PDA

View Full Version : Campaign Advice: Developing a Colony

Malrone
2013-03-20, 04:28 AM
But not a conventional one, for most.

I'm running the Sunless Citadel for a small group consisting mostly of my siblings. I've adapted what I could of it to 3.5, but left the dungeon mostly as it was, and have been rolling with the punches elsewise. I'm a very new DM, but I think things are progressing along alright.

Now, the party (druid, ranger, barbarian) has worked with the kobolds which recently moved into the dungeon from the get-go. They wiped out the rival goblin tribe to a man, recovered the stolen dragon whelp with no strings attached, and have been taking other side quests that have encouraged them to explore parts of the dungeon they were missing. All the same, the party has passed up or ignored a few things that matter (for all that I've been ensuring they get whatever loot they missed as 'quest' rewards) which were scooped up by the kobolds.

Right now it looks like they will eliminate the BBEG and leave the kobolds to their devices after. The druid is fond of the quirky dragonling handler, after all. The party is being offered a rather large chest to preserve the [Evil] magic tree that the heart of the dungeon, and have expressed little care towards destroying it IC or OOC. If I'm not surprised, the kobolds stand to inherit:
1. Said magic tree, which bears enchanted fruit and can dominate humanoids.
2. Defensible underground ruins of an old cult of dragon worshippers containing-
3. Libraries of old draconic and new druidic lore (ignored by party), and
4. A statue that boosts Cha for one day (kobolds led by a sorc).
5. Pseudomagical ferrous ore that forges into transparent metal.
6. Room and food enough to rear their dragon.
7. Underdark access.
8. A prisoner gnome cleric (likely to be devoured with much due pomp)

The nearby settlements are so far unaware of the goings-ons in the dungeon, but that is of course subject to change. Winter is settling on the land, as well. So I ask, what do the kobolds do as time marches on?

Edit:
Elaboration for clarification-
The Gulthias Tree: A gnarled leafless growth that sprouted from the stake forced through a vampire's heart. At midsummer, it fruits a single apple which acts as a Heal spell to those that eat it. An albino fruit is borne during midwinter, which is save-or-die on consumption. The seeds of either fruit grow into minor evil plant creatures. A humanoid bound to the tree physically for 24 hours is absorbed, then later ejected. Once the process completes, they are "forever corrupted and beyond redemption," are under the effects of a Permanent Barkskin spell, and serve the tree and its keeper. It is known that someone may bond with the tree as its keeper and caretaker, but the terms and effects are undefined.

BBEG: Belak the Outcast. NE Druid that keeps the tree, and used to have a hand in leading the goblin tribe native to the ruins. He does not miss the goblins, but is infuriated at the setbacks the players have caused.

Nephelium Ore: Ferrous ore affected by strong magical saturation, it is translucent impure and smelts clear. Rare and valuable, but otherwise steel made from it is but steel. This ore is rich about the underground grove the Gulthias Tree resides in.

Gnome Cleric: A level two cleric, he was long a prisoner of the goblins. The player party passed by the jailhouse, wiped out the tribe, then retreated to rest and regroup. The kobolds probed the dungeon after the party departed, and took ownership of the caged gnome along with other valuables. He is currently being kept hidden, since the kobolds understand the party may turn against them if his existence is revealed.

Malrone
2013-03-22, 09:17 PM
The party has dug a little deep through the dungeon, then retreated for a resupply. They warned the town that the fruit they were getting in trade from the goblins was evil, and the trees that were being grown from them were evil monsters. They haven't, however, told the town about the kobolds, nor anything specifically about the Tree. Since the thorp isn't exactly a hotbed of adventurers or scholars, the kobolds aren't in much danger,