/facepalm

The Glyphstone
2013-03-20, 02:12 PM
Was there a manager within earshot?

Karoht
2013-03-20, 02:45 PM
Was there a manager within earshot?

Actually, yes.

And a few hours later, while the co-worker was on lunch, he came over and asked me if he had heard correctly. I confirmed, only for him to point out that the coworker in question barely gets his work done, ignores some processes, and constantly leaves a mess of his workstation. Complaints I've made in the past.

Yeah, that's why it was Facepalm worthy.

Dr.Epic
2013-03-20, 04:16 PM
"Hey Dilbert, what do you call it when a guy from middle management goes all the way to upper management?"

"I don't know. What?"

"A promotion."

"Oh. Here's a memo."
Remember when Family used to be funny. I do. I miss those days.

Gnome Alone
2013-03-20, 04:29 PM
Ha, I would've guessed "/facepalm" because managers often end up doing less work.

Or because sitting around going "I like to work hard!" at work is kinda lame, even if not in earshot of managerial folk.

But no, just full of it, eh?

The Glyphstone
2013-03-20, 04:37 PM
I asked because I assumed he knew there was a manager nearby and was trying to suck up to them.

Grinner
2013-03-20, 05:13 PM
I asked because I assumed he knew there was a manager nearby and was trying to suck up to them.

"Hi there! I like to work hard! Also, I'm gunning for your job!"

There's something wrong about that statement... :smalltongue:

Octopus Jack
2013-03-21, 09:46 AM
One from a place I was working at a couple months ago:

'He's not a clever cookie, he bought a nine grand security system from us.'

Barmoz
2013-03-21, 10:26 AM
In my experience, people who think management is not hard work lack the skillset for and understanding of what management entails. Incompetence can and does exist at any level with an organization, but generalizing that the levels with more responsibility are less demanding is ridiculous. That said, it sounds like the person in the OP isn't even qualified for their existing role, much less a higher one.

Karoht
2013-03-21, 01:27 PM
In my experience, people who think management is not hard work lack the skillset for and understanding of what management entails. Incompetence can and does exist at any level with an organization, but generalizing that the levels with more responsibility are less demanding is ridiculous. That said, it sounds like the person in the OP isn't even qualified for their existing role, much less a higher one.

This.

Management isn't grunt work, but it is a lot of work.
When someone says they like hard work but then fail at easy tasks and then thinks they are management material... I lol'd. So did my boss.

From the same coworker not a few days prior.
"Today has been really busy"
*sound effects from angry birds on smart phone*
It was one of the easiest days we have had in weeks, and he still wasn't keeping up.

valadil
2013-03-21, 03:55 PM
In my experience, people who think management is not hard work lack the skillset for and understanding of what management entails.

Yup. We recently started working with a bunch of project managers. If I had to sum up what they do in one word it would be "shmooze." This comes easy to some and looks easy to others, but to do it on demand for hours on end every single day is no easy task.

GnomeFighter
2013-03-22, 04:23 AM
Ye, the people who think management is easy are the ones who can't be trusted to work on there own and don't look after their staff. In most management it is easy to not do your job. Thats not the same as being an easy job to do.

scurv
2013-03-22, 09:20 PM
If it was not for the rules of this forum I could have so much fun with this one. But I shall proceed and attempt to keep it clean.(Sadly many of these I have paper to back)

1- He reads poetry, So that means he is going to kill people
2- I do not trust him because he does not think the same things I do.
3- His parents have medical issues, I think that means he is a rapist
4- I don't understand when are we ever going to use this (Said a classmate/co-worker of mine in an electrical engineering course while he was working in his field of study. BTW He got promoted quite a few times just due to his non threatening intellect)
5- I don't like being around your mother, I am afraid I am going to catch her stroke (Although it is not from a co-worker The lady in question was a registered nurse who said it)

Bhu
2013-03-23, 01:45 PM
I was once accused of being a communist because i read books.