PDA

View Full Version : The loot table?

Gwazi Magnum
2013-03-20, 05:13 PM
I'm just curious... how exactly does the loot table work?

In over a year of D&D I have read through countless manuals, made countless characters, mutli-classed beyond extreme, successful made a beyond broken Artificer etc.

BUT... Neither I or anyone in my group has ever figured out how exactly the freaking loot table works!

Can anyone help with this? It would be nice to point to the DM how exactly we should be getting treasure rather than him going "It's my campaign, and since none of us know how the table works, I say you get far less gold than you should actually get".

jokeaccount
2013-03-20, 05:17 PM
I'm pretty sure there are instructions on the DMG for this. Otherwise, you can find scripted encounters that already have laid out loot tables for all CRs and you can have an idea of what each point of CR in battle is worth. For example if a CR 18 battle gives a vorpal sword, you might say that YOUR CR 18 battle gives a five properties magical sword (whatever those are is up to you)

Gwazi Magnum
2013-03-20, 05:21 PM
We've all looked in the DMG already.

They word it in such a way and the table is displayed in such a way that none of us can truly understand what they mean.

+Does a monsters treasure rating relate to an encounters loot drop or are those two different systems?

Fates
2013-03-20, 05:23 PM
It's actually fairly simple.

-Based on the CR of the encounter, roll for loot on page 52 of the DMG. Roll once on the d% for coins, once for goods, and once for items.
EDIT: That is, assuming that the monster had standard loot. If the monster description says something like "triple standard," roll three for each. If it says "No goods, double items", roll one for coins, and twice for items. Etc.

-For coins, just roll and multiply as listed. For goods, roll for gems or art on the tables on page 55. For mundane items, roll on the table on page 56. For magic items, roll on table 7-1 on page 216 for the type of item (rolling in the minor, medium, or major column as per your initial roll on page 52). Then, roll on the table for that kind of item. For weapons and armour, you'll need to roll a few things.

Hope this helps, and that I don't get Ninja'd.

Gwazi Magnum
2013-03-20, 05:35 PM
It's actually fairly simple.

-Based on the CR of the encounter, roll for loot on page 52 of the DMG. Roll once on the d% for coins, once for goods, and once for items.
EDIT: That is, assuming that the monster had standard loot. If the monster description says something like "triple standard," roll three for each. If it says "No goods, double items", roll one for coins, and twice for items. Etc.

-For coins, just roll and multiply as listed. For goods, roll for gems or art on the tables on page 55. For mundane items, roll on the table on page 56. For magic items, roll on table 7-1 on page 216 for the type of item (rolling in the minor, medium, or major column as per your initial roll on page 52). Then, roll on the table for that kind of item. For weapons and armour, you'll need to roll a few things.

Hope this helps, and that I don't get Ninja'd.

Wow, reading your post and relooking at the tables makes it much easier to understand now, thanks! :)

Fates
2013-03-20, 05:37 PM
Wow, reading your post and relooking at the tables makes it much easier to understand now, thanks! :)

Glad to hear it! You're welcome.

TuggyNE
2013-03-20, 07:21 PM

Technically, it's the EL of the encounter (based on the CR of the monsters, traps, and hazards involved), but that's basically correct. :smallsmile:

ddude987
2013-03-20, 08:01 PM
I'm just curious... how exactly does the loot table work?

In over a year of D&D I have read through countless manuals, made countless characters, mutli-classed beyond extreme, successful made a beyond broken Artificer etc.

BUT... Neither I or anyone in my group has ever figured out how exactly the freaking loot table works!

Can anyone help with this? It would be nice to point to the DM how exactly we should be getting treasure rather than him going "It's my campaign, and since none of us know how the table works, I say you get far less gold than you should actually get".

So you use both the DMG and the monsters table. You look at the cr of the encounter. You then roll whatever the monster says. Standard means each category once. Double of a certain category means that category twice etc. The rest should be self explanatory.