, 10:00 AM
There's also a reasonable possibility, I think, that the MitD might not even play any significant role in the rest of the story. He stays in his box and doesn't do anything except say, "Wait, what gate?" again at the end.

In one of the books, I think maybe Paladin Blues or Dungeon Crawling Fools, commentary says that the Monster will be revealed shortly before the end of the strip.

dps
2013-03-20, 10:16 AM
In one of the books, I think maybe Paladin Blues or Dungeon Crawling Fools, commentary says that the Monster will be revealed shortly before the end of the strip.

Revealing what he is doesn't mean that he'll actually do anything:

"Finally, I can get out of that box and everyone can see me! This feels great! Hmm, I think I was supposed to eat someone, but I can't remember for sure. Oh well, guess I'll take a nap."

FlawedParadigm
2013-03-20, 01:03 PM

So when he is revealed, do you want to be the one to say "THE END IS NIGH!" or shall I do it?

DoctorDestructo
2013-03-20, 02:09 PM
Revealing what he is doesn't mean that he'll actually do anything:

"Finally, I can get out of that box and everyone can see me! This feels great! Hmm, I think I was supposed to eat someone, but I can't remember for sure. Oh well, guess I'll take a nap."

It's an enchantment by Xykon, though, and since Xykon is already well-aware of how lazy the MitD can be, it will probably override its natural laziness and put it into full-blown kill mode.

It will probably be how Redcloak meets his end at the climax, being taken by surprise by an actually-threatening MitD after revealing his seemingly flawless betrayal. If there's any contingency that Redcloak could have possibly missed in his deliberations about getting rid of Xykon when his usefulness has been expended, it would certainly be expecting the MitD to DO something.