PDA

View Full Version : An Orc for every occasion

ExemplarofAvg
2013-03-20, 01:58 PM
So I'm starting up my own campaign because the group I have is kind of bust (rant about taking a 20 minute turn and rebuilding midgame) you may have seen my post about the giant player, but this is more for me, there's 3 players so far but no one is sure what they want to play. I hope to however have a Half-Orc DMPC, I'm just wondering what class works best with a Half-Orc for the 4 options (that way I can fill in where the player doesn't)

Musco
2013-03-20, 02:08 PM
I advise against having a DMPC, period.

Just have them multiclass (heck, give them the feat for free it you want) to cover their weakness (even though it might not even be that necessary, I can see a group working with any combination of the 3 roles and the only one that might be troublesome is having no defender, if the leader class is not melee oriented).

Worst case scenario, have the 3 players gather and craft an NPC for the 4th role, and have they take turns playing him (since they crafter it together, you should have no problem with them roleplaying him/her - but DO have them roleplay the NPC, so he/she gets part of the loot, new stuff, etc, otherwise it's going to be a footstool that moves for them).

The best one I've seen was a Mute Fighter, when the group didn't have a defender, but I guess it can work for any class/role, really.

DMPCs are just... a bad idea.

I've read a million arguments about having the DMPC shore up a weakness, and etc, but as I said, just make it a mute NPC and give the sheet to the players to control (rein them in if they are abusing the character, after all, it's a person, but that's all).

The only other explanation for having a DMPC with this setup is the DM actually hasn't gotten over being a PC and wants to be one, in which case, he's better off not DM'ing at all.

ArcturusV
2013-03-20, 05:24 PM
Plus side to having the 4th man be done player side?

Plot hooks.

Seriously, even something as simple as "Find a healer who is willing to join our cadre" can be an adventure plot in and of itself. Just give them the NPC as an adventure reward. Make it known to the players that the NPC is under their control, but not a Robot. Things will eventually come up where you have to assert some NPC authority.

This gives you leeway to say things like "no" when they are trying to strip the NPC of gear, for example, or cut him out of his share of the loot. Or if they try to optimize the NPC as it levels in a way you don't necessarily want (Or feel is warranted). And leeway to have the NPC make plot hooks because s/he has a life of their own.

"I can't go with you on that adventure."

Player: "Why?"

"I need to make the yearly pilgrimage to the sacred mesa of Banalia where I will spend a week in contemplation."

Either gives the players a chance to shine sans NPC on an NPCless adventure, or an adventure hook that they might not have otherwise had.

Mandrake
2013-03-20, 06:58 PM
I agree: don't add a DMPC.

ExemplarofAvg
2013-03-20, 10:41 PM
These guys are new, like brand spankin' new, they still have the new player spell, the DMPC will be so they don't have to break character to ask "what is next" he's going to be a sort of evaluator because I was reading this (http://www.goblinscomic.com/03142013/) (specifically the bit about needing to be a licensed adventurer) and thought it was a really cool concept, that is why I want to toss the DMPC in, just for maybe the first or second session until they get the hang of it and their license.

But back to the real question I asked:
A good Half-Orc leader is a? (Insert Class name here)
A good Half-Orc defender is a? (Insert Class name here)
A good Half-Orc controller is a? (Insert Class name here)
A good Half-Orc striker is a? (Insert Class name here)

ArcturusV
2013-03-20, 11:30 PM
Heh, well, I'm not saying not to have it. I'm just saying to let the players run it, share control of it, etc. If you need to, you can still speak through it as needed. Or take control. But it's also a good learning experience.

I mean, regardless of system, I usually run into someone saying something like:

"Maaaan, we failed because YOU screwed it up! Geeze how can you not play _____? It's simple, just ______!"

... then I make them play the class they are ragging on as stupid and easy to play.

A few adventures later they stop saying things like that.

Similarly, if you're short a defender, and players are wondering why they are dying/nearly dying? They'll probably say it's because the NPC defender isn't doing it's job. Have them play the defender and then they understand the limitations of the class and how to better work with it.

So, for Half-Orc stuff...

I like Fighter, Ranger, Seeker, Warlord. I don't claim Seeker is the best. But it's struck me as a fun combo that would likely be effective, but not optimal. It's kind of underused near as I can see, probably because Wizards are strictly better. But a Half-Orc doesn't really add too much to a Wizard other than an extra 1d8 damage on an attack per encounter.

Musco
2013-03-21, 10:02 AM
That's one of the allures of having a DMPC in the first place, to "help move things along". What it ends up being, though, is a good old-fashioned Diablo quest-giver, you players won't BOTHER thinking, because they know the DMPC will eventually lead them to the right place anyway. Not to mention it makes it sound like you're writing the story to amuse yourself only, because they'll never botehr thinking, and then the DMPC will magically nudge them in the right direction (meaning they'll be thinking "oh, great, the DMPC knows the way, of course...").

When you DO decide to stop "playing" for them, they'll just be totally lost, complaining that nothing IS coming to nudge them in the right direction.

Bad idea written all over it. Been there, done that, learned the lessons.

Make a 4th character and have each one run it for some time. Eventually, someone might take a liking to running it, or you can find a 4th player.

vasharanpaladin
2013-03-21, 12:48 PM
Use the companion rules in the DMG2.

Mandrake
2013-03-21, 01:53 PM
A good Half-Orc leader is a? (Warlord)
A good Half-Orc defender is a? (Fighter)
A good Half-Orc controller is a? (Druid)
A good Half-Orc striker is a? (Rogue)

Without Essentials or PHB3 classes and considering all other sources (e.g. Power books).
These are my opinions only.
There are other suitable options, some equally good, some marginally "worse".