PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a build

Parra
2013-03-20, 07:00 AM
So I'm helping a friend build his character for a long-term campaign and Im a little stuck on where to take the build after level 12. His theme (if you can call it that) is 'awesome at throwing daggers'

The build i have thus far is Bard 4/fighter 2/barb 1/Master Thrower 5 using Dragonfire Inspiration, Song of the Heart and Words of Creation to boost his (and the parties) damage. Problem Im having is what to do with him after this as he would then be 'awesome at throwing daggers'

Any thoughts?

The rest of the group is Warblade, Crusader, Druid, Factotum, Wizard/Cleric(me)

Arc_knight25
2013-03-20, 07:37 AM
For a dex based thrower
Halfling would be a good choice for race from the +1 to hit for light thrown weapons as well as the +1 from being small.

I would change the bard levels for maybe Rogue or Scout levels. Your less support for the party but doing more damage with Sneak attack/Skirmish. The extra 2 skill points a level is nice as well. Evasion is another perk.

I'm guessing the Barbarian level is just for the increase in Base movement.

Fighter of course for the BAB and the 2 feats.

I would rather give up the Barbarian level and throw more into Fighter and get the additional feats. All your lossing is rage and the 10ft increase in movement.

Once you max out your levels in the prestige class, I would alternate between Rogue/Scout levels and fighter levels.

If you wanted more feats stick more with the fighter. If you want more skill points and sneak/skirmish damage then go with Rogue/Scout.

Parra
2013-03-20, 07:52 AM
The only reason i put in the barb level is because he gets nothing for the 3rd level fighter where as with the barbarian he gets the rage/movement.

he is actually a Glimmerskin Halfling, I didn't mention it because I didn't think it mattered. He quite likes the Dragonfire stuff (which peaks at around 8d6 bonus damage at level 6) so the bard levels are stuck, everything else is up for grabs. But I figure by the time he gets through Master Thrower he should have enough potential damage. Rapid shot & Palm Throw along with the dragonfire stuff puts his damage around the 48d6 mark in a round (plus adding 8d6 to every party members attacks).
The DM is aware of this potential so we expect energy resistances to appear fairly early and with relative frequency. With that in mind he needs other options. In preference, not straight up damage buffs. I was thinking swordsage but he played one in the last campaign and we might have another guy joining us that wants to play one.

Drackstin
2013-03-20, 08:00 AM
one thing i can think of is maybe specialized daggers. multiplying and returning, so when he throws one it counts as 6, and he gets it back, the other thing is maybe throw away daggers with the explosive trait, little expensive but worth it, if he has a little extra cash, exploding and multiplying make a good trump card.

Darrin
2013-03-20, 08:32 AM
Problem Im having is what to do with him after this as he would then be 'awesome at throwing daggers'

You didn't mention sources available. If ToB is on the table, then Warblade + Song of the White Raven or Warblade + Bloodstorm Blade.

If ToB is not on the table... I'm a little rusty on PrCs that advance Inspire Courage. Dread Pirate or Virtuoso, maybe?

Parra
2013-03-20, 08:45 AM
everything is on the table but everything needs DM approval both because the campaign world has a few quirks (none of which should apply to this character as he is mostly non-magical) and to stop utter sillyness in builds

Grasharm
2013-03-20, 09:24 AM
I assume your happy with your build to this point and just want some suggestions on things that could add. The warblade into bloodstorm blade seems like a good fit but if you want to despecify your role or enhance another area other than throwing you could go a couple of other ways.

To give you something in a more close combat area Frostburn has Frostrager which your barb class qualifies you for. Theoretically at 15th level have your friends pummel you while raging if your inspiration has a cold dragon base and heal you as you absorb the cold damage from your own inspiration. Plus you gain unarmed meele and ac bonuses so you are no longer strictly a thrower. You can do some damage up close. Actually you'd do more.

If you are looking into less combat oriented stuff to make you more of a "Face" character since you seem like the best candidate of the group you mentioned you could go Uncanny trickster from complete scoundrel for it's three levels. The high skill points Will give you a bit of an edge in social interactions and you can up your Bard or barbarian rage abilities. At 15 add a fortune feat and finish out as a Fortunes friend. Again its about a high skill career.

Probably your best bet is Dragon shaman from PHBII for more dragon and widespread buff goodness.

Also there are worse things than just running bard up the rest of the way. Speaking of which have you checked with your GM about inspire courage. Because at this point if what I read from your build is correct your only adding +1d6 from 1st level bard. Not sure why you took the other 3 levels. Cant be for inspire competence so is there a 2nd level spell you had to have?

Parra
2013-03-20, 09:56 AM
To begin with it was only going to be 3 bard levels to give 3 bardic music uses. This meshes well with the spell Inspirational Boost and the item Badge of Valor both of which give a +1 boost to inspire courage and useable 3 times a day. Along with Song of the Heart this would give him a 3/day 4d6 boost to his/party damage. Words of Creation, to be taken at 6th, doubles that up to 8d6. DM has ok'd this (though I can tell it makes him nervous)

The 4th bard level was not specifically for the spells (though it was certainly a nice addition) but that it also added to bab, ref/will. It just seemed better than the alternatives.

The Factotum is filling the role of Face/Skill monkey though a little redundancy is never a bad thing. The Dragon Shaman looks like it might be an interesting addition to the character, the player does have a bit of a thing for dragons in general.

herrhauptmann
2013-03-20, 10:12 AM
Level of rogue with Craven. Get level on all Sneak Attack, and it multiplies on crits.
Next is Telling blow (i think) Sneak Attack on crits.

Find a way to make AOOs with ranged/thrown weapons. Then take sneak attack of opportunity. (There's one in epic, and one in dragon mag)

Next, combat reflexes, then improved and greater combat reflexes. Now he's getting iterative attacks on AOOs. Dragon mag.
Doublehit, two melee attacks if you're using dual weapons, at the cost of a single AOO attempt. Mini handbook.