PDA

View Full Version : Necrocarnum damage type?

Sherishade
2013-03-20, 05:49 AM
Ok so i was looking at options in healing and saw that an incarnate can heal to a point with a soulmeld; unfortunately this deals damage to you. So being that i've always wanted to play a necrocnate incarnate, i thought i'll take the tombborn soul feat and just negative energy my self while healing allies.

Then i realized that the soulmeld gauntlets that allow you to use necrocarnum for damage purposes seems to be an untyped damage. But it could be assumed to be negative energy damage from it only damaging living targets. But again it doesn't say if would interact with undead especially the necrocarnum zombie you can get.

So my question is, does it say somewhere i haven't found what type of damage the necrocarnum gloves do; and/or what would you rule if a player in your group asked you?

Vaz
2013-03-20, 07:20 AM
if a bonus not mention a type it is untyed: qed same applies here.

Psyren
2013-03-20, 07:43 AM
By RAW it is untyped. Precedent is all over the map though - another necrocarnum meld gives (and protects against) cold damage, while still another is profane. Nothing wrong with sticking with untyped though, except insofar as it dashing your hopes of harming yourself to heal.

Person_Man
2013-03-20, 10:53 AM
So my question is, does it say somewhere i haven't found what type of damage the necrocarnum gloves do; and/or what would you rule if a player in your group asked you?

Necrocarnum Gloves aren't a soulmeld. I assume you're referring to Necrocarnum Touch. Although it only effects living creatures, the damage from Necrocarnum Touch is untyped, like a Warlock's Edritch Blast, and thus does not heal anyone. A similar restriction effects other Incarnum related abilities, such as Arcane Focus, Psychic Focus, and the Ironsoul Forgemaster's Weapon Bond. As far as I can tell, it's basically just a limiting factor that the writers wedged in, and not an outgrowth of the Necrocarnum fluff.

But if you're an Incarnate and want to heal, take a look at the Soulspark Familiar and Theraputic Mantle soulmelds.

Soulspark Familiar creates a little creature that can make touch attacks for a little damage. It's mostly useless beyond very low levels, because it scales so poorly and is easily killed. But investing essentia in it grants the Soulspark Familiar Fast Healing. Thus you can buy any weapon with the Vampiric enhancement, attack your own Soulspark for non-lethal damage, and basically gives your entire party unlimited out of combat healing.

The Theraputic Mantle is a lot more useful, in that it improves any healing effect by 2 * essentia invested points. ANY healing effect, not just spells. So you have a Vampiric weapon, it now heals 1d6 + (2*essentia invested) points per successful attack. If you take 1 level of Crusader or 2 Feats to get the Martial Spirit stance, it will also heal you 2 + (2*essentia invested) points per successful attack. If you use a wand to cast Lesser Vitality (Spell Compondium) on someone, it heals 1 + (2*essentia invested) points per turn. If you're psionic, you can use one of the Vampiric powers. And so on.

Note that both soulmelds function this way unbound from any chakra.

Sherishade
2013-03-20, 06:51 PM
Wow Person_Man that was a great in depth alternative thank you. Thank you everyone else to i was afraid of it being an untyped without much of an argument to the contrary. thanks everyone.