PDA

View Full Version : Making the most of a Coure Eladrin Familiar

Crake
2013-03-20, 01:16 PM
Ok, so I'm gonna be trying to get my DM to let me have a Coure Eladrin familiar for my wizard using Improved Familiar instead of Celestial Familiar (for reasons in game, not just because I feel like it) and I want to look for ways to make it as useful as possible. I don't want to be too cheesy, but making it powerful is ok, most of the people in the party have something quite powerful already, and I gave up the item that the DM designed to be my special item because it was gonna eventually turn me into a lich, which wouldn't have stuck well with the paladin (and wouldn't really be something my character would do either).

Anyway enough about that, back to the familiar. I'm thinking of taking advantage of the whopping 24 dex they come with, possibly using ranged attacks to offset the poor bab it gets from me. Something like outfitting her with a tiny quiver of elhonna and some bane arrows for various enemies (undead, evil outsiders, goblinoids, elves[for them pesky drow], abberations) and a holy bow, so if she hits an evil enemy with the right kind of bane arrow (which should be easy for her to determine with all the knowledge skills I have) She'd be hitting for 1d4+1+4d6 damage at +17 to hit (+7 dex, +5 bab[I'm level 10 btw], +2 size and +3 from the bane arrows being treated as +3)

I'm also thinking about giving her some ranks in open lock or the like, giving her some thieves tools and trickery devotion so she can scout and pick locks safely incase of traps.

I was considering giving her brew potion as it was the only item creation I don't have and I'm fairly sure that her CL4 from spell-like abilities would have qualified, but one of our clerics recently retrained an old feat into that so that's unnecessary. I'll be picking up some ranks in UMD next level from loremaster, so she'll also be able to use those in a tight spot.

I'll also be seeing if I can roll stats for her, the DM let the druid roll stats (4d6 drop lowest, the players get 5d6 drop two lowest) for his couatl animal companion that he got, so I figure he might let me roll for my familiar.

The biggest issue I think is going to be deciding what feat to take for her, as everything else is pretty much straightforward. Skills might come into play if she rolls a particularly high int and I need to decide where to put skillpoints. Tumble will probably be the first stop, but after that I'm not sure.

Flickerdart
2013-03-20, 02:38 PM
Coure Eladrin make absolutely fantastic scouts, so I would recommend a feat that complements this role - probably Darkstalker.

Crake
2013-03-20, 03:24 PM
Considering they can turn incorporeal at will, is darkstalker really an efficient use of that feat? That said, if it forces a listen check of infinite DC when she's incorporeal then she'd technically be immune to being detected by those extrasensory abilities, right?

Flickerdart
2013-03-20, 04:18 PM
Considering they can turn incorporeal at will, is darkstalker really an efficient use of that feat? That said, if it forces a listen check of infinite DC when she's incorporeal then she'd technically be immune to being detected by those extrasensory abilities, right?
Blindsense and Blindsight can detect incorporeal creatures just fine.