PDA

View Full Version : A Day in Utopia IC

Cogidubnus
2013-03-20, 01:19 PM
At various points within the last week, each of you was found by a dispatch runner. A message had been sent, a request for help from the Carnassus Sector. Each of you has the time and right to respond to this request, and the papers to allow you to travel there. You have been asked to come to the living quarters of a high-ranking Sector Manager, responsible for a great deal of the factory production that occurs within Carnassus. The meeting time is in the middle of the day, and normally there would be no one else on the streets at this time. But it is "market day", where the people of the Sector can trade during their lunch hours and outside work hours. So there are a few other people on the streets, but very few on the monorail. By the time you all depart at the same station, you know that you're all there for the same reason, but it isn't proper to speak to strangers on public transport, so you wait patiently until you eventually are introduced by your mutual host.

No more than 10 feet from the monorail doors, a grey-haired, bearded man in clean but torn clothing runs straight up to you. He grabs Suikotsu's robe and staring over Suikotsu's shoulder mutters, "They took them...My words...I can't...they took them...I don't have the words...can't say." He lets you go again, and moves to step around you. An Officer steps off the train, and the man freezes.
"There you are, Valerion. Come on old man, just come with me quietly. There's no need for trouble." He reaches out, and just as he touches Valerion on the shoulder, the bearded man hammers a fist into his throat and sprints back the way he came. The Officer doubles over, retching, gasping for air, hands scratching at his throat. Suikotsu and Rairi both move for their weapons, but before anyone can react further you all see the black-and-gold armoured figure descending from the sky. It lands calmly in front of Valerion, face hidden behind a plate visor. Desperate, the old man pulls a dagger from somewhere within his shirt and scratches it along the metal of the Justice's breastplate. As he draws it back to stab a second time, the Justice calmly punches him in the face with his spiked gauntlet. Even at a distance you can hear the bones of his face crunch, and see the splatter of blood hit the floor. An armoured elbow smacks Valerion's head sideways, then both gauntleted hands grab his back and pull him down onto the rising knee. The armour spike comes right out Valerion's back, and the dagger falls to the floor. The Justice frees himself from the body, letting it drop on top of the weapon, then sighs and bends down to grab it by the collar, pocketing the little knife. He drags the corpse behind him as he walks over to you.
"I always told you this one wouldn't come quietly, Corporal. You'd have had a better day of it if you'd let me bring him down in the beginning. These nutters are always dangerous. Trust me, I've seen enough of them. You'd have to be crazy not to want to be part of this Commonwealth anyway." The Officer still can't speak, so the Justice hooks an arm under his shoulder and lifts him into the air as easily as he lifts the still-bleeding corpse. He hasn't given any of you so much as a second glance the whole time.

You continue on your way, reaching the housing block and taking the lift up to the eighty-second floor. In this expensive part of the Sector, apartments can take up one or even two floors of a block, with more space than most people can even dream of. The door is answered by a middle-aged human woman, grey streaking through her brown hair and lines beginning to form around her eyes and mouth. She is tall and thin, and she ushers you inside quickly, but not beyond the large entrance hall.

"Well," she begins, "you all came. Suikotsu Doji - your reputation precedes you. Rairi Elrein - with your rather interesting career as an Officer so far, you will see why I requested your help soon enough. Xavier Belandin - an old friend told me you had skills beyond cooking, otherwise I would never have asked a chef into my home. Lena - I was told a venture like this would need a wizard of some sort, and your name crossed my desk. Prodigious talent but an unastounding career. Maybe we can fix that." Your greetings serve as welcome and introductions both.
"But who am I? My name is Elayanor Greene, and my husband is Raphael Greene. He is the manager of a number of production facilities in this Sector. Or was, I should say. He has been suspended, and is currently being held at the Court of Justice for questioning. He is accused with being responsible for a number of thefts. Various components, and even completed devices, have been vanishing from the production lines. They don't appear in the paperwork - just too many resources go in, and not enough finished material comes out.
"Now I know he isn't responsible. But the local Court seems convinced he is. I am asking you to prove them wrong, and find the real culprits. I love my husband, you see, and don't want people thinking I'm married to a traitor and a thief. This is for the good of the Commonwealth too, you understand, not myself. Even if he is proved innocent he will be demoted from any position of responsibility. I'm already preparing to leave these quarters - I sold most of the furnishings to the landlord so I could pay your fee once you were done. If you move quickly my help may still mean something and speed your investigation along."

Suikotsu and Rairi, your positions current and past within the Commonwealth mean the Court of Justice has provided you with basic standard living quarters during your visit to the Sector, free of charge. Lena and Xavier will have to pay for rooms, at 1sp a week for a basic room in the poorer parts of the Sector, closer to the factories.

MandibleBones
2013-03-20, 01:33 PM
Several reactions flash past Xavier's eyes, and it's a wonder he's managed to survive this long with such an expressive face. He certainly doesn't play cards. Who talked to her? he thinks. What does she think I can do? Does she know? But he looks at Reirin — an Officer? Why I am even in the same room as she is? — and the image, from earlier, of a spike appearing from the madman's back forces everything out of his mind. He tries to shake it off, but it's all he can think of... and then Xavier thinks of Xavier falling, and forgets the risks.

"Of course I'll help," he says, sincerity in his voice. "Uh, wrongful punishment weakens the Commonwealth as a whole," he adds, significantly less convincingly.

BelGareth
2013-03-20, 02:16 PM
Suikotsu stands stoicly on the monorail, one hand grabbing the handles that hung from the ceiling, low enough for most to do so, his other hand resting on the hilt of his sword at his hip, gently and casually.

The crazy man surprises him somewhat, not the crazed look on him, the stinking breath of stale air and gingivitis, but the fact that he grabbed him. Most people do not touch him, and well, he likes it that way.

His eyebrow raised at the Oracle like gibberish he spouted, it hit him like the music of a lost time, the words of a soothsayer from his memories. But he moved not, and cared not for the lost man, he was on a mission, and hopefully. If things stayed there course, this would provide him with the resources needed to continue the hunt.

Or it would provide some connections while doing it.

Nothing was ever outside the idea of hunting, everything, his life, his every breath, his very reason was his purpose. His meaning to be.

And he cared not for the wretched scum that tried to escape the law.

Fools.

Everyone.

His face and demeanor hadn't changed much since getting on the Servolift to the eighty-second floor, those coming with him obviously the others hired for the errand. They looked interesting, a feral human with wings, a two halflings, one of which looked like a mage, and the other...he couldn't tell. But he had never met a halfling not worth his salt.

He was intrigued to see how their skills would mesh as a group.

Enough so that his right eyebrow had raised at the thought. But that was it.

It lowered minutes later.

He awaits the lady to finish and bows deeply, "Indeed Lady Elayanor, it would be a pleasure to assist you in this time of need, your husband will serve the Commonwealth yet. It will not be to do so dishonored in this way."

[roll0]
Mostly to make her relaxed and to calm down, ensuring detailed information regarding the events that have taken place and to build a rapport with her.
Oh and to show off. Always that.

PersonMan
2013-03-20, 02:28 PM
Reirin is ready to take to the air as the madman rushes off, but the sudden appearance of the Justice gives her pause. The situation was under control. No need for her to intervene...and she was right. The man's knife couldn't do anything to the thick armor of the Justice, but Reirin shudders at the thought of such a lunatic running around armed. When he's outright killed, she grimaces at the sight but knows it's a grave necessity. The life she and so many others enjoyed, without worry about food or cold, would not be possible if madmen and criminals could roam free, nor if they were all contained to be fed and clothed.

Uneasy in the silence of the lift, Reirin wants to speak but doesn't. She had never been good at starting conversations, especially in a closed room like this. As the tallest in the lift - she edges out slightly ahead of the other human - she feels like she's in the spotlight. Her eyes look over her shorter companions quickly, but she can't keep her gaze from staying on the man for a few moments. Something about his expression made her feel a bit sad - he was handsome, but seemed far too unhappy for some reason. His clothing also made her self-conscious; although she would never break her vows and wear something more than simple cloth, the plain nature of her shirt and short pants, of unassuming beige fabric (the only accessory being her small messenger bag containing her important papers), make her want to duck behind something to get out of sight. Or at least not be an eye magnet with her wings...

No where near their full size, her wings are still impossible to miss, folded behind her back. They fidget fairly often, giving away her unease, especially when the armored man's eyes stray near her. Still, they retain a fairly majestic look, pure white and bearing strong flight feathers. As Reirin sees the man's eyes go over them, she self-consciously tucks her elongated, strengthened nails a bit out of sight. They were her only needed weapons and preferred 'tools of the trade', but also a clear sign of her wild heritage. Not necessarily something she wanted someone like him to see.

As they arrive, Reirin is happy to let someone else do the talking. However, the subject troubles her. She is clearly affected by the story, the emotion welling up in her visible in her posture and expression. When she steps forwards, just after Suikotsu pledges to aid the woman, she thumps her right fist against her chest, voice passionate.

"I could never refuse such a request for aid! Truly, these actions of yours are a sign of great loyalty to your husband and the Commonwealth - an innocent be convicted in the place of a criminal would be a great loss for both you and our society," Reirin's emotional response may seem somehow over the top, but it's clearly sincere, if a bit to reminiscent of propaganda writing for the tastes of some.

y2kjman
2013-03-20, 04:36 PM
Seeing the pained look in the mans face and hearing it in his voice, compassion welled up in Lena. Watching to see how the event unfolded made her remember exactly why it was, that she did what she did. As soon as the Justice arrived she carefully hid herself behind the tall winged woman, just in case. As the man was being dragged away, hatred seethed just below the surface as she told herself Now is just not the time. Let it be.

After listening intently to the womans problem, Lena tried to remember just what it was she heard about this area in case it could give her a lead.

Knowledge (Local) [roll0]

This is a travesty madam, it would be my honor to help you in your time of need.

Spellbook and Memorized Spells
Memorized Spells (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmEXhTmvYXntdEpzWEhydTdyTmg1TnBxVGV3bmJKN Wc#gid=0)
Spellbook (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmEXhTmvYXntdG5lUlRMaXM3NFR6Qnh2SnJLOHIxO Gc#gid=0)

y2kjman
2013-03-20, 04:42 PM
Knowledge (Local) [roll0]

Cogidubnus
2013-03-21, 10:18 AM
The woman relaxes at your mutual compliance, her shoulders lowering from their tense posture, the fixed smile on her face fading.
"Thank you. Thank you all. I...you will have to decide where to begin your investigations yourselves. I can give you the key to my husband's office in the heart of the Sector. It is possible his paperwork is still there, if the Officers have not already seized it. Maybe you can find a clue. I don't know what you might find - Raphael wasn't able to work out who the culprits were from it himself, but you could try. He managed Production Facilities g1 through m7, if you'd prefer to look there. I don't even know where the thefts were occurring, exactly. It could have been on the production line, or the depot, or anywhere. All I know is they never made it onto the final manifests."

Lena:

You know that the Production Facilities named cover a wide range of needs, everything from monorail engines to flight units for Justices. You also remember that there was a movement to try to encourage competitive economics as part of the Underground's interaction with the people of the Commonwealth, but as far as you know it wasn't organised or large enough to pull off this kind of regular theft to meet its aims.

MandibleBones
2013-03-21, 11:32 AM
"Does his key give us authorization to be there? In his offices, I mean?" Xavier asks. He's talking to their employer, but his eyes are fixed firmly on Officer Reirin. Need to know how much she's willing to skirt the laws to uphold the law, he thinks. And whether she blindly serves the Commonwealth's so-called Justice, or whether she follows the supposed spirit of the laws.

Cogidubnus
2013-03-21, 11:53 AM
Elayanor scratches the back of her neck nervously.
"That...is a bit of a grey area. Technically he's been suspended, so he isn't allowed in there. But I can't see how you'd be breaking the law using a key to get in. And one of the reasons I asked Officer Elrein to help was because she has the right to investigate matters as she sees fit, even though she's not a Justice. I'm sure she can convince anyone who objects that you're legitimately allowed there."

MandibleBones
2013-03-21, 12:00 PM
Xavier continues looking at Reirin, wondering if she's actually going to go for it.

PersonMan
2013-03-21, 12:25 PM
If there's anything left of her self consciousness, it doesn't show as Reirin nods and speaks.

"Of course. I don't see how the local Officers or Justices could have a problem with additional investigation. After all, all it means is a greater chance that the end conclusion is accurate. We're both after the thieves, even if we will be working in different groups with different strategies," she says, her wings extending ever so slightly as she speaks. Her voice still carries the ring of passion it had before, although it's not as noticeable now. If she notices the halfling looking at her she doesn't indicate it.

BelGareth
2013-03-21, 12:57 PM
Suikotsu merely stands back, arms folded behind him and observes as one of the halflings asks a questions regarding the authorization to investigate.

It was a good question, but not one he would have thought of.

He had always had free reign to do as he needed, hunting for his target as had taken to far and wide places, even beyond the borders of the Commonwealth, out into the wide open terrain of the Freelands.

His eyes steeled for a moment, thinking about his cold days out in the frigid wastelands.

He was bought back to the present when the human female, Reirin began talking. She was an interesting person, lacking even the modest clothing of most, but yet feeling his eyes more than usual. They were his eyes, he could look were he pleased. At least that's what he had thought, but it had been a hard long time without the comfort of the flesh and his eyes may have given off more than he had intended.

His eyebrow was raised again.

But only for a moment.

"Indeed, the Commonwealth shouldn't look at us twice if we were to investigate, but if they did, my papers are in line with the purpose here. Like the good officer, I have the capacity to investigate where I will." he says, his head c ocked to one side to look at his companions.

He moves it back towards Elayanor "Lady Elayanor, is there anything else that might be of any help, did you husband have anyone who would wish him harm, any enemies, associations with the underground, even the faintest, did he ever overshadow a fellow employee, perhaps in a promotion?" he says, smoothly and gently, so as not to overload her with questions.

y2kjman
2013-03-21, 02:45 PM
Shifting slightly, Lena starts thinking about the stories she has heard about the Underground and their aims for the area. Knowing full well their attempts to become competitive with the Commonwealth she becomes nervous, even though she does not believe that they have the capability to pull off something this big.

"These must be trying times, and I hate to ask... but, I must. There are expenses that may need to be met during such an inquiry into crimes as large as this. Might we get a small stipend to help defray these costs to make absolutely sure we get to the bottom of this?"

MandibleBones
2013-03-21, 03:15 PM
Xavier nods, seeing that both the officer and the strange, stern apparent-enforcer-of-the-law-without-an-official-title-(and-isn't-that-a-frightening-thought?) are going with this. "That satisfies me," he says. "I'm ready to go whenever the rest of you are."

Cogidubnus
2013-03-21, 03:57 PM
Elayanor shakes her head vehemently at Suikotsu's questions.
"No, of course not, he had no illegal associates. I can't understand why anyone would want to harm him - his promotions were the choices of his managers, and he was chosen for his current position by the Administration itself. And of course I will pay your expenses - I have raised the money already. Just tell me if you need recompense for anything. I will pay you a stipend for your time once this business is concluded - regardless of the outcome."

PersonMan
2013-03-21, 04:19 PM
"Do not feel that you need to pay me if we do not succeed," Reirin says, "I could not accept money from one I was unable to aid,"

Turning to her new colleagues, she is silent for a moment as she considers how to begin before she speaks once more.

"I believe that starting our investigation in his offices is a good plan for now," Reirin's gaze is mainly directed at the shorter members of the group - whenever she looks at Suikotsu she can't help but think again of how she looks and feel anxious. As such, she simply avoids the problem but not looking at him much.

If none of her comrades seen against the idea or have more questions for their employer, she will get the key from the woman and then leave to the lift. The entire time she feels very insecure about taking the lead. She was normally paired with a Justice due to her ability to generally match their speed and mobility without trouble - she took orders and wasn't used to giving them. She expects them, at least the man Suikotsu, to scoff as her attempts and take control of the group.

BelGareth
2013-03-21, 04:31 PM
Suikotsu watches as the winged woman takes lead.

How interesting.

What she said had merit, and he pointedly noticed her lack of eye contact. She must have noticed his glances, he would have to figure out a way to break the tension between them, it wouldn't be if they couldn't trust each other. Let alone look at each other.

Mentally shrugging he sighed slightly, moving to follow her as she left to cover it up with the exertion of movement.

He kept his arms behind his back and walked briskly, he would follow her lead. He was no leader himself, but would take charge if the situation merited it.

Well, the journey begins.

Something in the back of his mind told him this wasn't going to be his usual assignment...

y2kjman
2013-03-21, 04:39 PM
Looking toward Elayanor, Lena calmly and carefully chooses her next words. Interaction with people is not in her usual day to day life, and this has taken her far out of her comfort zone. I believe that is all I need.

Quickly and brusquely she turns to her new companions on this quest of intrigue, We should get going I think, while there is light anyway. Things can go bump in the night.

MandibleBones
2013-03-21, 05:53 PM
A quick grimace at the reference to things that go bump in the night, but Xavier turns away as they walk out. Once they're outside, he mutters to the rest of the group.

"If we can, we should talk to his co-workers," he says. "He might not have had illegal contacts, but a spurned lover or a co-worker who felt this Raphael had taken their job..." A pause, as if he's trying to find the right words. "The pie might be baked by the best chef in the world, but if one of the apples is even a few days too ripe or not ripe enough, it can ruin the whole thing."

And some times, the recipe itself is wrong, he thinks, but does not add out loud.

Cogidubnus
2013-03-22, 04:55 AM
You have to wait a while for a monorail - at this time of day they're pretty infrequent because most people oughtn't to be travelling - but otherwise the journey to Raphael Greene's office passes without anything worth comment. However, the building he worked in is a sky-hugging Sector Admin tower, and there are guards at the door and officials of all grades bustling about in the foyer.

y2kjman
2013-03-22, 08:20 PM
While on the monorail heading towards the office tower, Lena excuses herself for a brief moment to change. Waving her hands, her clothing seems to morph. Before any of her new acquaintances really noticed what happened, her Shiftweave had turned into a Nobles outfit. Now not only was she heading to Commonwealth Central, she felt she would look less out of place now than before. Seeing the guards at the entrance gave her a sudden urge to turn and go home, but she needed the pay... it would do her and the resistance a lot of good.

Looking about, the hustle and bustle of the day is quite unnerving. Too many people, too many sets of eyes... until she remembered this job is on the up and up.

Search Check for anything that may be out of the ordinary [roll0]
Also a listen check, just in case there is something to be heard. [roll1]

BelGareth
2013-03-23, 11:11 AM
Suikotsu moves from the Monorail at a leisurely pace, he sees the movement of activity at the building and sighs inwardly. This was going to be more of a hassle than he thought.

As he walked directly to the front door he pulled his papers from the inside of his coat, ready to bear them to any up and starting officer of the law. He was quite confident that they would suffice, his family seal had a way of shutting up most officers that knew of it.

His left hand laid comfortably on his sword handle, but he moved it down remembering that some officers didn't take kindly to the 'suggestive' stance. A quick smile splashed upon his face suddenly, as he thought about the prospect of fighting all of these officers. More at the comedy of the thought than the actual act of killing so many people.

If he sees anyone actually guarding the door he will walk up to them and present his papers.

"Good day officer, I am Suikotsu Doji, you should find my papers in order." he says with a warm smile and a glint in his eyes, a stark contrast to what he was showing moments before.
[roll0]

Diplomacy check to allow him to gain entrance, per Giants Diplomacy, DC 15 + Char level + Wis.

If no one is presently guarding the door or no one stops him, he will literally just walk in.

MandibleBones
2013-03-23, 11:26 AM
Xavier doesn't say anything and makes a concerted effort to project an "I'm with him" vibe, following after Suikotsu. His own dark clothing seems to be simple, but fits in just fine with the area... almost as though it's meant to blend in.

Yes, he's wearing his armor. Yes, it's both glamored and shadow. I suspect a Hide check might be the best way to blend in, but he's not trying to disappear. Let me know if you need something other than [roll0].

PersonMan
2013-03-24, 10:02 AM
As they arrive at the building, Reirin is originally considering going first, but during her brief hesitation Suikotsu moves first. That was fine with her - he seemed to know what he was doing. He had probably done things like this far more often than she had, after all. Investigations weren't really in her area of expertise, primarily she just helped corner and bring down especially violent criminals, seeing as that was what her abilities best suited themselves to.

As Suikotsu's expression changes, Reirin is almost visibly surprised. He seemed so different than he had been just a minute ago...for her, clear proof that he did something like this often. He knew how to talk to people, at least. Following the man, Reirin gets ready to present her own papers as well.

"I am Officer Elrein, my colleagues and I have been tasked with searching the office of Raphael Greene," she says simply. It should be enough explanation for the man, if he wanted any. He would clearly recognize that their task was for the good of the Commonwealth and of course allow them to proceed without issue...

Cogidubnus
2013-03-29, 05:59 AM
The two guards on the door blink in slight surprise.
"Sir, Madam Officer, of course, I'm sorry. We weren't told to expect you. Go right in, his office is on the 96th floor, 5th down from the top. These are your investigative team? No, of course I don't need to see their paperwork, sir, I am certain everything is in order. Please, come and go as you will." The flustered man stops rambling and steps very, very widely clear of you. He has none of the bearing or trappings of an Officer - this man is nothing more than Commonwealth security, and a dozen of them probably aren't equal to a true Officer, although there are several moving around the area.

As you move through the crowded atrium, you draw some strange looks - your weapons, Suikotsu's confident bearing and Reirin's wings aren't exactly a usual sight anywhere in the Commonwealth. But you're inside, so no one questions your presence. The elevator mysteriously empties as soon as it becomes clear you're planning on using it - blushing secretaries and messengers insisting "no, really, I'll get the next one, sir, ma'am, so sorry."

The door to Raphael Greene's office is locked, but the key you were given handles that. Closing the door behind you, you look around. The first thing you notice is the size of the office - it's no match for the Greene's apartment, but it's spacious for a workplace. The grey-and-blue carpet is soft under your feet, and so clean that even the dust of a morning's moving around the Sector leaves soft prints were you step. The middle of the room is dominated by a large, panelled, oak desk. The panels are carved with floral themes and swirl patterns. On the far side of it is a padded chair with armrests, fitting snugly up against the desk. On your side is a comfort-less wooden chair, placed so close to the desk that anyone sitting on it would have their knees pressed right against the table, or be forced to push the chair back. The lack of scuff marks on the floor show it's rarely moved. Multiple stacks of paperwork around the central workspace of the desk suggest a neat, organised workspace, but the piles are untidy, unstraightened and with loose sheafs scattered around. A ink-dip pen, decorated with gold scrollwork, sits next to a dark red pot on the right-hand side of the workspace - a silver tea set to the left. Behind the desk stand a solid row of bookcases, covering the back wall. The contents appear to be a mixture of academic texts, high-brow literature and ledgers. Chiefly ledgers. The wall to the left of the door is glass, affording impressive views across the Sector. The mid-afternoon sunshine lights up block after block of workplaces and apartment buildings, as well as the monorail tracks and the streets, tiny and far, far below. The right hand wall hosts a complicated-looking filing system, with wooden drop-boxes on sliding metal rails.

Lena:
You notice nothing out of the ordinary during your trip. In the foyer, you overhear some gossip about Raphael being arrested, but it is quickly hushed by a more paranoid co-worker.

Reirin:
You recognise the chair-and-desk setup as a standard intimidation technique designed to apply subtle pressure when interrogating witnesses. The witness either has to sit uncomfortably close to the desk, making them nervous and feel overpowered by the Officer sitting opposite, or has to push the chair away, in some way conceding victory to their interrogator and making them very self-conscious about the movement.

BelGareth
2013-03-30, 10:50 AM
Suikotus nods to the guards, he sees they were just in fact that, guards, and held no rank or authority here. This would be easy, if they needed to egress quickly.

Stepping onto the turbolift, he nodded to the secretaries and officials standing outside of it staring in. There was ample room for more, but he liked the wide berth they gave him and his new found companions, it felt like respect.

But was it respect, of course not, not for my abilities anyway, but more of the physical presence of power I would assume, the respect that can command is immense, but isn't that more intimidation that respect, the two are different, but one can beget the other. Are we intimidating, a winged woman, who refuses to wear proper clothes, 2 halflings and myself? Is that intimidating, or is it the sheer confidence I display, or even my winged companions authority. But they had not seen her papers, it would have to be something visibly ob...

His internal conversation stopped as the lift settled at the floor of departure and the doors opened with a hiss.

He stepped out and they found the office with little difficulty. Stepping in, Suikotsu stopped at the entrance way, having only taken one step into similar offices like this. His muscle memory forced him to take any more, and he awaited a command to move further.

Upon realization he shook his head and gingerly took another step.

There, I've done it. He thought to himself and sighed, quite visibly.

He looked around, and with his new found confidence, began to quietly search the room with his eyes, he kept his hands behind his back, only lifting things gingerly before replacing them.

"What are we looking for?" he said to the others, not in his element at all. There was no one to talk to or cut. He wasn't any good at looking at things.

MandibleBones
2013-03-31, 05:52 AM
Xavier walks over to the desk and starts flipping through the ledgers. "Do we know when the widgets were stolen?" he asks, having not the slightest idea what was actually produced here. "If he kept accurate records, we might be able to give him an alibi."

Digging through the ledgers to find anything that does belong. I suppose, since we have time, I'm taking 20 on my Search for a total of 32. But if we don't have time for that, [roll0] will have to do.

PersonMan
2013-03-31, 05:59 AM
Reirin isn't really used to be addressed so directly by those scampering to let the servants of the Law through. Generally the attention of the people in the area was entirely focused on the Justice she was aiding, rather than on her. Still, it was nice to get through the area quickly. After all, everyone there was aware that an efficient solving of crimes was beneficial for the entire Commonwealth - if people always parted around the Law, it could rush to where it was needed rather than being impeded in its duty.

Looking at the room, Reirin's eyes widen and she spends a few moments just looking at everything. After the first sweep, her eyes instantly settle on the smaller chair, though.

"Interesting...It seems like someone was interrogated in this room. Look at the chair, the way it's pulled up like that," Reirin says, gesturing to it. She's surprised that none of the others picked up on that detail yet, but after a moment she realizes that these weren't the Justices she normally worked with. They might not be as good at picking out such things as they were.

As Xavier begins his search, Reirin nods, following him to the ledgers and looking for ones with the more recent dates. "We should be able to narrow it down to which phase of the production the thefts occurred in, if these break it down well enough..." she murmurs. "Perhaps you could check the loose papers?" Reirin turns to Lena and Suikotsu for a moment, inclining her head towards the papers on the desk.

Aid Another on Xavier because +12 > +7.

If I can't take 10: [roll0]

EDIT: So hoping I can take 10.

If anyone has a Search modifier of over +12, we should all Aid Another them. Since there is a lot to look through, I think we could stack three of them, so they're up by another +6 if all goes well.

y2kjman
2013-03-31, 06:42 AM
Lena follows the rest of the group inside the office, standing in the back she decides to help with the papers. It seems a safe bet, physically at least.

Search [roll0] if I am not allowed to take 20. 28 if I am

Cogidubnus
2013-04-03, 04:39 AM
You spend the afternoon trawling through Raphael's paperwork. His records are pristine - they go all the way back to his previous job. They also clearly show that the thefts were first noticed 53 days ago, and have continued ever since. The missing items include orthogonal and ascending engines, wooden input and output transformers, alchemetrically hardened materials and several of the complex power source units used to guarantee the monorails always have a supply of puissance. They have occurred across the factories he managed, though never in multiple factories on the same day (as far as can be worked out - if someone was ever slow logging the received units at the depot it could create a discrepancy). Nothing suggests he was involved in the thefts - he has documented the discrepancies meticulously.

The papers on the desk are chiefly personnel reports, including interview results from Raphael's investigations into the thefts. You find nothing of especial significance in the papers which were scattered across his workspace. The interviews and personnel reports are insufficient to generate a useful suspect pool - a problem Raphael's unsent report laments. They do give you an idea of who is important in the factories Raphael managed, however, information which could prove useful if you investigate those later.

The sun is beginning to set, casting the entire Sector in an orange glow, and you still haven't found any leads. It is possible to search Raphael's office more - your time has so far been devoted to reading through his paperwork carefully rather than physically combing the furniture - or you could get down to the factories just before the night shift comes on.

y2kjman
2013-04-03, 10:36 AM
Looking tired, Lena begins to offer her perspective on the investigation, I suggest we reconvene tomorrow, I would like to try to scry for more information before beginning anew. Unless you have other avenues of approach.

BelGareth
2013-04-03, 11:36 AM
Suikotsu's eyes were hurting from all the reading, he sighed inwardly, this was not what he was trained to do, he itched for something physical to do, but he knew things like this required footwork, thank for the gods his new companions could do better than he in this instance.

"Agreed, we should rest and investigate the foreman of the factories, but, perhaps we should perform a more...rigorous investigation of this room first..."

He lets the suggestion linger

PersonMan
2013-04-03, 12:00 PM
Reirin is beginning to feel sore from standing in the same posture for essentially the entire duration of their search, but a few stretches clear that up fairly quickly. While the work was beginning to wear on her, the Officer was not one to give up quickly. If need be, she could continue combing the room for quite some time. However, searching alone wouldn't be of all that much help...

"I would be in favor of going over the room itself. There could be something hidden here that could be of use," Reirin says after a few moments.

MandibleBones
2013-04-03, 06:38 PM
"I'm definitely in favor of a break from the paperwork," Xavier admits. "Searching the room is good. He kept such meticulous records, though. I wonder if the thefts have continued since his arrest, or if the thief is laying low?"

He turns to Lena.

"As for the production line, please tell me you're a people person? I'm no good with the putting together of the words, at least not under pressure. Can't lie to save my life," he says. "And these two fairly scream 'I am a responsible authority. I punish criminal scum,' for which there is a time and place in this investigation to be sure, but..." He shrugs, unsure how much help they will be in an investigation.

BelGareth
2013-04-04, 12:35 PM
Ignoring the obvious quip about his persona, Suikotsu looks to the female human and nods, "Time to get searching."

He looks to the nearest bookshelf and starts upturning things, taking books of the shelf and shaking them, then dropping them onto the floor, he goes systematically through the bookshelf, not leaving a book, pamphlet or shelf adornment unturned.

He takes 20 on search for 24

y2kjman
2013-04-04, 06:36 PM
In a hushed tone, Lena responds to the inquiries A person of people? No, I do not consider myself one. I do not keep much company at most times, too loud to think. I am a very loyal friend to those that eventually make it to that status though. As to your other inquiry, their brand of justice makes me uncomfortable myself. The world is not so black and white, I must wonder if they have learned that painful lesson yet. At this point though, more sets of eyes are most welcome as my magicks may not be able to point us in the right direction quite yet. However, if we are to find some information or a belonging of one of our thieves I would be most happy to find them.

After speaking to Xavier, Lena's curiosity finally gets the best of her and she hears herself unexpectedly asking the question at the two named Suikotsu and Reina, somehow just knowing that Xavier would rather not speak it in such company. I am Lena, a wizard without renown. Who are you? Not just name, but in deed and in belief.

MandibleBones
2013-04-05, 06:05 AM
"Xavier Balendin," he says, "Underutilized chef, who believes that good food and good company make everything better." He shrugs. "I guess searching is going to go better than trying to infiltrate the factory and insinuate ourselves with the likely thieves to force a confession." He takes the desk itself, and likely looking corners of the room, looking for secret compartments.

Search: Take 20 for 32.

Cogidubnus
2013-04-08, 05:36 AM
Suikotsu's upturning of the study produces three gold rings, each encrusted with several gemstones. It's not clear whether they were hidden there or just left lying around.

Xavier runs his hands over the desk, tapping its panels, feeling its corners. His brow furrows in concentration. Eventually, by depressing two pieces of the decor at the same time, he causes a hidden compartment to drop open. A small steel ring rolls out, interrupting him before he can look into the compartment in more detail.

PersonMan
2013-04-08, 01:02 PM
Reirin's brow furrows at the new discovery. "This is a strange thing to find in an office like this..." she says. Turning to Lena - one with command of the forces that were both tied to her and entirely decoupled from her being - Reirin speaks again.

"Can you check them for Gramarie? They could have some purpose related to the factory or interrogations," she says. In the Commonwealth, there was always the possibility of such things being enhanced in some way. Putting them on could be risky, and they did have a mage with them...

y2kjman
2013-04-08, 05:41 PM
At the mention of her name, Lena responds; I do not have the proper spells prepared at this time. Though in the morn I will be able to not only search them for gramarie, but also hopefully find out who they belong to.

She stops talking for a few seconds, but begins again Yet I do have to wonder, did the investigation report any oddities such as this? Might we be able to access the official records? I do assume that the "Commonwealth" would keep those kinds of things before dragging people off in the dead of the night. Right? That last comment dripping with sarcasm.

MandibleBones
2013-04-09, 04:57 AM
With the rest of the group fixated on the ring, Xavier continues to check the hidden compartment more thoroughly.

PersonMan
2013-04-10, 01:06 PM
Reirin isn't sure how to respond to Lena's comments. She's surprised that the mage would say something like that - it seemed like she suspected corruption of some sort in the investigation itself. Or perhaps something even more sinister...Perhaps she was one of those conspiracy theorists she had heard about.

Deciding to leave it for now, in the hopes of keeping the group from potentially fracturing, Reirin looks at the rings more closely.

Taking 20 on Spot for 27 to check for anything interesting on the rings.

PersonMan
2013-05-01, 07:51 AM
"Is there anything else in there?" Reirin asks Xavier, a bit of doubt creeping into her mind about the innocence of their employer's husband. If he had hidden these rings inside his office, was he involved in some sort of criminal activity? Perhaps they related to the missing materials in some other fashion...

But if he himself had been either directly or indirectly stealing from the manufacturing goods, why would he document it so meticulously? Unless he had hoped to avoid suspicion by being the one to "discover" the issue.