PDA

View Full Version : Wizard questions

chrisgray86
2013-03-20, 03:49 PM
Hey guys i am currently involved in two games one i am a binder and the newest game I have started playing is with a new group of players and I am playing a wizard with the second game. I was wondering what is the best way to protect your spell book I am currently a level 2 wizard and we started at level 1 so this is all new ground to me. Ps I have about 75 gold so I think having someone put a spell on it and paying for it is out of the question. Second I was wondering is there any type of spell like explosive runes that is for an area like putting in on the floor behind a door so if someone steps on it they go boom?

Story
2013-03-20, 03:58 PM
The best way to protect your spellbook is to not have one (Eidetic Spellcaster).

Other than that, keeping it in your Handy Haversack all the time, should be good enough. Normally, there's a sort of Gentleman's agreement not to go after spellbooks.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-03-20, 04:09 PM
I came up with this trick some time ago, and it's never failed me since.

First, use some of the options from Complete Arcane, p.140, to protect your spellbook from normal stuff - give it a hardness rating, maybe a defensive enchantment, stuff like that.

Then, quietly, take your DM aside and explain to him that you have taken precautions to protect your spellbook, but this is a show of good faith and demonstrating your commitment to roleplay. Proceed to explain that, if he actually destroys, hurts, steals or otherwise removes your spellbook, you will cry. Loudly. There will be tears, blubbering, snot, and it will be unbearably awkward. It will be unbearably awkward, but you will not leave the room, but rather stay and continue weeping in front of everyone; the session will be ruined, and probably the game as well.

Then you look your DM in the eye, flash a confident smile and a wink, and trust that you'll have no further problems.

Kazyan
2013-03-20, 04:11 PM
Alarm (level 1) will let you know if someone sneaks into your tent to steal your book, if that's what you're asking.

Story
2013-03-20, 06:16 PM
You mean someone tries to sneak into your extradimensioinal Rope Trick, right?

Kazyan
2013-03-20, 06:19 PM
You mean someone tries to sneak into your extradimensioinal Rope Trick, right?

Rope trick is a level 2 spell, and he only gets level 1 spells.

Zanthy1
2013-03-20, 07:11 PM
Eidetic Spellcaster is the way to go (Dragon Magazine 367 I believe?) However since you already started play (I assume) it is too late for that. For starters I recommend having a backup spell book. If you have an area that you frequent (an Inn or a special tree outside town?) you could bury the second guy there. At lower levels though protecting your spellbook is not the most important thing, it will generally be safe unless you die and someone loots your body.

Randomguy
2013-03-20, 07:17 PM
At level 2 you don't have many options. You can get a hidden picket of some type sowed into your clothes ( hidden pickets are in Complete Scoundrel) and a decoy spellbook filled with random scribbles.

At higher levels you can protect it with alarm, which will last almost all day by level 5. At level 8 you can extend a Hoard Gullet spell and swallow your spellbook every morning.

Daftendirekt
2013-03-20, 08:12 PM
Rope trick is a level 2 spell, and he only gets level 1 spells.

I'm fairly certain that he'll level up at some point.

Karnith
2013-03-20, 08:13 PM
Eidetic Spellcaster is the way to go (Dragon Magazine 367 I believe?)
Dragon #357, actually.

Zanthy1
2013-03-20, 09:51 PM
Dragon #357, actually.

I was close lol :smalltongue: